Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

DaNerd posted:

That would be very unlikely because those careers usually parallel each other closely as they tend to get hired to the PD when they get back from MOS school. So the police chief with 15 years in the force also has 15 years in the reserves.

What can happen, and does happen often, is large disparities in income/status. You can have SNCOs who are living around the poverty line in charge of LCpls who own their own businesses and make 6 figures. So that gets weird if you stop to think about it. However, the real world mostly ceases to exist during drill and then you go your own way until next month.

not too many lcpls own their own business. income disparity more commonly exists between sncos and officers. a lot of platoon commanders are prior service, and haven't had a chance to start a career. whereas, a lot of e6s/e7s have been out for over a decade and are established. but, this is dc area so not representative of the rest of the country.

edit: especially for career reservist sncos. theres a lot of cops/firemen, but there are a lot of engineers/lawyers/professionals 10-15years into their career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone have an extra BFA? The armory won't give me one and I was never issued one

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
dont get one, then you won't have to clean your rifle from all the bullshit blank rounds.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

"There will be no handing off of rifles for the live fire!"

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

"There will be no handing off of rifles for the live fire!"

Bury your blanks and yell "Butter Butter Jam!" while SAW gunners yell "Die Motherfucker Die!"

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
butt gently caress adapter

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone have an extra BFA? The armory won't give me one and I was never issued one

Just stick a Motrin 800 in it; you'll be fine. Trust me.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Had my meeting with the OCS officer.Wasn't really expecting to hear anything that I hadn't heard before. Got my balls tickled/shaft worked with the *be part of the greatest force ever/officer oorah soon to be devil dawg*.

Then he went full deep throat: *you'll be young enough to go air contract and fly fixed wing or rotary.*

Not gonna lie, I'm really considering going marine OCS as a pilot..

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

MurderBot posted:

Had my meeting with the OCS officer.Wasn't really expecting to hear anything that I hadn't heard before. Got my balls tickled/shaft worked with the *be part of the greatest force ever/officer oorah soon to be devil dawg*.

Then he went full deep throat: *you'll be young enough to go air contract and fly fixed wing or rotary.*

Not gonna lie, I'm really considering going marine OCS as a pilot..

Are they still guaranteeing a seat in an aircraft if you can pass everything? That was a thing the Marines were doing for a while cuz they needed more helicopter pilots.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

USMC503 posted:

Are they still guaranteeing a seat in an aircraft if you can pass everything? That was a thing the Marines were doing for a while cuz they needed more helicopter pilots.

Yeah, they'll send you to Pensacola and if you pass the flight physical they'll still guarantee a seat at flight school.

If you wash out then they make you a ground officer for four years though. So don't wash out.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

My biggest fear right now is washing out during OCS. army basic/OSUT training for calvary scout was difficult, but I was capable of completing each task without problems. I've heard that, while marine OCS is the usual basic training mind gently caress, it has an added emphasis of being incredibly physically demanding.

I consider myself pretty physically fit, but at the ripe age of 29 I know that i'd be entering a school meant for individuals between the ages of 21-24. That being said, I do have a firm understanding that being 29 doesn't really equate to being the old dude who needs a walker to get around with swinging balls that go into his knee high tube socks.

Do we have any marine officers/pilots in the online VFW?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Bob a Fett is an Osprey pilot. I did ocs ... when you were in kindergarten ... :corsair:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

MurderBot posted:

My biggest fear right now is washing out during OCS. army basic/OSUT training for calvary scout was difficult, but I was capable of completing each task without problems. I've heard that, while marine OCS is the usual basic training mind gently caress, it has an added emphasis of being incredibly physically demanding.

I consider myself pretty physically fit, but at the ripe age of 29 I know that i'd be entering a school meant for individuals between the ages of 21-24. That being said, I do have a firm understanding that being 29 doesn't really equate to being the old dude who needs a walker to get around with swinging balls that go into his knee high tube socks.

Hey, me. I was prior enlisted (so, old) and went through OCS in summer '10 and '11, did TBS in '13. It's totally doable as an old person. I'm in holding a little over halfway through jet pilot school right now while I work out some medical issues, I have a lot of free time on my hands. PM me with questions if you want.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
theres like 5 guys
boba fett and africanus who fly
1 logistics officer who is in the reserves now
that midgit tfr arty officer who doesn't post here at all
and i think a ground intel officer who doesnt post anymore

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

MurderBot posted:

My older brother was a marine pilot for about 4 years before he had his knees broken doing FAC poo poo. He went to OCS in 97ish iirc. I can bug him for you if you want 20 year old information

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Overdesigned gave me a plethora of good information. I have a decent idea of what to expect, the process and so fourth in regards to OCS, TBS and then either flight school or whatever I choose to do. I actually bike with an old marine pilot who flew CH-46's, so I can get some information from him as well.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I think the "don't be a lovely person" part is probably the most important

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

overdesigned posted:

I think the "don't be a lovely person" part is probably the most important
Counter Point, a post by my brother in the Idiot thread

River Raid posted:

In 97 when I was in my first month of flight school a really salty Major that looked like Sgt Rock stopped a bunch of us 2nd Lieutenants/Ensigns and imparted some amazingly wise words.

"You know that rat faced gently caress in your class you all hate? Too incompetent to be trusted with his own dick in the pisser, too lovely of a person to want to spend more than 6 minutes with alone? He's in every single class that comes through here, always has, always will be. That pissy little rear end in a top hat will be the one who ends up a flag officer. He's the only person here who's too loving dumb to get a job in the outside world, too loving square to ever go out and have fun that doesn't involve reciting JJDIDTIEBUCKLE every nine minutes while he watches a PBS special on some rear end in a top hat who got himself killed int he Civil War. Women who don't look like his fat, overbearing mother will be repulsed by him, his life will be sad and disgusting, and he will end up the man they put in charge of the classes that come after you. Leadership doesn't exist past O-5, it's just an incestuous slime pool of mouth breathers trying to make up cool sound acronyms for their command that can't be bothered with learning how to do the actual duties they need to be. And after they ruin the military for 30 years, they'll take a sweet contractor job making the same lovely decisions day in and day out until they die. So next time someone asks you if you plan on being here for life, remember what that actually means"

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
-decent human being
-successful career officer
-not an alcoholic

pick two

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Can you like borderline some of that stuff? I enjoy my boozing just as much as the rest of us, and can keep it right underneath that level of non acceptable levels of alcohol ingestion.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
seeing someone go from prior enlisted army to thinking about being a marine officer is really loving weird. i feel a little woozy over here

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah it's usually prior enlisted Marine -> National Guard officer

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah I know, I had wanted to join the marines when I was in High school but I was fat as gently caress, and even after losing a bunch of weight I wasn't really capable of doing more than say, 3 pull-ups and had no real physical fitness. All my friends in High School went the Army route, so did I.

Now that I work in somewhat close proximity of piloting, it seems like something I'd really like to get into, and being able to do that in the marines, get paid to fly/good experience seems like a good way to go. Hearing how a lot of the pilots I work with started out making close to minimum wage flying cargo sounds awful. One dude with a full time job flying had to give drum lessons on the side when he was living down in Florida because the pay down there is apparently the worst across the U.S, which is equivalent to saying that the McDonalds in Florida pays worse than all McDonalds across America... You're getting poo poo on wherever you go.

So yeah, a bit of wanting to achieve a goal I had in high school as well as a career move I suppose.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i mean airwinger officer is probably the chillest job in the whole corpse so do what your heart tells you i guess :shrug:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

MurderBot posted:

Yeah I know, I had wanted to join the marines when I was in High school but I was fat as gently caress, and even after losing a bunch of weight I wasn't really capable of doing more than say, 3 pull-ups and had no real physical fitness. All my friends in High School went the Army route, so did I.

Now that I work in somewhat close proximity of piloting, it seems like something I'd really like to get into, and being able to do that in the marines, get paid to fly/good experience seems like a good way to go. Hearing how a lot of the pilots I work with started out making close to minimum wage flying cargo sounds awful. One dude with a full time job flying had to give drum lessons on the side when he was living down in Florida because the pay down there is apparently the worst across the U.S, which is equivalent to saying that the McDonalds in Florida pays worse than all McDonalds across America... You're getting poo poo on wherever you go.

So yeah, a bit of wanting to achieve a goal I had in high school as well as a career move I suppose.

When I was in highschool I wanted to be a politician and help people.

Highschoolers are loving stupid as poo poo

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

It's a fair point, but again it's more of a "I think being a pilot is much better than my current job" and with a guaranteed contract into the airwing of the marines beats spending $40,000+ getting my pilots license, commercial license and hauling cargo around just above minimum wage. Plus I don't really have a huge hatred for the military.

At least with this option, I get stacks, bennies, blow up browns, a useful skill that transitions over to civ life, and assuming that it's not so god awful, a government retirement.

Plus the option of getting sweet misspelled smeper pie tat's and yelling OORAH, calling out bitches on stolen valor and wearing my polo shirts tucked into my khakis.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Just don't be Bob A Feet and we good bruh

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

USMC503 posted:

Just don't be Bob A Feet and we good bruh

The lowest bar.

Speaking of bars, I have yet to be in a squadron that doesn't have one in their spaces. So there's also that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Yeah it's usually prior enlisted Marine -> National Guard officer

it's scary how many of these there are

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

seeing someone go from prior enlisted army to thinking about being a marine officer is really loving weird. i feel a little woozy over here

I know a guy who used the boost program, I guess you're in the reserves for the 4 years you're in college, so he was e-7 by the time he was done with that, then I think he was at 9-10 years by the time he finished ocs/tbs. His first year as a butterbar, I believe he was halfway to retirement. So I can see being a lifer in that sense.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Counter Point, a post by my brother in the Idiot thread

SgtMaj Barrett told me the same thing when I worked at the S1 in 2/7 when I was considering the BOOST program. "you know how like 10% of enlisted lifers are loving worthless shitbirds? it's like 40% for officers" And then the Lt Col nodded agreement.

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

overdesigned posted:

Yeah, they'll send you to Pensacola and if you pass the flight physical they'll still guarantee a seat at flight school.

If you wash out then they make you a ground officer for four years though. So don't wash out.

As of only six months ago, the 03 Os were the most difficult to get into... the Pilots I spoke to (4-8yrs as pilot) said they tried really hard to make it just so they wouldn't end up as a supply officers.
I personally haven't met a dumb rear end grunt Plt commander to date... ego out of check, yes, dumb, no.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GSXRMikeS posted:

As of only six months ago, the 03 Os were the most difficult to get into... the Pilots I spoke to (4-8yrs as pilot) said they tried really hard to make it just so they wouldn't end up as a supply officers.
I personally haven't met a dumb rear end grunt Plt commander to date... ego out of check, yes, dumb, no.

That's because dumb rear end grunt Plt commanders wind up working in the S-3 or as the H&S Company XO. Grunts are bad at lots of things but they are pretty good about getting rid of those who pose a risk to those they supposedly lead. I wish the rest of the Marine Corps were similar because if you look at support units, they will keep idiots in charge almost indefinitely.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I wish the rest of the Marine Corps were similar because if you look at support units, they will keep idiots in charge almost indefinitely.

I had a buddy from high school who was a data Marine, forget the MOS code but he was a computer tech. I have stories about dumbass privates, lance corporals and the occasional sergeant. He has nothing but stories about dumbass Colonels, Majors, a General, a few Captains and that one Master Sergeant who laterally transferred for an easy assignment before retiring who was the only competent leader he knew.

I was artillery, because at 18 they paid me to explode stuff more good and do other things good too. Worst officer type I knew of got shuffled to headquarters before the invasion kicked off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Are the 7-tons here yet

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Are the 7-tons here yet

We need a better nickname for Gunny's wife

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

MurderBot posted:

I'm a prior enlisted 0656 sergeant who now flies Ospreys out of MCAS New River. I went through OCS at 28 and it wasn't too terrible. TBS and those 20+ mile humps with around 100 lbs on your back will gently caress your poo poo up tho.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Corn Burst posted:

I'm a prior enlisted 0656 sergeant who now flies Ospreys out of MCAS New River. I went through OCS at 28 and it wasn't too terrible. TBS and those 20+ mile humps with around 100 lbs on your back will gently caress your poo poo up tho.

that kinda sucks, given i'm 5 ft 8 160 on a good day...

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Corn Burst posted:

In one post you squashed all consideration I had for going back in as an O. Thank you.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

USMC503 posted:

In one post you squashed all consideration I had for going back in as an O. Thank you.

Go read the Philip Caputo book if you haven't. I mean, if you have any desire rising up in you again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Out of curiosity, if you fail out of TBS what happens? I would assume a loss of commission and essentially a 6 year commitment as an enlisted dude? Or are you straight up kicked out?

• Locked thread