Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKall
Oct 15, 2012

lornekates posted:

Impossible. Crispin Glover sued The Internet! That made the movie unexist.

I'm almost positive he has a Google Alert set up. My video on his movie stayed up for years when it wasn't being hosted on TGWTG. Once it went up, he immediately he started yelling at my boss and my title card artist to take it down. Even the title card.

He's... intense. I can't say he's in the wrong though, he's just overly protective of his work and his image. See also: his lawsuit against Universal for using a Crispin Glover stand-in for BTTF part 2.

KKall fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and yet Clownly Clown Clown still exists on youtube

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

KKall posted:

I'm almost positive he has a Google Alert set up. My video on his movie stayed up for years when it wasn't being hosted on TGWTG. Once it went up, he immediately he started yelling at my boss and my title card artist to take it down. Even the title card.

He's... intense. I can't say he's in the wrong though, he's just overly protective of his work and his image. See also: his lawsuit against Universal for using a Crispin Glover stand-in for BTTF part 2.
I could almost feel for him, oh wait no I can't. gently caress that bullshit, gently caress the precious author.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Todd has a new Cinemadonna: The Next Best thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padqYfpwlIs

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is there a gaming equivalent to Every Frame a Painting? Someone who takes a look into the deeper artistry, storytelling and mechanics of games? Kimble Justice is somewhat close, but anyone have other suggestions?

Errant Signal is pretty great, he goes through a lot of older/quirkier games that had interesting mechanics, and covers how new games use mechanics in an interesting way.

I think Noah Caldwell-Gervais has some great analysis videos as well, just be prepared for them to be long.

Also, Todd did a one hit wonderland on Turning Japanese... yet somehow missed the bit of music history about the oriental riff originating in an 1847 play about Aladdin. Come on dude, it's on wikipedia and everything!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Paladin posted:

Also, Todd did a one hit wonderland on Turning Japanese... yet somehow missed the bit of music history about the oriental riff originating in an 1847 play about Aladdin. Come on dude, it's on wikipedia and everything!

It's not that simple, if you read the sources they cite, The one in the 1847 Alladdin [sic] Quick Step uses a "proto-proto-version", which the the one major source on this subject details as 4 sixteenth notes at the same pitch, followed by 4 eighth notes and 1 quarter note (any pitch for these), all staccato.

In fact, the page itself says:

quote:

The Far East Proto-Cliché "kind of almost occurs" already in 1847

If you listen to the midi file they have of the song from that play on that site, it really sounds nothing like it, but the riff we know today is either directly descended from it or else that song is symptomatic of some of the cultural baggage we put into the riff. They earliest example that sounds close-ish is actually 1900, though some arguments could be made for a riff in 1881.

The site says about the exact origin of the riff:

quote:

Unresolved Questions

As mentioned above it is still undetermined when (or even if) the "Kung Fu Fighting" variant came to gain some prominence (Though I think one can arguably see in the examples a gradual evolution over time towards variants that are more and more like it).

The origins of the proto-cliché are still a bit unclear, too: one could argue that even the earliest clear instances of the proto-riff that I've found, from 1881, 1893 and 1900 seem to be referencing something that is already established.

And it is always impossible to prove that something (i.e. in this case an earlier instance of something) does not exist.

So if you have spotted this cliché or proto-cliché, or something that you think sounds somewhat like it, then feel more than welcome to contact me about it. When referenced here I will (if you wish so) credit you with finding it.

Trust me, I've been in this discussion before, the history of it is pretty colorful and we're still not certain when and how it fossilized the way it is now, though it did appear several times in its modern form in some 1930s cartoons. Todd could legitimately fill an entire episode just on the history of that riff.

The Wikipedia page is slightly misleading in this regard due to its really terse summary.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 30, 2015

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Jsor posted:

It's not that simple,

Oh, well that's cool to know then! More interesting history than I thought, and I can see how he wouldn't want to spend half the video going into it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Violet_Sky posted:

This movie is more foul than I could have possibly imagined.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Oh, it looked positively awful. Like...the kidnapping? What the hell? Also, what kind of court would completely discount a parental figure's right to have contact with the child he raised when he's been a good parent, is a primary attachment figure and has been raising the child since birth? Whether or not he's biologically related shouldn't really come into it. Especially when the biological father apparently gets rights to custody even though he was never a part of the child's life. I've got no idea.
I can see why Rupert Everett told gay actors not to come out, if these were the only kinds of roles he was offered.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh, it looked positively awful. Like...the kidnapping? What the hell? Also, what kind of court would completely discount a parental figure's right to have contact with the child he raised when he's been a good parent, is a primary attachment figure and has been raising the child since birth? Whether or not he's biologically related shouldn't really come into it. Especially when the biological father apparently gets rights to custody even though he was never a part of the child's life. I've got no idea.
I can see why Rupert Everett told gay actors not to come out, if these were the only kinds of roles he was offered.

Yeah that poo poo was honestly anger-inducing.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Jsor posted:

It's not that simple, if you read the sources they cite, The one in the 1847 Alladdin [sic] Quick Step uses a "proto-proto-version", which the the one major source on this subject details as 4 sixteenth notes at the same pitch, followed by 4 eighth notes and 1 quarter note (any pitch for these), all staccato.

One thing the author missed when he was expounding a bit on the Aladdin quick-step:

quote:

In this year appeared ("as produced at the Boston Museum") an operetta or cabaret or vaudeville or I-don't-know-what called The Grand Chinese Spectable of Aladdin or The Wonderful Lamp, which included this tune called Alladin Quick Step. A Chinese Alladin? Don't ask me; I can only note that a similar mixture of elements from the Orient in its widest meaning, including both the middle east and the far east, exists also in another important early cite of the Far East proto-cliché, which we will get to in a minute: An Afternoon in Midway Plaisance from 1893.

Fun fact to win bar bets: Aladdin himself is very much Chinese in the "original" 1001 Nights (I put quotes there because the story of Aladdin shows up very late courtesy of a French guy and has shaky at best lineage); I'm not sure if in 1847 that little bit was better known than it is now, however.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

I remeber watching this movie as a kid and beiing very upset at how Rupert's character was treated.

And it upsets me even more now. God drat it straight, rich, white Hollywood.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Yeah, I'm not sure how we were supposed to feel about it. Was that supposed to be funny? 2000 is too late to have made a story like that - I would have expected a "kidnap a child so he doesn't have to see his gay parent" storyline in the seventies or early eighties.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just got a Patreon update from Matthewmatosis and it looks like he's going full-time on internet reviewing. It was a long post, but here's what's most relevant for this thread I think:

quote:

What happens now?

Nothing really. I’m assuming most of you are pretty happy with the way I do things at the moment so I plan to keep things the same as they ever have been. I’m hopeful with the extra time I have I’ll be able to produce more videos but I’m not going to take any shortcuts. I know that one of the main draws of my videos is quality over quantity and I’d like to preserve that.

For the sake of clarity I’ll lay it all out.

All of my content will continue to be available for everyone without any paywalls.

I won’t give preferential treatment to any of my supporters.

I’ll continue to reject free copies of games from developers/publishers.

I won’t accept any other freebies or invitations to events either.

I won’t produce an excessive amount of videos just because this is my livelihood now.

I won’t do any sponsored content of any kind.

I plan to continue sitting aside from the games industry rather than trying to be a part of it for as long as I’m making videos. Since I tend to review games long after their release I’ve never had to make nice with publishers/developers anyway.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

It's Halloween on the East Coast, so here's a Goosebumps book review! Monster Blood!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Do you enjoy pain? I do too.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

poparena posted:

It's Halloween on the East Coast, so here's a Goosebumps book review! Monster Blood!

That was fun, for some reason I really clearly remembered the plot of those books specifically out of all the goosebumps books. I can assure you that the sequels do not begin to make more sense.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Todd posted a Halloween review on his Patreon.

It's a Fall Out Boy song??

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Oh, come on, I know Slowbeef is no spring chicken, but that's just rude!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

That hideous laugh EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is anyone else having audio problems with the new Board James episode? All the other videos on Cinemassacre play fine, but there's a buzzing sound on that one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I hope Todd put Cheerleader in his top 10 list because I can't get the song out of my head and I need people to tell me I have good taste.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sarcopenia posted:

I remeber watching this movie as a kid and beiing very upset at how Rupert's character was treated.

That's how you're supposed to feel. Good job.

They just also expect you to empathize with Madonna's character which doesn't work at all.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Todd has a new SPOOKY review!

https://vimeo.com/144193444

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kalos posted:

That's how you're supposed to feel. Good job.

They just also expect you to empathize with Madonna's character which doesn't work at all.

That's exactly what made me uncomfortable. That we're somehow supposed to "get" where Madonna's character is coming from and that whoah "Gays are human you guys but not like us and we totally get if you think they're a little icky!". 1990-2000s was really weird time to become super aware of your own skincolor and sexuality man.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm trying to save money to be able to move out of my parents house, so I canceled my Pateros. Sorry Lupa :(

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Has Spoony said anything about uploading his Blip videos or are those forever lost?

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Tracula posted:

Has Spoony said anything about uploading his Blip videos or are those forever lost?

You're not losing much, pal.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Tracula posted:

I dunno about Spoony but if you are looking for anything in particular I am happy to share any video from my personal collection. Just shoot me a PM or send me an e-mail to my username at outlook.com with the video ID you want.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Most of his stuff was cross-posted on Youtube, and what he hasn't posted, there's a solid chance a fan might have done so with Russian subtitles.

Speaking off, the guy got paid $3600 for producing nothing in October. Not even a Counter Monkey or wrestling vlog.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I guess his livestreams don't count towards anything.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mr.Radar posted:

I dunno about Spoony but if you are looking for anything in particular I am happy to share any video from my personal collection. Just shoot me a PM or send me an e-mail to my username at outlook.com with the video ID you want.

FYI: Brad posted to Twitter asking if anyone had a few Midnight Screenings that didn't transfer from Blip. You may want to shoot him a reply, if you're up to sharing:

https://twitter.com/thecinemasnob/status/660861454166458368

quote:

If anyone has the videos for Woman in Black 2, Imitation Game, Taken 3, Ex Machina, Winter Soldier, or Hot Pursuit let me know.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

poparena posted:

Speaking off, the guy got paid $3600 for producing nothing in October. Not even a Counter Monkey or wrestling vlog.

Funny thing was during a live stream during June or so I asked if we could expect another review before 2016. He blocked me for it. Guess I was actually right, huh?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

At this point, I can't fault the guy for taking advantage of stupid people with bad spending habits. The writing was on the wall for a very long time and if you didn't bail on him when his output start to trickle down to next to nothing then that's all on you.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

poparena posted:

Most of his stuff was cross-posted on Youtube, and what he hasn't posted, there's a solid chance a fan might have done so with Russian subtitles.

Spoony's such a piece of poo poo I can't even believe it anymore. His fall from grace is child-celebrity level.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

poparena posted:

Even after taking 30% for taxes he still makes almost twice as much as I earn in gross income working a full 160 hour work month :smith:

E: Oh hey Jontron released a non star wars video recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghOKU8D-lMY

Its one of the animated Titanic movies, and I think its much better then Doug's for one simple reason: He shows more of the movie then Doug did. Now that I think about it thats what I liked more about Lupa's Food Fight review compared to Doug's, its less on wacky antics and more of letting the movie speak for itself.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 3, 2015

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Board James review 13 Dead End Drive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amFRDngyHs

It actually looks really cool, would love an online version of it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Leal posted:

Even after taking 30% for taxes he still makes almost twice as much as I earn in gross income working a full 160 hour work month :smith:

E: Oh hey Jontron released a non star wars video recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghOKU8D-lMY

Its one of the animated Titanic movies, and I think its much better then Doug's for one simple reason: He shows more of the movie then Doug did. Now that I think about it thats what I liked more about Lupa's Food Fight review compared to Doug's, its less on wacky antics and more of letting the movie speak for itself.

I think both Jon and Doug had interesting videos on the subject, but critically Jon used, as you said, more footage from the film, and a lot of stuff never even hinted at in the NC review, what with the bigger focus on the dogs and more about the blatant ripoff from Disney/Bluth (I think Doug only mentioned Cinderella and Cameron's Titanic).

Also I think Jon is great fun any day of the week so I liked his review better.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I wonder, did either of the reviews highlight the Mafia influence on the animation studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Kunster posted:

I wonder, did either of the reviews highlight the Mafia influence on the animation studio?

This th first I've heard of such a connection so no! Indulge me, if you please?

• Locked thread