Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Night10194 posted:

It also makes it easy for Kruber to swing over Bardin's head with a two-hander while Bardin tanks.

That makes sense. I wasn't getting the most kills, but it was fun as hell being the stubborn little fucker keeping the rats at bay while my team went all out on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010
Just got this hat for Witch Hunter:

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Yeah I think on paper the Bow and x-box come out pretty even with handguns over time, but functionally, you are using your ranged weapon to pick off key targets then switching back to melee. In that situation, where you need all your damage right away, handguns just win out. If they buffed Scavenger on bows and x-bows (bolts and arrows are much more easily retrievable on the go) so that ammo wasn't such a big deal, their windows of usefulness might be different.

Maybe in situations like a rat ogre spawn or sitting next to an ammo box during a swarm, bows are superior, but I'm unsure. I haven't done math to come to this conclusion.

Edit: On a separate note, has anyone gotten a brace of pistols for the WH with reduced spread, and is it as amazing as I imagine?

Elpato fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 29, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Elpato posted:

Yeah I think on paper the Bow and x-box come out pretty even with handguns over time, but functionally, you are using your ranged weapon to pick off key targets then switching back to melee. In that situation, where you need all your damage right away, handguns just win out. If they buffed Scavenger on bows and x-bows (bolts and arrows are much more easily retrievable on the go) so that ammo wasn't such a big deal, their windows of usefulness might be different.
I don't know. Headshots with a blue crossbow kill targets dead on hard/nightmare, same as the handguns, and my blue handgun doesn't kill Sormvermin with a bodyshot, so I can't see the difference in damage being too relevant. If you miss, faster reloads are what determines effective DPS.

Damathacus posted:

Just got this hat for Witch Hunter:

Captain Witch Hunter for you, landlubber.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 29, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Elpato posted:

Maybe in situations like a rat ogre spawn or sitting next to an ammo box during a swarm, bows are superior, but I'm unsure. I haven't done math to come to this conclusion.

Supposedly, emptying your ammo with either pistols or hunting bow with a strength potion works well on ogres (but you're out of ammo).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inside Out Mom posted:

That makes sense. I wasn't getting the most kills, but it was fun as hell being the stubborn little fucker keeping the rats at bay while my team went all out on them.

If you can swing a decent pair of Drakefires, it gets even more fun because you can shotgun blast the fuckers as they close to melee, which makes them all really, really mad at you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The best part about this game is playing with pubs on normal and wiping to a single packmaster. :suicide:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

McGavin posted:

The best part about this game is playing with pubs on normal and wiping to a single packmaster. :suicide:

You know the tooltip about how you should rush ahead to kill sackrats? One of my friends 'jokingly' said he had to do so after seeing the tip, and since we were all new, it ended up with a situation where 3 of us got packmastered by the same guy due to him splitting off, one of us trying to save him, etc. We still made it, just...well. It taught us that lesson quick.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Guys guys guys. The BP exploit is great because once you get the loot you need you can concentrate on the important things, like hats.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Nightmare pubbies are actually... Good? I know, it's weird poo poo but... Yeah

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Dont be so sure, i ran a nightmare where everyone was playing well (even the elf!) but the Bright Wizard. He literally could not stop shooting us in the back with his lovely little staff.

We told him time and again to stop trying to shoot rats and use his melee weapon. Then we had enough after he downed someone. In the end we went Robocop on him when he was at low HP and left his carcass for the rats.

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 29, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

On normal I don't really ever have to block. I just keep swinging my flamberge, or sword and dagger, and all the rats die forever. On hard this doesn't stop 2/3 of them from stabbing me at least once. How do you block so you don't get just fuckin' murdered by stabs to the face and sides? When I block a huge group feels like a few are going to keep standing and they invariably stab me on hard so blocking feels pretty not useful the way I do it. Am I supposed to block and run or attack or blow all three charges to make sure the whole group is supine?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If it's a huge group you don't block you push them back (Hold Block and press attack) then stride forwards to cut their heads off. You only block single skaven.

Damathacus
Apr 1, 2010

Krinkle posted:

On normal I don't really ever have to block. I just keep swinging my flamberge, or sword and dagger, and all the rats die forever. On hard this doesn't stop 2/3 of them from stabbing me at least once. How do you block so you don't get just fuckin' murdered by stabs to the face and sides? When I block a huge group feels like a few are going to keep standing and they invariably stab me on hard so blocking feels pretty not useful the way I do it. Am I supposed to block and run or attack or blow all three charges to make sure the whole group is supine?

Use your dodges, hit them few times dodge away when they start wind up to hit you. Also note that trash rats recoil from pain when you hit them so you can use that to interrupt their attacks.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I block in the gap between weapon move sets, or to get my bearings. Blocking is 360 degree I believe.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
If I can get 60-70 fps running L4D2 with all settings maxed out (resolution 1920×1080) on my laptop, will I be able to run this on medium high with the same resolution?

And my wireless isn't the greatest, Chivalry basically requires me to plug in the old cat6 just so I when I see my sword hit something it actually hits something. How is the netcode and is there any fancy stuff going on with the melee that would make hit detection worse?

I wanna get in on slaying some rat bastards but I returned Tales of Zimbabwe or whatever the other day so I'm not sure if in the event that got this and it ran like poo poo I would be able to get a refund.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Fans posted:

If it's a huge group you don't block you push them back (Hold Block and press attack) then stride forwards to cut their heads off. You only block single skaven.

I never considered blocking, not pushing even once. I forgot that was a thing. I mean I don't have a shield so it doesn't feel like a thing I could do by itself, it feels like weird preemptive gestures that indicate i'm ready for a push. In my previous post pretend I said push instead of block but I guess I need to ask when to just block and do nothing else now?
Does blocking with a weapon block some/most damage? Do shields block all damage except rat punches? Does blocking with anything absorb a stamina charge?

CountingWizard posted:

I block in the gap between weapon move sets, or to get my bearings. Blocking is 360 degree I believe.

I just noticed that existed. It's really obvious with the sword+dagger elf weapon. Four stabs and then I just kinda reset. I was wondering if that was a good time to push.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Krinkle posted:

I never considered blocking, not pushing even once. I forgot that was a thing. I mean I don't have a shield so it doesn't feel like a thing I could do by itself, it feels like weird preemptive gestures that indicate i'm ready for a push. In my previous post pretend I said push instead of block but I guess I need to ask when to just block and do nothing else now?
Does blocking with a weapon block some/most damage? Do shields block all damage except rat punches? Does blocking with anything absorb a stamina charge?

It blocks all damage. Even Rat Punches. In fact it's vital for fighting Rat Ogres as you can block a hit at full Stamina and take 0 damage.

Blocking differs on the Stamina lost. For basic vermin it's half a shield, for Stormvermin it can be 2 or 3 and Rat Ogres will take the whole bar (No matter the weapon) The reason to do it over a push is its just quicker, you can snap one out and be immune from damage until the block breaks and blocking a Stormvermin seems to stun them far better than a push. If you push just as they are swinging they're likely to still hit you.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Ah gently caress it, it's 32.99 and I just paid all my bills. Worst case Ontario I'll just need to run it on medium 720p and plug my laptop into the router.

Somebody should still answer my questions though because it's a bigger download than I thought!

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Bukowski posted:

If I can get 60-70 fps running L4D2 with all settings maxed out (resolution 1920×1080) on my laptop, will I be able to run this on medium high with the same resolution?

And my wireless isn't the greatest, Chivalry basically requires me to plug in the old cat6 just so I when I see my sword hit something it actually hits something. How is the netcode and is there any fancy stuff going on with the melee that would make hit detection worse?

If 60-70 is the highest you can get and not just what it's capped at, then no, you probably won't get a good framerate at medium high settings. The game is very heavy on the CPU.

Network wise, I believe all your own hits are clientside while the enemy hits may be serverside? I'm not sure, I just know that blocking is not as reliable with high latency. It's certainly still playable at ~200 ping.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Bukowski posted:

The comparisons to L4D2 is conceptual. It's not a mod and it's not using the Source engine. It's a newer engine with better graphics. It will almost certainly be slower than your L4D2 framerate, but without knowing more it's hard to say. The game looks fine on even low settings, and you likely won't be spending much time looking at the graphics as you're going to be killing rats.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bukowski posted:

Ah gently caress it, it's 32.99 and I just paid all my bills. Worst case Ontario I'll just need to run it on medium 720p and plug my laptop into the router.

Don't worry, there'll always be Toronto

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Krinkle posted:

This is why I hate you Krinkle. I swear I've told you how to block before.

I'm also gratified that other people block rat ogres, not just me. Doesn't help if no one takes aggro off you and you get a second hit before you regain stamina though :v:

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Sweet, thanks for the replies.

I'll make a post about how it runs after work and then get going with some mothafuckin GOONS!

So stoked to unleash my inner Charlie Kelly.

Please tell me there's a spiked club

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

McGavin posted:

a hellspawn born of jockey and smoker parents that has a catcher for everyone in the group :argh:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Bukowski posted:

Sweet, thanks for the replies.

I'll make a post about how it runs after work and then get going with some mothafuckin GOONS!

So stoked to unleash my inner Charlie Kelly.

Please tell me there's a spiked club

Mage gets spiked club.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Why do people try to snipe with the elf. I like to just spray and pray medium range into a hoard before going fill blender. It's way more satisfying.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Why do people try to snipe with the elf. I like to just spray and pray medium range into a hoard before going fill blender. It's way more satisfying.

Because people will shower them with praise after they see what an MLG skillshot sniper they are

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Wizard gets a Morningstar :airquote: Battle Scepter :airquote:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Wizard gets a Morningstar :airquote: Battle Scepter :airquote:

i like how even the game points out that it looks like a mace, it swings like a mace, it hits like a mace, but good GOD is that drat bright wizard insistent that it's a 'battle scepter'.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I am also one of the folks who has trouble blocking. Sometimes it seems like I can do no wrong and time everything perfectly, other times I send one wave of slaverats flying only to take, like, 5 simultaneous hits from the next row. For a while I tried a rhythm of power swing -> push -> power swing, and then power swing -> back dodge -> power swing, but it's definitely not anything that simple.

My real problem seems to be that whenever I push, I knock the guys in front of me down.... only to immediately get hit by the next 'stack' who were coming in right behind them.Double pushing mitigates this a bit but is no guarantee.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Why yes, let me put down my flaming sword and pick up a steel mace.

I really connect with the BW on a personal level

E. For those having trouble with dodge/blocking, try to do them at the same time, especially against storm vermin and ogres. That way even if there are two storms you have a good chance of dodging one, even if the other hits you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Loot grind = bad, less loot grind = good. i am really missing the lack of logic here. I think the loot system is unneeded and dumb, so getting to skip some of it sounds really appealing to me, since then i can go back to just playing the game to play the game and not chasing a weapon i want, or being annoying that only one character has a good set of weapons but my friend wants to play that one and im stuck with all whites again

But, earlier we've already established that you only need loot to play the hardest difficulty and the rest can be done if you're not retarded.

So you don't need the loot, its there for those who want it and those who don't can ignore it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

gently caress you, we already moved past this topic.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why yes, let me put down my flaming sword and pick up a steel mace.

I really connect with the BW on a personal level

It's a battle scepter god drat it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Loot is like Pavlov's bell

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The reward is a stain in my pants when I roll a blue (balls)

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

While we're on the topic, how do you attract a rat ogre's attention? It doesn't seem like shoving it in the back makes it want to kill me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Drythe posted:

gently caress you, we already moved past this topic.

It bears repeating: if you are mad about loot in Vermintide it means your brain is broken.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

While we're on the topic, how do you attract a rat ogre's attention? It doesn't seem like shoving it in the back makes it want to kill me.

I've had good luck with just hitting it a lot. If you are a BW it really doesn't like getting beamed from the beam staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gimnbo posted:

The rogre is a mysterious and temperamental beast. In general "I am hitting him while his current target is not" tends to make him switch focus but sometimes he'll just get a rage boner for one person no matter what they do.

• Locked thread