Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

"Lack of productivity" is neoliberal bullshit that can go gently caress itself, siesta rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Heat maps count too, right?

time.com posted:

The British university, in conjunction with Finland’s Aalto University, conducted the largest study on physical contact ever and found that—surprise!—people don’t really want to be touched by strangers anywhere except their hands. But they did find that women are more comfortable with physical contact than men.

The researchers polled of over 1300 men and women in five different countries (Britain, Finland, France, Italy and Russia) about where they felt comfortable being touched by partners, friends of the same and opposite sex, family members and strangers. Their responses were distilled into a map that shows which areas are (literally) up for grabs and which are off limits. The results were published in journal PNAS this week.

The graphic shows the obvious: genitals are a taboo zones, people of both genders are more comfortable with physical contact with their mothers than their fathers. But the study also found odd tidbits: Italians are more comfortable being touched than Russians, for instance. Finns proved the most comfortable with contact and Brits the least.

The research also determined that when it came to touching, nominal relationships (like whether someone was a blood relative) mattered more than the frequency with which people encountered one another. “It is the relationship rather than familiarity that matters. A friend we haven’t seen for some time will still be able to touch areas where an acquaintance we see every day would not,” Oxford University’s Professor Dunbar explains on Oxford’s website.

Everything I took for granted... wrong... :negative:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

System Metternich posted:

Turns out women are from Mars and men are from Venus.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Glance is a contact anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What is the scenario were you'd be touching your mother's ankles/calves outside of some sort of medical situation?

Anyway, I guess I'll need to step up the touching on my dates, apparently women are into that :confused:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

What is the scenario were you'd be touching your mother's ankles/calves outside of some sort of medical situation?

Anyway, I guess I'll need to step up the touching on my dates, apparently women are into that :confused:

Yes, they are.

e: unless they already don't like you.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

It's about your mother touching you, not the other way around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's about your mother touching you, not the other way around.
That doesn't reduce the number of questions about this scenario.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

That doesn't reduce the number of questions about this scenario.

Really? You can't think of benign non-medical reasons for someone's mother to touch their ankles? Like, straightening your socks is an example.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mobby_6kl posted:

Someone has already pointed out that you read this whole thing backwards, but I do like your idea that people were asked to describe which areas of his body your uncle would prefer you to not touch. But really, the fact that male strangers have a giant taboo zone while female strangers have none should have been the first clue that this was about where that person can touch, not where they can be touched.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Okay fair enough, that makes more sense :v:

Trabisnikof posted:

Really? You can't think of benign non-medical reasons for someone's mother to touch their ankles? Like, straightening your socks is an example.

Did they survey 3-year olds or something? Edit: Or asked mothers about touching their toddlers, perhaps. Whatever.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 29, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Did they survey 3-year olds or something? Edit: Or asked mothers about touching their toddlers, perhaps. Whatever.

Its not a question of "how often does it happen" but would you be uncomfortable if it happened. I think few people would really care if a family member touched their leg or visa versa. You're getting hung up imagining the scenario. Happens a lot with early model Nexus 6s.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I'm surprised the Brits are even comfortable with their husbands and wives touching them.

Should poll U.S. athletes so we can get a pure white zone around their teammate's asses.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Why is the crotch above a zero for Mother/Sister? :cry:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Think of it as trust rather than touching each others genitals for fun.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Vorpal Cat posted:

Why is the crotch above a zero for Mother/Sister? :cry:

Zero is touch me and I'll punch you so there is a lot of room between zero and comfortable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Male strangers absolutely can't touch your knees, but male or female strangers have about the same level of discomfort touching feet. Which is above zero.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mobby_6kl posted:

Escalate to kino.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
That should say most purchased because nobody loving likes candy corn.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
100 Grand, Hawaii? Really?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Irradiation posted:

That should say most purchased because nobody loving likes candy corn.

gently caress you

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

zeal posted:

gently caress you

http://youtu.be/BTSDOo7hzJU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

zeal posted:

gently caress you

It's horrible.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

zeal posted:

gently caress you

I'm sorry you're broken. :smith:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
It's politically loaded because it highlights the failure of the underfunded West Virginia education system to teach people the correct definition of candy.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends
Maryland and Vermont are the worst states.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
At least no one has Rockets.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Irradiation posted:

I'm sorry you're broken. :smith:
It's rubber and it tastes like rubber.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It's rubber and it tastes like rubber.

It's sugar and it tastes delicious

Minnesota is apparently the best state

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Action-Man posted:

Maryland and Vermont are the worst states.

Almond Joys are awesome or are you one of these dumbfucks who "doesn't like coconut".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This should be another "Worst state=best food" map, but Connecticut choose Reese's.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Idaho, our lives are in your hands and you have Butterfingers?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Yet another map where Texas comes off as the worst state.

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends

Frostwerks posted:

Almond Joys are awesome or are you one of these dumbfucks who "doesn't like coconut".

I like to eat candy that doesn't have the taste and texture of shredded plastic.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Candy corn is crusty calcified corn syrup. They're garbage and so is anyone who thinks it's acceptable to put one in your mouth.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Dark chocolate, ammonium chloride, and maybe some kind of mints are the only acceptable forms of candy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
according to wikipedia, Candy corn is made primarily from hugs, love, confectioner's wax, artificial coloring and binders

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Kavak posted:

This should be another "Worst state=best food" map, but Connecticut choose Reese's.

But that does make it one of those maps? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The only good candies on that map are Reese's Pieces, Life Savers (but not all of them), and maybe Tootsie Rolls.