Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Every time I think I like the guy whose mask is too small and makes his head look verrrrrry tiny the best, I look an inch to the right and see Badass John Lennon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I'm curious how long this deal has been in the works and if the VtM 4E announcement has anything to do with it.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Two options present themselves, both equally mysterious:

1) why are so many elder vampires wearing steampunk fashion all of a sudden
or
2) why is it turning out that every newly embraced neonate is really into steampunk fashion

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

In all honesty I don't really mind if nWoD is done as a game line. It's been around long enough, and I'll still play it. But the idea of a oWoD revival is so hilariously stupid because dude have you looked at oWoD lol

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tatankatonk posted:

In all honesty I don't really mind if nWoD is done as a game line. It's been around long enough, and I'll still play it. But the idea of a oWoD revival is so hilariously stupid because dude have you looked at oWoD lol

Don't quite know what you mean *grimly forces a few more people into the empty room filled with Sons of Ether characters*

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The real question is if it'll get any benefit from all the world Onyx Path writers are putting into those three settings that OPP actually and definitively owns. Like, if Scion and Trinity and so forth are getting Sardonyx, what's the swedish WoD gonna look like?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
No you don't get it, casual 90s racism is critical to the success of this brand!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

The real question is if it'll get any benefit from all the world Onyx Path writers are putting into those three settings that OPP actually and definitively owns. Like, if Scion and Trinity and so forth are getting Sardonyx, what's the swedish WoD gonna look like?

The real question is how long until I can play the Beast videogame

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

tatankatonk posted:

That's true. The best parts of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines were the parts that studiously ignored its connection to the unwieldy metaplot of Vampire: The Masquerade. The worst part was anything involving the Kuei-Jin, which did not.

Actually to head off the boring circa 2005 "OWoD is racist katana trenchcoat ninjas!" "NWoD is horror GURPS!" slapfight, how about some personal tales of the metaplot screwing around with people's games?

Crion posted:

All I'm seeing is "we'll clarify soon" surrounded by vague, soothing PR talk. I mean, take that stuff at face value if you want, but it's probably safer to wait on the new contracts to get signed before trusting in anyone's love for the brand. Paradox didn't buy this vast IP catalog out of a sense of community stewardship.

Fair enough, but I don't think they bought it to cancel everything either, they bought it to make video games. But you're right who knows, in a couple of years we could be discussing the merits of the first of FFG's WoD books.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

tatankatonk posted:

The real question is how long until I can play the Beast videogame

Just do a genocide route in Undertale and get really self-righteous when the game calls you out.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
B vs D the app will be freemium.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Looking forward to the Let The Right One In splat, and by "looking forward", I mean I'm rereading the blinding of Gloucester scene in King Lear in preparation.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Fair enough, but I don't think they bought it to cancel everything either, they bought it to make video games. But you're right who knows, in a couple of years we could be discussing the merits of the first of FFG's WoD books.

*screams*

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
What's wrong with FFG?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Peztopiary posted:

What's wrong with FFG?

Arkham Horror, hatred of balance, Elder Sign, Arkham Horror again... Take your pick.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Good to see the Death Eaters are still getting work like 18 years later.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I choose to view this development with nothing but glee. Paradox are a solid company focused on what works, and what they'll see here is - I hope, anyway - a solid opportunity to create RPGs and action-RPGs (and say, they have a dev team that does great action (Fat Shark) that might just work well for developing the combat side of, say, a Werewolf game) and maybe some other projects. If their business endeavour isn't as successful as they like, I reckon they'll do what CCP did and just sit back, let OPP (or its successor, which will be what? Dark Road Productions?) buy licenses and give them money while growing and maintaining the brand until the next attempt at one of them. They're also very comfortable with the whole licensing aspect of things, as they've licensed their IPs before - e.g., HoI2's Darkest Hour and Arsenal of Democracy.

They give pretty generous leashes for realists, too. East v West is a good example - they gave that game every chance but refused to publish it when it kept turning out poo poo. Kept it going in development over time to see if it could be fixed but nixed it for the sake of the brands involved. This has the potential to be a very good thing that, at worst, will cause a year or two of trouble before it either succeeds or fails and returns to the status quo of 'yes, other company, give us money to use our thing that we are unable to use'.

(Also as the biggest oWoD fan it is, in all fairness, a goofy, ridiculous, often terrible setting full of baffling choices, strange ideas, and downright offensive content at times. nWoD is a better setting, but it doesn't have that same frenetic 90s saturday morning cartoon charm.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd watch a owod saturday morning cartoon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The oWoD is full of wacky, over-the-top material, but it's not like it was never intellectually respectable—most of the Revised editions demonstrate what could be done with writers who were willing to work to make the setting into something other than a cartoon. Even the Sons of Ether who got mentioned above got a good tradbook that broadened them out into having a paradigm you could actually discuss and members who did things other than steampunk Science!!!.

The problem is that "wacky 90s navel-gazing" is the low-energy state of the oWoD, and without constant effort to push away from it, it all falls back into that state (see M20).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I would watch nHunter TV show where they also team up sometimes with a cool Werewolf family.

Basically I want Supernatural that isn't SO GODDAMN BORING.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Loomer posted:

(Also as the biggest oWoD fan it is, in all fairness, a goofy, ridiculous, often terrible setting full of baffling choices, strange ideas, and downright offensive content at times. nWoD is a better setting, but it doesn't have that same frenetic 90s saturday morning cartoon charm.)

Part of why I like the OWoD is precisely because it's basically a giant horror superhero universe. I'm glad OPP decided to (at least with V20 and W20, haven't really gone through M20 yet) just embrace that and turn totally away from the obnoxious "See these lists of cool powers? Never let your players use those, that would violate Personal Horror" tone. As for the offensive stuff... Well, speaking of superheroes, Captain America hasn't been shitcanned because of yellow peril garbage from some of his early comics, for example. OWoD 4.0, which I hope they move forward with, is basically that sort of chance to fix those mistakes. Also I like NWoD. They don't have to be in competition.

Oh and goddamn, if they can actually deliver on the Charles de Lint/Emma Bull promise of Changeling instead of the gigantic car crash we got? That would be amazing.

Rand Brittain posted:

The oWoD is full of wacky, over-the-top material, but it's not like it was never intellectually respectable—most of the Revised editions demonstrate what could be done with writers who were willing to work to make the setting into something other than a cartoon. Even the Sons of Ether who got mentioned above got a good tradbook that broadened them out into having a paradigm you could actually discuss and members who did things other than steampunk Science!!!.

The problem is that "wacky 90s navel-gazing" is the low-energy state of the oWoD, and without constant effort to push away from it, it all falls back into that state (see M20).

Yeah that too. Basically we need WoD Alan Moore

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 30, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Lightning Lord posted:

Oh and goddamn, if they can actually deliver on the Charles de Lint/Emma Bull promise of Changeling instead of the gigantic car crash we got? That would be amazing.

That doesn't even sound like it would be super-difficult. All you really need is to write Dreaming from the perspective of an author who has grown up and knows why it kind of sucks and also why it's great, instead of from the perspective of an author who either refuses to grow up or is really bitter about having to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still prefer the nWoD's more John Carpenter/David Lynch tone. :shrug:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lightning Lord posted:

Part of why I like the OWoD is precisely because it's basically a giant horror superhero universe. I'm glad OPP decided to (at least with V20 and W20, haven't really gone through M20 yet) just embrace that and turn totally away from the obnoxious "See these lists of cool powers? Never let your players use those, that would violate Personal Horror" tone.
In what game line or universe is this ever applicable?

quote:

Do you have a time machine to go back and get Alan Moore before he turned into the guy that thought Lost Girls and Neonomicon were good ideas? Because if we get the guy now, you're looking at borrowing a lot of Exalted 2E's Infernals flavor and I think we're about full on that already.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's no reason, if you want a superheroes with fangs universe, to tie it to the millenarian poo poo, and you might as well go for a totally fresh start that allows you to move things around and kill off the stuff that didn't work at all.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

The books that I already like are not going to be unwritten and Paradox presumably plans to Make More Stuff with the license, so I am in favor of this event.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Do you have a time machine to go back and get Alan Moore before he turned into the guy that thought Lost Girls and Neonomicon were good ideas? Because if we get the guy now, you're looking at borrowing a lot of Exalted 2E's Infernals flavor and I think we're about full on that already.

What do you mean? White Wolf certainly copped an attitude about how there was only one right way to play their games back in the day and if you didn't do it, you were a mirrorshades katana trenchcoat twinker.

And yea, I'm gonna fetch him from around the time of Swamp Thing.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Lightning Lord posted:

A strange bearded wizard-man?

Satyros already fills that job slot, I thought.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
New World of Darkness does goofy action-packed superheroes with fangs much better than old World of Darkness did, since it has more options for character customization, better combat balance, and much clearer ways to level up or take levels in prestige classes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

You gotta be real careful with your aim there that you don't land straight in the giant morass of purple prose that is post-baby Miracleman.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Effectronica posted:

Arkham Horror, hatred of balance, Elder Sign, Arkham Horror again... Take your pick.

I've only played their RPGs, which are actually really well done. I do remember starting a game of AH that used four large expansions and three mini-expansions, but everything fades to black after the second hour.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Effectronica posted:

There's no reason, if you want a superheroes with fangs universe, to tie it to the millenarian poo poo, and you might as well go for a totally fresh start that allows you to move things around and kill off the stuff that didn't work at all.

Hopefully that's OWoD 4's deal, although I do think that a future prophesied Great Disaster can work. Just don't put a date on it.

Ferrinus posted:

New World of Darkness does goofy action-packed superheroes with fangs much better than old World of Darkness did, since it has more options for character customization, better combat balance, and much clearer ways to level up or take levels in prestige classes.

I would be all in favor of OWoD flavor with NWoD rules. In fact the best option would be to make a rules corebook and treat the two lines as setting books, probably,

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

FFG's 40k stuff is really high-quality, for what it's worth (nothing(40k is bad and I should be ashamed))

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

I would be all in favor of OWoD flavor with NWoD rules. In fact the best option would be to make a rules corebook and treat the two lines as setting books, probably,

Except NWoD flavor is also better for setting up bizarre cartoonish setpieces since so much of the disparate setting material has an easy time interacting, there's more space within which to invent weirdness whole cloth, and there are more opportunities for the insane level 9999 setting backbone poo poo to appear without simply squashing or ignoring the player characters.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
22 years later and Mages still getting owned by Paradox.

I assumed the bit about which licenses aren't working was a reference to By Night Studios, who have released one book in I think three years. It's a hell of a book, and I hear through the grapevine (BNS and the MES are way intertwined) that BNS Werewolf is essentially done, but it's still a glacial pace and Paradox might not be pleased.

Other than OP and BNS, who even licenses WW IP?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ferrinus posted:

Except NWoD flavor is also better for setting up bizarre cartoonish setpieces since so much of the disparate setting material has an easy time interacting, there's more space within which to invent weirdness whole cloth, and there are more opportunities for the insane level 9999 setting backbone poo poo to appear without simply squashing or ignoring the player characters.

I flash back to the people explaining how HITmarks should have 8-dot stats and junk to make them "a real threat" every time I hear about oWoD being fun cartoon action.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Requiem also has way cooler and crazier Bloodlines than VtM. Although I'd be willing to live in a world without nWoD if it also brought V:tES back.

nWoD Dracula is also way cooler.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Pope Guilty posted:

22 years later and Mages still getting owned by Paradox.

Holy poo poo, new thread title right here.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I still maintain covenants are cooler than clan-bloques ever were in terms of units of conflict and flavor - but then, one could easily funnel covenants into a sourcebook based on a core system and that'd be cool.

In fact I'd go so far as to say covenants are the single most important thing to preserve from Requiem if I was forced to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
As long as nMage2 comes out I'm happy.