Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
GUYS!!

"Obsidian Entertainment" posted:

Question: a curiosity, Obsidian never thinked with the idea of creating a horror RPG?
Feargus: We have talked a lot about a horror RPG. We were within inches of doing a RPG with White Wolf and then CCP came in and purchased them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

:flashfap:

When's the kickstarter? Sign me up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
frybrandishingcash.jpg

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
:shepspends:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

CCP is now irrelevant. Now it's Red Eagle's turn to gently caress off and give away the media rights to the Wheel of Time, so Obsidian can give us the ultimate skirt-smoothing RPG.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Athenry posted:

:flashfap:

When's the kickstarter? Sign me up.

This. I'd throw money at a kickstarter project to start a kickstarter project to make this game. I've kickstarted several of the 20th anniversary hardbacks, and I'd have done them all if I'd been aware of the others at the time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
This is the most exciting news I've heard in a while. Nothing has even really been announced, but I'm already feeling like there's a new game on the way in my heart of hearts.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I shouldn't get my hopes up but I still have lost my poo poo and told everyone around me about this

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I shouldn't get my hopes up but I still have lost my poo poo and told everyone around me about this

:goonsay:

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
look at my screenname and avatar. it should be obvious that I'm gonna be an embarrassing piece of garbage thoroughly to everyone around me. as such, it's only natural I'd like VTM immensely.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
its happening :bandwagon:

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/659784786479738880

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

My hype levels are starting to break through the roof. :kingsley:

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

:aaaaa:

We live in exciting times.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hell yes. Even Paradox seems down with it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sweeeeet

Since the thread is a little more active now, I'm gonna quote this in hopes somebody knows how to help me get the clan quest stuff working

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm having trouble getting the clan quest mod to work. I installed it to the correct directory using a fresh install of the game through steam, I didn't have any fan patches or anything else in there except the base game, but for some reason all I get is a console log showing a ton of "unable to load data _______________" and nothing changing. I tried googling this but all I found was a few other people asking about this and not getting any answers. Anybody have any idea what went wrong? I tried a second time, deleting everything in the vampire the masquerade steam folder and uninstalling the game and then reinstalling the game and reinstalling the clan quest mod, but it did the same thing as before. No changes to the game and the console showing on the main menu listing a bunch of "unable to load data" errors.

Anybody else have any trouble patching the game?

e: did another fresh install of the game, didn't even try to patch it yet, and it brings up all these errors at the start.

I dunno if these errors are what is preventing the game from being patched or what :\

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 29, 2015

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I still have lost my poo poo and told everyone around me about this

This. If only cause dammit I need Obsidian making more games all the time.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

OMG, I need a new pants....be right back. :vince:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Did any of the other key members of Troika make it to Obsidian besides Tim Cain? I know Leonard Boyarsky is currently at Blizzard which is a bummer since he was the lead on Bloodlines. But gently caress it, Alpha Protocol in the WoD setting would be enough for me :pray:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Jason Anderson' still leading at inXile. I think that accounts for all three key members?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I don't know what I expected to see when I checked on this thread but that was not it. Holy poo poo I'm already hype.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

I won't say it's *not* happening, but that tweet is only indicative of the fact that the community manager at Obsidian thinks that's cool and is probably going to bring it up to the higher-ups. I'd be pretty surprised if they set up something *before* the deal. I'd also be surprised if they didn't pursue the opportunity now, though.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It's going to be a tiresomely common opinion - but while Obsidian would still be almost certainly the best people for the job, I really wish a project like this could have either Avellone or George Ziets involved.

They get cited as superstar RPG writers again and again, and I don't think that's always accurate (they've both done some pretty rote work for more generic fantasy products), but the simple fact is, they've both truly proven that if you let them loose on a dark and twisted premise, they'll give you something that's unique, artful, and deeply personal.

Whereas the writing of Pillars of Eternity, as the first product of a really post-Avellone world...just seemed stolid. A bit plodding, a bit written-to-order. WoD deserves someone who'll really give the story their own touch.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
It is a tiresome opinion because Avellone had nothing to do with the original Bloodlines and it still managed to be great. It's also weird that you'd cite Pillars as a post Avellone project because he was very much involved with it and was responsible for its dullest and weakest character. He left Obsidian after that project wrapped.

Besides, dude is still on the hook for like a bunch of tie-in novellas, he ought to get those things sorted some time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^ Disgraced Warrior Guy I Forgot The Name Of, right? He seems lame as a character. Useful in combat but lame as a character.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Am I hallucinating

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This is so oddly fitting with our two hour discussion of vampires in class today.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I won't say it's *not* happening, but that tweet is only indicative of the fact that the community manager at Obsidian thinks that's cool and is probably going to bring it up to the higher-ups. I'd be pretty surprised if they set up something *before* the deal. I'd also be surprised if they didn't pursue the opportunity now, though.

Paradox have also responded to that tweet from Obsidian and seem reasonably open to the idea themselves. It's not a 100% certainty, but both parties do seem interested and open to the idea so assuming negotiations and contracts go well, it'll probably happen.

grobbo posted:

It's going to be a tiresomely common opinion - but while Obsidian would still be almost certainly the best people for the job, I really wish a project like this could have either Avellone or George Ziets involved.

They get cited as superstar RPG writers again and again, and I don't think that's always accurate (they've both done some pretty rote work for more generic fantasy products), but the simple fact is, they've both truly proven that if you let them loose on a dark and twisted premise, they'll give you something that's unique, artful, and deeply personal.

Whereas the writing of Pillars of Eternity, as the first product of a really post-Avellone world...just seemed stolid. A bit plodding, a bit written-to-order. WoD deserves someone who'll really give the story their own touch.

No disrespect to Avellone, but he quite frequently gets cited for things he never actually did. When Fallout New Vegas was in development for example, he wrote only a couple of scenarios and characters yet people seemed to assume the game was his baby.

What I'm trying to say is that as talented as Avellone is, he isn't infallible and Obsidian have plenty of other talented writers. Also if Avellone really wanted, he could write for a potential Obsidian developed WoD game on a freelance contract.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

^ Disgraced Warrior Guy I Forgot The Name Of, right? He seems lame as a character. Useful in combat but lame as a character.

No, I actually enjoyed Eder. I mean Grieving Mother, a character whose in game background explanation gave a convenient cop out for having no party interactions, limited effect and bearing on the world (aside from a single quest resolution possibility), and an entirely unstimulating and unfulfilling personal quest. There was some cut content that could have potentially fleshed her out, but she was like the framework for a Planescape: Torment type interesting character and very little else than that.

But I don't even know why Chris Avellone is brought up because it was Brian Mitsoda who actually did the cool writing on Bloodlines, and he's off with his own indie game company right now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Grieving Mother, Psion Cipher.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I literally just met her before shelving the game for MGSV a month back. Her introduction is really neat but it's a shame she doesn't have much beyond that.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No disrespect to Avellone, but he quite frequently gets cited for things he never actually did. When Fallout New Vegas was in development for example, he wrote only a couple of scenarios and characters yet people seemed to assume the game was his baby.

What I'm trying to say is that as talented as Avellone is, he isn't infallible and Obsidian have plenty of other talented writers. Also if Avellone really wanted, he could write for a potential Obsidian developed WoD game on a freelance contract.

Well, no - but that's exactly what I said above. Avellone doesn't have a perfect record, and he seems to struggle with more straightforward genre fare (his characters in NWN2, for example)

But this is exactly the kind of project that I think would suit his rather dark and playful sensibilities best, so I'd be particularly delighted to see his take on it. (And again, the same goes for Ziets, who did such great and thoughtful work on Mask of the Betrayer, and then it seemed like Obsidian didn't quite know the best way to use him afterwards...)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I just hope they let Brian Mitsoda write all the Malkavian dialogue again.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I just want a VTM:Bloodlines 2 without all the jankiness of using a beta version of the source engine.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Samuel Clemens posted:

He did knock that poo poo out of the park. Managing to rewrite line after line like that for a game as dialog heavy as Bloodlines without it being absolutely cringe inducing is praiseworthy. That he made it more enjoyable than the original dialog throughout and actually tied in cryptic poo poo that played on your character just 'knowing' things about later plot was really great.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Boogle posted:

I just want a VTM:Bloodlines 2 without all the jankiness of using a beta version of the source engine.

Agreed. I want them to use the alpha version of the source engine. :getin:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Boogle posted:

I just want Alpha Protocol 2: The vampiring

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Wow, legitimately pretty interested. Here's to hoping they nail the music/atmosphere in this one too.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I need a new VTM:B avatar for the occasion, suggestions?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
either one of the two best characters in the game. fat larry or betrum tung (NASTY DUDE!!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Looking over the responses to that tweet suggests that Mitsoda is down for a new Vampire game, though I'm basing this off a tweet lumping him with someone else, who responds for him. So it could just be a string of people talking out their rear end.

Not related to the news but I haven't seen anyone mention news regarding the next CQM update. A couple months back the creator announced that 4.0 would include a new Sabbat storyline, as well as a new hub area.

• Locked thread