Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Palhares needs to be on the end of a lifetime ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
They went into recess to find a better camera angle for the end of that fight.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Which would result in more people getting maimed, allowing Palhares to continue fighting in MMA, or banning him for life and just letting him out into the world to try to figure out how to live normally

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Palhares stands to become the first man in legal history to defend himself and successfully appeal on the basis that his representation was incompetent.

manyak posted:

Which would result in more people getting maimed, allowing Palhares to continue fighting in MMA, or banning him for life and just letting him out into the world to try to figure out how to live normally

Of Mice and Men II: Falling Down

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Uh, the agent for Palhares asked that John McCarthy, who happens to be available for other reasons, testify in an attempt to prove that Mazzagatti was out of position. Big John's testimony is apparently not going well for Palhares at all.

The fact that this is not available on a stream is a tragedy.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 29, 2015

outy
Aug 27, 2004

I'm so conflicted. Palhares should definitely be forever banned. But at the same time, watching him fight is a proper adrenaline rush. It's like watching those early Brazilian vale tudo fights they held in the hotel with the fancy silver ceiling. You're constantly on edge waiting for someone to get their eye poked clean out.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
:lol:

quote:

@jeremybotter 12 minutes ago

So now we’ll get Big John as a surprise expert witness. The NSAC is a gift that keeps on giving.

@jeremybotter 10 minutes ago

Yeah, there’s literally no way Palhares could’ve thought that Shields was “kneeing him on the back.” No chance. Tap was on the rear end.

@jeremybotter 10 minutes ago

Davis: “The fight should only be stopped when the referee intervenes, right?” McCarthy: “No.”

@jeremybotter 5 minutes ago

McCarthy breaking down refereeing mechanics while watching the replay. This is great.

@jeremybotter 3 minutes ago

McCarthy breaking down exactly why this was unsportsmanlike conduct, which is not why Davis called him to be an expert witness.

@jeremybotter 4 minutes ago

McCarthy says Rousimar is a nice person but there is a disconnect somewhere concerning fight stoppag

@jeremybotter 2 minutes ago

McCarthy says there is a disregard for the safety of his opponents.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Except for that whole Nick Diaz thing.

Diaz's lawyer embarrassing the NSAC is literally why they threw the book at him (and then some).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Did Palhares call Big John as an expert witness only to have him testify against him?!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
"You know who's going to be sympathetic to my client, the limb-maiming mongoloid, and prone to disagreeing with referees? John McCarthy!" - a moron

Le Saboteur posted:

Did Palhares call Big John as an expert witness only to have him testify against him?!
yes

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Lawyer from the NV AG called Palhares "dangerous" and asked the NSAC to send a strong message.

edit: to the surprise of no one, Lundvall wants to hammer him

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 29, 2015

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It's a crime that this isn't being streamed.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

outy posted:

I'm so conflicted. Palhares should definitely be forever banned. But at the same time, watching him fight is a proper adrenaline rush. It's like watching those early Brazilian vale tudo fights they held in the hotel with the fancy silver ceiling. You're constantly on edge waiting for someone to get their eye poked clean out.

Yeah every time he does it I yell at my tv for them to ban him. Then again since dropping to WW he's been a beast who can only be stopped by a more muscular WW, so basically Lombard. Like this guy could realistically be the UFC champ but he's too stupid to play by the rules.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
looks like it might not be life. Lundvall is suggesting 2 or 3 years, mostly because they haven't suspended him before.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tesilential posted:

Diaz's lawyer embarrassing the NSAC is literally why they threw the book at him (and then some).

Which will be promptly overturned because he had proper representation.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Lundvall is saying they cannot issue the maximum punishment because it's never been done before or some poo poo and is talking in the range of a 2 or 3-year suspension. Darnell is leaning more toward the lower punishment.

I do not like Nick Diaz at all but this is baffling in that or any context.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

send him to jungle fights where he can wrench legs out of sockets without anyone caring

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
People are going to freak about weed = 5 years, this dude 2 or 3, but I honestly think they are adjusting to a post-nick-diaz-backlash world. If they had a do-over they wouldn't give Nick 5 years today.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

People are going to freak about weed = 5 years, this dude 2 or 3, but I honestly think they are adjusting to a post-nick-diaz-backlash world. If they had a do-over they wouldn't give Nick 5 years today.

So you're saying Diaz fighting his unjust suspension was actually worse for the sport because now the commission is too scared to mete appropriately harsh punishment to terrible criminals. A travesty.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Bit late on flagchat but since this is the Internet and all I went and looked it up and it turns out Canada has rules also. They specifically say the flag may ble flown by night.

Maybe because of the northern latitude? Here in Norway we have different times for the summer and winter and depending on whether or not you're in the northern part of the country. If you want to keep something on your flagpole all the time you're supposed to use a pennant instead.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Northjayhawk posted:

But I don't think that solves things cause Palahres is the first guy who arguably should get a 5+ year ban, going lighter on him is just another gently caress up. They should at least be consistent with either harsh penalties or light ones.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
2 years, $40,000 fine, and reimbursement of NV AG fees.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
NSAC is now discussing new anti-doping rules. I didn't read the agenda, so I wasn't expecting they'd revisit this yet again.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Northjayhawk posted:

2 years, $40,000 fine, and reimbursement of NV AG fees.

What a joke.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
gently caress Paul Harris, that's some bullshit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The guy's going to cripple someone, the NSAC are nigh on criminally negligent in every way.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
In fairness Paul Harris never smoked legal weed that a doctor gave him so this seems pretty reasonable to me.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Has there ever been an explanation as to why the guy is so dangerous and doesn't release submissions? I mean, he probably isn't the brightest tool in the shed but I once heard a story that the guy can only train with his brother, all other sparring partners eventually leave with popped ankles and they once hired a sport therapist for him and the guy quit, explaining that Palhares is simply untreatable.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
He's literally retarded. This post is not a joke.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
huh, OK

quote:

@jeremybotter 10m10 minutes ago

Anthony Marnell is the new NSAC chairman effective immediately.

Didn't see anything on twitter on the last agenda item, so I assume nothing noteworthy happened with that.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

He's literally retarded. This post is not a joke.

yeah

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Think Nick Newell but in the head

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

-Atom- posted:

Think Nick Newell but in the head

Newell didn't lose his arm because he was so poor he had to work on a pig farm at the age of 6 and also eat the pig slop.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
On the one hand Palhares deserves if not a lifetime ban then at least a Diaz length one, on the other hand that basically means he's going to fight in places with even shittier referees. Don't put that guy in a ring with the ever popular "some Brazilian guy wearing jeans" or a dumbass like Yuji Shimada unless you're going to give them a loving shotgun.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Don't put that guy in a ring with the ever popular "some Brazilian guy wearing jeans" or a dumbass like Yuji Shimada unless you're going to give them a loving shotgun.

Someone needs to tell him about the habbits

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did Aguilar step down or is he still on the commission, just not the chair?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
my boy Marnell holdin down the NSAC owns

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

HEllo, you've reached the offices of Dan Henderson

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

HEllo, you've reached the offices of Dan Henderson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

@jeremybotter 1 minute ago

Mazzagatti spent extra time in the locker room verbally and physically explaining the rules to Palhares.

Lmao so they translated AND pantomimed out "DO NOT HOLD SUB TOO LONG" and he's still going in like "i didn't understand him"

• Locked thread