Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Phone posted:

My main takeaways were that CNBC is a lieberal news org and that Rick Santelli is a communist.

About the access thing, like seriously who gives a poo poo? The loving Blaze cannot stand up a cable news channel that quickly. What's the other option? Fifteen "debates" on Fox News? The purpose of getting off the ranch is to convince people that aren't 100% in the RWM hole. If CNBC, or any other news org, decided to actually have these things called "rules" and have the audacity to cut off people's mics, maybe the narrative wouldn't have been "CNBC is a joke".

hilarious because Rick Santelli had a large hand in 'founding' the Tea Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Trabisnikof posted:

lol if CNBC had cut off mics the audience would have started throwing things at the moderators.

Moderator: Sorry, your time is up and we need to move to the next question
Candidate: Let me just say one more thing
Moderator: Uhhh...uhhh ok, I guess.

Much better.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Zeroisanumber posted:

That is the dumbest poo poo that I've ever heard in my life. We'd laugh him out of the building before he even got more than one foot in the door.

The piece's thesis is loving stupid but boy did I enjoy reading this part:

quote:

Bush’s fundamental problem is that the logic behind his candidacy—the reasonably conservative, but plausibly electable former governor of an important swing state should be a nationally viable presidential candidate—doesn’t appeal to Republican primary voters who’d rather hear Holocaust revisionism from non-politicians who genuinely believe the popular folk myths of the tribal conservative movement. Unable to make any case for himself on the merits, Bush has been stuck in a holding pattern, waiting for his more fervent opponents to flame out. But they haven’t yet flamed out, and each time Bush faces a conservative audience, their hate for him just intensifies.

Without any actual message, Bush has just been bumbling around, acting like the worst sort of Bush: peevish, resentful, out-of-touch, and incapable of going off-script without embarrassing himself. Having raised more than $133 million, all Jeb Bush’s campaign has accomplished is allowing Donald Trump to normalize the long-taboo notion that George W. Bush bears some responsibility for not preventing the 9/11 attacks.

The Bushes are East Coast establishmentarians in a party than long ago moved its spiritual base to the Bible Belt. Their political successes have required quite a bit of adaptation. George H. W. Bush abandoned both his critique of Reaganomics and his support for reproductive rights. George W. Bush convincingly portrayed himself as a born-again evangelical (which he actually probably isn’t, at least according to the usual evangelical definition of “born again”). Jeb Bush has no policy positions that violate the sacred tenets of movement conservatism, but he is running against people who are genuine movement conservatives (well, and Trump, who is just an old-fashioned white populist), and he plainly isn’t one. And the great political skill of the Bush family has always been fundraising, not campaigning.

Trying to appeal to the sort of idiots who back Dr. Ben Carson for president is a mug’s game. It is demeaning and, thus far, fruitless. Worst of all, Jeb Bush is doing possibly irreparable damage to the Bush family legacy—specifically, their aura of power. Republicans rejecting a Bush should seem impossible. If it happens on this grand a scale, the entire edifice collapses.

That is a real possibility, and it’s one the family seems aware of. In a New York Times story last weekend, Jonathan Martin and Matt Flegenheimer presented a portrait of an aged and angry George H. W. Bush, looking on in disgust at what has become of his Republican Party.

quote:

More is at stake in this race than Jeb Bush’s political career, friends of the family say. The Bush name has been prominent in national politics for three decades, and a rejection of the younger son by the electorate, especially in the primary, could be deeply wounding to a family proud of its role in American history.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phone posted:

My main takeaways were that CNBC is a lieberal news org and that Rick Santelli is a communist.

About the access thing, like seriously who gives a poo poo? The loving Blaze cannot stand up a cable news channel that quickly. What's the other option? Fifteen "debates" on Fox News? The purpose of getting off the ranch is to convince people that aren't 100% in the RWM hole. If CNBC, or any other news org, decided to actually have these things called "rules" and have the audacity to cut off people's mics, maybe the narrative wouldn't have been "CNBC is a joke".

American journalism is locked in a cage match right now with circulation being the prize. So if a candidate is like "If you don't stop hurting my feelings I won't let you ride on my campaign bus anymore" instead of all the press corps going "Oh word, well you do that we will as a unit retaliate by not covering your campaign and then you are dead in the water" they go "good, good, more ratings/papers sold/website hits for me".

Also Fox News is always going to defect in this particular Prisoner's Dilemma which means everyone is going to follow their lead.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

happyhippy posted:

All future debates should be hosted by 3 clones of Sean Hannity.
Only way the Republicans will be happy and there will be none of this gotcha poo poo.

I can't believe they were literally being asked questions about things their respective platforms, and they started crying about 'gotcha journalism.'

What a bunch of crybaby shitheads. :qq: I can't lie without repercussions up here and it's your faults. :qq:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
CNBC had literally nothing to lose and they still chose the most pathetic path.

Option 1: Tell these clowns to take a knee and shut the gently caress up when grown folks is talking.

Outcome 1: CNBC was so mean to me and I'll never ever go back!!!

Option 2: Let the candidates seize the reins and poo poo all over the entire premise of a debate.

Outcome 2: CNBC was so mean to me and I'll never ever go back!!! (Despite the fact that none of them adhered to any rules outside of "don't get caught sleeping")

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HappyHippo posted:

[/quote]
Yes let me drink those sweet Bush tears

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Weird to refer to O'Malley as a real candidate.

O'Malley is inarguably way more of a real candidate then Jeb Bush.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah, loving JEB is the reason no one takes the Bushes seriously anymore. Was this written by Rip Van Winkle?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Phone posted:

American journalism has been extremely subservient to power for decades and decades, as zoux said- it's about access, not truth. Access means you can report on what they say, which improves your ratings.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Paul Ryan is the 62nd speaker of the House.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like, why the gently caress are they letting people polling at 5 percent into debates? Or one percent? Because they don't want to be accused of picking winners and losers so we all have to play this game like Bobby Jindal can be the next president of the US instead of saying "well, poll better if you want to be a real presidential candidate". It is a massive disservice to the process to have 10 candidates.

Oh and since these massive clusterfuck debates are drawing so many viewers, that's gonna be how we do things from now on.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

American journalism is locked in a cage match right now with circulation being the prize. So if a candidate is like "If you don't stop hurting my feelings I won't let you ride on my campaign bus anymore" instead of all the press corps going "Oh word, well you do that we will as a unit retaliate by not covering your campaign and then you are dead in the water" they go "good, good, more ratings/papers sold/website hits for me".

Also Fox News is always going to defect in this particular Prisoner's Dilemma which means everyone is going to follow their lead.

And then they wondered why so many people tuned into John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

Like, why the gently caress are they letting people polling at 5 percent into debates? Or one percent? Because they don't want to be accused of picking winners and losers so we all have to play this game like Bobby Jindal can be the next president of the US instead of saying "well, poll better if you want to be a real presidential candidate". It is a massive disservice to the process to have 10 candidates.

Oh and since these massive clusterfuck debates are drawing so many viewers, that's gonna be how we do things from now on.

Why are candidates being let in at 5%? Because the top performer still is only like 25%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why are candidates being let in at 5%? Because the top performer still is only like 25%.

So why were three candidates polling at one percent let into the Democratic debate?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

Bobby jindal isn't serious enough to force even news organizations willing to let ten people on stage pretend he has a shot.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zoux posted:

So why were three candidates polling at one percent let into the Democratic debate?

look, do you wanna be the guy who made Lincoln Chafee cry?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

It would look improper to not give them a shot for at least one debate, especially considering all the whines about "We need more debates". The next one's already down to 3.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
One a few of these randos run out of money, the polls will shift pretty dramatically. I mean aren't a lot of big donors/endorsers sort of sitting on their hands right now, waiting to see which non-Trump or Carson candidate starts to seem convincingly presidential?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Still ridiculous to let folks below 4% into the debate (Christie, Huckabee, Kaisch, and Paul, seriously?), but that's just my opinion and the clusterfuck of people seems to make for good TV anyway. :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Still ridiculous to let folks below 4% into the debate (Christie, Huckabee, Kaisch, and Paul, seriously?), but that's just my opinion and the clusterfuck of people seems to make for good TV anyway. :)

Politics is supposed to be boring goddamn it!!!!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The most important part of the republican clowncar debates is that they cripple the early primary process for them, which is good for America.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Do you really want cable TV networks making arbitrary decisions on who should be allowed on that stage?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Do you really want cable TV networks making arbitrary decisions on who should be allowed on that stage?

No, having a set threshold or other set requirements is the opposite of arbitrary. The absurd thing you just said is the reason they have to pretend like everyone has an equal chance at being president.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's a combination of Trump and the last time in 2012.
Back in 2012 everyone had a turn being top runner for a month or two, gently caress Gingrich was top runner for like 3 months if I recall correctly.
And as Trump is not a 'true' Republican in their eyes, they don't want a situation where kicking a potential front runner who is only 3% atm from dropping out and giving Trump that 3%.
That's how I see it anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Joementum posted:

I did not know that Ryan was once a waiter at the Tortilla Coast. That's hilarious.

:vince:

No way

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ayn Rand-loving, cool-youth-Republican, serious-numbers-guy Paul Ryan is now Speaker of the House. What is this stupid loving country?

Is Ryab the youngest and/or least senior Speaker ever

HappyHippo posted:

[/quote]

Good

Bushes delanda eat

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

happyhippy posted:

It's a combination of Trump and the last time in 2012.
Back in 2012 everyone had a turn being top runner for a month or two, gently caress Gingrich was top runner for like 3 months if I recall correctly.
And as Trump is not a 'true' Republican in their eyes, they don't want a situation where kicking a potential front runner who is only 3% atm from dropping out and giving Trump that 3%.
That's how I see it anyway.

I firmly believe the only bias in the media is profit margin, so they don't give a gently caress if Donald Trump is ideologically correct or not. CNN has run more than 2500 stories on Trump since he announced, more than anyone else, because CNN chases ratings the hardest out of all the 24 hour networks. The media loves Trump, his stories write themselves and he draws eyeballs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

No, having a set threshold or other set requirements is the opposite of arbitrary. The absurd thing you just said is the reason they have to pretend like everyone has an equal chance at being president.

Of course it's arbitrary. It's a random number that someone pulled out of their rear end based on an arbitrary group of polls.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

DOOP posted:

Is Ryab the youngest and/or least senior Speaker ever

He's not the youngest, but he's the youngest in 150 years according to google.

James G. Blaine was 39 when he took office in 1869. Paul Ryan is 45.

A certain Robert T. Hunter is the youngest speaker, elected in December 16, 1839. He was 30 years old.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 29, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have to think more will drop out by the next debate. I thought Jindal had essentially quit anyway?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
If they really want to keep everyone above 1% in, they should at least split it up, make the debates 7 and 7 or something instead of 4 and 10

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gyges posted:

There was a story just this week about how Rubio's team was sure that physical presence was over rated and was running an almost entirely electronic campaign. Iowa and New Hampshire are going to be interesting as gently caress if a lot of these campaigns attempt to use a cheaper alternative to a traditional ground game.
I can't see that working at all. Not even from the biases of what I've been taught working elections, just from my education and experience online. It assumes a deeper market penetration and heavier use than is present, even in major social networks like Twitter. It will be an interesting experiment though.

Rubio has a bigger problem in the states coming up and his affinity for them. Does anyone think he will win Iowa, NH, or SC? Of those only NH strikes me as possible but that depends on Trump, Bush, Kaisch, and Paul getting out. Nevada I can see him doing well in but after that is the "SEC primary" where my money is on Cruz dominating. I see him maybe getting 3 states out of those and none of them high delegate or strong GOP. Same for Super Tuesday, maybe 4-5 out of that bloc. As it stands by the end of march I see Cruz, Trump having the most and Rubio at #3

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Of course it's arbitrary. It's a random number that someone pulled out of their rear end based on an arbitrary group of polls.

Yes, and if you set that number far ahead of time so you know in advance that your debate is only going to star the key players, you can at least have a claim to neutrality, so it's only arbitrary based on your own arbitrariness rather than the polls themselves.

But that's not what happened, and I'll get my more focused debates once the primaries start actually happening and people start dropping out and/or we finally reach the general debates.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I firmly believe the only bias in the media is profit margin, so they don't give a gently caress if Donald Trump is ideologically correct or not. CNN has run more than 2500 stories on Trump since he announced, more than anyone else, because CNN chases ratings the hardest out of all the 24 hour networks. The media loves Trump, his stories write themselves and he draws eyeballs.

gently caress yeah, that too.
But you are not hearing the top few atm complaining about the lower half of the candidates, not at least as loud as they complain about the debate moderators.
Only Tump is saying 'why bother debate you, you only have 1%', the others are strangely quiet about it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mr Jaunts posted:

If they really want to keep everyone above 1% in, they should at least split it up, make the debates 7 and 7 or something instead of 4 and 10

The time for that would have been before the first debate, but now that Fox has set the format it's never going to change until all the "undercard" candidates drop out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

happyhippy posted:

gently caress yeah, that too.
But you are not hearing the top few atm complaining about the lower half of the candidates, not at least as loud as they complain about the debate moderators.
Only Tump is saying 'why bother debate you, you only have 1%', the others are strangely quiet about it.

Yeah, I think it's because he's the only one (and Carson now I guess, but Carson doesn't really do stuff) polling high enough. What, is Rand Paul or Chris Christie gonna bust on someone's polling numbers?

Mulva posted:

The time for that would have been before the first debate, but now that Fox has set the format it's never going to change until all the "undercard" candidates drop out.

We're probably going to have undercard debates from now on too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I'll remember this the next time people bitch about the media not letting third parties have a fair shot.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah and CNBC was really caught off guard by the candidates getting that truthiness matters more than facts. They just couldn't really handle candidates just lying or completely ignoring the rules collaboratively.

I really want to know why they aren't to the point of cutting off mics when time is up. It's really hard to whine about the media when your voice isn't being broadcast. Make them raise their hands like the schoolchildren they are if they want to speak.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

as above, so below

• Locked thread