Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Montasque posted:

Warm kiss of death, good bye Jeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Shifty Pony posted:

The NYTimes article about Rubio's longtime relationship with and advocacy for the interests of a billionaire donor will probably serve as a good starting point. Fits with the "I can't be bought like these other idiots already have been" stuff Trump has done.

The immigration ranting that brought Trump into the limelight in the first place is also a reasonable avenue of attack.

In the general Rubio is the one that most concerns me, but that is likely just because I know so little about him and any potential skeletons he has.

Yeah, Trump will probably use these issues as an avenue of attack.

I think the bigger problem is that Rubio a) is a weaker candidate compared to Trump, b) he comes off more as a plastic politician which is a liability this cycle, and c) he doesn't inspire the base. But as long as a candidate isn't trash (like Jeb or Walker), manufactured media narratives (i.e. propaganda) and countless PAC money attack ads can make a difference, so let's see what happens.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

nachos posted:

Jeb is dead Walker is dead early polls matter superpac money doesn't matter the party doesn't decide hail satan

It's not that those things don't matter, but that Jeb and Walker are so bad as individual candidates that those advantages weren't enough to save them.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Half of me expects Jeb! to drop out just because he doesn't want to be sent out onto another debate stage. He's like a gazelle in a herd of hyenas.

Remember when he said he wouldn't run unless he could run with joy in his heart? I see terror, confusion, sadness, and resentment, but not a trace of joy.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Trump shouldn't have backed down on the H-1B Visa issue. It's a total sham program meant to supply large tech companies with foreign indentured servants while allowing them to claim they aren't outsourcing while still depressing wages and firing middle class Americans. Trump should have destroyed Rubio on this, just like on his website.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

memy posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but, I feel bad for jeb

He's just so bad at this and people keep making GBS threads on him and he can't stop them

Just remember Terry Schaivo and any feelings of pity for JEB!@$@#?! will pass quickly and quietly, unlike Terry Schiavo.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!
He should be fair to himself: his entire family and everything they represent are also being rejected by the electorate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To me it's pretty obvious that he's not running because he really wanted to. Either that, or he assumed that the nomination was his and he could just sit back and do nothing while still getting it. Regardless, he looks miserable and I'm sure after that performance the donors are going to jump ship.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Dahbadu posted:

Yeah, Trump will probably use these issues as an avenue of attack.

I think the bigger problem is that Rubio a) is a weaker candidate compared to Trump, b) he comes off more as a plastic politician which is a liability this cycle, and c) he doesn't inspire the base. But as long as a candidate isn't trash (like Jeb or Walker), manufactured media narratives (i.e. propaganda) and countless PAC money attack ads can make a difference, so let's see what happens.
Why is that a problem (and for whom), though?

For the record, I continue to think that the issue is that the Republican base is split *three*-way (well, four-way, but no one cares about Paul and his libertarians). Into Trumpists, Evangelists and Establishment. And each of the three groups has around the same support. It's a stalemate.

The thing I sincerely do not understand and I'd love to know more about is, though - don't the party structures have a say at all? In the Democratic primary, this is a thing - Hillary already has a lot of endorsements, and this is the party saying that they prefer to work with her. And, I mean, can't the party structures indicate that, hey, OK, a lot of people among the voters may support Trump, but we're really not willing to work with him?

The whole idea that just anyone, not experienced with working with a party, not endorsed by a party, could register at the last moment as a member and essentially hijack their internal processes.... with hindsight, that's what strikes me as the most weird thing about this whole affair. I feel terribly inexperienced.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

My take is that Jeb is running because he wanted to be president. He's losing (or lost) because the landscape is different, there's a wrecking ball named Trump in the race, and Jeb isn't a very strong candidate based on the dynamics of the race. I actually think that Jeb is busting his rear end, but his best isn't good enough.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
ya did a great jerb, jeb

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Don't lie, you pulled that leftover take straight out of the refrigerator.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

meristem posted:

For the record, I continue to think that the issue is that the Republican base is split *three*-way (well, four-way, but no one cares about Paul and his libertarians). Into Trumpists, Evangelists and Establishment. And each of the three groups has around the same support. It's a stalemate.

The thing I sincerely do not understand and I'd love to know more about is, though - don't the party structures have a say at all?

Well, no. When you have three factions, there's a wide viability of candidates who can jump in. Christie and Huckabee are both losers at 3%, but they can stay in for a while and sell books.

On the Democratic side, there are really two schools: Leftism and Center-Leftism, which is why there are only two real candidates.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
So far, every debate has forced a republican out of the race. Will it be Jeb this time? That's how we would now that we just entered crazy-town.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I'm reasonably convinced Kasich kept wandering off stage during every commercial to do a bump of cocaine.

Kasich is a weed man

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So far, every debate has forced a republican out of the race. Will it be Jeb this time? That's how we would now that we just entered crazy-town.

While I'll not disagree that Jeb!'s chances are rapidly dwindling, there's still enough of the bottom-feeders clinging to the bottom rungs that we may see one or more of them shake out before it's his turn to drop. Personally, I'm hoping Jindal bites it next.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Guys, I'm afraid for Smoothrich. We haven't heard anything from him post-debate. Is he OK?

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Golden Bee posted:

Well, no. When you have three factions, there's a wide viability of candidates who can jump in.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

All the kiddie debate people should drop except Lindsey because I want him on the same stage as Trump at some point

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Lets think about how poo poo Jeb! was at the debate:

- For about a week he's been telegraphing that he's going to hit Rubio on missing votes in the Senate - Got nuked for it.
- He actually took the fantasy football question seriously, instead of smashing it like Christie did.
- Was constantly ignored or talked over by other candidates and the moderators.
- In a "do or die" debate only Rand Paul spoke less.

Who is running Jeb's campaign? He should fire them immediately.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While I'll not disagree that Jeb!'s chances are rapidly dwindling, there's still enough of the bottom-feeders clinging to the bottom rungs that we may see one or more of them shake out before it's his turn to drop. Personally, I'm hoping Jindal bites it next.

Since we're already in bizarroland - what's to stop any given candidate from just staying in the race indefinitely? If they don't have anything better to go back to, why not keep going on a hope and a prayer and $5? If you're the type of person to run this particular race in the first place, it beats sitting at home and watching this shitshow on TV.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
I've been saying a while that anyone who thinks Bush could pull a come-back was crazy, but even I'm shocked at how terrible he is. I'm not even sure he can make it to Iowa at this point-the money is going to completely dry up and his campaign apparatus is setup on the assumption he has a lot of cash to throw around.

Also good Lord were those moderators terrible.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Lord of Pie posted:

Kasich is a weed man

Well, you know what they say about gateway drugs.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Those sorts of candidates can limp on in a way that I don't think Bush can or even wants to. He's going to have to dial back staff even further and at some point it's just embarrassing and an admission of defeat in itself.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
From Joyful Tortoise to Sad Turtle: The Jeb Bush Story

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Listening to Colin Cowherd right now.

He's calling for a Trump channel during debates that just keeps a camera focused on him at all times.

I can get behind this.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

The Atlantic gets some of its own vicious kicks in on the ¡Jeb! campaign.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/10/jeb-bush-struggles/413014/

I was listening to the radio this morning, and a POLITICO writer literally called Jeb a "beta".

I'd say we're about a week or two away from seeing mainstream media headlines like "Jeb Bush: Cucked out of the race?".

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Boosted_C5 posted:

Listening to Colin Cowherd right now.

He's calling for a Trump channel during debates that just keeps a camera focused on him at all times.

I can get behind this.

Part of me is surprised Trump doesn't already have his own television channel.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Former New Hampshire Senator Judd Gregg is endorsing Jeb!

Judd Gregg must not have cable.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

Former New Hampshire Senator Judd Gregg is endorsing Jeb!

Judd Gregg must not have cable.

Someone has to speculate in penny stocks.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, and speaking of POLITICO, here's a Fun Flashback:

Jeb Bush Is Meaner Than He Looks (July 2015)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Here's an article talking about something interesting in the debate that got drowned out in the free for all craziness. Only Huckabee went against cutting Medicare/Social Security

quote:

On Social Security New Jersey Gov. Chis Christie said the only way to keep the program sustainable in the long term was to raise the retirement age for younger workers and end the practice of extending it to all retirees no matter how high their income. "The government has lied to you and stolen from you," Christie said. "Let's tell people the truth."

"Today Congress decided to take $150 billion from Social Security," said former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee referring to the deal between congressional Republicans and the Obama administration to raise the federal debt ceiling and fund the government for the next two years. "This is not a matter of math. It is a matter of morality."

"If you're not willing to raise the age of retirement, you're not serious about dealing with the issue," said Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky. Paul insisted that means-testing for entitlements like Medicare was essential. "Right now the average person pays in $100,000" over their work life "but costs $350,000," said Paul, who is also an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Ben Carson, a pediatric neurosurgeon questioned the cost-effectiveness of Medicare as currently configured. "The annual Medicare budget is $600 billion, and there are 48 million people involved," said Carson. "that too comes to $12,500 per each person. There are a lot of private sector things you can do with $12,500 which will get you a lot more than from this program."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-debaters-find-a-big-target-in-entitlements/

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

I'd say we're about a week or two away from seeing mainstream media headlines like "Jeb Bush: Cucked out of the race?".

The republican establishment is getting in bed with a younger, more attractive, higher energy candidate.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

meristem posted:

The thing I sincerely do not understand and I'd love to know more about is, though - don't the party structures have a say at all? In the Democratic primary, this is a thing - Hillary already has a lot of endorsements, and this is the party saying that they prefer to work with her. And, I mean, can't the party structures indicate that, hey, OK, a lot of people among the voters may support Trump, but we're really not willing to work with him?

The whole idea that just anyone, not experienced with working with a party, not endorsed by a party, could register at the last moment as a member and essentially hijack their internal processes.... with hindsight, that's what strikes me as the most weird thing about this whole affair. I feel terribly inexperienced.

Sounds like we're on the same page.

Here's the deal, the word "establishment" gets thrown around a bunch. It's shorthand for a lot of things and a useful term. But be wary of applying it to a vath swath of the electorate, especially in this political landscape where voters are sick of politicians and the mainstream electorate of a party hates its own "establishment." I think it can be argued that Boosted_C5 is typical of a Republican voter in the upper quintiles. He voted for and thought Romney would win. Now he's voting for Trump. The few GOP voters on this forum also seem to be pulling for Trump. Trump is, most importantly, inspiring the most mainstream grassroots support of any Repub candidate -- while leading in the polls and being a known celebrity.

Being an Evangelist, for the most part, is *not* about being a humanist. You'll find a good portion of Evangelists that like Trump or maybe consider Trump to be their second pick.

What it's going to boil down to is the strength of the candidate. It's pretty obvious that Trump is the strongest candidate. Rubio is going to have to out-alpha Trump. Can he do it, even with a ton of PAC money and politicians backing him? The honest answer is that I don't think it'll be enough, at least in this political landscape.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Short of fourteen individual meteors falling from the sky and striking the other fourteen candidates, how can ¡Jeb! possibly win this? His problems don't stem from his policies or his proposals. He doesn't have trouble with money or organizational support. He doesn't have trouble with institutional backing, endorsements, or political pedigree.

Instead, he's being rejected because people just plain don't like who he is. gently caress, that's gotta sting. And how can he possibly change who he fundamentally is and become someone likable enough to shift the momentum back towards him?

I say it's impossible, but this is the conundrum ¡Jeb! is faced with.

The Apprentice gets renewed, Trump drops out, endorses Jeb solely on the logic that he already proved he can defeat him and doesn't want to cede in a way that could be misconstrued as him being outperformed

• Locked thread