Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sair
May 11, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm having trouble with one of the Auric Basin story steps and I'm hoping someone's going to tell me I'm going about it the wrong way because it's getting frustrating:

I'm up to the part where you're trying to catch up with your party again after putting the egg where it goes (really loved the trials compared to the s2 ones, they were challenging without being irritating) and I'm up to the disc that's been stolen up into a tree, according to a crazy norn. It seems like the way to get up to it involves running along the roof of a building, turning around and heading towards an updraft, catching that updraft and then catching another updraft at the top of it in order to get up high enough. I'm just having a lot of trouble catching the second updraft, I can't swing my camera around fast enough accurately enough to fly into it, by the time I've got my bearings I've already lost way too much altitude. Is there another way to get up there that I'm just not seeing? Should I go further away and find a way up into a higher section of map in general and then glide down?

Just riding the updrafts is how I did it. Try getting pointed in the right direction while you're still riding it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
Still unable to log-in. Anytime I try to boot up a character the zone loading screen goes on then eventually brings up the Network Error popup and boots me back to the launcher. What the gently caress.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, the level 1 masteries are extremely quick/easy to get, not a big deal.

I'd have to have time to play, it kinda is a big deal :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

orcane posted:

I'd have to have time to play, it kinda is a big deal :(

Come on, you know what a casual baby I am with little playtime during the week at least, getting level 1 in a mastery takes like 20-30 minutes.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Still unable to log-in. Anytime I try to boot up a character the zone loading screen goes on then eventually brings up the Network Error popup and boots me back to the launcher. What the gently caress.

Anyone still having this issue try repairing your client, worked for me:
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the first mastery stuff in each line tends to be really important for poo poo like getting around. it's genuinely easy to level those, and if someone somehow don't have time to get even those then i'm curious as to how they managed to do anything at all in the base game.

notable exceptions being nuhoch wallows and updraft usage which are second in their respective lines, but even those don't take much effort and they aren't as important as bounce shrooms or exalted reading.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Nuhoch wallows, updraft, and bounce shrooms are amazing. I can understand not having time to play, but of you're going after other stuff first you're crazy.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Xun posted:

Isn't the cave gated behind exalted mastery 1?

It is, but just one invisible wall that I'll be portaling everyone past if they don't have exalted marks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I guess Lost Precipice is gated in the same way, you need to glide (which is a level 1 mastery) to get to the entrance don't you? Until you get one person there who can be use for teleport to friend, etc

I used teleport to friend since I joined in with Cletus before I even entered the new zones, heh

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I don't supposed you happen to have another one of these packs laying around? I do so enjoy pretty pretty princessing.

Also, currently downloading all the HoT patches at a coffee shop, 50,000 files remaining, AMA.
Of course, although I'll need your character name or account name to be able to send it.

Also as a heads up I have 30 dyes in the pack and I'll get mail suppressed trying to send them out so they won't all arrive together.

The dyes are below, I think it's about 15-20g worth and should cover the basic gamut of all colours:
code:

Vibrant:
Envy
Spite
Forgiveness
Sincerity
Mischief
Pride
Illumination
Rust
Heirloom
Regal
Evergreen

Natural Leather:
Taupe
Pumpkin Pie
Riverbed
Mushroom
Natural
Old Jeans
Warmth
Rawhide
Calfskin

Natural Metallic:
Icing
Steel
Burnished Steel
Graphite
Silver
Oxblood
Mudmetal 
Olive Silk
Pitch
Grape Shade

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I hope to have bouncing mushrooms by tomorrow, but it'd be neat if the event's exp gets me updraft. Despite knowing how bad it was when broken, I really hope it isn't fixed because I want to see what all you had to go through for SFD's hall.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

I hope to have bouncing mushrooms by tomorrow, but it'd be neat if the event's exp gets me updraft. Despite knowing how bad it was when broken, I really hope it isn't fixed because I want to see what all you had to go through for SFD's hall.

Make sure you bring 100+ people, the scaling works perfectly and there are no bugs whatsoever!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Can anyone give me a TLDR version of what GS guild hall event we're doing? Day and time? What are we achieving? What is required/suggested to be done beforehand (waypoints, masteries, etc)?

I'm ignorant of all things, but especially guild halls. I know GS was doing something on Saturday but I was unable to join in at the time. No idea what was or was not done.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

Some accounts got stuck as a result of the bad patch last night, server team's been rolling through as fast as possible getting them unstuck.

Sorry yours hasn't made it yet :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guild Hall stuff can be done with a handful of people, generally a good idea since if you bring the entire guild the scaling just goes batshit.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Tivac please inform the rest of the staff I need some sort of everlasting goat tonic.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

xZAOx posted:

Can anyone give me a TLDR version of what GS guild hall event we're doing? Day and time? What are we achieving? What is required/suggested to be done beforehand (waypoints, masteries, etc)?

I'm ignorant of all things, but especially guild halls. I know GS was doing something on Saturday but I was unable to join in at the time. No idea what was or was not done.

All you have to do is login and read the guild MOTD (press G), but I'll put up a refresher now! We are capturing Gilded Hollow in Auric Basin!

:siren:GOON SQUAD GUILD HALL CAPTURE TIMES:siren:

PDT: Oct 30, 1730 hrs
EDT: Oct 30, 2030 hrs
UTC: Oct 31, 0030 hrs
You will need a waypoint in AURIC BASIN.
Rank 1 Exalted Mastery is recommended!

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Mercurius posted:

Of course, although I'll need your character name or account name to be able to send it.

You're awesome :v:

FriedChickenKnight.2058 should work.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lyer posted:

I have that card and I've had the same loading time. Then again I don't have an SSD, so I'm pretty sure my hd is the limitation. I think some smart goons know ways to speed up loading.

I found turning off name bars cut my load times in half or more, just tried that a couple days ago.

Or maybe one of their twice-daily patches did it? Who knows!
\/

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 29, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

effectual posted:

I found turning off name bars cut my load times in half or more, just tried that a couple days ago.

...is this some kind of side effect or placebo effect or confirmation bias or something or does this actually slow the loading time....

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You probably wouldn't notice it since you have an ssd, but I'm game to try it out tonight. For science!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Do SSDs even affect GW2 loading times? I have all my games on SSDs and GW2 doesn't load as fast as the singleplayer ones do.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It would apparently be even slower on a normal hard drive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yes, SSD's affect GW2's loading times, quite a bit if you're going from an older spinning drive to a new high quality SSD (like an Intel or Samsung EVO). A lot of singleplayer games definitely are more affected by this change than GW2 for sure.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Do SSDs even affect GW2 loading times? I have all my games on SSDs and GW2 doesn't load as fast as the singleplayer ones do.

My god, do they ever

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stop temping me to finally get an SSD. I drop enough money on my silly gaming hobby as it is.

...I'm gonna get an SSD before the year's out, aren't I? Just pretend this :10bux: is on fire. And also there are a lot more of them, and they're also on fire.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

Stop temping me to finally get an SSD. I drop enough money on my silly gaming hobby as it is.

...I'm gonna get an SSD before the year's out, aren't I? Just pretend this :10bux: is on fire. And also there are a lot more of them, and they're also on fire.

It's seriously worth it dude, in every way, it will blow your mind even the first time you boot up Windows with one. Get a Samsung 850 EVO, they seem to be regularly on sale everywhere and are excellent.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Harrow posted:

Seconding getting an SSD. I have one just for my OS, and it makes a huge difference for boot times. There's an SSD megathread in SHSC, but they're going to tell you the same thing Arus is: A Samsung 850 EVO (or 840 EVO) is your best bet.

(I should totally upgrade my SSD...)

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Just beat the story and I felt like some parts were unique to being a Silvari. Are there any differences in the story if you are/aren't Silvari?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Harrow posted:

(It's worth noting that even noted grognard WoodenPotatoes thinks that lowering the cost to max elite specs is a good thing.)

Don't worry he did a 180 about how Anet caved to metric critic ad compared it to holding people hostage. also he want on about how the story was so terrible he lost faith in anet.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LemonAIDS posted:

Just beat the story and I felt like some parts were unique to being a Silvari. Are there any differences in the story if you are/aren't Silvari?

Yes, a lot of the story is different based on your race. Obviously in HoT, it's going to be way different for sylvari compared to everyone else.
It's one of the subtle, cool things in GW2.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Solumin posted:

Yes, a lot of the story is different based on your race. Obviously in HoT, it's going to be way different for sylvari compared to everyone else.
It's one of the subtle, cool things in GW2.

Yeah it's worth noting that Logan sucks no matter what though, even if the human story still tries to make him a bit more sympathetic, he's still a goonlord who would probably let his own mother bleed out on the street if it meant getting 5 more minutes to sniff Queen Jenna's hair.

Human story really is the worst for base game at least.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Cyron posted:

also he want on about how the story was so terrible he lost faith in anet.

Only just now?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Generic Octopus posted:

Only just now?

Yes, after years of caw island, DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE, and a dragon being killed by pressing 1, the story of this xpack made him lost faith. grated from his old lore videos he seem like he wanted the story to end with a major city to blow up. and he may have hinted at calling out devs for ruining the lore. so I suspect he had to high of a expatiations?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's funny, because the story in HoT is actually decent

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cyron posted:

Yes, after years of caw island, DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE, and a dragon being killed by pressing 1, the story of this xpack made him lost faith. grated from his old lore videos he seem like he wanted the story to end with a major city to blow up. and he may have hinted at calling out devs for ruining the lore. so I suspect he had to high of a expatiations?

The story wasn't amazing, but it was immensely better than the poo poo that was S1.

It doesn't help that all missions in S1 are:

Exposition Dialog
Fight Against 10 waves of monsters
Exposition Dialog
Fight Against 20 waves of monsters
Exposition Dialog
Fight Against Boss With 10x more HP that he should have
Exposition Dialog

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

it's worth noting that Logan sucks no matter what though

oh my god you take that back

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Anet, you guys seriously need a better CDN for patches.

Edit: if you're going to insist on continuing to push them out in the middle of primetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Uhhg, Logan. I'm new to the game and have only played a significant amount on my Sylvari necromancer and I haaate Logan. In the HoT story, when I was given the choice of saving Zojja or Logan, I couldn't have selected Zojja faster

• Locked thread