Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

He was just getting his batteries replaced this basho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

The real Hakuho died almost 10 years ago because his oyakata beat him with a baseball bat. To cover it up a succession of rikishi have gotten plastic surgery to appear as Hakuho. The most recent Hakuho has bionic implants taken from the Roswell crash, thus why he is so dominant.

:vince:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Did anyone read that article that Kintamayama sent as his newsletter? I always found it fishy when I go to sumo that the "sold out" banners are unfurled when there are clearly a large number of seats empty. This article explained that.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/ghetto_stone/status/655942246580097024/video/1

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Similar premise, but with some recognizable faces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPDY534sys

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Apparently Baruto is joining a cooky new MMA promotion starting Dec 29, I'll post links when I get home

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Banzuke

code:
Kakuryu		Y	Hakuho
Harumafuji   	Y2    
Terunofuji     	O	Kisenosato
Kotoshogiku    	O2    	Goeido
Tochiozan    	S    	Myogiryu
Tochinoshin    	K    	Yoshikaze
Ichinojo    	M1    	Osunaarashi
Aoiyama        	M2    	Okinoumi
Toyonoshima    	M3    	Aminishiki
Ikioi        	M4    	Endo
Amuru        	M5    	Sadanoumi
Kotoyuki    	M6    	Homarefuji
Kaisei        	M7    	Kyokushuho
Tokushoryu    	M8    	Takarafuji
Tamawashi    	M9    	Sadanofuji
Sokokurai    	M10    	Shohozan
Gagamaru    	M11    	Mitakeumi
Takekaze    	M12    	Takayasu
Chiyotairyu   	M13    	Toyohibiki
Daieisho    	M14    	Tokitenku
Kitataiki    	M15    	Chiyootori
Asasekiryu    	M16    
Osunaarashi snubbed for M1e. Amuru may have just got out of having to fight all the sanyaku to start the basho.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Diplomat posted:

Banzuke

code:
Kakuryu		Y	Hakuho
Harumafuji   	Y2    
Terunofuji     	O	Kisenosato
Kotoshogiku    	O2    	Goeido
Tochiozan    	S    	Myogiryu
Tochinoshin    	K    	Yoshikaze
Ichinojo    	M1    	Osunaarashi
Aoiyama        	M2    	Okinoumi
Toyonoshima    	M3    	Aminishiki
Ikioi        	M4    	Endo
Amuru        	M5    	Sadanoumi
Kotoyuki    	M6    	Homarefuji
Kaisei        	M7    	Kyokushuho
Tokushoryu    	M8    	Takarafuji
Tamawashi    	M9    	Sadanofuji
Sokokurai    	M10    	Shohozan
Gagamaru    	M11    	Mitakeumi
Takekaze    	M12    	Takayasu
Chiyotairyu   	M13    	Toyohibiki
Daieisho    	M14    	Tokitenku
Kitataiki    	M15    	Chiyootori
Asasekiryu    	M16    
Osunaarashi snubbed for M1e. Amuru may have just got out of having to fight all the sanyaku to start the basho.

Even though I think healthy osunaarashi is going to make it sooner or later, nsk is covering themselves and hoping ichinojo jams up sanyaku and they won't have to bump up osunaarashis retirement

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Jam posted:

Even though I think healthy osunaarashi is going to make it sooner or later, nsk is covering themselves and hoping ichinojo jams up sanyaku and they won't have to bump up osunaarashis retirement inevitable promotion to Ozeki

Ftfy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Uncle Jam posted:

...Sumo Talk...

I like reading Sumo Talk, just for the crazy. Plus, they actually can have some good analysis - when not crapping on about yao cho.

That said, my favorite recent crazy is this:

Mike Wesemann posted:

I believe Takarafuji is currently being used as a pawn by his stable master to compensate for the Isegahama-beya having two Mongolian Yokozuna. Remember, the rule is in place that each stable can only have one foreign rikishi, but when the Magaki-beya was dissolved, they had to merge it with Isegahama, and so out of nowhere Terunofuji just fell into Isegahama's lap.

I'm basing this speculation on my knowledge of Japanese culture, but I believe Isegahama feels guilty for having two dominate foreigners in the current landscape of sumo (the best term in Japanese for this guilty feeling would be "moushi wake nai." As a result of his owning 50% of the dominant group in sumo, I believe he is trying to compensate for that by giving up wins through his other rikishi. There's no doubt that Terunofuji and Harumafuji will also defer in key bouts, but I think Takarafuji has gotten caught in the middle of the politics surrounding sumo.

...largely because I'm fond of Takarafuji and wish he'd be more aggressive.

Osunaarashi has improved incredibly over this year. Once he figures he doesn't need to be slappy-slappy and can wrestle well on the on the belt, he'll be nigh unstoppable.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Elissimpark posted:

Osunaarashi has improved incredibly over this year. Once he figures he doesn't need to be slappy-slappy and can wrestle well on the on the belt, he'll be nigh unstoppable.

i want to believe

seriously i think he has been great and is trending up but so many other guys in the last few years have plateaued around this level. i really hope that doesn't happen for him.

also i think i mentioned this before and it might have been linked, but here's his post on sumoforum from 2009 looking to get hooked up with a stable http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19091#entry178894

pretty cool

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

a false posted:

i want to believe

seriously i think he has been great and is trending up but so many other guys in the last few years have plateaued around this level. i really hope that doesn't happen for him.

also i think i mentioned this before and it might have been linked, but here's his post on sumoforum from 2009 looking to get hooked up with a stable http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19091#entry178894

pretty cool

He's only been in two joi jin basho where he didn't pull out due to injury, I wouldnt get antsy yet.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Holy gently caress those videos are the best thing ever. I cannot believe Toyonoshima did not finish last, and who knew that Sadanoumi could motor like that.

a false posted:

That couldn't possibly be because not every upper maegashira is destined for sanyaku. :rolleyes:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I like Oosunaraashi. I'm not sure he does very well against sanyaku and higher ranks.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

a false posted:

pretty cool

That is pretty cool.

Kanthulhu posted:

I like Oosunaraashi. I'm not sure he does very well against sanyaku and higher ranks.

He doesn't at the moment, but his matches in the last basho against the top of the banzuke were pretty solid. While he lost most of them, it looks like he's slowly figuring out how to fight at that level.

Also, for a bit of pointless fun, you can "cheer" for your favorite rikishi on the Japanese NSK website:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/ouen/ranking/all

You can cheer for 3 wrestlers a day. Its obviously in Japanese but its fairly obvious what you need to do. I like being puzzled by who is the most popular - Tamawashi and Sadanoumi did well last basho.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 1 is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9JHV0Dh0i4

I always forget when the bashos start and it ends up being a nice surprise for me.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

An excellent start for Yoshikaze. Feeling a bit disappointed in Kakuryu though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Osunaarashi may be the only Egyptian sumotori, but Terunofuji is the only mummy competing this basho.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the reminder - forgot it was basho time already.

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_M07u0EJZc

E: Hey, Shohozan! I missed that little sparkplug.

This Mitakeumi fellow intrigues me. After Endo and Ichinojo's glorious entry into makuuchi, I wonder if unbound hair = great first record.

Man, Terunofuji doesn't look right. Definitely still hurt.

Yoshikaze :stare:

Oosunaarashi :staredog:

And we're down to three unbeaten guys after only two days? This is going to be one of those wacky bashos, isn't it?

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Osunaarashi :black101:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Typically the guys that don't have the top knot haven't been in professional sumo long, and have won one of the big amateur tournaments, allowing them to bypass most of the lower ranks.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yoshikaze really has been drat good against his betters lately. Nice twist at the edge there to take that bout.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Tamawashi by quick oshiwashi. Didn't even need a grip on the mawashi.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Tamawashi by quick oshiwashi. Didn't even need a grip on the mawashi.

Moti, is that you?

Hakuho wasn't exactly dominant in those first two performances, but he also went against the two rikishi that most resemble a concrete wall. Jury's still out on whether or not he's going to waltz to the yusho or if this one will be anyone's again. Giku looks as healthy as he has ever looked, so this might be the best first two days he'll ever see - 2 yokozunae already 1-1 and an ozeki who is still obviously hurt.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Didn't see the manin onrei banners tonight, sad to see the streak of full houses come to an end.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

No zabutons went flying for Osunaarashi's win. Are they nailed down in Fukuoka?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afjzGao5LNY
Osunaarashi continues to impress against the top wrestlers.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The fix is in

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4URNyATAXI

E: I had Kisenosato-Tochinoshin pegged for MOTN... until that final match.

Slick reversal by Harumafuji on Ichinojo after looking like he was getting overpowered.

WTF Hakuho!? :psyduck:

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 11, 2015

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Do we think Henkuho was deliberate? It almost looked like he was disappointed in himself

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

Tsaedje posted:

Do we think Henkuho was deliberate? It almost looked like he was disappointed in himself

I don't know how it couldn't be deliberate. I think he looked disappointed because he thought his opponent would put up more of a fight.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kinda looked like he was going for a Harumafuji half-henka, expecting Yoshikaze to hit him, but not as hard. He looked surprised when Yoshikaze hit the deck.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
It's easy to see Yoshikaze was standing very low before the taichi-ai and was looking downwards. He was asking to get henkaed.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yoshikaze basically just dove at the tachi-ai, hard to blame Hakuho for simply allowing him to fall on his face.

Also, they might as well just give Osunaarashi the fighting spirit award now, his matches have been crazy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 5: http://youtu.be/bc-vJEfxeMo

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 5 was pretty standard.

Good moves by myogiryu and yoshikaze.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFAzzIaWzE

E:

Shohozan throwing guys around and Kisenosato going all tsuppari :psyboom:

Looks like Amuuru's slow rise up the ranks is going to stall out here.

FINALLY Ichinojo does something this basho.

Kakuryu's been awfully shaky so far.

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 13, 2015

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYuc2EDtTQ

amazing day

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just when you think you have Hakuho beat, he pulls an incredibly rare technique out of his rear end to win.

I'm still in awe at that finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Wow, best day by far. That Gagamaru bodyslam. That insane Hakuho slam :black101: