Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Have you considered shutting the gently caress up, there are only 2 more days till a new thread is due and no one has claimed it. Calling it now; Beets penis in silhouette as styled by FDotM is going to be the new thread if it even happens. I'm closing this one as soon as I get net access next month so if it doesn't exist then Auspol is fukt and so are you.

edit: popesnype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Birb Katter posted:

Have you considered shutting the gently caress up, there are only 2 more days till a new thread is due and no one has claimed it

Was this question without a question mark directed at me? Who are you talking to?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
go drunk Katter you're home

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Zenithe posted:

I saw Brontosaurus

I've been doing a lot of work on GIS with one specific area over the last week or so, so I've begun automatically using shortcut names for certain areas, this is the brontosaurus

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Ranter posted:

Was this question without a question mark directed at me? Who are you talking to?

I'm talking to anyone who wants to claim the thread, if you already claimed it and I missed your post then I'm sorry.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

:argh:GIS

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

actually GIS is cool and good

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I know, but Arc drives me crazy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

open24hours posted:

I know, but Arc drives me crazy.

Yeah, there are some things about it which really annoy me, I haven't had time to try out any other software yet though, definitely on my to do list over the summer break.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I've been doing a lot of work on GIS with one specific area over the last week or so, so I've begun automatically using shortcut names for certain areas, this is the brontosaurus

There's a whelp face in orange there.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, there are some things about it which really annoy me, I haven't had time to try out any other software yet though, definitely on my to do list over the summer break.

I can do like 90% of what I need to do in QGIS, and while it has its own quirks it's much faster and it's free.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'll make next month's thread, claiming it.

edit: are there 31 days in October in Australia, or if it just a northern hemisphere thing?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

HookShot posted:

I'll make next month's thread, claiming it.

edit: are there 31 days in October in Australia, or if it just a northern hemisphere thing?

No it's actually 10 Brumaire :eng101:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birdstrike posted:

Today is Pungenday, the 11th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3181

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

did you know that australia accepted over 20,000 refugees per year in the 9 years following WW2? makes you wonder what a bunch of loving insane lefties the government was back then. it's lucky we're not a muslim country dominated by sharia law given the number of boats that must have been arriving back then.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I mean, given we managed to accommodate a refugee intake of 20,000 per year for 9 years in 1945 (not to mention increased regular immigration due to the end of the war), how the hell could we possibly sustain a refugee intake greater than 6,000 per year in the 21st century with our larger population and much more advanced and developed economy?! you loving lefty loons are off your rockers, mate.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I am very sad that Tony Abbott is no longer Prime Minister. Yes, he certainly made some wrong choices, but he also did many creditable things too. In his quiet way he trod the world stage with humility and sincerity during the calamities of the two downed aircraft. Unlike some others I could name, and who connived and contrived and would stop at nothing to get the 'top job', he wanted only to server. He did not desire it for the power and glory that accompanies the position. As for knighthoods, what is wrong with publicly thanking some for their years of dedication? Maybe I'm one of the conservative dinosaurs, but for me it is far better to have a man with integrity, who honours God and the Queen, and wants to preserve the very foundations on which this great nation was built. I believe there are many who wold hold fast to the kind of chivalry, strength, and compassion embodied in Tony Abbott, rather than embrace the 'social conscience and vision for the future' which someone like Malcolm Turnbull will usher in.

PS stop the boats.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

agreed, but on an even higher plane of irony

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Skellybones posted:

I am very sad that Tony Abbott is no longer Prime Minister. Yes, he certainly made some wrong choices, but he also did many creditable things too. In his quiet way he trod the world stage with humility and sincerity during the calamities of the two downed aircraft. Unlike some others I could name, and who connived and contrived and would stop at nothing to get the 'top job', he wanted only to server. He did not desire it for the power and glory that accompanies the position. As for knighthoods, what is wrong with publicly thanking some for their years of dedication? Maybe I'm one of the conservative dinosaurs, but for me it is far better to have a man with integrity, who honours God and the Queen, and wants to preserve the very foundations on which this great nation was built. I believe there are many who wold hold fast to the kind of chivalry, strength, and compassion embodied in Tony Abbott, rather than embrace the 'social conscience and vision for the future' which someone like Malcolm Turnbull will usher in.

PS stop the boats.

Oh gran. *gently pats hand, rolls eyes at other relatives*

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

In his quiet way he trod the world stage with humility and sincerity

There is no way in hell that any person has ever actually thought this about Tony Abbott

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

There is no way in hell that any person has ever actually thought this about Tony Abbott

Was gonna say Abbott himself but you said person so

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Food poisoning has struck Australia’s detention centre on Manus Island, with up to 100 asylum seekers and refugees in detention struck by diarrhoea and vomiting.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:itwaspoo:

Up to 100 asylum seekers on Manus Island struck by food poisoning

Food poisoning has struck Australia’s detention centre on Manus Island, with up to 100 asylum seekers and refugees in detention struck by diarrhoea and vomiting.

The outbreak appears confined to Delta compound.

“The medical centre was full of Delta guys,” one refugee told Guardian Australia. “They sent them in five groups there, they gave them medication and sent them back because there’s not enough space down in the clinic.”

Food has been an ongoing issue for the men in detention, with some complaining it is “inedible”.

They allege when visitors arrive at the centre – department officials, ministers, human rights groups – the food temporarily improves, before reverting.

Men in detention also regularly post photos of out-of-date food they say they’ve been served, or question its provenance.

One man posted a photo of his meal on 6 October: “Today’s lunch. If someone finds out what kind of animal’s meat it is please let me know.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/oct/30/up-to-100-asylum-seekers-on-manus-island-struck-by-food-poisoning

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You, you was poo

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Typical of these sort of people though. Being all sick and dirty. Why would you let their kind in? Checkmate leftists.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is huge

quote:

Labor has suspended its internal elections and will launch an investigation into one of the biggest-ever branch-stacking scams to hit the Victorian Labor Party.

The move by Labor's powerful administrative committee on Thursday night comes after Fairfax Media revealed the massive rorting earlier this month.

On October 11, Fairfax Media reported that anonymous gift cards were used to pay the dues of hundreds of ALP members at the core of Bill Shorten's Labor Right powerbase.

The scam has been run for years and is linked closely to the plumbers' union and suburban factional warlords close to Mr Shorten and federal frontbencher Stephen Conroy.

Labor's administrative committee suspended elections for Labor state conference, its country executive, women's network and Rainbow Labor until February next year.

The party appointed Labor Right figure Garth Head and the Left's Liz Beattie to investigate the use of the pre-paid gift cards.

But their appointment ran into opposition from some at the meeting amid concern that the two dominant factions would try to sweep the issue of branch stacking under the carpet.

Also making an appearance at the meeting was factional warlord and Turkish numbers man Hakki Suleyman, who was a proxy for his daughter Natalie, a state MP.

The meeting endorsed a motion that noted "potential irregularities" in payments of memberships through the use of pre-paid debit, credit and gift cards and credit cards.

"The ALP must act to ensure that all party members can be confident in the acceptance of members, their renewal and a shared understanding around payments and eligibility," it noted.

The internal investigation has been asked to report back by next month. It is understood as many as 500 memberships involved "irregular" payments.

Branch stacking involves factional players signing up members, or renewing memberships, in bulk. Cash for payment of membership dues often comes from unions or union slush funds.

For factional warlords, the "stacks" represent numbers and power within Labor - numbers to be traded in factional and sub-factional deals and wielded in important policy and preselection battles.

The Visa gift cards used by the branch stackers are, in effect, disposable debit cards that do not show who the cardholder is or who paid for them. Money can be placed on the cards but the cards expire once the money is used.

Each card has an individual number, similar to a debit or credit card, and an expiry date. The lack of ability to trace who paid for them makes them ideal for branch-stacking.

The royal commission into union corruption recently asked Victorian Labor for its membership list, after the Fairfax Media report, but backed down after Labor called the move "McCarthyist".

Documents indicate the gift cards were used to buy hundreds of memberships in the last two weeks of May 2013, the period in which "multiple" party memberships are habitually renewed before the 30 May renewal deadline.

Many of the members involved appear to be of Lebanese background and linked to northern suburbs factional powerbroker David Asmar.

His wife, Diana, is the Victorian secretary of the Health Services Union No.1 branch.

Another group involved appears to centre on the family of former plumbers union official, Tony Murphy, who for many years was a Labor powerbroker in Melbourne's north.

Under Victorian Labor's byzantine factional arrangements the plumbers, and associated party members, make up a right-wing sub-faction loyal to Shorten.

While the HSU is not currently affiliated to the ALP - it disaffiliated in 2011 amid the scandals surrounding former leaders Craig Thomson and Michael Williamson - it is an important factional resource.

:fork:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
literally murder all white australians, me first please.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

I call me second. :suicide:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

thatbastardken posted:

Kind of an odd statement when the two factional warlords in the article are explicitly described as Lebanese and Turkish, in addition to backing the scum of Shorten and Conroy, but sure I guess.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ITS THE SHORTENOCALPYSE

:unsmigghh:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Unfortunately this just enshrines more years of far right overlords. The Labor party really knows how to gently caress things up in a fundamental way.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Lid posted:

Kind of an odd statement when the two factional warlords in the article are explicitly described as Lebanese and Turkish, in addition to backing the scum of Shorten and Conroy, but sure I guess.

More of a general statement, really.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Kill Bill vol 2.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
At what point do we just give up on NSW and fire the entirety of it into the sun?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
This is Victoria.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

At what point do we just give up on NSW and fire the entirety of it into the sun?
Technically that's Victoria but I'm not against your proposal.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Albomania is coming.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

This is Victoria.

Question still stands. I'm already pro victoria being fired into the sun.

EDIT: Launch the entirety of Australia into the sun except for maybe the Northern Territory.

ONLY THE NT NEWS SAVED YOU NT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Lid posted:

This is huge

:fork:

Where's this from? Couldn't find it in SMH or the Guardian

• Locked thread