Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Maybe you missed the part where the Safari Developer Program was folded into the $99/y Apple Developer Program, around the same time as iOS and OS X were folded together as well. Now all Safari extensions and their updates must be signed by a paid developer, and uploaded to Apple's new Safari Extension Gallery. (Which, I may add, was completely swamped and non-functional when the change first took effect.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So I have a bunch of pictures in the iCloud "Shared" section, done through the Pictures app. Is there any way to share a link to the gallery without making the whole thing public? The Pictures app has a share button but it doesn't do anything and a button that lets me add "trusted" people from my address book to view/add to the gallery but they have to have an Apple ID. Can't I just link the thing so they can look at it in their browser?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

kode54 posted:

Maybe you missed the part where the Safari Developer Program was folded into the $99/y Apple Developer Program, around the same time as iOS and OS X were folded together as well. Now all Safari extensions and their updates must be signed by a paid developer, and uploaded to Apple's new Safari Extension Gallery. (Which, I may add, was completely swamped and non-functional when the change first took effect.)

That only applies to extensions published in the Apple gallery. There's some bizarre permissions bullshit going on here. If I can't fix it by today I'm just gonna reinstall, this isn't the only major problem I've been having after upgrading to El Cap.

Edit: Not for lack of patience, and I'd really like to avoid spending half my day off backing up and reinstalling everything, this is just my work computer and I can't have this happening. Also the default forums theme is making my eyes bleed.

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 25, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

NOTinuyasha posted:

Also the default forums theme is making my eyes bleed.

You need Stylish in your life. Choose any of the dark themes it works great for me.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I already use Magus42's userscript (with Javascript Blocker's userscript manager) to revert to the previous theme and it's worked fine, I just can't install Javascript Blocker anymore. On my iMac anyway, my Air has no problem.

Also Re: Safari scripts lacking, I disagree; there's uBlock, ClickToFlash, and Javascript Blocker depending on how much control you want to have over pages (hint: Javascript Blocker is excellent and has no equal). Xkit is the go-to Tumblr extension, if you're using another that's fine but it doesn't mean Safari is lacking, it's just not meeting your Specific Needs.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
El Capitan users: Is it possible to CMD + ` through fullscreen windows of the same app or is it still not a thing?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Aww, lovely. I took four photos of my cats a few nights ago, which I let iCloud upload to my photos library, and as soon as Photos on my MacBook Pro picked them up, it crashed. Now it promptly crashes on every startup.

Pops this error:

quote:

Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (gmParams[green1GM].planes[0][gainIdx] == gmParams[green2GM].planes[0][gainIdx]), function setSushiFilterProperties, file /Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/RawCamera/RawCamera-825/Source/RawImage/RawImage+ReconstructionOptions.mm, line 1515.

I should probably report this to Apple, ne?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

kode54 posted:

Aww, lovely. I took four photos of my cats a few nights ago, which I let iCloud upload to my photos library, and as soon as Photos on my MacBook Pro picked them up, it crashed. Now it promptly crashes on every startup.

Pops this error:

I should probably report this to Apple, ne?

Yep, you should. Especially if you can give them the info needed to reproduce this. Just the photos might be enough, especially if they crash Preview.app as well.

https://bugreport.apple.com

Edit: and you can probably fix it by deleting the photos from the web interface: https://www.icloud.com/#photos

chimz fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 26, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
That's the thing, they don't crash Preview.app, just Photos.

I'll copy the originals out of Masters inside the .photoslibrary bundle, then delete them from icloud.com, and report back if it fixes it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is there any way to lock the order of spaces on El Capitan? I am using two desktops, and a third one which is Parallels Desktop running Excel because Mac Excel is garbage with macros. I'd like the order to be desktop 1, parallels, desktop 2, so I set it like that. It's fine and I can swipe left and right. Then I Alt + Tab to a window and the spaces get re-organised so the two desktops go together and parallels is to the right. So annoying.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sad Panda posted:

Is there any way to lock the order of spaces on El Capitan? I am using two desktops, and a third one which is Parallels Desktop running Excel because Mac Excel is garbage with macros. I'd like the order to be desktop 1, parallels, desktop 2, so I set it like that. It's fine and I can swipe left and right. Then I Alt + Tab to a window and the spaces get re-organised so the two desktops go together and parallels is to the right. So annoying.

I've given up on trying to order Spaces and assign applications. At home I have my ultra wide hooked up and if I open the clamshell it fucks things up. I take it to work and hook up two monitors there and it fucks things up. I have never been able to get any kind of consistency. I don't even care if it orders things differently, I just want it to remember "oh, ultra-wide and clamshell open - then these apps go here" or "at work, two monitors and clamshell open - these apps go here" and so on...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Butt Savage posted:

El Capitan users: Is it possible to CMD + ` through fullscreen windows of the same app or is it still not a thing?

What now? Did they take this away or something? (Still on yoze might here).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sad Panda posted:

Have you unchecked the 're-order Spaces according to recent use' option in Settings?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

I switch from a single 32" at home to two Tbolts at the office, and between assigning apps to Spaces on the Dock and turning off "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use" in Mission Control in SysPrefs I haven't had any issues.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TACD posted:

Have you unchecked the 're-order Spaces according to recent use' option in Settings?

Thank you! I didn't even know that was an option. It's turned off and I look forward to it working properly.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

Thank you! I didn't even know that was an option. It's turned off and I look forward to it working properly.

It works fine for me. Annoying is that now any time I open a fullscreen app it becomes the righternmost space. I'd prefer it to go to the space to the right of my current one. Though I guess there's something to be said for both options.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

lord funk posted:

What now? Did they take this away or something? (Still on yoze might here).

You can still switch between regular windows within the same app using cmd + ` but you can't use that command to scroll through fullscreened windows to do the same. Give it a shot: Open two Chrome windows, put them in full screen, and try using cmd + ` to switch between them. Can't do it.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Butt Savage posted:

Just upgraded to EC and tested out CMD + ` on Chrome. Works fine for me on my Macbook Pro.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Decided to try out MacID last night, and it's pretty cool. It's an OS X unlocker that uses Touch ID (or watchOS) to unlock. The OS X client also supports proximity unlock and (touchpad) tap to unlock, which is great if you're typing in your password dozens of times a day. Dunno if you have to buy the iOS app to use the free OS X app.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Dunno if you have to buy the iOS app to use the free OS X app.

$0.99. Which isn't really too bad, actually.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kode54 posted:

$0.99. Which isn't really too bad, actually.

Is it $0.99 right now? I just paid $3.99 last night! Worth it to me at either price, though.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Knock is pretty cool too. You can just tap your phone twice to unlock.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

Knock is pretty cool too. You can just tap your phone twice to unlock.

Knock's nice. I've wanted a proximity alert based on my phone location though and MacID has it in theory at least. In practice it's proving buggy. But worth the dollar to at least play with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I gave up on knock, it was way too inconsistent to keep using

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm looking for some kind of cool audio visualizer for my desktop. I have a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.9.5. I've tried Bowtie and Discobrick but neither of them are really what I want. Is there some program that is a cross of the two or something I might have overlooked?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Is there an IRC client (between the ones listed or one that's not listed) that works fairly well on Mavericks? I've been using the free version of Textual and for some reason, it keeps either deleting the settings for a particular channel or messing them up for some reason. Used to use Linkinus and really liked that one but I know it hasn't been actively updated for quite awhile now. If there's an IRC client similar to Linkinus out there, that'd probably be a great option.

The same question would probably be extended to a mail client as well, as Mail hasn't been playing nice with multiple email accounts (most noticeably Outlook/Live) I used to use Airmail before the beta was locked from the OS I used to use and I had to switch back to Mail. For the moment, I've got my Outlook/Live accounts in Outlook and the others in Mail so one program that works well for with multiple emails is ideal.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
oops. nevermind.

passionate dongs fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 29, 2015

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MPlayerX just got an update that fixes the pixelization issue in ElCap.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah an update from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1. Definitely fixes the blobby looking text on hard subs that it had before, especially if you zoom past the encoded res.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
As of a couple of months ago, MPlayerX comes bundled with MacKeeper. I don't know if that affects updates but pending clarification you should either stick to the version you're running or find another player.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I use https://mpv.io

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Can't you just uncheck the box saying "hey, install some spyware" while you install MPlayerX and it won't do it? Obviously though if you already have it installed and your Mac is clean then doing the update through the app is fine.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
You can, but mpv is pretty much the same thing except better and you don't have to trust the freeware developer.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember mpv being really bare-bones and not having many features just about every player has nowadays.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Stare-Out posted:

Can't you just uncheck the box saying "hey, install some spyware" while you install MPlayerX and it won't do it? Obviously though if you already have it installed and your Mac is clean then doing the update through the app is fine.

No, if it has anything to do with MacKeeper, I'd stay far away. And the developer never clarified how it's bundled, he didn't even increment the version after adding it.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Stare-Out posted:

I remember mpv being really bare-bones and not having many features just about every player has nowadays.

It still is, and you need to configure it by editing config files, but it handles the core feature of playback rather better than MPlayerX or VLC, so it's still my choice. I do wish it had a media/codec info feature though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, Movist has not needed an update even with El Capitan and still continues to be great. It has on-the-fly filters just like VLC does and hasn't choked on any MKVs or weird subs yet. $5 at the App Store but totally worth it IMHO.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Does 3-finger tap for definition not work anymore? I've tried it in 10.11 and Safari 9 several times and it doesn't do a thing.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
Still works for me, but I think I had to recheck it in the trackpad options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does 3-finger tap for definition not work anymore? I've tried it in 10.11 and Safari 9 several times and it doesn't do a thing.

Didn't used to work for me in Chrome, then they fixed it and it was glorious, now it doesn't work anymore again. Doesn't work anywhere, to be honest, as far as I've tried, and it's definitely enabled.

Oh well I guess. Two-finger tap and select "Look up ..." is what I've been doing. It is annoying though since I got used to it. I don't have a solution but you're not alone.