Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nationalized Rogers stores would be like the LCBO pre-beautification. Plain rack shelving, exposed light bulbs and carton roller track everywhere. Cash only. You go in each month and pay upfront for your monthly service and any long distance calls you plan to make that month. A 56 digit code comes down the roller track in a re-used Piat D'or case. There is a guy whose sole job it is to take the code out of the box and read it back to you, all at once in a bored monotone from behind glass and through a speaker, as you are not allowed to handle your own code while in-store.

They close at 4:30pm. Open weekdays only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nah, you just pick the service you want, and they put it against your tax return. One quick e-File and you're done.

And it'll be super cheap because everyone pays into it, and isn't required to make 10% year-over-year profits to satisfy shareholders for the CEO's bonus every year.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like it to be like Consumers Distributing was. You go in, pick your internet order out of a catalogue in the front, and then they send it to the warehouse via a series of tubes.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mister Macys posted:

Nah, you just pick the service you want, and they put it against your tax return. One quick e-File and you're done.

And it'll be super cheap because everyone pays into it, and isn't required to make 10% year-over-year profits to satisfy shareholders for the CEO's bonus every year.

And then Harper defunds it because SMALL GOVERNMENT.

Or the Liberals misappropriate the funds to balance the budget.

Bieeardo posted:

I'd like it to be like Consumers Distributing was. You go in, pick your internet order out of a catalogue in the front, and then they send it to the warehouse via a series of tubes.
This is more likely. Please wait 3 weeks for delivery. But still a better range of choices than Sears had.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Coxswain Balls posted:

Someone brought up the principle of reciprocity earlier in the thread, but I ended up learning that it only applies when the transmitter and receiver are broadcasting at the same power output, which isn't really the case with cable communications.

Pretty much. Coax is still pretty noisy stuff, and docsis providers have to build around it. That being said, if the last mile is in decent shape, docsis 3.1 allows for gigabit upload. I think the timeline for that is pretty far out in my area, Shaw is just now "testing" 32 internet carriers in certain areas, and they're actively pushing people into lower tiers with worse bandwidth and data caps for more money.

Sadly, I think Shaw customers would actually get better service from Rogers.. What's this I hear about 150 bucks for no-cap gigabit and bundled TV? I pay 135 for what I'm using now (internet only, 100% saturation in peak times on my node, being forced into a lower tier of service)..

Maybe Rogers will buy Shaw?? :p

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Haha just had Telus tech support try to sell me on a "Tech support plus" plan for either $60 per incident or a mere $15/month for support of up to 3 computers with a minimum of 1 year commitment. All support done via remote desktop.

Good times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How could you turn that down?

On the other hand, I couldn't imagine being a support person at an ISP. I know how I get just talking to my own family when they have computer problems, let alone if it was my job.

I'd probably commit suicide within an hour.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
At my last job the company was doing fancy Remote Desktop stuff with hardware offload processing to hook into virtual machines hosted in a data centre.

At one stage there was talk that Telus would be renting people the stateless clients (all you need is power and ethernet then plug in your mouse, keyboard and monitor) and then people could have a VM that would always be backed up and secure. Seemed like a great idea for older non computer literate folks who really just need webbrowsing and emailing grandkids. Most DSL links these days would handle the required bandwidth no problem. You can get the service thru amazon web services too so Telus wouldn't have to do poo poo other than rent the portals and slap their branding on it.

Really surprised it never went anywhere.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

priznat posted:

At my last job the company was doing fancy Remote Desktop stuff with hardware offload processing to hook into virtual machines hosted in a data centre.

At one stage there was talk that Telus would be renting people the stateless clients (all you need is power and ethernet then plug in your mouse, keyboard and monitor) and then people could have a VM that would always be backed up and secure. Seemed like a great idea for older non computer literate folks who really just need webbrowsing and emailing grandkids. Most DSL links these days would handle the required bandwidth no problem. You can get the service thru amazon web services too so Telus wouldn't have to do poo poo other than rent the portals and slap their branding on it.

Really surprised it never went anywhere.

HP sells a product like this that's built into a monitor, which itself can run on PoE. So you could theoretically have one cord to your high-speed modem. I thought it would be a shoe-in for ISPs to offer something like that - always "fast", always backed up, constant malware surveillance, etc., etc. Maybe it's still too early for something like that, though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The NC rides again!

But seriously, this is what, the 10th revival of the NC platform idea since the 90s?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sixfools posted:

There is shielding around the braiding. Either way it is utilized currently and wont be once all analogue channels are off air. conversation done with.

As an electrical engineer and someone who's worked in some of the head ends @ rogers as an Engineer PLEASE SHUT THE gently caress UP. Thanks.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

mediaphage posted:

HP sells a product like this that's built into a monitor, which itself can run on PoE. So you could theoretically have one cord to your high-speed modem. I thought it would be a shoe-in for ISPs to offer something like that - always "fast", always backed up, constant malware surveillance, etc., etc. Maybe it's still too early for something like that, though.

It is. The cost to do a proper VDI like that with high def video and games and such just isn't at the point where it makes sense for an ISP to offer it as a service.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mediaphage posted:

I think that is the product from my ex-company, they are also in Samsung and LG monitors too. Running off PoE is extra neat with only the one plug required.

Really they just need to rent the portals/monitors and have amazon handle the VDI through https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/

It was quite useable for watching videos when I tried it over a 15Mb DSL. Only thing it wouldn't be great at is gaming but that's not the target market anyway. Also something like Skype wouldn't be great either which grandparents do love..

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anything with a high bitrate is gonna suffer.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7473041

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sixfools posted:

There is shielding around the braiding. Either way it is utilized currently and wont be once all analogue channels are off air. conversation done with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:raise: "Do you know what a barrel shroud is?"
:v: "Is it the shoulder thing that goes up?"
:raise: "No, it's not."
- 2007 MSNBC interview, Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not really ISP, but Bell is caught doing more slimy poo poo.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bell-hit-with-1-25m-fine-for-planting-4-star-reviews-for-phone-apps-1.3271222

quote:

Canada's Competition Bureau has slapped Bell Canada with a $1.25 million fine for encouraging employees to plant glowing online reviews for two company phone apps

The legitimacy of online reviews has become a growing concern in the digital world where reviewers often remain anonymous. The Bell and Virgin mobile apps were launched in November 2014 and immediately garnered four-star reviews on Apple's iTunes App Store and Google Play Store. At the time, CBC News reported that possibly half a dozen or more of the rave write-ups were penned by Bell Canada employees – many in senior positions. None of the workers disclosed that they worked for Bell.

In a ruling issued today, the Competition Bureau stated that it "determined that these reviews and ratings created the general impression that they were made by independent and impartial consumers and temporarily affected the overall star rating for the apps."

According to the Bureau, along with paying a fine, Bell has "affirmed its commitment not to direct, encourage or incentivize its employees" to review company products in app stores. The telecommunications company will also sponsor and host a workshop to foster trust in the digital world.

Canada's competition watchdog also noted that Bell removed the reviews shortly after the issue first came to light.

Whistleblower is pleased

"To see that they got fined, I'm very happy," says Scott Stratten, president of UnMarketing, a company that writes about unethical marketing tactics.

He first uncovered the planted Bell reviews. Stratten noticed something was amiss when reading reviews for the latest version of the MyBell Mobile app after it launched last November.

He thought some of the language used was suspicious. For example, S Saade wrote: "Excellent new app. Looking forward to updates with residential services."

"Just words that you do not say in real life," Stratten said at the time.

He began cross-checking reviewers' user names with LinkedIn profiles where people list their work status. He discovered many of the positive reviewers were actually Bell employees.

For example, "S Saade," turned out to be Saad Saade on Linkedin who was vice-president of IT Bell Mobility. Reviewer Tori Brown wrote: "Awesome app! Love it!" Stratten found a Tori Brown on LinkedIn who also turned out to be a senior project manager at Bell.

Stratten tells CBC News that he hopes Bell's fine will serve as a deterrent. "With no repercussion to an action, then there's no reason not to do it again," he says.

He believes many companies plant reviews to bolster products. But he says perhaps now they will think twice knowing the Competition Bureau could take serious action.

"It's sending a message to everybody, saying ethics are important and we will be watching over it."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

1.25 million is just a rounding error. Next time they'll just hire a third party booster.

Yes, I am cynical, why do you ask?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
That doesn't make you wrong.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo, out of nowhere:

Netflix gets streaming rights for the new Star Wars in Canada only for 2016.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/netflix-to-stream-star-wars-the-force-awakens-exclusively-in-canada-1.3288104

quote:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is slated to come to the service in the country; under the terms of the deal, that will occur approximately eight months after the movie leaves theatres."
Yeah, I'll be waiting for that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo, out of nowhere:

Netflix gets streaming rights for the new Star Wars in Canada only for 2016.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/netflix-to-stream-star-wars-the-force-awakens-exclusively-in-canada-1.3288104

Yeah, I'll be waiting for that.

Jesus, even PSN/Xbox Video™ would be faster than that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably, and you could torrent it even faster than that if you wanted, but legit stream in HD next summer with no extra PPV fees or anything for it? Seriously, I'll wait. That's pretty cool for possible one of the biggest/most anticipated movies in 10+ years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If that's the best they can do with their Disney partnership, I'm glad I went back to the traditional Canadian method of viewing content.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

RIP teksavvy
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30381435-UPDATE-rCable-vCable-SIRP-and-ZtC

quote:

All rCable and vCable customers will also receive notice about our new Shared Internet Resources Policy (SIR Policy), which will be implemented on December 1, 2015. This policy will likely apply to all of TekSavvy's customers in the months ahead, but initially we are starting with rCable and vCable customers since these are our highest-cost bandwidth platforms.
The new SIR Policy explains measures we will be taking to address network congestion that happens during the download day (8 a.m. to 2 a.m.) - in other words, measures we're taking to better manage our shared Internet resources. We will keep provisioning bandwidth aggressively to ensure an uncongested experience, but throwing more bandwidth at the problem forces every user to chip in for all the bandwidth needed to handle the activity of any user. And as mentioned, bandwidth is extremely costly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What does that mean in english?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They're going to start traffic shaping/throttling when their network gets congested.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

As much as I love to fanboy Teksavvy, they're pretty much the last TPIA that doesn't have this, so you can't be TOO mad at them finally caving.

Start, if there is congestion and you have done >20GB in the day you have the lowest priority.
vMedia, can basically throttle whenever, however they want if there is congestion.
EBOX, pretty sure they can throttle whenever, however they want if there is congestion.
You get the picture.

You can thank the CRTC's inaction to fix CBB pricing.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 29, 2015

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

On the bright side, you can pay $5 to opt out if you're not on the unlimited plan :cheers:

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

On the bright side, you can pay $5 to opt out if you're not on the unlimited plan :cheers:

This is what kind of rubs me the wrong way, I pay for unlimited because I -AM- an rear end in a top hat and download tons, but I can't pay $5 more a month to just opt out of it entirely (while still paying my own way).

Might as well just drop from unlimited to a 400GB plan and shift all my downloading to their free window.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

37th Chamber posted:

This is what kind of rubs me the wrong way, I pay for unlimited because I -AM- an rear end in a top hat and download tons, but I can't pay $5 more a month to just opt out of it entirely (while still paying my own way).

Might as well just drop from unlimited to a 400GB plan and shift all my downloading to their free window.

No joke, they'd love to have you do that.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

No joke, they'd love to have you do that.

Shifting downloads? Sure, they eat that poo poo up on any package because of the stupid 95th percentile CBB. I do actually keep most my heavy downloading off-peak by choice to help them out.

Going down to the 400GB package? Naw, they want as many unlimited users as they want, Marc himself admits unlimited users help subsidizes the package lineup all the way down.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

They say the unlimited packages are coming down in price so maybe they will almost be competitive with Rogers.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

They say the unlimited packages are coming down in price so maybe they will almost be competitive with Rogers.

Unless the interim rates are changed by CRTC, nope, not even close. Indies are already losing money on almost everything above 50Mbps if you even come close to your monthly cap.

For your amusement, current tariff rates: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LS69t55shCH8X7_LaNGQ0DkBIIdqXac0T3p1Uc5dBmM/edit#gid=0

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Not sure if folks know about this or if it had been posted before. I had gotten annoyed again by not being able to have transparent bridging in my Telus actiontec router again I did a little googling and found this:

http://npopson.com/archives/2202

Basically a super simple html hack on the actiontec web page enables a transparent bridging radio button and bam. No more useless router poo poo from your telus modem.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oh man, eight pages of meltdown. The TSI guys are taking it like champs though and at least sticking around to answer questions.

Despite eight years with Teksavvy I've just submitted my Rogers 250u order, because this is just a bit too much. At this point even my general preference for indie ISPs and absolute loathing of Rogers isn't enough to cover for the fact that TSI have slower speeds at higher prices, data caps, spotty support, and now throttling "network management". Oh and the bullshit where you're forced to spend $100+ buy a modem that they won't re-provision a month later when it's no longer supported.

I was a pretty big advocate of theirs for a while, but man they're looking rough these days.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

priznat posted:

Not sure if folks know about this or if it had been posted before. I had gotten annoyed again by not being able to have transparent bridging in my Telus actiontec router again I did a little googling and found this:

http://npopson.com/archives/2202

Basically a super simple html hack on the actiontec web page enables a transparent bridging radio button and bam. No more useless router poo poo from your telus modem.

Thank you for this.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

Oh man, eight pages of meltdown. The TSI guys are taking it like champs though and at least sticking around to answer questions.

Despite eight years with Teksavvy I've just submitted my Rogers 250u order, because this is just a bit too much. At this point even my general preference for indie ISPs and absolute loathing of Rogers isn't enough to cover for the fact that TSI have slower speeds at higher prices, data caps, spotty support, and now throttling "network management". Oh and the bullshit where you're forced to spend $100+ buy a modem that they won't re-provision a month later when it's no longer supported.

I was a pretty big advocate of theirs for a while, but man they're looking rough these days.

Yeah I'm so God drat close to switching from Teksavvy to Shaw. I mean, I'll still be hosed over with the congestion in my apartment, but I can get twice the speeds for close to the same price with a similar cap.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mederlock posted:

Yeah I'm so God drat close to switching from Teksavvy to Shaw. I mean, I'll still be hosed over with the congestion in my apartment, but I can get twice the speeds for close to the same price with a similar cap.

Yeah, I've decided whatever ideological reason I had for using Teksavvy is finally outweighed by how terrible a value proposition the service is.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

infernal machines posted:

I'm in the exact same boat. Currently on Teksavvy's grandfathered 150/15 package for $98 (w/tax) with Zap the Cap to make it unlimited. Since I'm running a SB6141 I wouldn't be able to switch to their 100/10 package without a new modem ($205) and I'd be paying $8 more a month for SLOWER service with some QoS going on.

And like you said, I'd sooner pay Rogers the extra $8 for a 250/20 connection with better support (if ever needed), no caps (in my case not having ZtC to slow my connection every night would be nice), and not having to buy another modem (from what I've seen there's no BYoD to get a discount, might as well rent one).

poo poo situation all around but I'm not about to subject myself to a lesser service for higher prices. That's why I originally left Rogers in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Look at all you sheep. Bitching and moaning about the company. When, like normal, you need to be complaining to the government / CRTC. You act like TSI has any control over the rates they are paying to the incumbents. They don't.

Also you're loving joking yourselves if you think that Shaw Telus Bell Rogers doesn't do "traffic management" things during primetime hours.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 29, 2015