Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Today I learned that my parents who make like 50k a yr combined and have zero savings and horrible credit bought a brand new CRV. 28k car that they can't afford, and they're going to end up paying 36k for it. Makes me sad and kind of guilty that I wasn't around to talk them out of their horribad decision.

GWM:
I called my dad last night and asked a bunch of nosy questions and discovered the following:

-He's making roughly the same as a federal GS-15 (135k+)
-He's been taking his bonuses from work and saving them in his retirement fund
-They bought their small, reasonable 1-level house 4 miles from his work 5 years ago and have a 30-yr fixed mortgage that they refi'd to get a lower interest rate. Then they took the "savings" and have been paying that in as extra every month on the mortgage. Expected to be paid off in 6-7 years from today, with the option to drop the amount of payment in an emergency.
-He has a pension from an employer 20 years ago. The company is still in business. He said "the amount depends on how old I am when I retire"
-They have 400k+ in retirement accounts, he's trying to get these up to 750k - 1m, though he doesn't think it'll happen

I was delighted to hear that my parents will almost certainly not require financial assistance upon retirement. He has good health insurance and now that I think of it, his current company has a pension plan as well. So yeah, they should be pretty set. They have two newer cars (though I think one is paid off) and they're the type to run them till they die.

I feel very fortunate to have such responsible parents (who've also had reasonable luck in jobs and medical stuff as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Today I learned that my parents who make like 50k a yr combined and have zero savings and horrible credit bought a brand new CRV. 28k car that they can't afford, and they're going to end up paying 36k for it. Makes me sad and kind of guilty that I wasn't around to talk them out of their horribad decision.

Congratulations, my friend, you're going to get to learn how to pay for a Boomer retirement on top of living your own life.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Congratulations, my friend, you're going to get to learn how to pay for a Boomer retirement on top of living your own life.

I think you missed the part where a good portion of that is a pension. His dad's already retired. It's not a great situation, but better than a lot, sadly.

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

Uncle Enzo posted:

GWM:
I called my dad last night and asked a bunch of nosy questions and discovered the following:

-They bought their small, reasonable 1-level house 4 miles from his work 5 years ago and have a 30-yr fixed mortgage that they refi'd to get a lower interest rate. Then they took the "savings" and have been paying that in as extra every month on the mortgage. Expected to be paid off in 6-7 years from today, with the option to drop the amount of payment in an emergency.
-He has a pension from an employer 20 years ago. The company is still in business. He said "the amount depends on how old I am when I retire"
-They have 400k+ in retirement accounts, he's trying to get these up to 750k - 1m, though he doesn't think it'll happen

I was delighted to hear that my parents will almost certainly not require financial assistance upon retirement. He has good health insurance and now that I think of it, his current company has a pension plan as well. So yeah, they should be pretty set. They have two newer cars (though I think one is paid off) and they're the type to run them till they die.

I feel very fortunate to have such responsible parents (who've also had reasonable luck in jobs and medical stuff as well).

Thanks

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Uncle Enzo posted:

GWM:

Cool story, should probably be in the GWM thread.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

God drat, can we please ban self-posts/self-humblebrags. Nobody gives a gently caress. Post train wrecks.

Art Student posted:

I'm just gonna put it out there, I have $186,207.12 in unsubsidized student loans at a fixed interest rate of 8%
The minimum payment is $2,395.21 each month which my parents have been very generously barely been scraping by the pay but they're 59 & 58 respectively and on the verge of retiring they can't finically afford to keep paying this loan that they realistically should have never taken out for me (parents CRUSH YOUR CHILDREN'S DREAMS TELL THEM NO WE CANT AFFORD THIS). I recently paid off the student loans that were directly in my name after 2 years and now I'm going to contribute to paying off that mountain.
Right now my budget looks like this
Income $3960 per month (this is after taxes and assuming I don't work over time which I do at least 2 times a month)
Rent $899
Phone $142 (it will be going down to $60 come Nov)
Internet $20
Electric $30
Hulu $8
Saving $600
Adobe CC $54 (I need this for work which makes me wonder if I can write it off on my taxes?)
Transportation $116
That if my math is right means I have $2200~ left at the end of the month with some wobble room for food (which I left out because month to month what I spend on food widely varies) which just barely covers the minimum payment on the loans which based on my math means it would take me 9 years to pay them off and I would pay $74,521.93 in interest in that time which is crazy! Right now theres a balance of $488.13 in owed interest that I've set a payment for friday to pay off on top of the already scheduled required payment.
So I have two questions is there any feasible way for me to get a loan of equal value at a lower interest rate? And is there any other suggestion about what I could be doing to proactively tackle this loan?
I guess I should add too every 6 months or so I get a raise, or a pay upgrade I don't know how to properly explain, I work freelance and every new job I take is a little more complex at a higher skill set so I usually negotiate a higher salary. In the last year I've gotten a $14/hr pay increase and thats on trend to continue so its foreseeable that I could pay more at a future point.

quote:

Ha no. I'm not even going to mention what my fancy degree is in cause everyone will tell me how stupid it was to get.
Thanks.

quote:

Haha what did you spend that much money on then!?

quote:

Art school man, art loving school.
DO NOT FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS.

My favorite thing about this is half way through his budget I'm like "Oh, you're doing OK, 2K a month left over is workabl- OH YEAH YOUR PAYMENT"

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

That's bad, but it's not horrifically bad. That person is well-employed (doesn't ~$4000 in monthly take-home pay mean a salary around $65-70k?) and is still managing to sock away reasonable savings. A 9 year pay-off schedule for nearly $200k in debt isn't that bad. Not to say it wasn't a stupid decision in the first place, but it's nice to see that as long as they stay employed they've got a reasonable path out.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Uncle Enzo posted:

GWM:

No one cares

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

"Your choice"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Uncle Enzo posted:

GWM:

My dad's retirement savings can beat up your dad's retirement savings :colbert:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hey, that's my parents too! Except it was a Rav4

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

LLCoolJD posted:

"Your choice"

God drat, that's one of the most egregious rent-to-own examples I've seen. I mean, I've known they're all bad but seeing it just spelled out like that, yikes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

How does that place justify selling it to you for over $900 if you want to just buy it straight up? I refuse to believe this place is real.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

How does that place justify selling it to you for over $900 if you want to just buy it straight up? I refuse to believe this place is real.

The profit to selling to one person who doesn't know any better (at the type of place that attracts this customer) is higher than selling at MSRP to 2 dozen people?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The best part (for them,) is that most customers will pay for 1/3 to 1/2 the months, then stop paying, os they repo it and get to start the cycle again with the same drat unit.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nail Rat posted:

I presume when the person stops payment they immediately put him on the hook for the "purchase" price and send him to collections for $989 while they try to repossess his consumer electronics.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If purchase price was $300 how could they charge $100 a month for 12 months?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

LLCoolJD posted:

"Your choice"
EVERYDAY LOW PRICE: $989 :barf:

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Not a Children posted:

That's bad, but it's not horrifically bad. That person is well-employed (doesn't ~$4000 in monthly take-home pay mean a salary around $65-70k?) and is still managing to sock away reasonable savings. A 9 year pay-off schedule for nearly $200k in debt isn't that bad. Not to say it wasn't a stupid decision in the first place, but it's nice to see that as long as they stay employed they've got a reasonable path out.

Yeah, it should be about 70k. But if they're freelance I doubt taxes are being taken out of the paycheck so hopefully they've factored that in. Or that's what the savings budget is for.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

r0ck0 posted:

If purchase price was $300 how could they charge $100 a month for 12 months?

The flyer that came to my house yesterday was $25/week for a year!! How manageable!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

EVERYDAY LOW PRICE: $989 :barf:

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Or save the same money, buy it from a place that isn't trying to shaft you and own it in 5 months.

I'm pretty sure rent to own is a large part of the reason most economies in the west are doing badly. In New Zealand 28% of the economy is finance and banks are making good money off of 19% personal loans, credit cards, etc. I'm sure finance for bills and consumer purchases must be a significant amount as well.

Although Fiji has the most abusive rent to own schemes. You don't need to read the whole report just items 4, 5 and 7. They make $60m per year on $35m worth of goods and manage $57m in credit earning them $25m per year. Along with charging interest on the principal already repaid even though that is illegal.
http://consumersfiji.org/upload/Publications/CCF%20HP%20report%20lt%2004%20(3).pdf

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Devian666 posted:

I'm pretty sure rent to own is a large part of the reason most economies in the west are doing badly.

It's not like everyone goes to these places. They're like lottery tickets: they just target the small segment of the population that's cripplingly innumerate.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mr Newsman posted:

The flyer that came to my house yesterday was $25/week for a year!! How manageable!

Can you actually just rent it for a week or two? Like, I don't want to own a PS4 but maybe I want to play the newest Sony exclusive. Can I just get it for the week, rent that game elsewhere and return the PS4 to Aaron's once I've beaten it? That would seem to be a GWM decision (though I am sure they do their best to convince you not to do that). I'm sure I've heard of people doing that with big TVs for the Super Bowl, but maybe they ruining their credit somehow?

Also, Rent to Own is good with money if you find yourself inside the plot of the book/movie Brewster's Millions.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Makes me sad that a lot of kids are probably getting PS4s for Christmas that were purchased at Aaron's and they'll be repossessed by like February or something.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Makes me sad that a lot of kids are probably getting PS4s for Christmas that were purchased at Aaron's and they'll be repossessed by like February or something.

and now the thread depressed me

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How are they gonna repossess something you keep in your house?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

well they don't really rent much of anything you don't keep in your house.

they literally just harass you until you give it up.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Interesting you should ask... http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/stories-from-renttoown/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I wonder what you need to do in order to rent to own something. A fake ID? I guess you probably need a social security number. Let's steal from rent-to-own places and give away the products as a goon civil disobedience project.

Lol yeah, I've read that, their solution seems to be "breaking and entering". Seems easy to circumvent if you aren't buying furniture though - just don't give them your address.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

A $90k poetry degree is my new go-to argument against free college educations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Comrade Flynn posted:

You can't put a price on dreams.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In our post-scarcity, globalized society, we need to create new challenges for ourselves. Poetry majors are the real pioneers now

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter5/section18.2-118/

Here in Viginia it can be brought as a criminal case if certain requirements are satisfied. Not really repossession, but it gives the delinquent renter incentive to pay up or return the property.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Not a Children posted:

No, living hand to mouth for 9 years while making minimum payments on your student loans of >50% of your take home pay, while earning significantly above the median household income of the United States as an educated professional, is loving horrible. There's no truer meaning of debt slavery other than literal indentured servitude. He should refinance his loans though, he could almost certainly get a rate of less than 5% unless his credit sucks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Comrade Flynn posted:

My poetry-PhD-having friend is still tending bar years after finishing his school, but at least he didn't pay for it? :shobon:

He probably has loans from undergrad though. And now he wants to go back to school for his teaching credential. :bang:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have an art degree. I work in IT and sell my paintings and prints on the side.

Very bad with money.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah, it's ridiculous, but no one going to rent a center is going to buy a ps4 straight up at that price. I bet people pay like half of it off and lump sum the rest over MSRP sometimes though. I have a friend who actually makes decent money who screwed around with that place for the convenience factor after he moved. He ended up paying like double the MSRP for a coffee and some end tables. He also had a PS3, but he returned it because he owed well over MSRP when he was thinking about lump summing it. Probably did for the tables too, it was just a lower amount so it wasn't as obvious.

The way I see it, the only non-predatory transactions at those places are when a guy rents an extra couch and tv for a super bowl party etc. That's probably only like 5%-10% of their business.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Comrade Flynn posted:

Doing a bit of not really any research, in my Glorious People's Kingdom of Socialist Denmark, you can't actually do a poetry degree, you can do one in litterature science, but not poetry. Also, Art's Degrees are only from the Royal Arts Academy, and that one's really loving hard to get into.

90k US$ Poetry Degrees are actually the argument against paid-college educations, as they seem to be aimed towards attracting morons into loaning themselves into serfdom.

Also, that Litterature Science thing? I ran into a lady with a Masters in that, while working the phones doing surveys, she lost her job during the Crisis, as a Communications something at a company, now all her degree could get her, was doing phone surveys.

And for a story about bad with money, just to get back on track:

My sister got a credit-card when she turned eighteen many years ago, just like I did, my parents where away to visit my dad's family in Scotland, and while they where gone, she managed to spend 30.000 DKK , around 4500 US$, in that one week, on drinks and whatever going out partying. She bought rounds for her "friends", she has never been able to say no to them, and I mean "friends" in that "Friends while the good times last" and nothing else.

Great start to your adult life kid, mind you, this was before the Crisis, so the bank didn't even blink or stop her from doing this. Good times.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Spiffness posted:

My favorite thing about this is half way through his budget I'm like "Oh, you're doing OK, 2K a month left over is workabl- OH YEAH YOUR PAYMENT"

My favorite thing is right off the bat his math is actually wrong, because it works out to $2091, which is not ~$2200. Why are you budgeting for Hulu at $8 if you're going to round up >$100 for no apparent reason?

Second, oh yeah, I didn't budget for food.

So sure, when you don't add up the expenses correctly and you also don't account for food, you can arrive at a number that is still close, but not actually enough, for paying off your student loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Haha this. Humblebrag ( nice term for this!) is not for this thread.

More BWM stories please!

• Locked thread