Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
When someone fires a gun into the air to get another persons attention. Yes, it makes a loud noise, but bullets do come down (and, for that matter, occasionally hurt people in the process). Doubly so when the person doing the shooting is the 'good guy', trying to avoid actually shooting the 'bad guy', while standing in a field of dirt/grass/sand/anything you could safely fire a bullet into a few meters from you and still get your point across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nexus6 posted:

If that was so why were they surprised to see the pyramids when they landed?

Because "they" weren't told about them. Weyland knew where he was going, but kept everyone else in the dark about everything.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MonoAus posted:

This is exactly the point. None of the characters believe David has emotions because he's a machine. However, it's suggested to the audience that he is developing a real conciousness and isn't being treated as an equal to his creators.

Really it's left open as to if David has real feelings or is just really good at mirroring our own.

I think the point is that humans treat their creation exactly as unthinkingly as the Engineers treat theirs. It's like whoa, this complex organism that I have created in my image is starting to behave like me as per spec, better call it an rear end in a top hat!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MonoAus posted:

This is exactly the point. None of the characters believe David has emotions because he's a machine. However, it's suggested to the audience that he is developing a real conciousness and isn't being treated as an equal to his creators.

Really it's left open as to if David has real feelings or is just really good at mirroring our own.

Exactly. It would be like getting worried that you insulted your computer or car. In their world androids are just machines

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grendels Dad posted:

I think the point is that humans treat their creation exactly as unthinkingly as the Engineers treat theirs. It's like whoa, this complex organism that I have created in my image is starting to behave like me as per spec, better call it an rear end in a top hat!

Yeah I was about to say this, the humans treating the android poorly and then the engineers treating the humans poorly is one of the few strong messages / themes the movie has going for it.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
My irrationally irritating Prometheus moment is in the Weyland Ted speech video. He smugly mentions that T.E Lawrence anecdote like it's some obscure piece of trivia.

I hadn't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet, so imagine my surprise when that moment is literally like in the first ten minutes.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

ducttape posted:

When someone fires a gun into the air to get another persons attention. Yes, it makes a loud noise, but bullets do come down (and, for that matter, occasionally hurt people in the process). Doubly so when the person doing the shooting is the 'good guy', trying to avoid actually shooting the 'bad guy', while standing in a field of dirt/grass/sand/anything you could safely fire a bullet into a few meters from you and still get your point across.

Depends on the angle. Shooting a bullet into the ground and it's likely to ricochet or skid.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

ducttape posted:

Yeah but you might end up shooting the Invisible Swordsman and then you're screwed.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

rydiafan posted:

One time he was defeated by bees, dude. loving bees.

It's a show about a guy who can run fast enough to travel through time, yet he often struggles to beat dudes with ray guns.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mister Nobody posted:

My irrationally irritating Prometheus moment is in the Weyland Ted speech video. He smugly mentions that T.E Lawrence anecdote like it's some obscure piece of trivia.

I hadn't seen Lawrence of Arabia yet, so imagine my surprise when that moment is literally like in the first ten minutes.

Meh, it's thousands years in the future. Lawrence could well be forgotten by then. Then again, that's pretty irrational.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Prometheus took place in like 2090 or so.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HairyManling posted:

Prometheus took place in like 2090 or so.

2089 according to wiki which is dumb as gently caress, c'mon Riddles

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
David was deliberately designed to understand and display human emotions to make it easier for the human crew to interact with him. Though he's not supposed to feel them himself. David's ambiguous emotional capacities are a pretty deliberate part of the film. For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWmbqH_z7jM

That said, by the end of the film he's acting like a complete sociopath and his creepy spitefulness clearly seems to be an emotional response to the abuse he's had to put up with. David's character is the best part of Prometheus.

Idris Elba wheeling with his accordion is also pretty great.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

2089 according to wiki which is dumb as gently caress, c'mon Riddles
Yeah. I liked Prometheus but it definitely was a "turn your brain off to enjoy" type of film.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

One of the ways Prometheus tries to frame Charlize Theron as a heartless villain is for having her make the "don't let it on the ship, kill it with fire" move over the protests of the allegedly likable protagonists. But it was obviously the correct course of action, and in the original Alien the rest of the crew would have survived if they'd listened to Ripley when she'd suggested doing exactly that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

One of the ways Prometheus tries to frame Charlize Theron as a heartless villain is for having her make the "don't let it on the ship, kill it with fire" move over the protests of the allegedly likable protagonists. But it was obviously the correct course of action, and in the original Alien the rest of the crew would have survived if they'd listened to Ripley when she'd suggested doing exactly that.

Parker and Brett did listen to Ripley. Ash opened the airlock without consulting anyone.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Did they ever explain why she had sex with Idris Elba

I mean in universe. Obviously in real life everyone wants to have sex with Idris Elba

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

AnonSpore posted:

I mean in universe. Obviously in real life everyone wants to have sex with Idris Elba

His hotness transcends the fourth wall, obviously.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I was sure Charlize Theron and David were gonna have a hate-gently caress sex scene in the movie.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Vulpes posted:

His hotness transcends the fourth wall, obviously.

If she didn't bang him the movie would have been completely unrealistic.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Because she was bored and felt like it? :confused:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MonoAus posted:

Because she was bored and felt like it? :confused:

That's a good explanation for everyone's actions in the movie.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Pretty much.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

AnonSpore posted:

I dunno, I can't think of a reason why two hot people might want to have sex.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Underneath her cold hateful exterior was a severe case of jungle fever.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

It's a show about a guy who can run fast enough to travel through time, yet he often struggles to beat dudes with ray guns.

Those fire and ice guns are so loving stupid. If you flip it around and are in a world where the fire and ice guns are the norm and the bad guys use lead-firing guns as super weapons the concept would make more sense.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

HairyManling posted:

Yeah. I liked Prometheus but it definitely was a "turn your brain off to enjoy" type of film.

In a very bizarre way though. It is very clearly a think piece about humanity but in other is kinda schlocky (but beautiful) sci-fi.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Those fire and ice guns are so loving stupid. If you flip it around and are in a world where the fire and ice guns are the norm and the bad guys use lead-firing guns as super weapons the concept would make more sense.

Every setting with sci-fi guns makes them actually ridiculously lovely compared to regular guns. Theoretically a handheld weaponized laser or something would be a really good weapon! No bullet drop, unaffected by wind, you can make the beam goddamn invisible...but no, sci-fi laser guns are just janky pieces of poo poo that are outclassed in every way by a simple pistol.

Sci-fi always introduces technology that everyone uses because it's a magical science thing rather than because it actually does the job well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slime posted:

you can make the beam goddamn invisible..

gently caress invisible, the 'bullet' travels at or near the speed of light. It's like impossible to dodge.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Slime posted:

Every setting with sci-fi guns makes them actually ridiculously lovely compared to regular guns. Theoretically a handheld weaponized laser or something would be a really good weapon! No bullet drop, unaffected by wind, you can make the beam goddamn invisible...but no, sci-fi laser guns are just janky pieces of poo poo that are outclassed in every way by a simple pistol.

Sci-fi always introduces technology that everyone uses because it's a magical science thing rather than because it actually does the job well.

This is ironically one of the things Star Wars did really right, lightsabers are obsolete by the time 4 starts because what kind of idiot brings a laser sword to a laser gun fight?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ryoshi posted:

This is ironically one of the things Star Wars did really right, lightsabers are obsolete by the time 4 starts because what kind of idiot brings a laser sword to a laser gun fight?

An idiot that can see the future. That's always been the thing that made lightsabers practical, seeing the future is what lets you deflect blaster bolts and poo poo. Without that its a terrible weapon.

Slime posted:

I was gonna say though, Star Wars is pretty good at doing the "used-future" thing, where technology is used more practically and less like fancy brand new poo poo just to be brand new. Some other dystopian sci-fi does that good too, like Ghost in the Shell.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The kind of idiot that can use mystical powers to block/deflect every shot coming his way, obviously.

Efb, dammit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Star Trek's phasers are also meant to be primarily nonlethal, so they're more like futuristic tasers.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Yeah, but the SW blaster/turbolaser bolts are actually excited gas particles that gently caress you up on impact. That's why they're visible and that's why they're able to deflect them with lightsabers. Thanks, SW EU!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Dont phase me bro

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Slime posted:

That's one thing I liked about Firefly. The few times they show an actual laser gun, they're theses clunky, unwieldy things. And the one time someone actually shoots one, he gets three shots or so before it's charge is depleted. Everyone uses guns that shoot bullets. The Alliance uses big fancy guns that stun people, but that's about it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Slime posted:

I've always wondered how space armies choose their laser colors. Did the Empire and the Rebels sit down at some point and say " ok our tie fighters will get red lasers, the X wings can have green " etc?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I've always wondered how space armies choose their laser colors. Did the Empire and the Rebels sit down at some point and say " ok our tie fighters will get red lasers, the X wings can have green " etc?

Its WW-2. Lucas copied WW2 movies. In WW2 the Axis had green tracers and the allies had red tracers because of the chemicals used.

As for canon reasoning, I'm not sure there is one, but who cares anyways.

Although I think the Germans used red at one point and then green so the whole thing is kinda moot. But its because Lucas copied war films.

And admittedly it does make it easier for your eyes to track the laser fire in big battle scenes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zaphod42 posted:

As for canon reasoning, I'm not sure there is one, but who cares anyways.

Something unexplained in the star wars canon? I highly doubt that. There must be at least 3-4 books about colored lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

They use different fuel sources. Green lasers are powered by crystal lattices, while red lasers are powered by the darkness in the hearts of mankind.