Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Moriatti posted:

To those of you that don't allow death, what do you do to give players fear of some of the bigger forces?

Hit then where they'll really feel it. Every killing blow starts to hit their money stash. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Oh! Just to be I had a detailed discussion with my players before selecting the modules and updating them about playstyles as to what kind of game they wanted to run. The answer was unanimously "a classic D&D feel, warts and all" , so they are satisfied with the situation currently. I was more asking because I wanted to start a discussion.

As to my own feelings on this:

1) Since 4e is very much about player agency, I allow knockouts. If the opponents are intelligent, the KO'd and non-recovered players are captured. If they are wild beast, the players are given a window to recover the body. (The Priest in The Keep will indeed revive their party member for free the first time, but insist that he go with them in the future. This plays into the module.)

2) I usually either make monsters that are TOO STRONG either super-obvious and avoidable, or a set of skill checks. If the player hadn't sacrificed himself, there would have been a chase sequence. As it was, he had a stealth section that he also failed after the party didn't read the obvious signs of danger in the cave, and he led them to a dangerous situation by lying.

To those of you that don't allow death, what do you do to give players fear of some of the bigger forces? I find that simply knowing that their characters can die means that they rarely do, and usually try to come up with a plan that isn't just "BASH THE DOOR DOWN, KILL THE GOBLINS."
How do you make your villains seem deadly?

I never tell my players I don't allow player death. In fact, since I am known as a power gamer in other areas, I play up that reputation to make them more afraid. It keeps the tension up, and they feel like they got one over on me when they barely survive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Trasson posted:

Hit then where they'll really feel it. Every killing blow starts to hit their money stash. :getin:

That's what happens already though? Raise Dead is expensive...

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

That's what happens already though? Raise Dead is expensive...

Nah, nothing like that. Every time you drop you lose 50% of your cash and then you just get back up. It works in Dragon Quest to make the player fear death so it'll work here!

Honestly I was joking but now I kind of want to try it out.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Level 8+ warpriests have a daily resurrection ability, which is nice, especially if you're rolling an Oghma Warpriest for their increasingly solid abilities as you level (their worst feature is their level 27 encounter power, since it's their level 13 encounter power with one extra [w] of damage, which is a bit underwhelming. But hey, reserve maneuver into Valorous Charge and become the king you were always meant to be).

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007

Moriatti posted:

To those of you that don't allow death, what do you do to give players fear of some of the bigger forces? I find that simply knowing that their characters can die means that they rarely do, and usually try to come up with a plan that isn't just "BASH THE DOOR DOWN, KILL THE GOBLINS."
How do you make your villains seem deadly?

In my experience, 4e has been good enough about keeping random deaths low enough that I haven't ever felt like I needed to ban character death as an official house rule. When characters have died, the groups I play in always offer to resurrect the character(s), but I've never actually seen anyone take up that offer. Both when its an offer of DM fiat "OK you all wake up in prison..." and when the party has the right rituals and cash to do it themselves.

I think if you ban character death you both need to have some reason, like an especially narrative heavy campaign where character death would be so disruptive that it'd ruin the narrative flow, and you need to talk to the players first and make sure they are on board with whatever your doing. If you've got player buy in you either don't need to worry about the stick half of motivation or you can pick a clear campaign appropriate penalty.

The Tenra Bansho Zero RPG has a cool solution to this issue. Players can basically set a flag on their characters for a scene and while this flag is up the character gets access to extra power but is also killable.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

That flag rule seems cool, I'll have to look into Tenra Bansho Zero for my Skype group maybe.

I should point out that I don't expect another death until we start dealing with Vecna, who, of course he'll drop fuckers. He's Vecna. This was just a case of the party getting overly cocky and ignoring the usual AD&D "this will kill you" signs.

I am working with a friend on ideas for a Final Fantasy campaign in a few months, maybe I'll ask her about the half gold drop on death houserule.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

wallawallawingwang posted:

The Tenra Bansho Zero RPG has a cool solution to this issue. Players can basically set a flag on their characters for a scene and while this flag is up the character gets access to extra power but is also killable.

Haha, this is awesome. You gain incredible Cutscene power, able to pull of stunts and feats you never normally could, but the risk is there that Sephiroth is gonna stab you in your torso.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm going to be running my first 4E game next week -what tips would you give me going in/focus on prep areas

• I have zero hands on experience with 4E
  • I've got a bunch of DMing experience of other D&D games and *world games
  • Players experience with 4E is minimal, but they are all long time D&Ders - we're currently playing a 5E game together and the bland combat is the trigger for this
  • I'm going to run the Zeitgeist campaign
  • I've got the players on the character builder and will make sure they have power cards for the first session (have to do themes manually, but no big deal)
  • I know a battle map and minis is absolutely mandatory and have them ready to go.
  • I was planning to use intrinsic bonuses out of the gate, but don't have a position on if I should hand out free feats for the feat taxes - I figure I might give this a miss as the AP's encounters will be balanced around by the book characters.

I'm still boning up on the rules but I've run a couple of 1 v 1 fights to make sure I get the basics.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 30, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure everything is balanced around characters taking the feat tax feats, actually.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure everything is balanced around characters taking the feat tax feats, actually.

Sorry, to be clear, by that I meant 'do I just hand out improved defences and expertise for free, or do I make them spend a feat to take them?' - I was planning on going with forcing them to spend a feat, rather than giving people 2 free feats.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm going to be running my first 4E game next week -what tips would you give me going in/focus on prep areas

• I have zero hands on experience with 4E
  • I've got a bunch of DMing experience of other D&D games and *world games
  • Players experience with 4E is minimal, but they are all long time D&Ders - we're currently playing a 5E game together and the bland combat is the trigger for this
  • I'm going to run the Zeitgeist campaign
  • I've got the players on the character builder and will make sure they have power cards for the first session (have to do themes manually, but no big deal)
  • I know a battle map and minis is absolutely mandatory and have them ready to go.
  • I was planning to use intrinsic bonuses out of the gate, but don't have a position on if I should hand out free feats for the feat taxes - I figure I might give this a miss as the AP's encounters will be balanced around by the book characters.

I'm still boning up on the rules but I've run a couple of 1 v 1 fights to make sure I get the basics.

Fair warning you'll do rolling dice in 1v1 but it'll be absolutely nothing like a party. Teamwork's important and influential in the game, so a 1v1 will have none of the complexity or strategy of 4v4.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Sorry, to be clear, by that I meant 'do I just hand out improved defences and expertise for free, or do I make them spend a feat to take them?' - I was planning on going with forcing them to spend a feat, rather than giving people 2 free feats.
Give them the free feats. All they do is fix broken math.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Hand it out for free. By "balanced" we mean "the maths is designed in such a way that it assumes everyone has them," so there's no reason to make them actually pay precious feat slots on those.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep, thirding 'give them free feats'. CB can handle this. And give them '+1 feat bonus to hit across the board' rather than with specific gear. Just watch the scaling on non-implement/weapon powers, inclusive of any bonuses to hit they should wind up at (iirc) +3/6/9 vs NAD and +4/8/12 vs AC.

CB(Loader) can also handle themes and I THINK someone made an add-on for the zeitgeist ones at some point.

And note that there are some of the expertise feats people will still want to take because they're good even without the bonus to hit - especially Staff, 2HW, Light Blade, Crossbow.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yep, thirding 'give them free feats'. CB can handle this. And give them '+1 feat bonus to hit across the board' rather than with specific gear. Just watch the scaling on non-implement/weapon powers, inclusive of any bonuses to hit they should wind up at (iirc) +3/6/9 vs NAD and +4/8/12 vs AC.

CB(Loader) can also handle themes and I THINK someone made an add-on for the zeitgeist ones at some point.

And note that there are some of the expertise feats people will still want to take because they're good even without the bonus to hit - especially Staff, 2HW, Light Blade, Crossbow.

To easy - the consensus seems to be something like you are proposing (which seems to be basically 'give everyone master at arms for free') or an expertise feat at level 1, and improved defences (or similar) at level 5 so I will go with that.

Anything else?

Edit: I've found CB loader and am currently trying to work out how to get it to go.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 30, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The other thing to note would be do not fuss about minor actions to draw and sheathe stuff. If they want to open the door or drink a potion, by RAW a Paladin has to basically spend a full round doing it - free to drop sword, minor to pull potion, minor to drink potion, minor to pick up sword.

Which is dumb as poo poo, don't do it. In general, if something is an action of any sort to do, assume it's that action to do all the admin AND do it. So, drink a potion, minor action. Pour a potion down someone's throat, standard action, open a door, minor action, etc, whatever your gear loadout.

In general, don't nitpick small details. Arrows, XP, gold, minor actions, none of these really need to be tracked most of the time - gold needs tracking on the macro scale, but past about 5th level, don't micromanage individual GPs.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Looks like the WotC forum shutdown has been delayed for one week.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

wallawallawingwang posted:

TBZ is great players are immortal unless they tic their death box nothing can kill them they can fall from the highest mountain break all of their bones and rupture every organ and they only fall unconcious

also there is a "death spiral" only instead of going down it goes up, the closer someone comes to death the more they show their true power getting bonuses to hit and damage and ofcourse the best buff of all comes when they tic the death box

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

In general, don't nitpick small details. Arrows, XP, gold, minor actions, none of these really need to be tracked most of the time - gold needs tracking on the macro scale, but past about 5th level, don't micromanage individual GPs.

Yeah, I've never really bothered before (other than GP) and the setup for Zeitgeist (you are the police) offers a perfect opportunity to tip that out the back as well. Good tip about the actions though, that is pretty ridiculous.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

LightWarden posted:

Looks like the WotC forum shutdown has been delayed for one week.

WotC is so bad at tech stuff they can't even close their forums down properly?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Looks like it. They already killed the bulk of the CharOp posts in the 4e section (the only one I really bothered with any more anyway) but the forums are still up and accepting new input.

Lol.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Is there a reason they couldn't close the forums but leave what was there in an archived form?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
wotc is bad at forums

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Red Metal posted:

wotc is bad

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

To easy - the consensus seems to be something like you are proposing (which seems to be basically 'give everyone master at arms for free') or an expertise feat at level 1, and improved defences (or similar) at level 5 so I will go with that.

Anything else?

Edit: I've found CB loader and am currently trying to work out how to get it to go.
The way I do it is let them take as many instances of Versatile Expertise as they want. It keeps things fairly simple.

And theoretically none of this math stuff actually starts to fall behind until midway through each tier, so if you wanted to keep from overloading your players you can save it until a story appropriate time down the road.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've seen posts recommending giving expertise at lvl5 and defence at lvl7

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd be inclined to chuck them both on at 5.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Level 5 feels Important, so it works well there. Especially if you work them in as a storyline reward, hides that it's just another part of the Red Queen's Race.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I thought that 5, 15, and 25 are the points in the monster math where the extra +1s are supposed to go, they just did it by tier because then you can't take a feat at level 1 that does literally nothing..

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

5/15/25 are the right points.

The feats used to scale at those levels, then they published new ones in Essentials which scaled at 1/11/21, and errated the other ones to scale the same way eventually.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
No lie, I don't see the problem in giving the feat taxes up front. We worry about the slog that 4e combat can become, so it's not like that extra 5% to hit won't move things along better.

The real question I have is how does everyone deal with the expertise feats? I know some people give out Versatile Expertise or just the flat bonuses instead of the Essentials weapon or class-specific ones since those generally have extra benefits besides the scaling bonus, but considering how tight feat slots can get and how great a lot of them are, I feel like we're still looking at a kind of a tax, especially since 4e prefers it if you stick with one kind of weapon throughout your career.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm inclined to give the bonuses only, and if they want to use the side bennies of the Expertise feats, they take the feat for it.

Several of them are VERY worth it.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm inclined to give the bonuses only, and if they want to use the side bennies of the Expertise feats, they take the feat for it.

Several of them are VERY worth it.

I suppose that's fair. One the one hand you've got things like Spear Expertise or Light Blade Expertise which give you a scaling bonus to specific attacks, which I can take or leave, but on the other hand you got poo poo like Flail Expertise which straight up turns slides into prones. Some I feel like you should let the player have, though, like the Artificer's crossbow expertise feat which while giving them the equivalent of the Free Load feat still requires a whole other feat (Crossbow Caster) to even pick it up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Staff Expertise is the semi-broken one IMO. Just outright ignoring provokes is HUGE.

But yeah, Flail is also pretty uber.

Crossbow Artificers got super-hosed on Expertise IIRC.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mecha Gojira posted:

No lie, I don't see the problem in giving the feat taxes up front. We worry about the slog that 4e combat can become, so it's not like that extra 5% to hit won't move things along better.
Yeah, there's no real problem with it. And in an experienced group it's probably what I'd do. But if you've got a group that's new to RPGs or even just to 4e, I've found that frontloading a bunch of extra "this is what the internet told me to do" rules can be a little overwhelming/offputting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Some of them are super lukewarm though, I can't remember off the top of my head but I think Holy Symbol Expertise was kind of terrible, which is why the Hybrid expertises were such a boon.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Sling Expertise also prevents provoking, but only rogues tend to have a use for slings and most ranged rogues might use daggers or hand crossbows instead.

Heavy Blade Expertise is one of my least favorites, since it's a whopping +2 to defenses vs. OAs, which you shouldn't really be provoking as a heavy blade user unless you're charging, and there are items for that.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

The real question I have is how does everyone deal with the expertise feats? I know some people give out Versatile Expertise or just the flat bonuses instead of the Essentials weapon or class-specific ones since those generally have extra benefits besides the scaling bonus, but considering how tight feat slots can get and how great a lot of them are, I feel like we're still looking at a kind of a tax, especially since 4e prefers it if you stick with one kind of weapon throughout your career.

I just let them add on whichever Expertise feat they want.

Honestly, what I'm doing with one of my campaigns is giving the players five bonus feats at level 1 (obviously don't do this with a fully new group). Three of those are "noncombat" feats that they can use to fill out stuff like Ritual Caster or other random small flavorful but otherwise RP building feats. Two of those are "combat" feats that they can use to grab two free from whichever of Expertise, Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus, Improved Defenses, and Multiclass feats they want. The intent is to cut down on the "well, I need this pile of feat slots just to complete my basic character concept" at low levels.

Seriously, a level 5 character has 3 feat slots. If you want a non-standard weapon (especially a +2 proficiency one), that's Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Group Expertise, and Improved Defenses just to bring yourself up to par. That leaves no room for anything actually interesting and different, which is a huge problem if your group's gone through a lot of intentionally or unintentionally one shot characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

LightWarden posted:

Sling Expertise also prevents provoking, but only rogues tend to have a use for slings and most ranged rogues might use daggers or hand crossbows instead.

Heavy Blade Expertise is one of my least favorites, since it's a whopping +2 to defenses vs. OAs, which you shouldn't really be provoking as a heavy blade user unless you're charging, and there are items for that.

I feel the same way about Heavy Blade expertise as well, but fortunately there are others to pick up that are much better like Devout Protector Expertise for Paladins or just straight up Two-handed expertise for your Fullblade chargers.

And yeah, our groups generally just gave any expertise feat for free as well as Improved Defenses; but I have noticed some tables do it differently and I don't necessarily disagree with it.

Between plain expertise scaling and no dragon marks, though, some tables do make my favorite cheap broken build harder: Mark of Storm Flail Expertise Spiked Chain Training Cleric/Ranger Hybrid (Blade Dancer Paragon Path). That's okay, though, let's me focus on crit-fishing in Paragon (Hello, two-weapon opening and Jagged Weapon/Melegaunt's Dark Blade).