Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

PerilPastry posted:

Just gonna second this quote from the True Stories thread and recommend the poo poo out of Detective:

Agreed. I find that some of Lt. Kenda's views on crime and criminals are a little black and white, but he's a good storyteller. As was said, great voice too. The podcasts are fairly short and well-paced, which is nice. I'm curious to see what they are going to do for Season Two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan

Mike Duncan on Twitter posted:

Napoleon was the white Toussaint Louverture
:allears:

quote:

Fair warning re: Haitian rev- the shifting alliances between the rich whites, poor whites, free coloreds, slaves, French administrators...

...British, Spanish, royalists and republicans is going to be as complex as anything we've covered

They were all using each other and everyone thought everyone else was their chump. They were all simultaneously right and wrong

the lag time between France and St-D gets pretty funny. New orders leave France and then the govt that ordered them is toppled

this happens like 7 different times
We need a :haiti:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am deeply excited for this revolution that I know like, 2 things about.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Revolutions is a seriously good podcast. I live listening to the hosts voice, he doesn't shove his own personal politics in in a distracting, awful ways and the sound quality is great. This is a sharp contrast to other history podcasts I've listened to like the Civil War history podcast that put me to sleep, or the history of world war II podcast that... Well, half put me to sleep, half grated on me.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

rotinaj posted:

Revolutions is a seriously good podcast. I live listening to the hosts voice, he doesn't shove his own personal politics in in a distracting, awful ways and the sound quality is great. This is a sharp contrast to other history podcasts I've listened to like the Civil War history podcast that put me to sleep, or the history of world war II podcast that... Well, half put me to sleep, half grated on me.

What history of world war II podcast? I'm only familiar with Carlin's Armageddon series, and that's like watching a movie.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
"The history of WWII", By Ray Harris Jr. It's not very good, imo. He manages to make exciting things like dogfighting and bitter troop fighting super dull because he never changes inflection.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

mike12345 posted:

What history of world war II podcast? I'm only familiar with Carlin's Armageddon series, and that's like watching the extended version of both of the LotR trilogies.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

rotinaj posted:

He manages to make exciting things like dogfighting and bitter troop fighting super dull because he never changes inflection.

Duncan used to be exactly like this - check out the Punic Wars episodes of History of Rome to hear what I mean. He has really made huge improvements since 09.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So I was listening to the Three Kingdoms podcast, which is a pretty cool oral telling of the (very dramaticized) historical novel, Romance of the Three Kingdoms. On one of the episodes he gave a shout out to GrouchoMarx for linking to his podcast. It's not often that I get into something that then leads me right back to SA rather than the other way around. :v:

Anyway, it's a great podcast and I'm just glad to see that goons dig it too.

Edit: Forgot the link http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 28, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Rodyle posted:

I am deeply excited for this revolution that I know like, 2 things about.
If Mike gives it justice, you're in for a treat.

(spoilering this because i'm a huge history dork)

Toussaint Louverture, 1802 posted:

Do not forget while waiting for the rainy season, which must rid us of our enemies, we have no recourse but destruction and fire. Consider that the land bathed in our sweat must not furnish our enemies the least nourishment. Jam up all the roads, throw horses and corpses into all the springs; have everything burned and annihilated, so that those who come to return us to slavery will always have before them the image of the hell that they deserve.
:black101:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
One of my big podcast dreams other than #freebriandunning is getting more Whistlestop, even when they're covering political stories I'm familiar with they're delightful. Just wish we got them more often. Bout to listen to the one on Mario Cuomo.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

New Hardcore History coming out tonight and...it's probably World War 2.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
awww bummer, that's kind of just like the hardcore history cliche, so over world war II, they're just catering to the military jacket wearing libertarians really into history (of wars). No matter how well researched it is. That's why WWI was at least kind of refreshing. If we really really really have to stay 20th Century, anything but moooooore World War II.
I mean I remember hearing about him doing some ancient Egyptian thing but being unsure because of the sources or something? I'd still prefer something like that even then and more episodes like Prophets of Doom.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Malloreon posted:

New Hardcore History coming out tonight and...it's probably World War 2.

What makes you say that? He's been dropping hints for weeks (months) that it's ancient/classical.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

jerk1000 posted:

''

I guess I'm sold. Will check this out later.

This podcast is great and he ends his first two-parter with a ~10 minute boxing analogy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

rotinaj posted:

"The history of WWII", By Ray Harris Jr. It's not very good, imo. He manages to make exciting things like dogfighting and bitter troop fighting super dull because he never changes inflection.

Its interesting in that it literally has a billion hours of content and that he goes into the most absurd level of detail during the Blitz. Like, discussions of each loving sortie and the damage done from individual attack.

Plus the billion hours of the China side of the war which always gets neglected

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

uPen posted:

What makes you say that? He's been dropping hints for weeks (months) that it's ancient/classical.

He also posted on his forum at some point that they completely changed topic halfway through, so who knows :shrug:

edit: that tweet is from today so ignore me :v;

webmeister fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 29, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
YES! I go from ranting and whining about what I thought would be the WORST possible hardcore history topic (buh buh buh more ww2) to looking this morning and basically seeing that Dan Carlin did my loving JAM. THE THOUSAND NATIONS OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE DESCEND UPON YOU (gently caress 300 and Frank Miller tho for real)
I hope this ends up leaning way more Persian than Spartans though, like the episode description seems to indicate but not the initial minutes (I assume Sparta'll just be used as an intro to more Persian Empire stuff), Sparta's overrated and overplayed in pop history. Talk about the Band of Thebes owning them maybe.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 29, 2015

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

uPen posted:

This podcast is great and he ends his first two-parter with a ~10 minute boxing analogy.

gently caress it, I'm in.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh god a new episode. And it's about ancient history :woop:.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Quick! I need a count of the number of boxing analogies.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Looks like everyone else was waiting for the episode too, dancarlin.com is down.

It's 3½ hours on the Achaemenid empire. Only thing I remember about it is that it ruled almost half of the entire population of the world at the time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dunno why Xerxes (supposedly) even asked for an adviser to explain to him why the Spartans were stubbornly blocking his path? Hadn't he fought barbarians before? :smugdog: Surely the Scythians were similarly crazy and war-like.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Antti posted:

Looks like everyone else was waiting for the episode too, dancarlin.com is down.

It's 3½ hours on the Achaemenid empire. Only thing I remember about it is that it ruled almost half of the entire population of the world at the time.

:stare:

Sounds like it should be a fun episode, I love when they do things I know very little about, which is why I'm looking forward to the upcoming Revolutions series on the Hatian revolution.

Also, Mike Duncan announced that he has a book deal, its gonna be about the era between the Gracchus brothers and Sulla

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is it a one off or a series? If the latter I prefer having them all ready to listen to one after the other.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is it a one off or a series? If the latter I prefer having them all ready to listen to one after the other.

There's no pt I in the title but beyond that who knows until we actually listen to it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh gently caress yes I was so afraid of those threats of doing Alexander

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I just want more one-off episodes about interesting historical events that are lesser known. The full series are for sure amazing, but take multiple years to complete.

Give me more Prophets of Doom / Thor's Angels type of episodes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Its interesting in that it literally has a billion hours of content and that he goes into the most absurd level of detail during the Blitz. Like, discussions of each loving sortie and the damage done from individual attack.

Plus the billion hours of the China side of the war which always gets neglected

If the dude didn't sound so drat flat and monotone, I'd love it. His delivery sucks, and so anything that is... Ya know, intrinsically dull? Blitz stuff especially? I start to fall asleep, which is bad since I work with super dangerous chemicals. His biographies on Hitler and Churchill were pretty okay, but I skipped the entire Blitz because I couldn't take another ep of him talking about dogfighting so emotionlessly.

Dude needs to get a little more Carliny and less NPRy.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

WOOOOOOOOOO!!

New Hardcore History!

Me right now:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
This episode is really good, covering a ton of stuff I had zero clue about

Edit: Its a 2 parter

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 30, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Got a few daughters we can uhh spread around, got some blood we can suck, and, and, forever friends." :lol:

The Glumslinger posted:

Edit: Its a 2 parter
best news in a while

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
A good episode, but as someone who's really really into that era of history I didn't learn much new (the exchanging of blood was an interesting tidbit, tho). Still, it was fun just hearing the story of Cyrus getting the Carlin treatment. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Carlin leans toward Cyrus believing his own rhetoric.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any episode that makes me want to re-visit Age of Empires 1 is a good one in my book. Maybe spent a little too much time on the Assyrians for what was ostensibly an episode about the Persians, but it makes sense to talk about them regardless.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

One of my big podcast dreams other than #freebriandunning is getting more Whistlestop, even when they're covering political stories I'm familiar with they're delightful. Just wish we got them more often. Bout to listen to the one on Mario Cuomo.

gently caress Dunning. He stole over a million dollars that the cops never took back and he has the balls to beg for donations so he doesn't have to back to working for a living. He was only prosecuted for the first 200,000 of a much larger sum that originally got him investigated.

Also I hate his voice as much as I have ever hated any voice. I hate it as much as Sarah Vowell's--as much as David Sedaris'.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah he's a hilariously lame hypocritical scumbag, but I can't get over Smug Voice and it's kind part of the appeal for me. Plus it's hilarious listening to him ask for donations back then all like "YOU GIVE MONEY TO THAT KANYE GUY, YOU SHOULD BE GIVING ME MONEY".

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Just finished listening to the Hardcore episode. No boxing analogies but more than made up by movie analogies. But drat, if Herodotus is right, Tomyris was a bad rear end

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Prophets of Doom was great. Gotta love the 16th century German ISIS...

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Prophets of Doom is like a Dan Carlin version of a Dollop episode, it's so nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Maduo posted:

Prophets of Doom is like a Dan Carlin version of a Dollop episode, it's so nuts.

Dan should guest host The Dollop. I'm pretty sure Dan Carlin knows about some really crazy poo poo.