Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sharkie posted:

Yeah Bush was an idiot; his performance was designed to hide his class signifiers, not his supposed intelligence. There's overlap between how those two aspects are signified but they're, at a fundamental level, not the same.

This is exactly what the Duck Dynasty guys have done as well, because a lot of people who watch that show probably wouldn't buy in to the bullshit if it was filmed in mansions or at country clubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nah, Alderaan was an inside job, light can't melt and explode mantle rock.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

seiferguy posted:

Dr. Ben Carson

@RealBenCarson

It is important to remember that amateurs built the Ark and it was the professionals that built the Titanic. @my_ccu

:wow:

This made me realize that I never really knew the Christian explanation for how the ark was supposedly built. Turns out Noah built the whole thing himself, making the story even dumber than I originally thought.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This made me realize that I never really knew the Christian explanation for how the ark was supposedly built. Turns out Noah built the whole thing himself, making the story even dumber than I originally thought.

I believe if you watch the recent film on the topic you'll know he had angelic rock golems helping him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Bernie / Biden 2016. VP for life. :getin:

So just how much would house republicans gently caress over either of them when it came time to replace the vice president?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So just how much would house republicans gently caress over either of them when it came time to replace the vice president?

Are you kidding? The Freedom Caucus is already calling for impeachment hearings of ANY Democrat wins.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I believe if you watch the recent film on the topic you'll know he had angelic rock golems helping him.

I haven't seen the movie, but I was able to track down this documentary on the subject and don't see anything in there about golems.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Are you kidding? The Freedom Caucus is already calling for impeachment hearings of ANY Democrat wins.

I'm trying to determine the likelihood of them refusing to confirm a replacement VP until the other one drops dead.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate stands in recess subject to the call of the chair. Rand Paul nowhere in sight.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

And he ran it into a loving mountain. Icebergs are mobile whereas Mount Ararat wasn't going anywhere.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

And he ran it into a loving mountain. Icebergs are mobile whereas Mount Ararat wasn't going anywhere.

TBF to Noah its not like the worlds biggest boat can turn on a dime.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FAUXTON posted:

You try steering a ship while also dealing with kangaroos and hippos and just about every rear end in a top hat animal there is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You try steering a ship while also dealing with kangaroos and hippos and just about every rear end in a top hat animal there is.

Also, every species of dinosaur.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also the wine and incest

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but I was able to track down this documentary on the subject and don't see anything in there about golems.

The movie is a very interesting if kind of loose take on the story. But it still has a good message. A hardcore environmental one that literally has Noah say at one point "we must stop reproducing and/or kill this pregnant woman so we don't sully the innocent creatures (animals) again".

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etCRX5nXLf8

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

zoux posted:

Also, every species of dinosaur.

Just a pair of the dinosaur baramin.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Will the freedom caucus survive the next bout of elections? I don't mean that facetiously, I just wonder legitimately how many of those seats are in danger of getting lost to saner republicans.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RadicalWall posted:

I take solace in the idea that every day the older republicans die and the younger democrats become eligible to vote. The electorate is trending further and further away from them.

People have been saying that for a hundred years. Except for all the young people who are happy to vote Republican because all they understand is hate and anger, or because they live in the Bible Belt, or...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

Will the freedom caucus survive the next bout of elections? I don't mean that facetiously, I just wonder legitimately how many of those seats are in danger of getting lost to saner republicans.

0% chance of saner Republicans taking those seats unless it's a live boy/dead girl scenario. Even then, it'd just be a new crazy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Luigi Thirty posted:

People have been saying that for a hundred years. Except for all the young people who are happy to vote Republican because all they understand is hate and anger, or because they live in the Bible Belt, or...

Hmm yes, things are exactly the same as 100 years ago, when the Ku Klux Klan had hundred thousand strong rallies outside of the White House and segregation was institutionalized in all levels of government.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The funniest thing about the story of Noah's ark is that the majority of christians don't even know what's it's really about. You'll get the common poo poo about a boat and two of every animal but ask the common GOPer who bloviates about christianity about the Watchers or nephilim and you'll get blank stares.

poo poo, the movie Noah is more accurate than the disney-fied version of the story nowadays.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

computer parts posted:

Hmm yes, things are exactly the same as 100 years ago, when the Ku Klux Klan had hundred thousand strong rallies outside of the White House and segregation was institutionalized in all levels of government.

Also we've got national marriage equality now. All bets are off, inshallah

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love the NeoCon Straussians just hiding behind the curtain

We know you're back there- come out friends.

Fear will keep them in line, fear of this battlestation :bernin: We will have peace in our time.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hah, posted that a few days ago in the Freep thread, so I'll repeat here what I said there: It's always Pinochet they come back to as the not-so-bad-when-you-think-about-it dictator, every goddamn time.

An American Pinochet in the White House gives them stiffies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Traveller posted:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Traveller posted:

Cheney supposedly has said that one of his greatest worries is that in the future historians will labelled him just that, which he apparently thinks would be unjust or at least unwelcome for, despite being an almost literal comic-book supervillian, he's aware that generally the name "Pinochet" tracks badly with most non-sociopaths.

Guess what I'm planning on for the title of my first political biography, go on guess. :getin:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Guess what I'm planning on for the title of my first political biography, go on guess. :getin:

Better not gently caress it up

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

computer parts posted:

Bad examples, both phenomena were recent developments 100 years ago, largely as a result of the racist policies and public stances of Woodrow Wilson. He summarily turned around the long standing and before then undisputed policy of racial integration in the Federal civil service, and his openly racist attitudes helped to normalize and speed along the revitalization of what had been an almost completely defunct KKK.

History does not run in a straight line towards progressivism and it is dangerous to see it that way.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

History does not run in a straight line towards progressivism and it is dangerous to see it that way.

for example, Grant was probably the least racist president right up until Obama for chrissakes

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
A couple hours ago someone leaked a giant ~100 slide internal Bush campaign Powerpoint presentation to US News outlining goals, strategies, and data. Internal polling data, ad strategy, vote goals -- really interesting stuff and I'm sure he's livid it got leaked.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2015/10/29/jeb-bushs-campaign-blueprint

He also has a small section on pages 19-21 dedicated to attacking Rubio. No one else gets slides devoted to them:

I haven't had time to dig through the whole thing yet but there's good stuff in it.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 30, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

UberJew posted:

for example, Grant was probably the least racist president right up until Obama for chrissakes

FDR wasnt super bad though that was mostly because his wife prodded him to make some reforms. jfk and johnson wern't to bad. I am not sure about Truman. Nixon was a full on bigot and reagan got his black cabinet minister(who was corrupt as gently caress) mixed up with other black people constantly.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Aerox posted:

A couple hours ago someone leaked a giant ~100 slide internal Bush campaign Powerpoint presentation to US News outlining goals, strategies, and data. Internal polling data, ad strategy, vote goals -- really interesting stuff and I'm sure he's livid it got leaked.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2015/10/29/jeb-bushs-campaign-blueprint

He also has a small section on pages 19-21 dedicated to attacking Rubio. No one else gets slides devoted to them:

I haven't had time to dig through the whole thing yet but there's good stuff in it.

The slide transitions connote excitement.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aerox posted:

Holy poo poo if staff is leaking internal poo poo, the ship is going down fast.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

:allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Aerox posted:

I haven't had time to dig through the whole thing yet but it's already really interesting.

I dont like rubio, but he is honestly the closet republican that could win moderates. if jeb were smart, he would attack trump, carson and cruz as being insane radicals.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
So is this the lovely power point that the donors were unimpressed with at the Bush synod in Texas last weekend?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Bad examples, both phenomena were recent developments 100 years ago, largely as a result of the racist policies and public stances of Woodrow Wilson. He summarily turned around the long standing and before then undisputed policy of racial integration in the Federal civil service, and his openly racist attitudes helped to normalize and speed along the revitalization of what had been an almost completely defunct KKK.

The US ain't getting whiter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I dont like rubio, but he is honestly the closet republican that could win moderates. if jeb were smart, he would attack trump, carson and cruz as being insane radicals.

He shares a donor base and home state with Rubio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My favorite part of that 112 slide deck is that the Texas Land Commissioner is listed as a "notable endorsement".

• Locked thread