Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DarkHorse posted:

Another option is 13th Age, which was made by the designers of 4E but freed of the constraints of D&D. It too seems pretty solid.

The thing about 13th Age is that it's even more abbreviated and expects more D&D foreknowledge than even 3.5e/5e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Spiteski posted:

Yea I started reading it, the skills stuff at the start was fun, but then it just kept going... and going... and going... and holy poo poo its OP.

It does have some nice ideas for what martial characters should be able to do, but yeah, not like this.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Hiding during combat in 5e. Thoughts?

The errata says this: "The DM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding. Also, the question isn’t whether a creature can see you when you’re hiding. The question is whether it can see you clearly."

So that would imply if there is something that would prevent a creature from "clearly" seeing a PC (a crate, corner, tall shrubs, whatever) that that the PC could hide during combat. Which would mean a Rogue could bonus action Hide -> attack with advantage pretty much every turn. This seems way too strong, but as far as I can tell, it's following the rules. How do other people handle this?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

Hiding during combat in 5e. Thoughts?

The errata says this: "The DM decides when circumstances are appropriate for hiding. Also, the question isn’t whether a creature can see you when you’re hiding. The question is whether it can see you clearly."

So that would imply if there is something that would prevent a creature from "clearly" seeing a PC (a crate, corner, tall shrubs, whatever) that that the PC could hide during combat. Which would mean a Rogue could bonus action Hide -> attack with advantage pretty much every turn. This seems way too strong, but as far as I can tell, it's following the rules. How do other people handle this?

It isn't enough to make the rogue automatically the combat MVP, and the rogue class has little else going for it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Rogues hiding every turn as a bonus action is a design feature. Things are supposed to work to that way. A Rogue has two options for dealing damage in combat. They can use two-weapon fighting to make 2 attack rolls against an enemy who is next to a teammate and deal a little less damage than a fighter. Or they can hide every turn and make an attack with advantage (2 attack rolls) against any enemy and deal a little less damage than a fighter.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

bewilderment posted:

Unrelated to newbie-gaming - this homebrew Factotum class I found lying around - good, or overpowered?

Overpowered. But its main flaw is also the key to fixing the issue: it doesn't have subclasses. Which is a 5e no-no. This Factotum version reads like a base class with about two or three subclasses worth of options... and access to all of it at the same time.

Cut it up, filter it, and re-organize. Skill tricks and brilliance should be its core features. Jack of All Trades and expertise need to be pushed back to level 2 to prevent 1-level dips. Then at level three it can choose between having a specialty in arcane casting, divine casting, or knacks. (And spellcasting according to the tables for Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster.)

Yeah, a specialty runs counter to the concept of the Factotum. Too bad, deal with it. Maybe you could allow them to exchange their subclass after a long rest, if that's workable in such a way that no unintended abuses crop up.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Tunicate posted:

It isn't enough to make the rogue automatically the combat MVP, and the rogue class has little else going for it.

TheBlandName posted:

Rogues hiding every turn as a bonus action is a design feature. [...]

I suppose this makes sense. I just wish instead of using the Hide mechanic, they just gave Rogues the ability to grant themselves Advantage for a bonus action each turn. "Preparing to Strike" or some such. It seems unnecessary to dress it up and call it "Hiding" when pretty much everywhere has something a Rogue could hide behind.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

I suppose this makes sense. I just wish instead of using the Hide mechanic, they just gave Rogues the ability to grant themselves Advantage for a bonus action each turn. "Preparing to Strike" or some such. It seems unnecessary to dress it up and call it "Hiding" when pretty much everywhere has something a Rogue could hide behind.

Hiding from enemies also helps the rogue avoid getting killed.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Vanguard Warden posted:

Right, in which case the Polearm Master and Great Weapon Master feats both exist, granting weapon attacks as a bonus action as one of their features. If the frenzied berserker is meant to be the king of heavy melee weapons, why does it have redundancy with a feature of two feats specific to the use of heavy melee weapons?

Did you just not read the bit about berserkers clearly being specialized for boss fights? A 1d4 butt strike or a bonus attack on dropping an adjacent enemy aren't useful if you're beating on a dragon. You use those for non-boss fights when you're not using frenzy.

e: If you seriously need that 1d6 (1d8 with feat), no strength damage strike to enjoy your barbarian, talk to your DM. You can probably get two offhand strikes as one bonus action while in frenzy.

Sage Genesis posted:

Overpowered. But its main flaw is also the key to fixing the issue: it doesn't have subclasses. Which is a 5e no-no. This Factotum version reads like a base class with about two or three subclasses worth of options... and access to all of it at the same time.

No, it's got subclasses, too. He called them knacks: Factotum-fighter, factotum-rogue, and factotum-mage-cleric.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 29, 2015

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Hello Sailor posted:

No, it's got subclasses, too. He called them knacks: Factotum-fighter, factotum-rogue, and factotum-mage-cleric.

So he does. I was thrown off by the word "knacks", which means a pretty specific thing in 3e-parlance. From which this Factotum class was ripped. That makes it even crazier then.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Vanguard Warden posted:

Right, in which case the Polearm Master and Great Weapon Master feats both exist, granting weapon attacks as a bonus action as one of their features. If the frenzied berserker is meant to be the king of heavy melee weapons, why does it have redundancy with a feature of two feats specific to the use of heavy melee weapons?

Because feats are optional, duh :rolleye:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Granted, if you chose Barbarian, you already failed at character creation anyway. This is coming from personal experience.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Did you just not read the bit about berserkers clearly being specialized for boss fights?

I just want to role-play as a barbarian who fights with two weapons, and this MMO trash garbage is not helping

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mecha Gojira posted:

Granted, if you chose Barbarian, you already failed at character creation anyway. This is coming from personal experience.

As I understand, totem barbarian is legit good. Frenzy barbarian is absolute dogshit, however.

The actual important thing to note is that, outside of, like, rogue, you want to always go polearm. Polearm + Great Weapon Master, and pretty much always taking the -5 to attack for +10 to damage, destroys any other possible weapon combo.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ProfessorCirno posted:

As I understand, totem barbarian is legit good. Frenzy barbarian is absolute dogshit, however.

Ehhhhh.

But seriously, I played a Totem Barbarian. It has some nice features, I guess, but at the end of the day it's just playing a big sack of hitpoints that hits things and every now and again hits things even harder while raging. Sometimes that's just not enough. Then again, I guess that's basically a complaint that can be applied to most of the non-spellcasting classes. Having played one, though, I just can't recommend it to anyone.

Of course, I could be biased since that Barbarian was my first 5e character and he never made it out of the shitfarmer levels (died at level 3). On the other hand, my Bard not only made it through those levels, but was able to completely neuter encounters through spell casting.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 29, 2015

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mecha Gojira posted:

Ehhhhh.

But seriously, I played a Totem Barbarian. It has some nice features, I guess, but at the end of the day it's just playing a big sack of hitpoints that hits things and every now and again hits things even harder while raging. Sometimes that's just not enough. Then again, I guess that's basically a complaint that can be applied to most of the non-spellcasting classes. Having played one, though, I just can't recommend it to anyone.

Of course, I could be biased since that Barbarian was my first 5e character and he never made it out of the shitfarmer levels (died at level 3). On the other hand, my Bard not only made it through those levels, but was able to completely neuter encounters through spell casting.

Yeah, you just described basically every other 5e class that isn't a spellcaster, I'm afraid.

Totem barbarian ends up being one of the best melee fighters period, as I understand. It's boring and you do the same thing again and again, but if you wanted otherwise, why'd you choose this edition?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Anyone know why Orion Acaba left Critcal Role by chance? I'm not caught up with the shows but it's popping up on my twitter that he's no longer doing the show. Did he get a gig that keeps him busy like Ashley Johnson and Blindside? Or did he have some sort of falling out with the group/G&S and quit outright?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ProfessorCirno posted:

Why'd you choose this edition?

A question without a satisfying answer, I'm afraid.

Especially if you ask your DM.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mecha Gojira posted:

A question without a satisfying answer, I'm afraid.

Especially if you ask your DM.

Because when I bring up 4e everyone squirms around in their chair like I told a story about my dad open mouth kissing me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I picked up Dread, Fiasco and the D&D starter pack. Hoping to pick up a hard copy of strike other than its pdf when its available.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Harvey Mantaco posted:

4e: a story about my dad open mouth kissing me.

Thats awful!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I picked up Dread, Fiasco and the D&D starter pack. Hoping to pick up a hard copy of strike other than its pdf when its available.

That's a fairly broad selection, I hope you have fun! I'm pretty confident that if you don't enjoy at least one of those games, you're not going to enjoy RPGs in general.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlphaDog posted:

That's a fairly broad selection, I hope you have fun! I'm pretty confident that if you don't enjoy at least one of those games, you're not going to enjoy RPGs in general.
Not true! You forgot all about Rifts!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

AlphaDog posted:

That's the end goal, see if I can get into it. I mean beers, bros and rpg's sound like fun as poo poo to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FRINGE posted:

Thats awful!

It's okay though, he can only do it once per day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Because when I bring up 4e everyone squirms around in their chair like I told a story about my dad open mouth kissing me.

That's a Skorched Urf d20 supplement, so you should be good with 4e.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
A while ago I posted some conversions of some 4E Darksun monsters to 5E, using Gradenko's monster maths.

After some further thinking, I wondered if an approach inspired by Dungeon World and Numenera might work. Give the monster some very basic stats, plus some descriptive moves - like so:

Gaj Mindhunter

Level 8, AC 16, HP 70, Attacks +6, DC 16, DPR 17, Saves +5, Move 30ft, Burrow 15ft.

Tear at flesh with chitinous claws
Rip at victim’s thoughts
Create paralyzing terror

Basically, the monsters actions would either use the attack bonus or save DC (depending on the kind of attack), and it would use a single saving throw bonus. If you wanted to attack two targets, just split the DPR between them (i.e each would take 9 damage).

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I'd be interested in thoughts anyone has.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty much how I ran combats:

Roll attack against a player's AC. If it hits, deal (part of) the DPR in damage

or

Have the player roll a save of your choice against the ability DC. If they fail the save, inflict whatever status effect is thematically appropriate, or deal (part of) the DPR in damage, or both

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Anyone remember the desmodu from D&D 3.5? I'd like to dust them off and play one in 5e, but they'd have to be severely reduced in power (they were +14 ECL). So, in the 400ish years since the events of Deep Horizon, let's say that the extreme shift to peace and prosperity away from "stuck in an isolated pocket of the UD while under siege from the plane of fire" has largely defanged the bat-people. Anyone think this is overpowered for a PC race? Since I'm taking them from large in 3.5 to medium in 5, I used the goliaths as a base.

Medium size (upper end), speed 30'
+2 Str, +1 Dex (+1 Dex replaces +1 Con)
Powerful build (carrying/lifting/etc capacity as one size larger)
Perception skill proficiency (replaces Athletics skill)
Darkvision, 60' (replaces Mountain Born, but more useful in more situations)
Echolocation: As a bonus action, can emit an ultrasonic pulse that grants the PC blindsight to 60' until the end of the PC's next turn. PC must not be deafened and zones of magical silence show up as blind spots. Usable once per short rest. (replaces Stone's Endurance. Situationally much more useful, but overall much less useful)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hello Sailor posted:

Anyone remember the desmodu from D&D 3.5? I'd like to dust them off and play one in 5e, but they'd have to be severely reduced in power (they were +14 ECL). So, in the 400ish years since the events of Deep Horizon, let's say that the extreme shift to peace and prosperity away from "stuck in an isolated pocket of the UD while under siege from the plane of fire" has largely defanged the bat-people. Anyone think this is overpowered for a PC race? Since I'm taking them from large in 3.5 to medium in 5, I used the goliaths as a base.

Medium size (upper end), speed 30'
+2 Str, +1 Dex (+1 Dex replaces +1 Con)
Powerful build (carrying/lifting/etc capacity as one size larger)
Perception skill proficiency (replaces Athletics skill)
Darkvision, 60' (replaces Mountain Born, but more useful in more situations)
Echolocation: As a bonus action, can emit an ultrasonic pulse that grants the PC blindsight to 60' until the end of the PC's next turn. PC must not be deafened and zones of magical silence show up as blind spots. Usable once per short rest. (replaces Stone's Endurance. Situationally much more useful, but overall much less useful)

Looks fine. Blindsight for one turn is hardly game-breaking, and the strongest thing there is proficiency with perception checks. Hell, I'd consider it slightly underpowered going by how incredibly situational one turn of Blindsight is. Personally, I'd make it an action to use and make it unlimited - it is then balanced by allowing you to only act every other turn.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or cut the range in half and just leave it on.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

thefakenews posted:

A while ago I posted some conversions of some 4E Darksun monsters to 5E, using Gradenko's monster maths.

After some further thinking, I wondered if an approach inspired by Dungeon World and Numenera might work. Give the monster some very basic stats, plus some descriptive moves - like so:

Gaj Mindhunter

Level 8, AC 16, HP 70, Attacks +6, DC 16, DPR 17, Saves +5, Move 30ft, Burrow 15ft.

Tear at flesh with chitinous claws
Rip at victim’s thoughts
Create paralyzing terror

Basically, the monsters actions would either use the attack bonus or save DC (depending on the kind of attack), and it would use a single saving throw bonus. If you wanted to attack two targets, just split the DPR between them (i.e each would take 9 damage).

I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I'd be interested in thoughts anyone has.

I think I'd like to elaborate on this idea for an article - do you mind if I dig into it?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Recommending Dungeon World to newbies seems weird to me since it seems to me like its greatest strength is appealing to nostalgia for old school D&D. So many parts of the game are the way they are in order to evoke old school gaming.

It would be like recommending Mega Man 9 to someone new to gaming. Mega Man 9 is a very good game, and it's accessible enough to newbies, too. But its raison d'etre is nostalgia and its target market is people who loved Mega Man 2.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Jimbozig posted:

Recommending Dungeon World to newbies seems weird to me since it seems to me like its greatest strength is appealing to nostalgia for old school D&D. So many parts of the game are the way they are in order to evoke old school gaming.

It would be like recommending Mega Man 9 to someone new to gaming. Mega Man 9 is a very good game, and it's accessible enough to newbies, too. But its raison d'etre is nostalgia and its target market is people who loved Mega Man 2.

Yeah, there are plenty of way better Pbta games that aren't held back by weird legacy mechanics.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

Or cut the range in half and just leave it on.

Or all of the above. Passive at half range, extend to full range as normal, and once per short rest use it as a bonus.

The only problem is, with three racial features at once, this may be far too powerful :pseudo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
People end up recommending Dungeon World because the "you can do anything, use your imagination" part of an RPG is inevitably going to come to blows with "per the rules your character shouldn't be able to do that (yet)" and then again with "don't say no to the players", such as the Fighter that wants to kneecap the Orc.

You can fudge D&D's rules enough to give the players that kind of leeway, but do it enough and you're better off using a system that works on that kind of framework out of the box, such as Dungeon World

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best explanation I've ever heard for why Dungeon World is such a popular recommendation to new players is "Dungeon World is what people who have never played a tabletop RPG before expect D&D to be".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Crotch posted:

The best explanation I've ever heard for why Dungeon World is such a popular recommendation to new players is "Dungeon World is what people who have never played a tabletop RPG before expect D&D to be".

Which even sort of matches with the idea that Dungeon World is supposed to be old-school D&D, once you consider how much of old-school D&D allowed you to make poo poo up because of the paucity of rules.

It's when you get to the post-3rd Ed era (or maybe as early as AD&D 2e) where the rules start to get strict enough that you have to keep shooting down player innovations if you want to remain completely by-the-book.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

djw175 posted:

Yeah, there are plenty of way better Pbta games that aren't held back by weird legacy mechanics.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

JonBolds posted:

I think I'd like to elaborate on this idea for an article - do you mind if I dig into it?

Go for it. Just make sure you post a link to the article in the thread so I can steal your good ideas.