Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a way to go straight to the new tab page from a currently existing tab?

For example, I've got SomethingAwful open in a tab. Currently, if I'm done with SA, and want to go to new tab page, I close SA tab and open a new tab. It would be nice to have just one action to replace current tab with new tab page which has links to my most used sites right on it.

If you don't have a home page you care about, you could set your home page to the new tab page so that pressing the home button just goes to the new tab page directly from your current tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Snow Fire posted:

If you don't have a home page you care about, you could set your home page to the new tab page so that pressing the home button just goes to the new tab page directly from your current tab.

Lol. I completely forgot there was such a thing as a Home button. I've had it disabled for years.

Anyway, that works perfectly, thanks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Highlighting multiple paragraphs got a lot nicer in the latest beta (Windows & Mac, from what I can tell)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a way to go straight to the new tab page from a currently existing tab?

For example, I've got SomethingAwful open in a tab. Currently, if I'm done with SA, and want to go to new tab page, I close SA tab and open a new tab. It would be nice to have just one action to replace current tab with new tab page which has links to my most used sites right on it.

In Settings and under Appearance tick the "Show Home button" box and have it display the "New Tab page".

When you have SomethingAwful open in a tab, click on your Home Button in the toolbar and that takes you to the New Tab page.

efb.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I have a super stupid problem. Chrome is horrendously slow at loading pretty much anything: pages, pictures, movies, downloading files, etc. while firefox is not.

I just did a quick test where I downloaded a file from a site that is about 20MB in size. Chrome was going along at about 80KB/s and would stay steadily at that speed. If I download it in firefox, it's done in less than 2 seconds, so it's not the site or my internet conenction. I have disabled all extensions and I am using Version 46.0.2490.71 m.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

At some point my freezing-when-full-screen-height problem went away and now, for the moment, everything with Chrome is perfect and it is my favorite browser ever. Though it would be nice to get rid of that space-wastin' "print" option in the right click menu and replace it with "Save" that just instantly saves something to a pre-defined folder based on content type with no other user input needed.

Any Goonooglers can take that idea gratis and get several tens of thousands of dollars in bonus and peer-bonuses out of it with no compensation from me.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
Anyone know if an extension that makes videos unblocked on youtube? For some reason about 10 videos that work on my Iphone are now blocked in Chrome on Youtube when I wanna listen to music.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any kind of addon on the planet that can cause any appearance of a single word on any website to like, appear as red, blinking text?

Paypal is really sneaky about trying to change my payment method from my credit card back to my bank account, so I want the webpage to basically freak out if the bank is showing in that field.

Edit: I figured it out, I found a Chrome extension called "Word Replacer II", and I had it replace the name of my bank with the word "gently caress gently caress gently caress" so many times that I can't even hit the purchase button on eBay until I click "Change Payment Method" and set it to my credit card.

A++ would Chrome again.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 26, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I also recommend cloud2butt, its the best chrome extension.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Anyone know why im getting poo poo connection speed for youtube videos?

Longer videos get this kinda speed while shorter jump up to like 30000kbps, tried disabling all extensions and all that jazz

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Depths posted:

Anyone know why im getting poo poo connection speed for youtube videos?

Longer videos get this kinda speed while shorter jump up to like 30000kbps, tried disabling all extensions and all that jazz

Streaming/buffering issues presenting in this manner are usually a "your ISP is user-hostile" problem. They could be congestion or LAN contention (other devices or even the same device trying to do other stuff at the same time) or something, but in that case it would show you getting standard-def-scale or irregular data rates on HD video, not basically nothing.

Could be edge caching, or DNS, or direct streaming-throttling, but given how much money most ISPs have wheedled out of their local governments (notably but nowhere near exclusively a North American problem) in exchange for doing apparently sweet gently caress-all, they don't have any good-faith excuses for not providing reliable YouTube.

Depending on your ISP and local competitors (if any) you might be able to do something about it. Note also that some ISPs can be extremely location-dependent when it comes to how well they manage to do ... well, anything. This is a request for elaboration.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 26, 2015

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Thanks for the answer, i should mention that it started two days ago and does not affect any other devices, so it seems like a chrome only problem. I tried with the current version and the beta version but had the same problem with both. Also, when the "are you experiencing interruptions" thing pops up, it displays the wrong ISP as well.

e: getting good speeds now, will see if it lasts.

Depths fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 27, 2015

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there an extension that can detect 'received in exchange for an honest review' in an Amazon.com product page? I want some kind of warning that these pseudo-shills are reviewing the product.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there an extension that can detect 'received in exchange for an honest review' in an Amazon.com product page? I want some kind of warning that these pseudo-shills are reviewing the product.

Well, there's the Amazon Vine program where manufacturers send free stuff to people to review... in that case it'll actually say "Amazon Vine review" tagged at the top of the review.

If the manufacturer bypasses Amazon completely and just pays people to show up and review stuff and pays them money and/or products to do so, uh, you'd just have to use your gut to decide if the review sounds legit. "Verified Purchase" certainly helps weed things out, but of course sometime the manufacturer will pay a person to buy their item off Amazon just to do that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I know how amazon works, I'm just looking for something to highlight when a product has reviews that may or may not be legit. The ones I've been seeing lately are Verified Purchases.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, I know how amazon works, I'm just looking for something to highlight when a product has reviews that may or may not be legit. The ones I've been seeing lately are Verified Purchases.

Uh, well you could do the same thing I did, install Word Replacer II and use it to replace "Vine Voices" and "Verified Purchase" with a long message in all caps or whatever you want so it stands out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Zero VGS posted:

Uh, well you could do the same thing I did, install Word Replacer II and use it to replace "Vine Voices" and "Verified Purchase" with a long message in all caps or whatever you want so it stands out.

Verified Purchase just means that Amazon has record of the transaction; without that it could be someone reviewing a product they bought elsewhere or a product they don't own at all.

I do this, and there are some stock phrases that they ask you to use (in exchange for an honest review is a very common one.) If you look at the sentences there's almost always a phrase with honest review or honest opinion in it, but not everyone regulates the full sentence so you probably don't want to make a filter target too wide either.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an extension that makes the new tab page a little bit more interesting? Ideally I'd like to set it up with a few of my bookmarks updated so I can quickly see if there is anything new at the top without going to each page.

Kind of like windows 10 start menu I guess except full of websites instead of useless junk

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 28, 2015

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am using Google Chrome.

I want that "Print..." option removed. I never want to see it again. How do I get rid of it? I've tried googling it and the closest thing I've found to helpful advice was some guy advising someone to edit the preferences file for Google Chrome. I'm assuming he means the file called master preferences that I see in the Chrome folder, but I have no idea how to open that file, opening it in notepad just gives me gibberish.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
There are a bunch of custom right-click menu editors out there.

A quick look on the store, found three which might help you out:

One

Two

Three

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The second one I don't think has anything to do with right click, only the menu on the top bar.

The other ones I don't think can remove the print button, if they can then I don't think I'm smart enough to figure out how to do it. I don't really know anything about programming or coding or anything.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
You're right. Chrome extensions can only add and manage their own context menu items, they can't remove any of the stock, built-in items.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Are there any addons that will blacklist websites from google searches? Google used to have it baked into your google account but they discontinued it. No poo poo.

I will cry tears of joy when i search for something and there isn't immediately a CNN, huffington post, lfehacker, fox news or buzzfeed article in the top 3 results

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ChairMaster posted:

I am using Google Chrome.

I want that "Print..." option removed. I never want to see it again. How do I get rid of it? I've tried googling it and the closest thing I've found to helpful advice was some guy advising someone to edit the preferences file for Google Chrome. I'm assuming he means the file called master preferences that I see in the Chrome folder, but I have no idea how to open that file, opening it in notepad just gives me gibberish.

I opened it in notepad++ and all thats in that file is this. dont think he was much help.

code:
{"distribution":{"create_all_shortcuts":false,"skip_first_run_ui":true,"msi":true,"system_level":true,"verbose_logging":true}}
you cant get any more bare bones than regular ol' notepad. it'll only open plain text files in ASCII. anything that has formatting will display broken and anything using UTF8 or unicode is going to be gibberish

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Is there really anything for Chrome on android for content blocking? A few sites I go to have those dumb ads that keep redirecting me to the Play Store.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sonata Mused posted:

Is there really anything for Chrome on android for content blocking? A few sites I go to have those dumb ads that keep redirecting me to the Play Store.

I think you either need to root your phone or use Firefox, Chrome loves their advertisers.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

nigga crab pollock posted:

Are there any addons that will blacklist websites from google searches? Google used to have it baked into your google account but they discontinued it. No poo poo.

I will cry tears of joy when i search for something and there isn't immediately a CNN, huffington post, lfehacker, fox news or buzzfeed article in the top 3 results

This will add an option to block search results from any search. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...her-info-dialog

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sonata Mused posted:

Not chrome but

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=acr.browser.lightning

Pay version blocks ads. I used my google survey dollars for it.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

anyone know why typing any letter/number into the url bar would cause the chrome process to hang for several seconds? It doesn't happen if I start with a special character :/#@ etc, the length of time it hangs is consistent even on a fresh reboot or using incognito, and it happens even if the internet is disconnected.

I've tried clearing history, the cache in userdata, and removing all apps. Using latest stable chrome (46.0.2490.80 m) and windows 7.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

_jink posted:

anyone know why typing any letter/number into the url bar would cause the chrome process to hang for several seconds? It doesn't happen if I start with a special character :/#@ etc, the length of time it hangs is consistent even on a fresh reboot or using incognito, and it happens even if the internet is disconnected.

I've tried clearing history, the cache in userdata, and removing all apps. Using latest stable chrome (46.0.2490.80 m) and windows 7.

Have you tried disabling the 'use a predictive service to help complete searches and urls...' option under settings->advanced?

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Forgive me if this isn't the place to ask, but... I can't view videos on YouTube when I'm at youtube.com. I can see them embedded at other websites, but it just shows a black screen at the youtube site. Audio comes out fine and when I place my cursor over the timeline to scrub the image comes up. It works fine when I open them in Safari.

I've turned on and off my various extensions including adblock, youtube center, videostream, and magic actions for youtube to no avail. This has been going on for a month or two now and I really don't know why. I've updated my browser, restarted my computer, I even upgraded my OS, but still nothing.

I'm running version 46.0.2490.71 (64-bit) if that helps.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What happens when you disable flash from in chrome://plugins and try to play a video on youtube.com?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

its html5

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

shadow puppet of a posted:

What happens when you disable flash from in chrome://plugins and try to play a video on youtube.com?

What I disabled was the stupid non-HW accelerated WEBM/VP/whatever video formats, my gonads are comfy cold now when playing videos!
See: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Did the "Open as window" option get removed from Chrome for Mac? Chrome recently updated and now my Gmail, Photos, and Play Music shortcuts on my dock open up in a new tab instead of their own separate windows. Right clicking the chrome app icons under chrome://apps doesn't show the "Open as window" option anymore and it's making me sad :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The past couple of weeks, I've had a weird problem with Chrome (whatever the later version is, 46.0.2490.80 m.)

On some pages, when I scroll down (happens with mouse wheel, page down, and just arrow keys,) the images/text get all messed up. Here's an Example from yesterday:

I thought it might have been AdBlcok, but removed that and I'm still seeing it.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Is there any chrome extension which will do the same as Link location bar for Firefox? Albeit a very small functionality, I really find it neat because I'm in that camp which detests status bars at the bottom of my window. The closest I've found is link revealer, using it without a tooltip and placing the box in the upper right corner, but it looks rather crude compared to the neatness of link location bar.

EDIT:
Reading up, I guess it hugely does matter that I'm using Vivaldi rather than Chrome(ium). This is probably extremely doable with some JS and CSS-trickery in this browser, but that's way above me. Argh.

Marinmo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 11, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DrBouvenstein posted:

The past couple of weeks, I've had a weird problem with Chrome (whatever the later version is, 46.0.2490.80 m.)

On some pages, when I scroll down (happens with mouse wheel, page down, and just arrow keys,) the images/text get all messed up. Here's an Example from yesterday:

I thought it might have been AdBlcok, but removed that and I'm still seeing it.

I had that issue, it was because I turned on GPU raster in chrome://flags, and it went away when I turned it off.

Might not fix it for you but worth a shot maybe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I had that issue, it was because I turned on GPU raster in chrome://flags, and it went away when I turned it off.

Might not fix it for you but worth a shot maybe.

Thanks, That flag was set to enable. I know I didn't enable it, since I think this is the first time I've ever gone to chrome://flags, but maybe some update somewhere did? I don't know, turned it off, let's see how it handles now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The Youtube Center script's development seems to be dead, what are some good alternatives?

https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter Hasn't been updated since August.