Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Who run the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr Jaunts posted:

If they really want to keep everyone above 1% in, they should at least split it up, make the debates 7 and 7 or something instead of 4 and 10

Not only that the debates should be random draw, not Jr and sr.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

computer parts posted:

I'll remember this the next time people bitch about the media not letting third parties have a fair shot.

Several debates in and the numbers for these people have not budged. I'm fine giving third parties a shot in the general but if they're still polling less than 5% after several debates it's time to drop them because they can't win, they can only gently caress up the election like Nader in 2000 or Perot in 1992.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Several debates in and the numbers for these people have not budged. I'm fine giving third parties a shot in the general but if they're still polling less than 5% after several debates it's time to drop them because they can't win, they can only gently caress up the election like Nader in 2000 or Perot in 1992.

Perot got like 30% in 1992.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Like, why the gently caress are they letting people polling at 5 percent into debates? Or one percent? Because they don't want to be accused of picking winners and losers so we all have to play this game like Bobby Jindal can be the next president of the US instead of saying "well, poll better if you want to be a real presidential candidate". It is a massive disservice to the process to have 10 candidates.

Oh and since these massive clusterfuck debates are drawing so many viewers, that's gonna be how we do things from now on.

If I'm not mistaken the RNC doesn't want to winnow the field just yet because the winnowing at this point would leave the (unelectable) non-establishment candidates in the majority of the main debate.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Change the rules where you have to have had zero breaks in your campaign.

Bam, no more Ben & Jindals.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phone posted:

Change the rules where you have to have had zero breaks in your campaign.

Bam, no more Ben & Jindals.

I'm amazed at how many people bought the talking points covering up the coordination between Carson and his super PAC. Oh sure, the book tour isn't a campaign event, there's just a super PAC funded bus right across the parking lot handing out yard signs and asking for emails.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

computer parts posted:

According to wikipedia, it was 18.9%. Still a fair number for a 3rd party.

I personally would like to see a strong 3rd party, if anything to break up the current meta in American politics. Where's the reform party with crazy rear end Jessie Ventura leading the way....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magugu posted:

I personally would like to see a strong 3rd party, if anything to break up the current meta in American politics. Where's the reform party with crazy rear end Jessie Ventura leading the way....

I'd like a unicorn, because I too dislike dealing with reality.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magugu posted:

They can fix the meta by nerfing the Tea Party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Tap one land to block all legislation? That can't be right".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

They can fix the meta by nerfing the Tea Party.

science and facts need a buff

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I like that mocking Jeb! has become routine:

quote:

Particularly since the once-favored candidate among Establishment Republicans, the fallen Jeb!, had the least speaking time last night, leaving Rubio an enormous opening to poach whatever remains of his onetime mentor’s support (and donors). John Kasich, who might also have inherited some of Jeb!’s mantle as the adult Republican in the room

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/the-gop-cracking-up.html

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

evilweasel posted:

william jennings bryan owned, actually

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

he was really spergy about the proper metals to use for a crucifixion

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

evilweasel posted:

I too, would like a unicorn, one that preferably shits rainbow sherbert.

But you are correct that the thought of a strong 3rd party is in fantasy land.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm happy Ryan got sucked into the Speaker trap, it's going to destroy him, and I will enjoy it so much. The House Freedom Caucus will continue to be useless babies, Ryan will be forced to rely on Democrats to get anything done, and will be branded as a traitor in consequence. Because he's a young guy that lacks Boehner's political skill and won't do much fundraising, if any, because he wants to spend time with his family, he'll have very little leverage, and end up far less effectual. The media will ultimately be forced to admit Ryan is not very smart.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa I just realized getting completely skullfucked by a billionaire political dilettante is a now Bush family tradition.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Spatula City posted:

I'm happy Ryan got sucked into the Speaker trap, it's going to destroy him, and I will enjoy it so much. The House Freedom Caucus will continue to be useless babies, Ryan will be forced to rely on Democrats to get anything done, and will be branded as a traitor in consequence. Because he's a young guy that lacks Boehner's political skill and won't do much fundraising, if any, because he wants to spend time with his family, he'll have very little leverage, and end up far less effectual. The media will ultimately be forced to admit Ryan is not very smart.

Ryan is going to take up chronic drinking.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The Jeb! campaign is hilarious train wreck and at no point has he shown any indication that he was capable of running a successful campaign for the nomination. The fact that people have spent months insisting otherwise and in some cases still do boggles my mind. Money and endorsements can't make up for this level of incompetence and unpopularity.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CommieGIR posted:

Ryan is going to take up chronic tanning.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Ryan is going to take up chronic.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE ON DRAFT

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

He'll take up chronic lifting and bro'ing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Whoa I just realized getting completely skullfucked by a billionaire political dilettante is a now Bush family tradition.

Who before Trump?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Who before Trump?

Perot.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's hard for me to believe that people still blame Nader for Gore not becoming president in 2000 despite it not being true even a little bit, but I guess the media narrative at the time was popular among defeatist liberals. Do you have any insights into how Bill Clinton caused the housing bubble collapse?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

computer parts posted:

19%, but he was also polling better than Huckbee-grade chucklefucks for a long while too.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Jeb! campaign is bearing the sacred mantle of the culture of life but instead of baby food it's a broken man's political future slowly dribbling down a tube.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

Weakly moderated? That was the most hard line moderation we'll see in any of the debates for the rest of this primary. There were problems with the moderation for sure but I wouldn't call it weak considering what they were up against.

Pages back, but just wanted to add that the shitshow was largely a result of the number of candidates. The rotating moderators and the apparent lack of instruction to the crowd (seriously Lehrer would have been tearing out throats after the first murmurs) didn't help either. There's no way to really delve into questions in a 10 person debate.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
So I haven't been following the Ryan thing closely, did they end up agreeing to his weird demand to repeal the ability to vote him out or whatever?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

El Cid posted:

So I haven't been following the Ryan thing closely, did they end up agreeing to his weird demand to repeal the ability to vote him out or whatever?

No.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

Bryan helped the Dems gobble up the Populists and destroy them as a party, so he was kind of an inverse-third party candidate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I look forward to the guy that founded Uber making Geroge P Bush accidentally say anti Semitic things in 2031.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Also isn't one of HW's daughter's married to a Koch brother?

edit: she is married to a man named Koch, but he is not one of the Koch brothers, my mistake.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm a little worried that Paul Ryan is going to be able to put a reasonable face on batshit insane policies..

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mcmagic posted:

I'm a little worried that Paul Ryan is going to be able to put a reasonable face on batshit insane policies..

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Magugu posted:

Have you looked at my New Order Party? I am just a quiet backbencher in it, but after that terrible incident on Eriadu it looks like the Corporate party is splitting and the fall of the Chancellor is leaving the Core party in disgrace. We are moving to form a coalition government with half of the Corporate party and a number of other reform parties, with the condition being that the reform parties reject their more radical constituencies to focus on serving the silent majority. Since reforming this republic will aid them as well we see it as advancing our shared goals and hope they feel the same way, rather than falling in with a charismatic religious demagogue or the more aggressive capitalist groups that split from the corporate party. And accusations of racial bias are unfounded, it is hardly my fault that the demographics have aligned like that. Accusations otherwise make it sound like I am some sort of shadowy manipulator, playing both sides.

As I said, I am just a well liked but unassuming backbencher, but they are already looking at me as a compromise leader of the coalition owing my reputation of incorruptibility and perception of weakness (though really, child or not, norms of the senate be damned, I do answer to the girl by law and ceding my time and vote to her was not only legal but required. How was I to know she would call for a vote of no confidence? It doesn't matter that de facto power of a senator is greater than the [sovereign they represent, de jure I answer to her). Anyways, if elected I promise to enact the program's I have previously explained here. With me we will have safety, security, justice, and peace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "In any country, electoral campaigns offer the opportunity for a lot of bombastic nonsense. Let's be indulgent. The French work an average of 39,6 hours a week compared to 39,2 for the Germans. A French work week of 3 days? No but a pregnancy paid leave of 16 weeks yes! And proud of it." ~ French Ambassador to the United States Gérard Araud, in response to Jeb! attacking Rubio for maintaining a "French workweek".

• Locked thread