Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

fspades posted:

You guys are forgetting one important detail: Paradox Dev Studio won't make an rpg; it's outside their expertise (they tried once with that viking game but weren't satisfied with its progress and scrapped the project). But Paradox published Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity and it was a great financial success for them. And I'm pretty sure Obsidian once mentioned they were seriously considering doing a WoD game and approached WW for it just before CCP bought them. They are setting this up for Obsidian.

Chris Avellone Mage game, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Onyx Path Publishing ‏@TheOnyxPath 6m6 minutes ago

Delighted about our new friends at @PdxInteractive! Can't wait to work with you.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

quote:

We’re targeting people who are 35 or older, typically,” said Wester. “That’s what we have with World of Darkness. People who are at least 25 and older who are looking for something more gritty.”

Oh good an rpg company targeting old grognards. Finally!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Does this mean there's a shot of us getting a new WoD RPG by Obsidian?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Kiiiinda worried that that the blurb http://www.whitewolf-publishing.com/ basically stops as soon as oWoD does, and none of their press materials even mention nWoD. Really hope it doesn't get thrown under a bus to appease the old grognards who are already asking for nWoD to be scrapped :ohdear:

Not to mention the big header for that page is "One World of Darkness"...

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Prison Warden posted:

Oh good an rpg company targeting old grognards. Finally!

I think that's a typo, since literally two sentences later he says "25 and older"

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

Kiiiinda worried that that the blurb http://www.whitewolf-publishing.com/ basically stops as soon as oWoD does, and none of their press materials even mention nWoD. Really hope it doesn't get thrown under a bus to appease the old grognards who are already asking for nWoD to be scrapped :ohdear:

quote:

“We’re going to start licensing out the brand again from the beginning,” said Wester. “We’ll start with one World of Darkness. We’ll start, basically, from day one to unite the community under one flag.”
Sure sounds that way.

This is gonna be.. something.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

But hey! Now the same company owns both Mage and the hit MOBA Magicka: Wizard Wars.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Wizard Wars is not a MOBA.

YakOnFir
Aug 16, 2015

Flavivirus posted:

Maybe this is why Beast sounds like an OWOD addition since they knew this was happening and are incompetent.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Immediately taking a steaming dump on a big portion of their fanbase would be a weird decision for Paradox to take, to say the least. I'd say there's a fairly small chance of nWOD actually getting thrown under the bus. I'd say "no chance", but I have the leering skull of Mike Mearls hovering behind my left shoulder atm

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Lightning Lord posted:

Chris Avellone Mage game, anyone?

Avellone is no longer with Obsidian, unless something's changed quite recently.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Every White Wolf-branded video game we get will be set in the old World of Darkness and none will so much as acknowledge that the new one exists. Why? It's because of the Exarchs, dummy!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Also, Mage is almost uniquely un-video game-able without chucking improvisation and a bunch of spell categories wholesale or an utterly brilliant design team.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I could do it. Hire me, Blizzard.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
On a side note, they list Madrid's TenebraeCon in the "upcoming events" list at the bottom, and that one's been cancelled for a week already.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

quote:

“We’re going to start licensing out the brand again from the beginning,” said Wester. “We’ll start with one World of Darkness. We’ll start, basically, from day one to unite the community under one flag.”
Right, so they have abso-loving-lutely zero understanding of the WoD fanbases. Gotcha.

This really fills me with nothing but apprehension.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Cable posted:

On a side note, they list Madrid's TenebraeCon in the "upcoming events" list at the bottom, and that one's been cancelled for a week already.

I would joke that if it was in the US they could just meet up at a Denny's because I have seriously seen multiple WoD groups there in the less than 10 times I have ever been in a Denny's.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Stuff like this is very rarely good news for Things-As-They-Are, and I wouldn't be shocked if the licenses were completely revoked and then renegotiated with some kind of bidding process. Which sucks for OPP, and probably for the product itself, but you know. Business.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Right, so they have abso-loving-lutely zero understanding of the WoD fanbases. Gotcha.

Yeah that's certainly... ominous. Was this something anybody wanted? I get that it's marketing speak. But wasn't one of the most praised decisions of OP allowing both WoDs to co-exist? "Uniting" the fan base is a surefire way to get the fan base to rip itself to shreds.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Yawgmoth posted:

It is possible, perhaps even likely, that Paradox sees the current WoD fanbase as something holding back the brands they've just purchased, rather than something to be catered to.

Mendrian posted:

Yeah that's certainly... ominous. Was this something anybody wanted? I get that it's marketing speak. But wasn't one of the most praised decisions of OP allowing both WoDs to co-exist? "Uniting" the fan base is a surefire way to get the fan base to rip itself to shreds.

It's something Paradox wanted. They own the IP now. The only opinion that demands respect here is theirs.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
It's kind of amazing the hands-off CCP approach was allowed to last as long as it did, but at least it resulted in a lot of good games. They can't unprint them.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Well...huh.

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/659784786479738880

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Crion posted:

It is possible, perhaps even likely, that Paradox sees the current WoD fanbase as something holding back the brands they've just purchased, rather than something to be catered to.

It's something Paradox wanted. They own the IP now. The only opinion that demands respect here is theirs.
They can demand respect all they want, but if they poo poo on 100% of their existing (potential) customer base by even implying either of these statements, what they'll find is that they paid a lot of money for the privilege of being the last one at the table. They can certainly try to court both groups and they can try to make system and setting that appeals to two very disparate styles of play, but the odds of them being successful are roughly equal to 5e D&D outselling Pathfinder.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Change is baaaaaaaaad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

As long as my copy of M20 shows up I don't really care what else happens.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

An OPP rep (VonAether, not sure who that is) has said on reddit they don't anticipate any business interruptions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiteWolfRPG/comments/3qp530/paradox_buys_white_wolf_including_world_of/cwh7s87

This could mean anything from Paradox is probably not going to do anything to OPP will be dispensed with the second their contracts expire.

Really this is all baseless speculation over the whole "one WoD" thing. They also say they "have a deep respect and love for the fans and co-creators of the World of Darkness in all its various incarnations" which holds as much weight.

It's quite likely Paradox are simply focusing on VtM in their press release materials because it's far and away the most notable and valuable piece of White Wolf IP.

Are Paradox really ready to be the co-owners of Kindred the Embraced though?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I want to be optimistic. I really want to.

I'm just...scared.

At least a little buoyed by the fact that Shams Jorjani favorited my tweet to him about treating both lines respectfully, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just hope I get Wraith 20 before it all goes to poo poo. That would be the perfect capstone to the Wraith "curse."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Here's your news update for Hour 6 of the Paradox Crisis,

Phil Brucato had this to say on facebook:

quote:

Phil Brucato
Martin Eriksson, the guy in charge of the WoD, is good people and an old friend of several WoD developers. I think he will do right by everyone.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Feeling less bad now.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
this is a terrifying time of fear hope and paranoia... oh god we are in WoD

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I would not be shocked if they want to use the classic WoD stuff for their video game brandings and want that to be "The World of Darkness," which does not mean they could not also publish or support these established other games, possibly under some alternative naming/branding scheme. I mean generally people are playing "Werewolf: The Forsaken" more than they're playing "New WOD," I guess.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

I would not be shocked if they want to use the classic WoD stuff for their video game brandings and want that to be "The World of Darkness," which does not mean they could not also publish or support these established other games, possibly under some alternative naming/branding scheme. I mean generally people are playing "Werewolf: The Forsaken" more than they're playing "New WOD," I guess.

On the other hand, if any publisher is going to give a chance to lesser known game lines, it would be Paradox. Those people thrive at going after niche things.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Nessus posted:

Even this doesn't prevent NWoD stuff from being utilized - maybe Requiem becomes an alternate universe in some video game.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Yawgmoth posted:

They can demand respect all they want, but if they poo poo on 100% of their existing (potential) customer base by even implying either of these statements, what they'll find is that they paid a lot of money for the privilege of being the last one at the table. They can certainly try to court both groups and they can try to make system and setting that appeals to two very disparate styles of play, but the odds of them being successful are roughly equal to 5e D&D outselling Pathfinder.

100% of their current existing customer base is a dying cottage industry. As their announcements so far have shown, they're thinking about the White Wolf IP for a much larger, more lucrative audience -- videogame players. The best possible outcome is that they see what OPP is doing as so inconsequential to the brand that they continue to ignore it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Crion posted:

100% of their current existing customer base is a dying cottage industry. As their announcements so far have shown, they're thinking about the White Wolf IP for a much larger, more lucrative audience -- videogame players. The best possible outcome is that they see what OPP is doing as so inconsequential to the brand that they continue to ignore it.

Well apparently the Paradox employees who are going to be involved with managing the White Wolf IP are fans of the tabletop games, and not in the "We're all big fans here" corpspeak sense. OPP makes money because of their business model, and they will be paying Paradox. The WoD tabletop games do not and will not interfere in any way with any video game plans. I really see no reason for anything to dramatically change based on that. They're not Hasbro, who don't even really care about D&D except as a vehicle for video games to be made, and seem to remain deeply ignorant about the realities of the tabletop RPG industry.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 29, 2015

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Lightning Lord posted:

Well apparently the Paradox employees who are going to be involved with managing the White Wolf IP are fans of the tabletop games

The new lead Storyteller for the World of Darkness at Paradox is the guy who modeled for the picture of Dracula in V20. He is very much a long-standing fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

After twitter talks with Paradox folk, I am gonna be cautiously optimistic.

Plus, apparently Obsidian wants to talk to them about White Wolf games now.