Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Short of fourteen individual meteors falling from the sky and striking the other fourteen candidates, how can ¡Jeb! possibly win this? His problems don't stem from his policies or his proposals. He doesn't have trouble with money or organizational support. He doesn't have trouble with institutional backing, endorsements, or political pedigree.

Instead, he's being rejected because people just plain don't like who he is. gently caress, that's gotta sting. And how can he possibly change who he fundamentally is and become someone likable enough to shift the momentum back towards him?

I say it's impossible, but this is the conundrum ¡Jeb! is faced with.

The Apprentice gets renewed, Trump drops out, endorses Jeb solely on the logic that he already proved he can defeat him and doesn't want to cede in a way that could be misconstrued as him being outperformed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Ben Carson: "It is important to remember that amateurs built the Ark and it was the professionals that built the Titanic."

what a line

e: Trump playfully punching Bush just a little too hard on the arm and then offering his endorsement as he says "hey, no hard feelings" and Bush cringes/smiles at the same time would be worth any price of admission

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The RNC held a conference call with the campaigns this morning to discuss future debates. It ended in a shouting match and now the RNC will only do 1-on-1 calls with campaigns.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

This was still the highlight of last night for me:

MATT DRUDGE ‏@DRUDGE 14h14 hours ago
Jeb Bush can eat carbs now... #GOPDebate

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stoat posted:

The Apprentice gets renewed

The Apprentice already got renewed. Arnold Schwarzenegger is hosting the next season.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Oh for fucks sake:

Washington Post posted:

LAKEWOOD, Colo. — Republican presidential front-runner Ben Carson told reporters Thursday that he was reaching out to every rival campaign to lobby for changes to future debate formats.

“Debates are supposed to be established to help the people get to know the candidate,” Carson said at a news conference before a speech at Colorado Christian University. “What it’s turned into is — gotcha! That’s silly. That’s not helpful to anybody.”

Carson, who got less time at Wednesday night’s CNBC-hosted debate than candidates who were faring worse in polls, was raising the already high-decibel volume of criticism. Shortly after the debate ended, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus tweeted that it had been ruined by “improper and unprofessional” questions from moderators.

“Using it for political purposes just doesn’t make any sense at all,” Carson said. “The first thing we’re looking for is moderators who are actually interested in getting the facts, and not just gotcha questions.”

Asked to define a “gotcha” question, Carson focused on a debate exchange about Mannatech, a nutritional supplements company that the former neurosurgeon had repeatedly endorsed, personally and in paid speeches.

"The questions about Mannatech are definitely gotcha questions," Carson said. "There’s no truth to them. I know people know how to investigate. They can easily go back and find out I don’t have any formal relations with Mannatech. They can easily find out that any videos I did with them were not paid for, were things I truly believed. That would be easy to do. If they had another agenda, they could investigate and say — see, there’s nothing there! But if they have a gotcha agenda, they conveniently ignore all the facts and try to influence public opinion."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
from now on, debates will involve the candidates being asked, in a very gentle voice, what their favorite kind of wine is. scalp massages will be made available.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Short of fourteen individual meteors falling from the sky and striking the other fourteen candidates, how can ¡Jeb! possibly win this? His problems don't stem from his policies or his proposals. He doesn't have trouble with money or organizational support. He doesn't have trouble with institutional backing, endorsements, or political pedigree.

Instead, he's being rejected because people just plain don't like who he is. gently caress, that's gotta sting. And how can he possibly change who he fundamentally is and become someone likable enough to shift the momentum back towards him?

I say it's impossible, but this is the conundrum ¡Jeb! is faced with.

It is impossible. For all the talk a McCain style reassurance I think people forget two major differences. First he never went below 10 percent and second he was never considered a frontrunner.

Jeb was pure name recognition, that's it. Just like walker really, in fact their polling trends correlate very well.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Three Olives posted:

"The questions about Mannatech are definitely gotcha questions," Carson said. "There’s no truth to them. I know people know how to investigate. They can easily go back and find out I don’t have any formal relations with Mannatech. They can easily find out that any videos I did with them were not paid for, were things I truly believed. That would be easy to do. If they had another agenda, they could investigate and say — see, there’s nothing there! But if they have a gotcha agenda, they conveniently ignore all the facts and try to influence public opinion."

Wait wait wait, Carson's actually going with the explanation that he truly believes in these magic supplements?

I think I'd respect him more if he just said "yeah, I did it for the money".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
mr carson, no pressure, but do you take pepper on your... oh okay you dont have to answer that. im sorry. im sorry. please, im sorry. oh god

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
The Clinton campaign is going to shred whichever featherweight candidate climbs to the top of that burning garbage pile.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

tsa posted:

It is impossible. For all the talk a McCain style reassurance I think people forget two major differences. First he never went below 10 percent and second he was never considered a frontrunner.

Jeb was pure name recognition, that's it. Just like walker really, in fact their polling trends correlate very well.

The McCain comparisons are no more valid than a random anecdote. I'm all about the data and analytics but politics does not and never will have the sample size necessary to construct predictive models. We're all just talking out of our rear end when we try to say that this is just like Giuliani 2008 or McCain 2007 or not Romney #243 2012 or that that X number of endorsements are what truly matters. Based on what, a sample of 5 elections?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Wait wait wait, Carson's actually going with the explanation that he truly believes in these magic supplements?

I think I'd respect him more if he just said "yeah, I did it for the money".

Didn't he say last night he did it for the money

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Dahbadu posted:

What it's going to boil down to is the strength of the candidate. It's pretty obvious that Trump is the strongest candidate. Rubio is going to have to out-alpha Trump. Can he do it, even with a ton of PAC money and politicians backing him? The honest answer is that I don't think it'll be enough, at least in this political landscape.

This guy gets it.

We're not liberals. We don't celebrate weakness and we don't view testosterone deficiency as being hip or cool.

Might makes right, beta bitches and actual bitches get the gently caress out of the way.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

memy posted:

Didn't he say last night he did it for the money

He also said it's a good product and he still uses it.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Hahahahahahahaha.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Boosted_C5 posted:

This guy gets it.

We're not liberals. We don't celebrate weakness and we don't view testosterone deficiency as being hip or cool.

Might makes right, beta bitches and actual bitches get the gently caress out of the way.

OK, guy who is afraid that his elderly white neighbors will find out who he wants to vote for.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Dahbadu posted:

What it's going to boil down to is the strength of the candidate. It's pretty obvious that Trump is the strongest candidate. Rubio is going to have to out-alpha Trump. Can he do it, even with a ton of PAC money and politicians backing him? The honest answer is that I don't think it'll be enough, at least in this political landscape.

Rush just said this - The only way to beat Trump is to BEAT Trump.

Rubio so far is the only candidate who can roll with Trump. The winner of that contest will be the nominee.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Montasque posted:

Rush just said this - The only way to beat Trump is to BEAT Trump.

Rubio so far is the only candidate who can roll with Trump. The winner of that contest will be the nominee.

So Trump will be the nominee, then.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Boosted_C5 posted:

This guy gets it.

Shut up, you loving coward. You don't even want anyone to know you're supporting Trump.

Bob Ojeda fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 29, 2015

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

¡Jeb! posted:

And it troubles me that people are rewarded for tearing down our country. It's never been that way in American politics before.

:ssh: Nobody tell him...

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Ben Carson literally doesn't know what GDP is lol.

have you heard the man speak

Ben Carson knows exactly what granddaddy purp is, he shows up to debates and press conferences on that loud

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm glad that Jeb! has turned into a petulant child. It means that human urge to sympathize with him as he flails is suppressed because he's just too much of a baby. I can now fully enjoy the dumpster fire that is Jeb! For President!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

STAC Goat posted:

I'm glad that Jeb! has turned into a petulant child. It means that human urge to sympathize with him as he flails is suppressed because he's just too much of a baby. I can now fully enjoy the dumpster fire that is Jeb! For President!

Jeb! It connotes Schadenfreude!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

MannaRelief Ministries is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1999 by Sam Caster. William A. Mullens, Mr. Caster’s brother-in-law, serves as MannaRelief’s Executive Director, and Caster’s wife, Linda, serves as Chairman of the Board.

MannaRelief receives a portion of the proceeds from Mannatech products purchased on "automatic order", and in turn distributes PhytoBlend powder (a dietary supplement purchased at cost from Mannatech) to various unidentified orphanages and international relief organizations. From 2009 to 2011, Manntech provided a total of $1.5 million in cash donations to MannaRelief, and MannaRelief purchased $1.6 million worth of products from Mannatech.

quote:

"There are authentic, scientific studies that have looked at people drinking these kinds of materials, and it doesn't really do anything except increase flatulence."

Ben Carson is actively participating in a transparent scheme to increase flatulence globally.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Do It Once Right posted:

Ben Carson is actively participating in a transparent scheme to increase flatulence globally.

Imagine a human butt farting forever.

Also this is giving me a serious The Sheep Look Up vibe.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
People are really mad at reince about last night

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

memy posted:

People are really mad at reince about last night

I can't imagine how lovely Reince's job is. Also, to be named "Reince."

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Do It Once Right posted:

so in addition to not accepting anthropogenic climate change he is actively contributing to increased greenhouse gas, awesome

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dogstoyevsky posted:

I can't imagine how lovely Reince's job is. Also, to be named "Reince."

It's a nickname. His real firstname is "Reinhold."

EDIT: spelling error.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 29, 2015

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's a nickname. His real firstname is "Rheinhold."

how loathed and held in contempt by your parents do you have to be to be worthy of that name from birth

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Captain_Maclaine posted:

See I don't get that, Reinhold is actually kind of a dope name.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Captain_Maclaine posted:

[sic]

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Dogstoyevsky posted:

See I don't get that, Reinhold is actually kind of a dope name.

Reinhold is a good name, like Judge Reinhold or w/e

but Rheinhold is not, get that poo poo out of my face

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lastgirl posted:

i wonder what its like to be loathed and held in contempt by your parents at birth to be worthy of that name

His full name is actually "Reinhold Richard Priebus," which as I've speculated before likely got him called "Dick Rhine-hole" a lot as a kid and makes his taking of such an odd nickname one of the few understandable, and excusable, elements of his character.

EDIT: minor misspelling corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

STAC Goat posted:

And I am also incredibly loving excited for Jeb! In fact I think he's going to make all my dreams come true! And now I've just noticed that button is gone, it seems.

• Locked thread