Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Religious is a more powerful idea set purely on the back of the CB for the vast majority of tags. Just as Administrative is probably the strongest Admin group overall purely on the back of the coring discount. Humanist gives a lot of incidental value, but lacks the oomph that the stronger idea sets give. I still consider it a very strong idea set because all the myriad bonuses it gives combine together very well to give you a very stable Empire, but in the early to mid game, your army will suffice to keep unrest down. It's more of a late game choice in my eyes.

We must play entirely differently. To me, Humanist is much more useful early than late; if you are conquering as fast as you can, your manpower and cash are usually pretty scarce resources. Depending on your army to keep down unrest when you rarely have much manpower to spare is very dangerous, and raising autonomy will trash your gains, so Humanist is incredibly useful for holding together a multicultural quickly expanding nation. It remains useful later because you can start lowering autonomy on conquered provinces much sooner than is otherwise practical.

I don't really understand the hype around Holy War. It used to be godly when vassal feeding was free, and then it was pretty good when vassal feeding was still cheaper than coring yourself. Now, though, I don't really see what it can do for you that a bit of diplomat time forging claims can't, unless you are Russia. Maybe save a little diplo power over the course of the game when you want to take more than you've claimed, but that isn't worth an idea group.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So if I'm playing the Ottomans and expanding east, north, and south, what's the best way to take advantage of distant overseas coring shenanigans? Conquering and vassaling Aq Qoyunlu (and feeding them Trebizond/Karaman) seems like a good way to make an initial barrier to core Qara Qoyunlu's provinces and Mamlukean Levant for cheap, but what's the best way to go from there to start linking provinces back in while keeping gaps for further discounted coring?

Also, any recommendations for expanding westward? Vassaling Bosnia or Serbia and feeding them parts of Hungary seems straightforward enough, but the bajillion close-packed HRE countries make aggressive expansion just brutal when trying to push into Italy. I'd love to try and build at least a contiguous land path into Rome.

Expanding north seems relatively easy, with vassaling Circassia or whatever and feeding them the Golden Horde, but I really wish there was a way to make them more reliably fabricate claims. I guess the next expansion will help with that, though.

Colonial Air Force posted:

CK2 would be a better fit.

But I want to have Vampire George Washington as a general.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

- Trading in silk isn't always possible either and can fluctuate trough your game.

"My padishah, it appears that we have lost our dominance in the trade of silk! Whatever shall we do?"

"Oh bother. Well, time to start oppressing the Albanians again."

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Jazerus posted:

We must play entirely differently. To me, Humanist is much more useful early than late; if you are conquering as fast as you can, your manpower and cash are usually pretty scarce resources. Depending on your army to keep down unrest when you rarely have much manpower to spare is very dangerous, and raising autonomy will trash your gains, so Humanist is incredibly useful for holding together a multicultural quickly expanding nation. It remains useful later because you can start lowering autonomy on conquered provinces much sooner than is otherwise practical.

I don't really understand the hype around Holy War. It used to be godly when vassal feeding was free, and then it was pretty good when vassal feeding was still cheaper than coring yourself. Now, though, I don't really see what it can do for you that a bit of diplomat time forging claims can't, unless you are Russia. Maybe save a little diplo power over the course of the game when you want to take more than you've claimed, but that isn't worth an idea group.

You definitely play much differently than I do. In any game where I expand quickly, every province gets the autonomy increased as soon as I get it. If you Raise autonomy, then crush the first rebellion when it eventually spawns, then you don't have to worry about that provice revolting after that in most cases.

All of that said, however, I do agree that Humanism is far more useful for most countries than religious is, if only because of the idea cost reduction and the better relations over time. I love to expand aggressively so stacking better relations helps disolve the massive amounts of AE that I tend to build up meaning that coalitions are less of a headache. Though the biggest problem with both of the idea groups is that they are in the Admin section. I need those admin points to core provinces and for the Administrative idea group so I'm not going to have either Humanist of Religious until quite a ways into the game.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 29, 2015

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

does anyone else get early independence from colonial nations for countries like spain? it seems like they only last about a hundred years in before they all declare independence, usually because france goes to town on them at the mainland and their liberty desire spikes

i guess that's what actually happened in real life though so eh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

France is really cramping my style here by taking Iberian land. Her only allies are myself and Savoy so I think I should be okay if I take out Portugal and then eat up Aragon and backstab France for Navarre whenever she inevitably gets piled on, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

So if I'm playing the Ottomans and expanding east, north, and south, what's the best way to take advantage of distant overseas coring shenanigans? Conquering and vassaling Aq Qoyunlu (and feeding them Trebizond/Karaman) seems like a good way to make an initial barrier to core Qara Qoyunlu's provinces and Mamlukean Levant for cheap, but what's the best way to go from there to start linking provinces back in while keeping gaps for further discounted coring?

Also, any recommendations for expanding westward? Vassaling Bosnia or Serbia and feeding them parts of Hungary seems straightforward enough, but the bajillion close-packed HRE countries make aggressive expansion just brutal when trying to push into Italy. I'd love to try and build at least a contiguous land path into Rome.

Expanding north seems relatively easy, with vassaling Circassia or whatever and feeding them the Golden Horde, but I really wish there was a way to make them more reliably fabricate claims. I guess the next expansion will help with that, though.

But I want to have Vampire George Washington as a general.

It is customary to do Syria/Iraq/Persia (Persia because you can take that one Persian culture Persian core from Qara Qoyunlu. Qara Qoyunlu is basically a vassal punching bag. However, it's also really easy to beat Syria out of the Mamluks.

You can also do Aq Qoyunlu. I think you need to be careful to not take any European provinces in the Caucasus though.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I need some advice re: the league war.

I am playing as Protestant Venice and own all the coastal provinces from Venice to Constantinople. The Ottomans have been mostly crushed and I just finished smashing Austria and splitting off Styria from them. My allies are France, super Savoy (got the Burgundian inheritance) and super mega Commonwealth.

The leagues just formed and I want to join team Protestant and try to force it as the official HRE religion. France, Savoy, Switzerland and maybe Sweden will join me I think. The problem is that the Commonwealth has already joined team Catholic (I guess because they are Catholic and like Austria even though they are not allied) along with Hungary, Britain and Spain.

I want kick off the League War and watch Europe burn, but I'm concerned that I can't handle Commonwealth and Hungary next door. How do I get Commonwealth to leave team Catholic or even join me on the other side? I can't figure out how AI nations decide which side to join.

I could dump Commonwealth and ally their rival Muscovy, but I don't think Muscovy can stand up to them because their manpower and army are smaller than mine.

Any other ideas?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eej posted:

France is really cramping my style here by taking Iberian land. Her only allies are myself and Savoy so I think I should be okay if I take out Portugal and then eat up Aragon and backstab France for Navarre whenever she inevitably gets piled on, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Yes, France is not nearly as scary as they used to be and a united Iberia should be able to handle them with a strong ally to assist.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

deathbagel posted:

You definitely play much differently than I do. In any game where I expand quickly, every province gets the autonomy increased as soon as I get it. If you lower autonomy, then crush the first rebellion when it eventually spawns, then you don't have to worry about that provice revolting after that in most cases.

Yeah this is pretty much what I do. Conquer, immediately raise autonomy and use any available missionaries to start converting, start coring the rest. Usually you have to put down one revolt, sometimes none at all depending. Revolts aren't hard to deal with as you're biting piecemeal, for example you're not going to get a massive Sunni Zealot or Persian Separatist revolt because all of the provinces you've previously conquered that could potentially spawn those rebels have been converted and completely pacified. You're only dealing with revolts from the few provinces you're currently coring and converting. I'm almost 1700 on my Poland game taking Religious ideas and have conquered hundreds of Asian provinces, rebels are usually one or two 10 stacks which is absolutely trivial to kill off.

Most of the discussion of Religious ideas also involves making use of the overseas coring discount exploit/gimmick. In that scenario, your conquered provinces are at minimum 75% autonomy anyway so Humanist is not going to help you get much more out of them.

Edit: world map for context, border gore trigger warning. I'm HRE Emperor and have been since I won the League Wars, Europe is almost completely Protestant with Reformed France.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 29, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nothing like turning the rear end in a top hat who declared the coalition war on you into a vassal in that war. It's worth the AE.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This is the third day in a row that I've been trying to figure out how to play Europa Universalis 4. I feel like deep down I enjoy it (which is why I keep coming back and playing late into the evening after work), but I might be too dumb to understand how any of these systems work.

I at least have a basic understanding of warfare, but the siege mechanic is just a complete black box, and there's so little that I can do most of the time that I feel like I'm probably doing something wrong. These monarch points sure do build up slowly, and my economy isn't really strong enough to hire one of the beefier advisers

I'm also confused by the "reinforce trade" option for the medium-sized boats; it tells me what kind of boost in value that should provide (from X to Y), but then the next boat shows the exact same numbers, which seems to imply that the previous boat didn't actually do anything for my trade value in that node? How much are these boats actually worth to my trade value in a node?

Good example, I recently sieged some level 3 forts. The year is about 1470 and I'm unable to build that kind of fort. Am I just totally boned in tech? I can build temples and marketplaces and I've gotten my first idea group.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 29, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fister Roboto posted:

"My padishah, it appears that we have lost our dominance in the trade of silk! Whatever shall we do?"

"Oh bother. Well, time to start oppressing the Albanians again."

All the bonuses for trading in X are kinda silly if you think about them too hard.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

This is the third day in a row that I've been trying to figure out how to play Europa Universalis 4. I feel like deep down I enjoy it (which is why I keep coming back and playing late into the evening after work), but I might be too dumb to understand how any of these systems work.

Well, what are you trying to accomplish, and what are you having trouble with? Would a video series help?

quote:

I at least have a basic understanding of warfare, but the siege mechanic is just a complete black box, and there's so little that I can do most of the time that I feel like I'm probably doing something wrong. These monarch points sure do build up slowly, and my economy isn't really strong enough to hire one of the beefier advisers

The way siege progress works can be a little hard to understand. There are 12 siege stages, you have a chance of ending a siege before that on a lucky roll but you always win a siege after completing stage 12. Things like leader siege, cannons, the province being coastal can massively affect siege progress speed. Basically resign yourself to coastal forts being a long undertaking unless you have boats, capitals take a while as well, and the rest of the forts should be ok.

quote:

Good example, I recently sieged some level 3 forts. The year is about 1470 and I'm unable to build that kind of fort. Am I just totally boned in tech? I can build temples and marketplaces and I've gotten my first idea group.

Those are capital forts - forts in a capital get a +2 bonus to their effective level so a level 1 fort, in a capital, becomes a level 3 fort. That's what you were hitting in 1470, so tech shouldn't be an issue in terms of castles. I think the next level fortress is mil 14, so you're good for a while.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I'm also confused by the "reinforce trade" option for the medium-sized boats; it tells me what kind of boost in value that should provide (from X to Y), but then the next boat shows the exact same numbers, which seems to imply that the previous boat didn't actually do anything for my trade value in that node? How much are these boats actually worth to my trade value in a node?

The tooltips that tell you how much money you'll gain by sending a boat have never been very reliable, trade calculations are complex. What nation are you playing? Generally you will want to send boats to your home node unless you have a large share there already, then it's better to send them to an upstream node you want to pull more trade home from.

I wouldn't bother trying to figure out the siege progression mechanics too much they're rather arcane. You need enough troops to conduct the siege, the Siege statistic on generals and every 3 artillery will speed sieges. You might not have artillery yet but it's a good idea to start attaching 1-3 to sieges when they become available.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rakthar posted:

Well, what are you trying to accomplish, and what are you having trouble with? Would a video series help?

The way siege progress works can be a little hard to understand. There are 12 siege stages, you have a chance of ending a siege before that on a lucky roll but you always win a siege after completing stage 12. Things like leader siege, cannons, the province being coastal can massively affect siege progress speed. Basically resign yourself to coastal forts being a long undertaking unless you have boats, capitals take a while as well, and the rest of the forts should be ok.

Those are capital forts - forts in a capital get a +2 bonus to their effective level so a level 1 fort, in a capital, becomes a level 3 fort. That's what you were hitting in 1470, so tech shouldn't be an issue in terms of castles. I think the next level fortress is mil 14, so you're good for a while.

It's 1 for capital and forts go 2 4 6 8 etc. Just in case anyone else was confused

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pellisworth posted:

The tooltips that tell you how much money you'll gain by sending a boat have never been very reliable, trade calculations are complex. What nation are you playing? Generally you will want to send boats to your home node unless you have a large share there already, then it's better to send them to an upstream node you want to pull more trade home from.

I wouldn't bother trying to figure out the siege progression mechanics too much they're rather arcane. You need enough troops to conduct the siege, the Siege statistic on generals and every 3 artillery will speed sieges. You might not have artillery yet but it's a good idea to start attaching 1-3 to sieges when they become available.

Basically the easiest way to figure out siege mechanics is to select an army in a siege, look at the siege view that should pop up instead of the province view, and just look at all the tooltips.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

GreyPowerVan posted:

France is allied to the pope, and that is the popes only ally. I think I can get at only milan by attacking florence, so that's my next option after I finish these wars.

also i have pluto and admin right now. Thinking exploration next.

I would suggest Quality. With that you get better infantry, better discipline, god-generals, and you'll be sitting at 60-80 Army Tradition more often than not. By the time you fill out your 3rd idea group you'll probably be ready to form Byz and you'll get the +5% discipline and +10% manpower and you'll be sitting somewhere in 1st-3rd place in total development (outside Ming who is locked at 50% autonomy) and have a very large reserve of manpower. For your 4th idea you can even pick up Quantity just for the first idea or two and you will be the most potent land power in Europe for the rest of the game.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I wanted to post about Army Tradition real quick. post CS I can't seem to keep my Army Tradition above 40 even with a +1 to tradition or -1 to decay modifier. This is in two different games where I was at war pretty much constantly and was winning battles, sieges, etc.

Did something change with Army tradition, and if so, when? I feel like in some ways trying to get it to be anything other than 40 is a fool's errand these days. Or rather - you can get 40 or so without doing anything, and if you want 60-80+ then you'll need to have like 2-3 bonuses helping out (NIs, ideas, events, etc).

Are there any tricks to raising it? Aren't fort sieges supposed to give Army Tradition? Either the 1 AT per fort is pretty worthless or I'm not doing something right, because I'll go to war with a country, siege a ton of forts and beat the hell out of them, and have 40 army tradition 2 years later just like I did at the start.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

This game just got it's hooks into me this week, after I'd tried a couple of other times to get into it without success. I'm playing Castile, which is great to start out because it's basically a conveyor belt of things you should be doing-- Navarra, Reconquista, Spanish nation, etc. I'm still confused about trade though; usually I build my fleet to be about 1/3 small ships for trading and the rest convoys or heavies. Then I split my light ships so that I have enough of them to make sure I'm the highest power in Sevilla (Portugal keeps expanding and trying to drink my node milkshake! :argh: ). If I hold the most trade power in Sevilla, I don't benefit from having a trader collect trade, right? So my excess small ships I should send to say Safi to direct trade towards Sevilla?

I think I'm getting it but the nuances of trade are still confusing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Basically the easiest way to figure out siege mechanics is to select an army in a siege, look at the siege view that should pop up instead of the province view, and just look at all the tooltips.

Yeah in the end it boils down to

1) have enough dudes to carry out the siege
2) Siege pips on your leader and for every three artillery up to a max of 15 add to the siege roll
3) coastal forts that aren't blockaded will go really slowly

Good Siege on your general, artillery, and blockade. Those are about the only things you can do to affect the progression of a siege and otherwise it's random.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Rakthar posted:

I wanted to post about Army Tradition real quick. post CS I can't seem to keep my Army Tradition above 40 even with a +1 to tradition or -1 to decay modifier. This is in two different games where I was at war pretty much constantly and was winning battles, sieges, etc.

Did something change with Army tradition, and if so, when? I feel like in some ways trying to get it to be anything other than 40 is a fool's errand these days. Or rather - you can get 40 or so without doing anything, and if you want 60-80+ then you'll need to have like 2-3 bonuses helping out (NIs, ideas, events, etc).

Are there any tricks to raising it? Aren't fort sieges supposed to give Army Tradition? Either the 1 AT per fort is pretty worthless or I'm not doing something right, because I'll go to war with a country, siege a ton of forts and beat the hell out of them, and have 40 army tradition 2 years later just like I did at the start.

Army tradition gains are slow and erratic. Without abusing the game as Brandenburg or something I find I only maintain very high AT if I am constantly at war and constantly fighting large battles during those wars. This only happens if
  • I am vastly superior to my enemy technologically
  • I am vastly superior to my enemy in terms of available manpower and money

Basically AT is completely broken and skews towards the powerful despite attempts to make sure that AT piles up faster for weaker countries. Sure, I might only get 0.1 AT when I stackwipe your armies, and you might get 1 AT from that same thing. But then I'm going to stackwipe two dozen of your allies and walk away with way more AT than you, because you can't get any more AT after I stackwipe your armies.

The #1 way to maintain 100 AT? Engage in a successful world conquest. The bigger and stronger you are, the more easily you can sustain the war machine that builds AT.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dibujante posted:

Army tradition gains are slow and erratic. Without abusing the game as Brandenburg or something I find I only maintain very high AT if I am constantly at war and constantly fighting large battles during those wars.

Basically AT is completely broken and skews towards the powerful despite attempts to make sure that AT piles up faster for weaker countries. Sure, I might only get 0.1 AT when I stackwipe your armies, and you might get 1 AT from that same thing. But then I'm going to stackwipe two dozen of your allies and walk away with way more AT than you, because you can't get any more AT after I stackwipe your armies.

Thanks man that's exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking about. It doesn't seem you can do much with it right now. Unfortunately the maintained forts / army tradition interaction seems to be a dud as a result, there's almost never a reason to keep useless forts around for the AT.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

QuarkJets posted:

Trade is actually pretty neat, I'll give you a general idea of how it works. It all makes sense when you look at the Trade Map (by default it's bound to E) and you can see all the trade nodes. So take a major one like Seville for example (it's the one most of Spain is in).

If you add Local and Incoming and subtract Outgoing you get the Trade Value in node. This is the amount of ducats per month that is available to be messed around with. In this case, my capital and by default my trade port (it can be moved around if you have Wealth of Nations) is a province inside the Seville trade area so I am automatically collecting from that node. If you look at the center box it says 171 (35%) meaning I have 171 Trade Power in the node or 35% of the total Trade Power in there. That means when I'm collecting I can earn 35% of the available money in there (5.40). I can add trade power by developing provinces (very slow, very expensive), upgrading specific provinces with marketplaces (look for the ones that have the squares with rivers and etc, it means they have a Big Bonus to trade power and represent trading centers in real life) or sending boats to Protect Trade. Basically the idea is that your dinky Light Ships patrol the trade routes, increasing your merchants' ability to trade in that area. By the way, don't listen to the little number that says "increases by x" when doing it though because AFAIK those tooltips are broken. The only thing you can trust is the actual amount of money coming in monthly at the top left.

So all those lines with arrows mean something too. It tells you about how Trade Value can be moved around the globe. So Seville is pretty nice in that to the left you have incoming value from the Carribean trade node (the top line) and the Ivory Coast (bottom line) as well as some value coming in from the Tunis node in North Africa (line on the right pointing towards the box). The line to the top right with the arrows leaving the node indicates that there's another node downstream, in this case Genoa, and a bunch of Italians and the Aragonese are using their Trade Power to push money (Outgoing: 2.27) towards the Genoa node where their capitals are and where they collect their trade cashmoney. There are a couple things you can do to reduce the amount of money leaving a node when you don't want it to and that really boils down to having more Trade Power. So either take/develop more territory in the node you're collecting in so you hog more of the money or just take out their ability to redirect your money (by invading their poo poo and taking those provinces for yourself).

So this is Tunis. It's North Africa so it's not very developed but it's still a Trade Node. If you notice the box with 1.79 and a red checkmark, that indicates that I have a Merchant there that is Transferring Trade Power. Myself, along with Portugal, are using our Trade Power (mine is specifically 39.4 or 16% of total power in the node) to transfer the money to Seville where it can be collected. Which leaves 0.91 for Tunis (the nation that lives in the Tunis trade node) to grab for itself every month but oh well too bad for them. The EU4 story of Imperialism is taking over countries across the world so you can invest Trade Power into their nodes and suck out all the money by pushing it towards your home node, leaving everyone there scrambling for the leftovers (like Tunis).

Anyway those are the quick basics of trade and it's already a lot of info. If you want to know more just ask away.

ArgaWarga posted:

This game just got it's hooks into me this week, after I'd tried a couple of other times to get into it without success. I'm playing Castile, which is great to start out because it's basically a conveyor belt of things you should be doing-- Navarra, Reconquista, Spanish nation, etc. I'm still confused about trade though; usually I build my fleet to be about 1/3 small ships for trading and the rest convoys or heavies. Then I split my light ships so that I have enough of them to make sure I'm the highest power in Sevilla (Portugal keeps expanding and trying to drink my node milkshake! :argh: ). If I hold the most trade power in Sevilla, I don't benefit from having a trader collect trade, right? So my excess small ships I should send to say Safi to direct trade towards Sevilla?

You auto collect in your trade node and adding a merchant to collect there only increases it by 10% so there's not much point. On the other hand, collecting in a trade node that doesn't have your capital/trade port cuts your Trade Power in that node by half, which more or less makes it very hard for you to strangle all the money out of nodes you're not supposed to make money in.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ArgaWarga posted:

Yes, here's a quick summary and other posters please correct me if I'm wrong.

Trade Value is generated from provinces based on their Goods Produced and the price of that commodity. Trade Power represents how much you control the trade in that node, allowing you to collect the trade value or relay it forward to another node. Trade Efficiency increases the trade income you collect.

By default you collect in the node where your capital is. Sending a merchant to collect in your home trade port increases Trade Efficiency by 10% (this is rarely worth it). As long as you're only collecting in your home trade port, each merchant steering toward your port increases your home trade power by 10%. Generally you will just have merchants steering toward your home port, but later in the game it may be beneficial to send merchants to collect in additional ports other than your home. Collecting outside your home port takes a hefty Trade Power penalty so it's most useful in nodes where you have a lot of Power but are unable to steer it home.

Light ships are best used in contested nodes. If you don't have 50% share in your home trade port, probably best expanding to dominate it more and sending some light ships there. Otherwise send them to nodes with high Trade Value you can send home that are contested. In your case, Portugal is going to use their fleets and merchants to steer a lot of New World trade home to your shared port of Sevilla, so there's really no need to send your own merchants or fleets if Portugal is already pushing trade in the direction you want. However, maybe England is colonizing all over the Caribbean but Portugal isn't, so then you'd definitely want to have your merchants competing to bring that trade to Sevilla instead of the English Channel.

A lot of it is trial and error, don't trust the tooltips.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 29, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wiz, any thoughts on letting us disband units and the men going back into the manpower pool? I always feel like I'm wasting my men when I disband a 200-300 unit of x.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

I would suggest Quality. With that you get better infantry, better discipline, god-generals, and you'll be sitting at 60-80 Army Tradition more often than not. By the time you fill out your 3rd idea group you'll probably be ready to form Byz and you'll get the +5% discipline and +10% manpower and you'll be sitting somewhere in 1st-3rd place in total development (outside Ming who is locked at 50% autonomy) and have a very large reserve of manpower. For your 4th idea you can even pick up Quantity just for the first idea or two and you will be the most potent land power in Europe for the rest of the game.

I feel like if I really need to take on European powers, I can. I kind of want to start colonizing because the sooner you do that the better.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ok my Japan run is going pretty well, I united the island and filled out exploration, have a foothold in siberia, colonized Taiwan and now slowly going for the philippines.

Any advice on taking on korea? My army is vastly better than theirs, but they are allied with Ming and a bunch of asian minors, while I have no allies.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Wiz, any thoughts on letting us disband units and the men going back into the manpower pool? I always feel like I'm wasting my men when I disband a 200-300 unit of x.

Yeah I never really understood why disbanding them meant they were suddenly free from ever serving again, but I assume it's for game balance reasons.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Ok my Japan run is going pretty well, I united the island and filled out exploration, have a foothold in siberia, colonized Taiwan and now slowly going for the philippines.

Any advice on taking on korea? My army is vastly better than theirs, but they are allied with Ming and a bunch of asian minors, while I have no allies.

Declare war on one of the Asian minors and make Korea sign a separate peace where they annul treaties with Ming. Then when your peace with them expires, beat them up and take their land.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah I never really understood why disbanding them meant they were suddenly free from ever serving again, but I assume it's for game balance reasons.

it seems less necessary now that you can't disband units next to enemy armies or territory.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm just rounding the corner on 1500 in my Vijayanagar game, and am pretty much dominating India at this point. Just won a decisive war against Bahmani to become the premier Indian power, and just founded my third colony in the spice islands, but am now wondering if I took the right ideas. I am always stumped for my first ideas in EU4. I took Expansion for my first, and just grabbed Quantity for my second.

What I'm wondering is was Expansion a good choice for my first? I took it thinking that I wanted to colonize some of Africa to get a border with a European nation to eventually westernize, but I'm thinking now I should have taken Exploration? Then I could have grabbed Humanist as my second or something.

Thoughts?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Aghh, I hate Poland. The France of the early game.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sokrateez posted:

So I'm just rounding the corner on 1500 in my Vijayanagar game, and am pretty much dominating India at this point. Just won a decisive war against Bahmani to become the premier Indian power, and just founded my third colony in the spice islands, but am now wondering if I took the right ideas. I am always stumped for my first ideas in EU4. I took Expansion for my first, and just grabbed Quantity for my second.

What I'm wondering is was Expansion a good choice for my first? I took it thinking that I wanted to colonize some of Africa to get a border with a European nation to eventually westernize, but I'm thinking now I should have taken Exploration? Then I could have grabbed Humanist as my second or something.

Thoughts?

Exploration -> Humanist would have been better, but Expansion -> Quantity is by no means bad, though unless your kings have high mil scores for a long time it might be tough to get Quantity ideas and stay up with tech.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sokrateez posted:

Thoughts?

I dunno much about playing in India, but I would pretty much never grab Expansion before Exploration. I'd much rather be dumping diplo points into ideas than admin points, which are way more important especially in the early game. Exploration also seems more generally useful if you just want to grab parts of Africa or Indonesia. And yeah, taking Expansion first means you have to wait longer to grab a better admin group like Admin or Humanist/Religious.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sokrateez posted:

Thoughts?

That's not a bad setup but you would have been much better off taking Exploration for a colonial idea set and Administrative or Humanist as your first admin-flavor pick, imo.

Expansion is overall a fairly terrible idea set, the big draw is +1 Colonist and the Expansion CB. However the Expansion CB is only usable as a Western/Eastern/Ottoman tech nation against low-tech nations in Africa and Asia, so you won't be able to use it until you Westernize. A lot of big Asian nations will also Westernize once they're able to, so the Expansion CB can become a lot less useful late in the game.

Edit: mostly Expansion is a niche pick if you're a European colonizer going whole-hog colonial or someone like Muscovy/Russia who can make use of a colonist and CB against Asia.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Acceptableloss posted:

I need some advice re: the league war.

I am playing as Protestant Venice and own all the coastal provinces from Venice to Constantinople. The Ottomans have been mostly crushed and I just finished smashing Austria and splitting off Styria from them. My allies are France, super Savoy (got the Burgundian inheritance) and super mega Commonwealth.

The leagues just formed and I want to join team Protestant and try to force it as the official HRE religion. France, Savoy, Switzerland and maybe Sweden will join me I think. The problem is that the Commonwealth has already joined team Catholic (I guess because they are Catholic and like Austria even though they are not allied) along with Hungary, Britain and Spain.

I want kick off the League War and watch Europe burn, but I'm concerned that I can't handle Commonwealth and Hungary next door. How do I get Commonwealth to leave team Catholic or even join me on the other side? I can't figure out how AI nations decide which side to join.

I could dump Commonwealth and ally their rival Muscovy, but I don't think Muscovy can stand up to them because their manpower and army are smaller than mine.

Any other ideas?

Pics to help clarify:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

That's not a bad setup but you would have been much better off taking Exploration for a colonial idea set and Administrative or Humanist as your first admin-flavor pick, imo.

Expansion is overall a fairly terrible idea set, the big draw is +1 Colonist and the Expansion CB. However the Expansion CB is only usable as a Western/Eastern/Ottoman tech nation against low-tech nations in Africa and Asia, so you won't be able to use it until you Westernize. A lot of big Asian nations will also Westernize once they're able to, so the Expansion CB can become a lot less useful late in the game.

Edit: mostly Expansion is a niche pick if you're a European colonizer going whole-hog colonial or someone like Muscovy/Russia who can make use of a colonist and CB against Asia.

Well, Expansion and Quantity together are not actually as bad in this situation as they would be apart, since they give a +1 Colonist policy. You might as well pick up Exploration next as well at that point and be all-in on colonization since you have 2/3 of the colonization idea groups already. Having 3-4 colonists running by 1550 is exponentially more useful than just one or two, and it isn't too ambitious to plan on being able to colonize and funnel trade from the west coast of the Americas to Asia as well as eventually dominate the Ivory Coast to capture the Caribbean trade. It takes a little more work to become a Britain-like global trade parasite when you aren't in Europe but if you start early it's very rewarding. Plus as Vijay you should be fairly secure at home and not really need the bonuses of the other idea groups for a while.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Jazerus posted:

Well, Expansion and Quantity together are not actually as bad in this situation as they would be apart, since they give a +1 Colonist policy. You might as well pick up Exploration next as well at that point and be all-in on colonization since you have 2/3 of the colonization idea groups already. Having 3-4 colonists running by 1550 is exponentially more useful than just one or two, and it isn't too ambitious to plan on being able to colonize and funnel trade from the west coast of the Americas to Asia as well as eventually dominate the Ivory Coast to capture the Caribbean trade. It takes a little more work to become a Britain-like global trade parasite when you aren't in Europe but if you start early it's very rewarding. Plus as Vijay you should be fairly secure at home and not really need the bonuses of the other idea groups for a while.

Yeah it's not a bad combo, it's just very niche. As a non-European you miss out on one of the most important benefits of Expansion (the CB) until you Westernize which for me makes it very subpar as a first pick. As a fourth or fifth grab after taking Exploration early? Great choice. Early I'd rather have Admin, Humanist, or Religious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thanks for the posts guys, it's good to know that I'm not just stupid and that the siege tooltips really are difficult to comprehend. I had read all of them, but the fact that there are 12 phases did not come across *at all*.

And the trade explanations are really good, too. I knew there was something wonky going on with those tooltips.

I'm playing as France, by the way. So far I've taken Provence and driven the English off of the continent, and I joined in a nice little Castille v Monocco war awhile ago that went really well for me (by just shuttling some guys over to hang around looting and killing stragglers). And after taking a bunch of Provence territory I had to crush some uprisings.

It's 1475, my economy is on track enough now, I've got my first explorer and I think I might start upgrading advisers...

• Locked thread