Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
No. I refuse. I'm in my happy place. It is a place where things go reasonably well for once and we racked three kills this turn and nicely wrap up everything now.

You cannot touch me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Everything will be fine. The Battlemaster is mostly intact and will wrestle the remaining enemy units to DEATH!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Anyone willing to bet that that Brutus will die of structure destruction rather than get its crew roasted?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
We only need two other kills beside that Brutus to instruct them properly. This is still doable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, if you guys pull this out after the terrible luck this mission it'll be a truly heroic victory, and you still might do it!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Right. The Battlemaster should probably move two hexes forward to get within minimum range of that gauss and try to finally breach the Huron.

Also, a question about firing arcs. If I run to 1033, I should be within the Huron's left arc (I think? Can someone confirm?) even if it torso twists. Since the gauss is in its right arm, it should not be able to target me with that gauss, correct? I was thinking about running there and unloading on the rear of the Wolverine (even though I'll need 9+ to hit with the gauss and 11+ with everything else so fat chance of any of that happening).

Alternatively I could just stand still and try to finally off that Brutus. That plan is at least somewhat likely to work, but it would mean that I'll most certainly get wrecked. Not that I'd survive long with an open CT after tanking all of those shots anyway.

So, I suppose I'll get to choose either finally realizing a plan to some degree, or living another turn or two to see more of them fail. I'm partial towards destroying the tank myself. If I succeed, and the infernos finally kill the other Brutus, and if the battlemaster manages to hit the Huron anywhere that isn't the legs or the right arm or even if it succeeds on a kick, we'll win the mission.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I feel like I've posted this after like, the last three updates in a row, but Holy poo poo.

Enemy units hitting with 10s, 11s, and 12s, players missing kicks on 5 and 7. (With a snake eyes no less!)

And now the two remaining easy targets have +3 move mods.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

- Fires Medium Laser at ER PPC at Snake (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 3 target movement = 12): rolled 12, hit Left Leg (0/16 armor, 8/11 structure remaining)! TAC!

End Phase
Snake
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Leg! No critical hit sustained!

This may be academic because the Snake is going to withdraw anyway, but there should be a second crit roll on the leg for breaching the internal structure.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

As a curiosity, how likely are those infernos to kill that Brutus? Would them killing it be a fluke, or is that brave tank defying the odds already?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SIGSEGV posted:

Anyone willing to bet that that Brutus will die of structure destruction rather than get its crew roasted?

You can't score a 'crew killed' from the front so the only way those Infernos will kill it is if they roll a 10 or so on a turret crit (because there's nothing else to crit, that'll cascade down to a 'turret blown off').

I'll probably just count it out if it wracks up enough Crew Stunned results.

Carbolic posted:

This may be academic because the Snake is going to withdraw anyway, but there should be a second crit roll on the leg for breaching the internal structure.

I have always, for the sake of making Crits a little less painful on players, only ever counted the one if the TAC breaches armor.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
PTN, I should be back at 0 heat; the mech sheet needs to be updated.

Thread, despite the "I'm gonna punch the hell outta youse guys" suggestion in the narration, I plan to turn, move to 1632, turn again and end up in 1334. Then I unload all my weapons into the rear of the Wolverine (not great to-hits, but it won't take much to breach) and kick the Huron Warrior. Next turn I either cool off or it won't matter.

Theantero, I'd say fire on the Huron Warrior. Even your SRMs can potentially punch through his armor and force him to withdraw. Then I can remonstrate with the far Brutus.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Narsham posted:

PTN, I should be back at 0 heat; the mech sheet needs to be updated.

Thread, despite the "I'm gonna punch the hell outta youse guys" suggestion in the narration, I plan to turn, move to 1632, turn again and end up in 1334. Then I unload all my weapons into the rear of the Wolverine (not great to-hits, but it won't take much to breach) and kick the Huron Warrior. Next turn I either cool off or it won't matter.

Theantero, I'd say fire on the Huron Warrior. Even your SRMs can potentially punch through his armor and force him to withdraw. Then I can remonstrate with the far Brutus.

You won't be able to kick the Huron Warrior from 1334 (Your kick arc would be 1233, 1234, and 1335), but you could punch with your one arm that is missing it's ERPPC. Or you could go to 1433 instead.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Narsham posted:

I suppose that is reasonable. The Huron is 4 hexes away from 1033 too, so I'll be hitting with my lasers on 9+ as well.

Just to be certain, can I run down a 2 level height difference, or can that only be done by walking?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think a two level height change is possible without using jumpjets, but three or more has to be jumped. Walking or running doesn't make a difference.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Gwaihir posted:

Or you could go to 1433 instead.
I do not think 1433 will let him shoot the rear of the wolverine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I'm very iffy on arcs like that. My general rule of thumb thanks to last mission I think is if the line from hex to hex enters through the rear facing of the target hex, then that's a back shot? But 1433 would make the line a 50/50, so I'm guessing it would go to favor the defender.

I would probably take a "needs 7" to take the Huron Warrior out of the fight vs the "Needs a lot more" chance to do it to the Wolverine.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't score a 'crew killed' from the front so the only way those Infernos will kill it is if they roll a 10 or so on a turret crit (because there's nothing else to crit, that'll cascade down to a 'turret blown off').

I'll probably just count it out if it wracks up enough Crew Stunned results.

It's still amazingly long lived for the position it is in. Kressly Stoneskin 40X armor for MVP.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The plan to run to 1334 and then punch with the broken PPC arm is a solid enough plan too, since the punch deals 9 damage and will penetrate any location. The only downside is that it will hit on a 9+ instead of a 7+ like the kick would.

So I suppose Narsham will have to choose between better melee or firing at the Wolverine's butt.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, PTN's dice really hate ComStar this mission. The Snake has been forced to withdraw, but the Legacy took an engine crit from the Demolisher, and the Viking took a punch to the head which knocked out the pilot for now... Really, you guys always seem to be getting the short end of the stick here every turn. Missed kicks too, those really could've been quite decisive if they connected.

Still, with the Snake withdrawal, you've completed the second part of your Primary Objectives. If you guys can sweep the remaining dudes in your base, you'd just need one more kill or withdrawal to Teach them the Word, and that seemingly permastunned Brutus would make a good example once your base is clear. That pristine Wolverine is still going to be annoying as gently caress to deal with, though.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 29, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

GhostStalker posted:

That pristine Wolverine is still going to be annoying as gently caress to deal with, though.

Bane of my megamek life, those bastards. Hard to kill, annoyingly effective, and it always seemed like their exploding bits led a charmed existence.

Kill it, GoonLevelII.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is a heroic but doomed last stand against PTN's dice.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That Wolverine is going to stand supreme atop three Comstar corpses, count on it!

And if it weren't for the breaches = retreat rule the Capellans would've completely swamped Comstar by now. It's probably a tradeoff between more machines badly damaged yet functional and fewer machines straight up dead, which so long as the Capellans have the means to repair and rearm functional mechs is the better deal.

I think as is the Capellan commander should come out of this as a satisfactory performer.

garland336
Feb 26, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This is a heroic but doomed last stand against PTN's dice.

There is always the rare but improbable possibility that his dice will be confused, like the guy who tried to jump over the wall, or the flea in the last mission , and inadvertently obliterate one of his own mechs. It does occasionally happen and sometimes it's worth just going balls deep just to find out.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Having spent a (very long) while catching up on this thread from start to finish, I think I'd like to sign up to shot robit (and probably die gloriously/badly).

I've got PM abilities and can send my email address if needed?
Admittedly I'll probably waiting, like, a year, but the events in this thread keep delivering, so I'm fine to wait.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

garland336 posted:

There is always the rare but improbable possibility that his dice will be confused, like the guy who tried to jump over the wall, or the flea in the last mission , and inadvertently obliterate one of his own mechs. It does occasionally happen and sometimes it's worth just going balls deep just to find out.

The clear thing to do is use the previous cursed set of dice to roll for the players, and keep using this absolutely vicious replacement set for the attackers. Make it a nasty-off, and see which set reigns supreme.

Lostech dice SHOULD be in comstar's inventory, after all.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mcjomar posted:

Having spent a (very long) while catching up on this thread from start to finish, I think I'd like to sign up to shot robit (and probably die gloriously/badly).

I've got PM abilities and can send my email address if needed?
Admittedly I'll probably waiting, like, a year, but the events in this thread keep delivering, so I'm fine to wait.

lol you think the wait is only a year

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

The plan to run to 1334 and then punch with the broken PPC arm is a solid enough plan too, since the punch deals 9 damage and will penetrate any location. The only downside is that it will hit on a 9+ instead of a 7+ like the kick would.

So I suppose Narsham will have to choose between better melee or firing at the Wolverine's butt.

I'll punch with the broken arm (if it's still there) and shoot the Wolverine. A semi-lucky shot will force it to withdraw and I think that's a high priority right now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The way the dice have been treating you guys, I would try and avoid splitting fire as much as possible. No one has great shots this turn because of the +3 move mods on both enemies, and whittling the numbers down in the most reliable way possible is your key to pulling this thing out.

Focus that Huron Warrior down and take the last headchopper inside the walls off the field.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Gwaihir posted:

Realtalk: I took about two years to go from signing up to in a cockpit, and that was facilitated by a couple of company-sized missions, which I'm not sure is something PTN will be willing to inflict on himself regularly.

It was absolutely worth the wait, but expect something like that for your own turnaround time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gwaihir posted:

The list HAS gotten smaller... until you realize that the five years of pilots who have gone are not listed.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Defiance Industries posted:

The list HAS gotten smaller... until you realize that the five years of pilots who have gone are not listed.

Those who had their turn, will not be named. He does it to keep the post viewable.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Realtalk: I took about two years to go from signing up to in a cockpit, and that was facilitated by a couple of company-sized missions, which I'm not sure is something PTN will be willing to inflict on himself regularly.

It was absolutely worth the wait, but expect something like that for your own turnaround time.

To be fair, the rate of new sign ups has leveled off. So theoretically there'd be a shorter relative wait.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

Heh, like I said I'm fine with that. Following this thread and the event of goonlance (or goonstar or gooncompany, or whatever flavour it is at any given moment) is worth it in and of itself (I still can't choose between engine joe or elbow-drop po), not to mention the art/artists to come out of this thread, and so on.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

mcjomar posted:

Heh, like I said I'm fine with that. Following this thread and the event of goonlance (or goonstar or gooncompany, or whatever flavour it is at any given moment) is worth it in and of itself (I still can't choose between engine joe or elbow-drop po), not to mention the art/artists to come out of this thread, and so on.

Being Elbow Drop Po I of course support my own awesomeness.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Voyager I posted:

I signed up on 9-Oct-2015, and my turn will be coming up next mission. So ~2 years is still kind of accurate, probably.

Speaking of which, what's the rules on getting back on the list after you have a turn?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Devorum posted:

Speaking of which, what's the rules on getting back on the list after you have a turn?
You stay on the list, and when it reaches the end it rolls back over to the beginning again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ardlen posted:

You stay on the list, and when it reaches the end it rolls back over to the beginning again.

Once it loops over we have a fairly good idea of how long it'll take. I know that it'll take about ten months for my turn to come up, for instance, because we've already gone through that part once. However, I'm not sanguine about getting to that point any time soon.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Those who had their turn, will not be named. He does it to keep the post viewable.

Added incentive to strive for MVP status.

crabs 4 lyfe

e. god drat, the elemental massacre was 4 and a half years ago.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr. Despair posted:

Added incentive to strive for MVP status.

We need an MVP Reunion Mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I've been reading along for awhile as well and have some old battletech experience under my belt. Always loved some Axeman jumpjetting behind to cleave the mech in half and don't mind waiting till the cows come home so sign me up as well.

• Locked thread