Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sonicor and Tonkor will both be finished when I get home from work. It's like Christmas in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

kalstrams posted:

I see, I did lose at reading. Thanks for clarifying! :eng99:
Also whoa at our pseudo space-mom, she's like a crazy old cat lady.

To be fair, the way that bit is worded is wrong. The sentients could assimilate advanced tech. They did not assimilate the Tenno (not possible at all since Tenno use void energu which is poison to the Sentients), Lotus just convinced the Tenno to kill the Orokin. The Tenno likely agreed because the Orokin have a lovely track record when dealing with slaves (and my personal suspicion is that the Tenno were gonna be the new Corrupted. I think that because Frost Prime's helmet looks like the thing the Corrupted wear).
But then Lotus felt bad for the Tenno and decided to become their surrogate mom so she betrayed the Sentients and yadee yadee yada.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So what happens to Penta when you put Shred on it? Does it apply to the projectile or to the blast or both?

E: Do skins for things like Penta and Marelok apply to Secura Penta and Vaykor Marelok?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Tulip posted:

So what happens to Penta when you put Shred on it? Does it apply to the projectile or to the blast or both?

E: Do skins for things like Penta and Marelok apply to Secura Penta and Vaykor Marelok?

I have no idea about Shred, but I'm pretty sure the skins can be applied, yes.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

To be fair, the way that bit is worded is wrong. The sentients could assimilate advanced tech. They did not assimilate the Tenno (not possible at all since Tenno use void energu which is poison to the Sentients), Lotus just convinced the Tenno to kill the Orokin. The Tenno likely agreed because the Orokin have a lovely track record when dealing with slaves (and my personal suspicion is that the Tenno were gonna be the new Corrupted. I think that because Frost Prime's helmet looks like the thing the Corrupted wear).
But then Lotus felt bad for the Tenno and decided to become their surrogate mom so she betrayed the Sentients and yadee yadee yada.

Oh, so Tenno weren't borged, they actually agreed with the Sentients, which were then going to backstab them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordja posted:

I don't care how feasible it is, the Sybaris is the most stylish weapon in the entire game.

The Sybaris is great, yes. It's also a primary weapon, though, so not applicable here.

Anyway, for secondaries, I still stand by the Akbronco and its Prime version. Single Broncos are lackluster, but you may as well level one while waiting for the second to build if you're going for the Akbronco.

Nickiepoo posted:

Oh, so Tenno weren't borged, they actually agreed with the Sentients, which were then going to backstab them.

I don't know exactly how it went down personally (I wasn't aware the Sentients were involved in convincing the Tenno to betray the Orokin, for example), but, given that the Tenno were created through horrible experimentation (Ember Prime's codex entry has her being a child when she's doing horrible flame-stuff, so the Orokin were experimenting on kids, among other things) it's really easy to see how and why they'd turn on the Orokin, with or without outsiders trying to convince them to do such.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 29, 2015

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Roland Jones posted:

The Sybaris is great, yes. It's also a primary weapon, though, so not applicable here.

Anyway, for secondaries, I still stand by the Akbronco and its Prime version. Single Broncos are lackluster, but you may as well level one while waiting for the second to build if you're going for the Akbronco.

Oh whoops, I didn't realize he only wanted secondaries.

In which case +1 for the Atomos, especially if you have mods that extend it's spread. loving ridiculous.

Would the regular Marelock be worth building or should he just trade/grind for the Vaykor?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sentients themselves lost to the Infected, right?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Thranguy posted:

What about the Ancients? Is there a 'thing that the Ancients were before they got infested" that has to be accounted for somehwere?

It says they're some kind of cybernetic thing called a Lorist, which Orokin tended to look down their noses at but were happy to use. It's not really clear if Lorist is a rank, species, genetically engineered whatever...

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Alaan posted:

So what buyable/clan secondary should I be grabbing now. Love the Sonicor but it is at 30, got all the flavors of Kunai, twin grakatas and gremlins as well as the stug.

My favorite sidearms are the Akvasto and the Akjagara. The former are handier and more versatile, the latter are more powerful and satisfying.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

kalstrams posted:

No, the Orokin tried and failed to use them against the Sentients.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Tulip posted:

It should apply to the projectile, so it will pop through the target and then do whatever. Tonkors go through instead of exploding on impact last time i fiddled with it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Cathair posted:

The Orokin did have their own Orokin military- Mag Prime's codex entry is from the perspective of an Orokin soldier in a 'zero-tech' squad formed out of desperation. Then the Moa lore entry basically says that Corpus robots are a pale imitation of what the Orokin had. It seems that the Orokin had a stupendously high-tech military based largely on robotics and autonomous weapons, which is why they were super hosed when the sentients were able to assimilate all their poo poo.
Also those Dax dudes who keep coming up in the Synthesis entries.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

No, the Orokin tried and failed to use them against the Sentients.
I'm not sure I get this part then:

quote:

In their desperation the orokin unleash something the sentients cannot adapt to. An ever changing mass of writhing untamed horror that is the infestation. A grotesque basterdisation of the process that created the warframes. It works, but it works too well and begins spreading unchecked through the remaining strongholds of the empire.
Do we even know where are the majority of the Sentients?

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Nothing yet indicates that they did, no. There is no precise timeline here but we know that the Infested were created as weapons during the Old War, while the Tenno were the final weapon in the Old War, and the Orokin credited the Tenno with final victory over the Sentients (just before the Tenno turned on them).

Strategic Tea posted:

It says they're some kind of cybernetic thing called a Lorist, which Orokin tended to look down their noses at but were happy to use. It's not really clear if Lorist is a rank, species, genetically engineered whatever...

It's not explicitly stated but it's heavily implied that they're human. Re-read the Corrupted Ancient entry: the way the Lorist focal character describes things, it seems like they have the same biology, but they make the beautiful, symmetry-obsessed Orokin uncomfortable due to the node stuck in their temples and the cybernetic poo poo running under their skin. The character also explicitly states that Lorists are cloned and modified for the purpose of interfacing with the 'Lora device'. So basically, they're an engineered Orokin servant caste.

It mentions that there's combat Lorists in addition to healers, which is probably where Ancient Disruptors etc come from.

Also, at the end the character can feel the psychic connection to their infested twin coming from many places at once, so that explains why we keep running into Ancients when there would otherwise be an exhaustable supply of them: they're being constantly replicated, it's not like every one is literally a turned Lorist from ancient times.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cathair posted:

Nothing yet indicates that they did, no. There is no precise timeline here but we know that the Infested were created as weapons during the Old War, while the Tenno were the final weapon in the Old War, and the Orokin credited the Tenno with final victory over the Sentients (just before the Tenno turned on them).
Oh, I see. This whole Old War thing is getting a bit convoluted with the bare bits of information given.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm waiting for it to turn out that the Orokin started it in the first place because of the Sentients taking human form being abhorrent to them, or something.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
It's also possible that the Infested would have been a threat to the Sentients, but the Orokin basically had no way to direct them so they sort of spread randomly and all the Sentients had to do is avoid them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Basically just go with whatever canon you think is coolest, because DE caught Capcoms' Constant Retcon Syndrome and keeps changing poo poo.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

kalstrams posted:

I'm not sure I get this part then:

Do we even know where are the majority of the Sentients?

He's just wrong about that part. That's part of the timeline that he got mixed up.

As for where the sentients are, we have no idea what happened out in the Tau system. I think something somewhere said that the Outer Terminus rail at Pluto was originally destroyed to keep them out of the Origin system, so for all we know there might be a whole other solar system, or even many systems, teeming with Sentients.

Fish Noise posted:

I'm waiting for it to turn out that the Orokin started it in the first place because of the Sentients taking human form being abhorrent to them, or something.

Yeah, probably. Cf. Ordis' line about "I remember there were lies, but I'm not sure what they were."

Will be disappointed as usual if/when that turns out to be the case, though- there's already enough laid at the feet of the Orokin. Don't get me wrong, I always liked the idea of them as cold, ruthless rulers grown supremely arrogant in their technological mastery of space and time. It's just that, like I said the last time we had lorechat, fictional worlds don't feel realistic or alive when a single villainous actor is responsible for literally every bad thing that happens. That's a cheap crutch for bad writers.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 29, 2015

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Cathair posted:

Will be disappointed as usual if/when that turns out to be the case, though- there's already enough laid at the feet of the Orokin. Don't get me wrong, I always liked the idea of them as cold, ruthless rulers grown supremely arrogant in their technological mastery of space and time. It's just that, like I said the last time we had lorechat, fictional worlds don't feel realistic or alive when a single villainous actor is responsible for literally every bad thing that happens.

I don't get this objection - I mean, if you were to describe real history it would be "ugh why are human kings and presidents behind everything." The Orokin are the ruling elite in human society in a time where technology is capable of making the lower classes literally a different species, and the setting has no aliens that we know of.

Based on the crewman lore entry with the debating execution council it seems likely there were competing factions among the Orokin as well, but the remnants of civilization either don't know the details, or the Tenno don't really give a poo poo about making distinctions. I have a feeling this Orokin moon thing will shed some light on the internals of the Orokin caste.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The Infested where almost wiped out at some point, the once awake questline explains why the infested are back. My guess is that the infested survived in the derelicts after the great war, and the grineer took samples back after encountering them there.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

I don't get this objection - I mean, if you were to describe real history it would be "ugh why are human kings and presidents behind everything." The Orokin are the ruling elite in human society in a time where technology is capable of making the lower classes literally a different species, and the setting has no aliens that we know of.

Based on the crewman lore entry with the debating execution council it seems likely there were competing factions among the Orokin as well, but the remnants of civilization either don't know the details, or the Tenno don't really give a poo poo about making distinctions. I have a feeling this Orokin moon thing will shed some light on the internals of the Orokin caste.

At any point in real history, there are multiple human kings and presidents behind everything. Also, half the time they aren't even the prime movers behind world-shaking events, there are a bewildering number of groups with their own interests muddling up the grand scheme.

By contrast, as Warframe's lore gets more fleshed out, it seems to be moving toward a convergence point of "Oh no, the Grinch did it again" at the root of all problems. To be fair, most video game stories are like this, but most video game stories are god-awful, and I liked the old Warframe lore because it implies a scenario a little different from the common run in a variety of ways. It's slightly disappointing to see it sink a little closer to the garbo standard, that's all.

I like stories where there's a third (or even fourth) party getting in everyone's way for their own ends while having nothing to do with the Big Bad. In general, I like stories where the cause-and-effect of plot-driving events can't be contained in a neat little two-sentence terrarium, where it feels like there's a whole world out there existing for its own sake, and the clash between protagonist and antagonist is ultimately just another part of the scenery rather than the center of the universe. :shrug:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Basically the Infested were happier to infect living being rather than fight biomechanical dudes. :v:

EDIT: I think what DE is going for is a decadent race that becomes a victim of its own success. So they throw a ton of projects at the wall and hope something sticks. From these, we get the present day factions, each with their own motivations.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 29, 2015

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah Orokin doing everything is less like rich powerful men being behind everything, and more like if specifically Roman emperors were behind everything including things happening in China and things a thousand years in the future.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Well, if the Roman Emperors were the only game in town and/or had wiped out every other contender in the past and destroyed all traces of them, then everything would link back to them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

Oh whoops, I didn't realize he only wanted secondaries.

In which case +1 for the Atomos, especially if you have mods that extend it's spread. loving ridiculous.

Would the regular Marelock be worth building or should he just trade/grind for the Vaykor?

The Marelok is supposed to be a cut-down Grinlok to look like the Mare's Leg from the 50's show Wanted: Dead or Alive.

Because of how sniper rifles work in this game, this is a massive improvement.

The Marelok is a very good gun, the Vaykor Marelok is a straight upgrade, except where stealth is required, as Syndicate procs that do not kill a dude outright will set enemies on alert.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The Grinlok isn't even a sniper rifle. It's a status gun.

Even with the syndi crit mod it's more like a Latron Wraith/Prime with far less ammo/mag and damage.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 29, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Warframe. A game where a bow and arrow and a grenade launcher are superior sniper weapons.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

metasynthetic posted:

Gavrilo Princip, John Wilkes Booth, Osama Bin Laden, Lee Harvey Oswald, ever one Julius Caesar spared during Romes civil war with Pompey. All of these people have had major impacts on history. Even though none of them were kings or presidents.
Next time you don't understand something just ask, instead of demonstrating your ignorance in another topic.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Sazabi posted:

Gavrilo Princip, John Wilkes Booth, Osama Bin Laden, Lee Harvey Oswald, ever one Julius Caesar spared during Romes civil war with Pompey. All of these people have had major impacts on history. Even though none of them were kings or presidents.
Next time you don't understand something just ask, instead of demonstrating your ignorance in another topic.

This is the most embarrassing post I have ever seen

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Sazabi posted:

:what:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

It's pretty good, though I'm torn between Schadenfreude and SA Quotes threads. :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Synnr posted:

It should apply to the projectile, so it will pop through the target and then do whatever. Tonkors go through instead of exploding on impact last time i fiddled with it.

That's what I thought.

I've got like a rank 4 heavy caliber in my Penta and it doesn't seem to have had any negative effects whatsoever. Am I just being crazy or does Penta retain perfect accuracy?

Cicadalek posted:

:agreed:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sazabi posted:

badass posts itt lol :bravo:

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Tulip posted:

That's what I thought.

I've got like a rank 4 heavy caliber in my Penta and it doesn't seem to have had any negative effects whatsoever. Am I just being crazy or does Penta retain perfect accuracy?

:agreed:

Even the lowered accuracy value is still much higher than most weapon's base accuracy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

kalstrams posted:

It's pretty good, though I'm torn between Schadenfreude and SA Quotes threads. :v:

I'd go for both, because god drat, Sazabi.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The new raid is pretty silly. First you have to play giant tumor soccer to get to the main bit of the map which is pretty awful. Then you have to harvest a pile of poo poo to make a clan research thing. THEN you need 500 more of that poo poo to make an item with a 24h build time that takes 2 Tellurium. Luckily that item lasts for ever and is not a one shot.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

SSNeoman posted:

Basically the Infested were happier to infect living being rather than fight biomechanical dudes. :v:

EDIT: I think what DE is going for is a decadent race that becomes a victim of its own success. So they throw a ton of projects at the wall and hope something sticks. From these, we get the present day factions, each with their own motivations.

It's not even the usual lazy scifi story of a stupid yet powerful enpire kept making the same mistake. The only major mistake they made was not making enough failsafe for the Sentients. Remember they made them vulnerable to void energy on purpose, so the AI won't turn against them since they have no Orokin to supervise them. The cephalons are probably precursors to Sentient mind and we already see how they can be unstable.

The Grineer was just a fluke. If the rebellion happened during the Orokin's normal age then it would've been suppressed immediately. Instead it happened right when the empire was collapsing and had the help of an actual Orokin high rank so that they could make use of Orokin infrastructure. Also the Grineer didn't form into an actual empire until the Twin Queens came into power.

The Tenno was not even a fluke. They got compromised probably in a way the Orokin didn't foresee. The Sentients are allergic to them so they cannot control them, but they got their loyalty severed by the Lotus. Now I wonder if the Lotus was the one telling them they could switch warframes or if Tenno could do that since the start. It's a big deal if someone told you you're essentially immortal and could switch bodies but your boss won't tell you so they could kill you.

The Corpus is not even a fluke but more like a cargo cult, copying the Orokin and cosplaying as fusion cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I liked Hellgate london alot and wanted to try this out, the lore seems like its something from E.Y.E and im confused as all hell, but i'll just keep killing stuff.