Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

vyelkin posted:

Problem is teachers unions have lost the war over optics when it comes to striking. Back when they were fighting Harris et al there were a significant number of people on their side, but nowadays the government has been so good at painting them as entitled overpaid spoiled brats who are harming the children when they strike that teachers know if they strike, they lose. And when that happens it gives the government license to make cuts in their next contract since they won.

The importance of optics are overblown. The worst that could happen is they get legislated back to work and go to arbitration. A position eminently preferable to trying to negotiate with someone that is unwilling to negotiate fairly and also already undermining your cause every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

Right, except you can't have unity without, you know, unity. If there are major differences in bargaining positions between the different unions (such as the class size issue mentioned above) that one group might be willing to sacrifice for other things but another doesn't, some group within is going to be unhappy about whatever choice is made and made the outward projection of solidarity weaker, which entirely defeats the purpose of doing that to begin with.

It's the unions responsibility to build solidarity between them and I doubt it's difficult to do. Everyone knows the province is playing a divide and conquor game already.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
taxes on alcohol and smokes are loving stupid unless you tax sugar/fast food/whatever as well

i got to pay more for beer but the 400 lb guy in my office who has a hundred health problems can buy his 99 cent menu every day

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 29, 2015

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Do it ironically posted:

taxes on alcohol and smokes are loving stupid unless you tax sugar/fast food/whatever as well

They do in Ontario, HST is applied to non essential grocery and prepared food over $4.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Do it ironically posted:

i got to pay more for beer but the 400 lb guy in my office who has a hundred health problems can buy his 99 cent menu every day

They do here in Ontario.

efb

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.
Cakes are essential grocery items.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Do it ironically posted:

they are not taxing luxuries because luxuries are bad. they are taxed because people are fuckin hooked on them and will buy them even if they cost too much, and daddy needs a new pair of shoes

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there a reason (aside from unpopularity) for not introducing a PST in Alberta, especially if oil prices stay low?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Sales taxes are regressive and an economically depressed province will, generally, have less purchasing power overall. Sales taxes only exacerbates that problem.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

rawrr posted:

Is there a reason (aside from unpopularity) for not introducing a PST in Alberta, especially if oil prices stay low?

Because a sales tax is regressive.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Problem is teachers unions have lost the war over optics when it comes to striking. Back when they were fighting Harris et al there were a significant number of people on their side, but nowadays the government has been so good at painting them as entitled overpaid spoiled brats who are harming the children when they strike that teachers know if they strike, they lose. And when that happens it gives the government license to make cuts to their next contract since they won.

The power of a union is its ability to withhold labour. Strikes aren't a PR campaign. A strike is about putting economic pressure on the employer. Good optics is beneficial because it adds political pressure to the employer and it increases morale of the strikers, but optics isn't the goal of a strike or where the power of a strike comes from. Unions have always been demonized and hated.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

jsoh posted:

they are not taxing luxuries because luxuries are bad. they are taxed because people are fuckin hooked on them and will buy them even if they cost too much, and daddy needs a new pair of shoes

so why dont we tax lottery winnings then, maybe because youre wrong? and i can assure you that people are addicted to food nobody gets to be morbidly obese just because of their fibromyalgia

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ikantski posted:

Time for an armed revolution imo. I love how Wynne is just blatantly ignoring the advice of the financial accountability officer she appointed in the position she created to prevent bad decisions like this.

‘It’s going,’ Wynne says of Hydro One sale despite watchdog warning

Last week: Congratulations Justin Trudeau on rescuing us from the leader who ignored qualified advisors and did whatever he wanted
This week: gently caress you I'm doing whatever I want

:downsbravo:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sovy Kurosei posted:

Because a sales tax is regressive.

But is that the reason Alberta doesn't have a PST? Alberta doesn't strike me as the most progressive place in Canada.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

The power of a union is its ability to withhold labour. Strikes aren't a PR campaign. A strike is about putting economic pressure on the employer. Good optics is beneficial because it adds political pressure to the employer and it increases morale of the strikers, but optics isn't the goal of a strike or where the power of a strike comes from. Unions have always been demonized and hated.

Ironically a teacher's strike won't necessarily cost the province money. It will save them money in the short term.

Sovy Kurosei
Oct 9, 2012

QuantaStarFire posted:

But is that the reason Alberta doesn't have a PST? Alberta doesn't strike me as the most progressive place in Canada.

A PST is incredibly unpopular. Being the only province to not have a PST is a badge of honour for many Albertans and a bit of a sacred cow.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Greg Selinger raised PST from 7% to 8% in Manitoba and essentially sealed the MNDP fate in next years election.(He also promised to never raise the PST and that the extra funding would be for our poo poo infrastructure and no one has seen that money yet, while the province runs a huge deficit.)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah but it is conservative and they don't like taxes, generally.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/how-much-income-tax-could-canadas-top-1-pay
https://www.policyalternatives.ca/newsroom/news-releases/room-hike-federal-taxes-1-study

Room to hike federal taxes on the 1%: study
OCTOBER 29, 2015

OTTAWA—The new federal government has plenty of room to raise the taxes of Canada’s one percenters, according to a new study by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA).

The study, released in the wake of a federal election that handed the Liberals a majority government, concludes there is plenty of room for the new government to make good on its election promise to raise the top marginal income tax rate on those earning $200,000 or more to 33%. In fact, the findings suggest there is room to do more higher up the income scale.

How Much Income Could Canada’s Top 1% Pay?, by internationally respected CCPA Research Associate Lars Osberg, shows Canada’s richest now pay a lower tax rate than in the 1990s even though their share of total income has increased dramatically.

“The top marginal income tax rate has been well over 50% for most of the time Canada has had an income tax. In fact, during Canada’s high growth years between 1940 and 1980, the top marginal income tax rate was well over 70%. Now the top federal income tax rate is 29%,” says Osberg. “Our federal government used to ask more of Canada’s richest one per cent. There are plenty of reasons to do so again.”

Among the report’s findings:

Canada, on average, has become a low-tax jurisdiction for the affluent compared to the U.S. When provincial income tax is added to federal income tax, the average total top marginal income tax rate on labour income was 45.7% in 2013. The average top marginal income tax rate across American states was 47.9%.

Special tax treatment for capital gains and dividends and other features of the tax code meant that the top one per cent of Canada’s tax filers actually paid much less than the nominal top 45% marginal tax rate. Averaging over five years, 2008-12, the top one percent (those earning $205,460 or more) paid an average actual tax rate of 33.2%.

Introducing a new 65% marginal tax rate for income in excess of $205,000 would roughly double the current actual marginal tax rate at the top and could yield between $15.8 billion and $19.3 billion in additional tax revenue. The median top one percenter with taxable income of $289,000 would see a $27,000 increase, on average, in taxes.

If capital gains income was also taxed, the yield in additional revenue could be between $21.8 billion and $26.1 billion.

To put these revenue gains in context, in 2012-2013 the total tuition revenue of Canada’s colleges and universities was $8.1 billion and federal infrastructure spending was $5 billion. Total provincial and federal income tax revenue was $176.7 billion.

The paper finds scant evidence that higher top tax rates would prompt a rush of “job creators” or “the best and brightest” to emigrate.

I wonder what Trudeau will do with regard to the partisanship of the CRA auditing process.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Do it ironically posted:

smart taxation schemes tax all that poo poo

but BC wasn't smart enough to keep HST

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

The wealth gap is so extreme in Alberta some decent progressive taxation could fund everything in this province easily.
Crank the top tier all the way to 90%, lets go full FDR.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

But if executives have to pay more taxes, they'll just leave and execute somewhere else instead of creating jobs.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If all the highly paid doctors, business men or whatever the gently caress left we wouldn't miss poo poo. There are tons of trained doctors making poo poo pay because no one is hiring their specialty, same goes for lawyers and all other professionals. In business all the skills are in the workers anyways, not the highly paid managers.

Those fuckers know they aren't special and wont leave, there are many Canadians itching for their job and they'd do it at a lower pay.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What was going on in this thread when the BC hst referendum was going on? Which sjw shitheads were advocating against it?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

cowofwar posted:

If all the highly paid doctors, business men or whatever the gently caress left we wouldn't miss poo poo. There are tons of trained doctors making poo poo pay because no one is hiring their specialty, same goes for lawyers and all other professionals. In business all the skills are in the workers anyways, not the highly paid managers.

Those fuckers know they aren't special and wont leave, there are many Canadians itching for their job and they'd do it at a lower pay.

the people in the business that are the skilled workers are actually goign to be affected by ~progressive taxation~ and i can already hear their bitching

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat right. Eliminate corporate tax, massively increase personal income tax for those above the median.

Don't like it? Leave. The company that hired you is going to stay though, and will find someone else.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

drat right. Eliminate corporate tax, massively increase personal income tax for those above the median.

So you advocate abolishing tax on the profits of corporations and making that up by massively increasing personal income tax on people making above $30,000?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Viaduct chat.

quote:

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson denies B.C. Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone's claims that the city hadn't consulted with the province before voting to remove the viaducts that lead to the downtown core.

"I think he may not have been briefed and updated on the extensive meetings and discussions that have been going on between the city and the province," said Robertson.

After city councillors voted 5-4 to remove the Georgia and Dunsmuir viaducts, Stone said the viaducts' removal was not a done deal and that city needed to "cool down" on its plans.

gently caress the loving Liberals.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 29, 2015

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Ikantski posted:

So you advocate abolishing tax on the profits of corporations and making that up by massively increasing personal income tax on people making above $30,000?

Just start at 10% and increase the tax by 10% for each multiple of the median income (M) you go up, up to 110% for income above 10xM.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

Viaduct chat.

gently caress the loving Liberals.

Do they have the actual legal authority to prevent the city from doing it?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

This is the Nordic model

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do they have the actual legal authority to prevent the city from doing it?

I doubt it, but they could retaliate by making life hell for us in other ways. They're just pandering to their base of angry suburban motorists

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

JawKnee posted:

smart taxation schemes tax all that poo poo

but BC wasn't smart enough to keep HST

But at least we get those sweet sweet PST exemptions! We really got our moneys worth.

Jordan7hm posted:

Don't like it? Leave. The company that hired you is going to stay though, and will find someone else.

This only works if you also make changes to stop wages being paid via means that are not as taxable (i.e. capital gains).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

THC posted:

I doubt it, but they could retaliate by making life hell for us in other ways. They're just pandering to their base of angry suburban motorists

gently caress the loving BC Libs, for real.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

This is the Nordic model

But I want to work extra hard and make lots of money?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress the loving BC Libs, for real.

NDP gonna lose again lol~ :rip:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

This is actually a pretty decent idea, in terms of a palatable way to raise taxes.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

But I want to work extra hard and make lots of money?

Own a business, or nfp. Tax shelters, game on.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ikantski posted:

Median not average. But yes. I am hugely in favour of significantly higher marginal tax rates for top income brackets. Of which I would argue we should have significantly more.

Also yes part of this means changing how we tax capital gains, as well as the rules around corporations of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Ikantski posted:

Time for an armed revolution imo. I love how Wynne is just blatantly ignoring the advice of the financial accountability officer she appointed in the position she created to prevent bad decisions like this.

‘It’s going,’ Wynne says of Hydro One sale despite watchdog warning
So, their stated goal is to fund infrastructure by.... selling off infrastructure? Profitable infrastructure at that?

Why? I mean, what possible ideological reason underlies that plan? Even the Ontario PCs are against it.