Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Control Volume posted:

the obsession with stats is the worst thing to happen to this game, and to this thread

no one here is obsessed with stats except for ZombieLenin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiac posted:

You get killed by arty because you are extremely predictable and arty got lucky.
I have been playing my SU-14-2 and T92 recently for missions and you get very selective of your targets as a an arty player.
The ideal target is the player that goes back and forth in exactly the same pattern, which makes him predictable, because you can just wait for him to roll forward and then when he stops for firing, you are already preaimed and can just fire at him.
I try to XVM snipe when I can, but hitting a good player that is constantly moving is hardly easy.
When I get hit by arty, I know it is either that the other player got lucky or that I was doing something stupid. Having played a lot of arty also teaches you which areas that are arty safe.

This is Artillery 101 right here. I'd also like to add that you should try to avoid being the first or only person spotted if you don't like being targeted by artillery.

If you're blue or purple in XVM you can go somewhere in arty cover and then deliberately get and stay spotted, because bad arty players will fixate on not shooting you instead of actually shooting the rest of your retard teammates sitting immobile in the open.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

If you're blue or purple in XVM you can go somewhere in arty cover and then deliberately get and stay spotted, because bad arty players will fixate on not shooting
you instead of actually shooting the rest of your retard teammates sitting immobile in the open.

Make sure you look like you're going to drive out of artillery cover every now and then and watch as 3 artillery shells hit just where you'd be if you didn't stop half a second earlier. Gotta keep some bait on the hook.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Sometimes I wonder how I'd fare if I actually rerolled and deliberately statpadded in all the high WN8 tanks.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hellsau posted:

I could care less about stats. In fact, I just dissertated on why terrible stats are the best stats...

Wait. You might have a point.

Steelion posted:

Sometimes I wonder how I'd fare if I actually rerolled and deliberately statpadded in all the high WN8 tanks.

Pretty well I think; however having stats that good is a mixed bag. On the one hand the psychological effect on others is great, on the other hand you get xvm sniped and/or people get super cautious around you.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 29, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Make sure you look like you're going to drive out of artillery cover every now and then and watch as 3 artillery shells hit just where you'd be if you didn't stop half a second earlier. Gotta keep some bait on the hook.

After this happens you drive out of cover and sit immobile while shooting things for 25 seconds before going back into cover and repeating the process.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Please don't encourage Hellsau.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone's got an opinion on the Czechoslovak T 40?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McGavin posted:

This is Artillery 101 right here. I'd also like to add that you should try to avoid being the first or only person spotted if you don't like being targeted by artillery.

If you're blue or purple in XVM you can go somewhere in arty cover and then deliberately get and stay spotted, because bad arty players will fixate on not shooting you instead of actually shooting the rest of your retard teammates sitting immobile in the open.

Pretty much.
Put some "memorable" arty replays on YT, which pretty much shows how I play arty.
Honestly though, the only arty replays worth watching are LeFH18B2 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ncMN_bJxiQ
T92 game. I nail a VK4502B that gets spotted early and thinks sidescraping is a good idea. I then hit a IS-4 who I had already shot at, and really shouldn't stay still like that. Followed by finishing off the VK4502B, who really should have known I was aimed in there.
And then the CDC, who decides to stop moving. Bonus: Clutch reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6n3wOYSj7g
SU-14-2: SPG15 T28HTC.
Type 58 gets spotted and doesn't move. KV-5 moves in a straight line and gets blapped. Tiger sits still in open and gets blapped. Arty gets spotted and doesn't move with predictable result. T25/2 stops moving and gets it.
Note how I actively hold my fire until a target sits still or moves very predictable.

Both games also features a lot of fully zoomed in misses and in these games I got lucky with RNG.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Would my lovely account be worth anything on the ~black tank market~
http://www.wotstats.org/stats/na/byezimyannij/

700gold, 200k silver
PzB2, FCM PaK, Churchill 3, T-25,T-15, Excelsior, T14

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

oops, gently caress you phone

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
"No Type? I'll give you $5."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

With Type? $3,500.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

drat. gently caress. poo poo. assorted other swears.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
People are really overestimating how much being unpredictable and being in arty cover actually help against arty. On many maps there are enough arty positions that most/all arty cover can't cover every angle, think sand river, and a lot of arty cover also precludes you from really contributing to the fight. Sand river is probably the worst offender because there's maybe one part of the map that protects you from arty and doesn't expose you to enemy tanks for each spawn.

The randomness and large splash radii that high tier arty has severely limits how much you can meaningfully "dodge" arty. You can juke the point they're aiming at, sure, but it's hard to get out of their aim circle altogether, so they can still get lucky and hit you, or splash you for half your crew and modules.

It does only get worse with higher stats; where several times an arty player has snapshot, without aiming in at all, and said as much in chat after I died as my stupid sixth sense sound was still playing. Frankly it's not "if" arty is going to hit you, it's "how much" and "when," especially when your stats get higher. You may reduce the chances of being hit by not poking in the same places too predictably, but at some point you're still trying to win the battle and you can't avoid exposing yourself to at least some arty to do so. When arty is actively watching for you in particular they're going to get lucky eventually.

The flip side of the randomness is also true. There's not much even good players can do to prevent really bad games in arty from happening, where such games are very rare in real tanks. Some games you'll just get bad dice rolls four or five times in a row and come out with ~800 damage in your t10 arty. Compare it to a tank where when you die early or do poorly it's usually either your fault or at least something you could have avoided.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Missing Name posted:

drat. gently caress. poo poo. assorted other swears.

Important things for account value:

Top-tier special premium tanks: clan war rewards, Type 59, Pz2J, lovely refer-a-friend tank, mission rewards.

End game tanks (just large numbers of tier tens, or the extremely desirable ones.)

Other fancy premiums: Berlin tanks, KV-5, WZ-111, B2, BT-SV, etc.

Random premiums: Lowe, IS-6, FCM, etc.

and then gold amount, premium time, credits, random other junk have little impact but whatever. Good stats are also whatever, but if you get the really stupid sperg who actually cares about that sort of thing then the stats could be a dealbreaker that would get you lots of money from a very foolish person.

e: #wotfinance

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

McGavin posted:

With Type? $3,500.
I need to "sell" my account.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

gently caress

THIS

GAME

I'M DONE

pm me in 30 days and you can get my lovely account, it won't let me erase my connections to it yet. guess I shouldn't have removed my phone number, because now it won't let me change my email to tanks0are0awful0news0at011@gmail.com

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 30, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I have a type 59 and good stats and tons of premiums, if I could get $2,000 for it I would sell it immediately.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Missing Name posted:

gently caress

THIS

GAME

I'M DONE

Oh, did you have a bad pic tanks night?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

haven't played in like 2 weeks man

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving knew it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Missing Name posted:

You checked the box that says that you're reinstalling the game. You'll be back.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Missing Name posted:

I hope you posted this on WGs forums.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BadLlama posted:

I have a type 59 and good stats and tons of premiums, if I could get $2,000 for it I would sell it immediately.

:gary: :gizz:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
been WoT free for nearly a full year, pretty happy with this fact. Migrated to AW and happy to be playing a game that's fun and fast. Robocraft is still the best WoT clone though, everyone should just go play that instead.

There's actually much better options than WoT now, and you guys still consistently bitch about it and play it like you're married to it. I guess that's what happens when you waste hundreds of dollars and hours on a bad game!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I tried Robocraft - it was a poo poo ton of getting murdered by better poo poo while trying to grind enough stuff to make something fancy. No thanks.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Except it's not that hard to make something good or go up tiers? Ever since i got tank tracks I've been driving the same vehicle with slight mods for armor and such. it's really easy to make a singular, good vehicle even very early in. It took maybe a week to get to tier 4 or 5, so whatever you were building must've been really bad.

Or maybe you're trying to take it seriously. that's bad, don't do that. it's like Jenga with guns and you see which pile of blocks falls apart first.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Colon Semicolon posted:

Except it's not that hard to make something good or go up tiers? Ever since i got tank tracks I've been driving the same vehicle with slight mods for armor and such. it's really easy to make a singular, good vehicle even very early in. It took maybe a week to get to tier 4 or 5, so whatever you were building must've been really bad.

Or maybe you're trying to take it seriously. that's bad, don't do that. it's like Jenga with guns and you see which pile of blocks falls apart first.

I tried playing it back when NTR was alive so maybe a year and a half ago? Has it actually improved or what. When I stopped playing they just got rid of the crazy chair+gun thing.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Hellsau posted:

I tried playing it back when NTR was alive so maybe a year and a half ago? Has it actually improved or what. When I stopped playing they just got rid of the crazy chair+gun thing.

It's a massively different game now. Megabots, Rotors, Spider walkers, Biped Legs, jet sleds are viable, wheels have been majorly fixed to be viable, Helium drones massively nerfed/fixed, hover is based on world coordinates rather than ground angle which saves them from the awful flipping issues, restrictions on art bots lifted, totally retooled the tier system and way things are unlocked, you can live longer than a minute in matches, decently fun base destruction main mode, and finally people can buy and sell their creations in a market.

The only problem I really have is there's still not that many maps, but they've been changing that slowly. I think there's atleast 2 or 3 new ones since then.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 30, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Hellsau posted:

When I stopped playing they just got rid of the crazy chair+gun thing.

The game died for me that day.

You used to be able to make a pile of parts that wasn't connected to your vehicle to artificially enter higher tier battles with a gunchair to waste everyone's time. It was great.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
It's a good thing they fixed that and also broke gun chairs entirely. It's great when a game changes and gets better. (Unlike this one)

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

It's a good thing they fixed that and also broke gun chairs entirely. It's great when a game changes and gets better. (Unlike this one)

Eh, this game have been constantly changed for the better.

Quoting myself here:

Cardiac posted:

The game is imo in a pretty good place balance-wise. The worst offenders (tier10 TDs, TDs in general, gold ammo, Hellcats, KV-1S, waffentragers, arty, autoloaders) have been nerfed.
And once you have played enough games, you typically have enough different tanks to play to vary what you play + premium tanks meaning credits is a non-issue. The consequence of a lost game is hardly noteworthy for me.

Pretty massive change in maps as well, where some of the worst offenders have been removed or massively reworked.
All in all, the game is quite enjoyable nowadays as long as you don't take it seriously.

The only thing left to nerf were the pubbies, but I guess AW took care of that problem.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]
Sometimes when I'm playing games with goons, I think I'm playing with some people with a maturity level of my kid, then I realize I am playing games with goons.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

Sometimes when I'm playing games with goons, I think I'm playing with some people with a maturity level of my kid, then I realize I am playing games with goons.

:goonsay:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like the current version of patch 10.0 is being cancelled in favor of a micropatch for the CAX and the new Rampage mode. http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.com/2015/10/100-cancelled.html?m=1

Exia00
Feb 13, 2014

When in doubt.... C4

Looks like the current version of patch 10.0 is being cancelled in favor of a micropatch for the CAX and the new Rampage mode. http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.com/2015/10/100-cancelled.html?m=1

RIP. Its probably a good thing they havnt said anything about the tank reward for rampage or they would probably cancel that too because its going to be a stupid hard grind.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
and another tanker is RIP.

I think I'm done for now, got 3 tier 10's unlocked with no cash, caenarvon unlocked and t54 ltwt with enough free exp to unlock.

My game record.

1660 WN8
54% W/R

MTs: Object 140, STB-1, M48A1, T62A, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 907
HTs: T110E5, IS-7, T57 Heavy
SPG: M53/55

AMX 50B unlocked, 121 unlocked, E50M unlocked.

I think this is good enough to say I've beaten this MMO, after playing for 3 years. Now to play my other games.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ZombieLenin posted:

I could care less about stats. In fact, I just dissertated on why terrible stats are the best stats...

That means you care, hth

McGavin posted:

Hellsau posted:

This also works in the CDC regardless of displayed stats. One game on Prokhorovka, I noticed all three enemy artypieces were gunning for me, so I just kept moving the entire game while crestspotting in the middle. Not a single out of almost 20 rounds aimed at me hit, but they would not loving stop trying.
Their team slowly imploded with absolutely zero arty support (also: pubbies, I guess) and at some point I even told them to maybe support their team instead of unsuccessfully dogpiling on a single easy kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That means you care, hth

Which is why the second sentence of that post you didn't quote said...

ZombieLenin posted:

:heysexy:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 30, 2015