Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Hey I like that, great job on the Euro feel. I'll have to give this a try in my next city.
I still have to buy the expansion also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I figured out the camera tool, really expanded the city and added a TRAM SYSTEM. I'm still so excited about the ability to control exactly which vehicles use which lines.

An overview of the whole city, so far. I might replace the ugly over-sized highway system with 6 lane roads set to 80kph and the traffic lights replaced with actual highway style ramps.

I had never actually placed an airport on the map in skylines, not even when the game first came out. Barely anyone uses it, planes with 20 or 80 out of 200 people show up in clumps, tourism still seems useless. But it's enough to generate enough traffic to justify the little tram stop. It's only 2 stops long, goes from the nearest metro/tram interchange to the airport and just has one vehicle going back and forth. Like any proper airport there's some big ugly modern hotels right next to it for people who want to pay double to enjoy the view and sounds of an airport??

Thanks to the building themes mod I can build nice european cities but still have actual skylines in places. Much like the clumps of ugly skyscrapers across the river in Vienna, this city has a modern skyscraper area across the river.

I love these river walls! In the background you can see the newest "skyscraper ghetto". It's on the edge of town but has metro, tram, and highway access.

I'm still very happy with how this old town square turned out. Pretty close to the real thing?

Framed by the spires of old town square, the hilltop skyscraper ghetto looks pretty cool.

Main train station. Mostly for looks but tourists actually use it. The freight station is VERY well used, with almost all downtown commercial getting goods through it.

City Museum

Between the city centre and the large residential district of Namesti Miru is a large hillside park. In real life half of this park would be a vineyard! Any rows of grapes assets out there??

I just love these trams and tram stations!

Underground tram station (although the platform is obviously full sized)

Elevated tram station (actually too short for vanilla trains so perfect for the long trams I use!)

Tram station plowing through an older neighbourhood. Very popular station due to the metro stop.

Thanks for peepin'

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 28, 2015

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I wish there was a tool to name individual roads/highways like in SimCity 4 without resorting to the district tool.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Danny Glands posted:

I wish there was a tool to name individual roads/highways like in SimCity 4 without resorting to the district tool.

Yeah the label tool was useless but added charm.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So my city that's been humming along great to 150k suddenly has "transport cancer" as I call it. The streets are nearly empty, places that used to be high traffic intersections look like North Korea. People still drive on them, trucks and police cars and garbage trucks ply their usual routes, but everything seems more empty. Then the problems start, always with commercial not having goods. One building, then more, then entire districts claiming not enough goods to sell. Garbage and dead body icons pop up all over the city. Crime icons are addressed very slowly, sometimes it even seems fires don't elicit a large enough response. My imports drop from 4500 to 3000. Taxes begin to fall, buildings start to abandon.

It's a slow and frustrating death because it feels like a bug, it feels like something has gone wrong with vehicle spawning or pathing. Could I be hitting an agent limit and there's no available agents for delivery trucks? The one thing that hasn't stopped are my pedestrians. They swarm into metro stations and explode out others, they board trains, they hop on their bikes in great numbers. But where have the trucks gone??

My once clogged downtown freight station which was a constant mess of freight trucks streaming out is now only sporadically used. And that's what's so confusing, because it's all being used. It's not like traffic ++ has hosed up and won't let trucks drive on the roads. Delivery trucks drive past commercial begging for goods, they'e just going somewhere else.

Is this a known thing? Is there any work around or just abandon my city? I've had similar things happen at lower populations and I just built through and it got better, but in that case I was relying almost entirely on imports and I probably hit some limit. In this case I was importing about 4500 and exporting 2000-3000. I don't know if more industry will help as the problem seems to be not enough delivery trucks actually spawning. It's as if the whole system where a building makes a cry for help and something is dispatched is failing. The goods never come because the game never sends them.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I make bus and metro lines smartly?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I make bus and metro lines smartly?

Lines should radiate out from your CBD to residential neighborhoods using simple paths. Hub and spoke method. For bus lines, make sure your bus stops aren't placed too closely together on major streets clogging up an entire lane of traffic. Connect CBDs (hubs) with mass transit as needed to reduce highway traffic.

Place pedestrian pathways near stops, and allow paths to connect sidewalks of nearby residential areas, allowing pedestrians to take shortcuts, they'll almost always take them which unloads big intersections feeding neighborhoods.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 29, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Baronjutter posted:

I figured out the camera tool, really expanded the city and added a TRAM SYSTEM. I'm still so excited about the ability to control exactly which vehicles use which lines.

An overview of the whole city, so far. I might replace the ugly over-sized highway system with 6 lane roads set to 80kph and the traffic lights replaced with actual highway style ramps.

I had never actually placed an airport on the map in skylines, not even when the game first came out. Barely anyone uses it, planes with 20 or 80 out of 200 people show up in clumps, tourism still seems useless. But it's enough to generate enough traffic to justify the little tram stop. It's only 2 stops long, goes from the nearest metro/tram interchange to the airport and just has one vehicle going back and forth. Like any proper airport there's some big ugly modern hotels right next to it for people who want to pay double to enjoy the view and sounds of an airport??

Thanks to the building themes mod I can build nice european cities but still have actual skylines in places. Much like the clumps of ugly skyscrapers across the river in Vienna, this city has a modern skyscraper area across the river.

I love these river walls! In the background you can see the newest "skyscraper ghetto". It's on the edge of town but has metro, tram, and highway access.

I'm still very happy with how this old town square turned out. Pretty close to the real thing?

Framed by the spires of old town square, the hilltop skyscraper ghetto looks pretty cool.

Main train station. Mostly for looks but tourists actually use it. The freight station is VERY well used, with almost all downtown commercial getting goods through it.

City Museum

Between the city centre and the large residential district of Namesti Miru is a large hillside park. In real life half of this park would be a vineyard! Any rows of grapes assets out there??

I just love these trams and tram stations!

Underground tram station (although the platform is obviously full sized)

Elevated tram station (actually too short for vanilla trains so perfect for the long trams I use!)

Tram station plowing through an older neighbourhood. Very popular station due to the metro stop.

Thanks for peepin'

:eyepop: Gorgeous city, makes me want to get back into playing (and modding).

Any 70s vehicle mods yet?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do building have a high fire risk when there is a station right next to them? Why do buildings burn down when stations have 0/6 trucks operating?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 29, 2015

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Being close to a fire station (or even being a fire station) doesn't prevent you from catching fire.

Back with SimCity 2000, I actually used the Urban Renewal Kit to place the fire graphic on the Fire Station graphic so it always looked like it was burning.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Yes but why?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baronjutter posted:

Could I be hitting an agent limit and there's no available agents for delivery trucks?

The agent limit is about 150k, so yeah you probably are.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Is there any way around this? I see people posting crazy cities of like 200k or even 300k and their cities are covered by lack of goods icons. Should I get rid of everything tourism related to free up agent space? Minimize commercial? How do they do it?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Your city is really pretty, I especially like that old town stuff you have there, but what is this talk about over-sized highways?

Highways are awesome.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

So I have no idea what was going wrong but it's fine now. I started to replace commercial with office and really look at trying to cut out tourists. While I was thinking and investigating a flood of ships and boats arrived. My imports went from 2000 to 5000 a flood of trucks took care of the back log. Things seem stable now. Don't know if the game needed a reload or the city just needed time or what.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Baronjutter posted:

So I have no idea what was going wrong but it's fine now. I started to replace commercial with office and really look at trying to cut out tourists. While I was thinking and investigating a flood of ships and boats arrived. My imports went from 2000 to 5000 a flood of trucks took care of the back log. Things seem stable now. Don't know if the game needed a reload or the city just needed time or what.

I wonder if it was some kind of clog in whatever queuing process is responsible for calculating agent paths? It sounds like re-zoning somehow reset that process and let it sort itself out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

deadly_pudding posted:

I wonder if it was some kind of clog in whatever queuing process is responsible for calculating agent paths? It sounds like re-zoning somehow reset that process and let it sort itself out.

Yeah I don't know if it was the re-zoning, or building a new river port or what. Or just time. Or actually most likely the re-starting of the game. I've had a few odd mod problems where I had to re-start. Like no-pillars getting stuck in overlap mode, or the terrain editing tools not letting me select them. Usually it's just an interface issue.

Also what influences population growth? Obviously population comes in two steps, the first is R demand to build the physical housing, then a mysterious force that makes people move into said housing. I have low unemployment and the city is wonderful and running nice but my population growth has been stuck in the negative for a long time now, something like -480 or so. Even though I'm slowly building more housing my population went from about 150k to 140k. Most all my core housing is at like 12/12 or 21/22, so quite full. But on the outskirts of town in my plop-slums they're all stuck at 16/22 or so. I have them locked at level 1, but the capacity is there. Tons of free housing slots, lots of demand for R, yet negative growth??

What factors influence the actual population growth? Why is my crappy housing only 2/3 full ? Do cims move into nicer housing first and avoid lower level housing? If cims get educated beyond a certain point do they actively hate living in lower level housing to the point that they'll move out if no better housing is around?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Friction posted:

Your city is really pretty, I especially like that old town stuff you have there, but what is this talk about over-sized highways?

Highways are awesome.

What mod are you using for the walls on your freeway cuts here?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

What mod are you using for the walls on your freeway cuts here?

Sunken Wall Assets Reloaded - To make sunken highways with overpasses you'll also need terraforming tools, fine road heights and road anarchy. The collection page in steam has proper tutorials on how to use these assets. The off/on ramps especially are finicky to build, but they do look great

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
It's really unfortunate that those sunken walls are so constrained in geometry because of them having to be plopped. Some more precise terraforming tools plus generic materiel brushes would be so much more flexible. Same goes for canals :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's just something you have to live with when mixing vector based tools and square assets.

To fix it properly they'd have to add code to the road building stuff, like if you press page down to sink a road you press a different button to make walls instead of a tunnel.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know CO only has so much time but I'm a bit surprised at the amount of very basic things you have to do with mods. Fine roads heights should just be how the game works, should be one of those updates in a patch they did instantly like with right clicking to reverse one way streets. 12m height increments is nuts and hogties what you can do.

Or how you have to get a mod to manually control the number of vehicles on a transit line. It's just a really good idea that most everyone wants, global funding via budget just doesn't give the per-line control you need so you end up with a flood of buses on an unused line and still too few on a heavy line. Also you need a mod to make your transit vehicles not bunch up?? That should be vanilla.

I'll keep buying expansions with poorly implemented "new" features if they keep putting out patches that implements the most popular simple mods.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
On the upside, at least they did make it fairly easy to mod out of the box. I think a lot of it comes to them being a fairly small team, and they were probably planning it selling at about the same scale as the Cities in Motion games, i.e. still fairly niche, and couldn't budget for the really intensive playtesting that might've weeded out some of those problems. And with things like transit management, it seems like they wanted to aim for a medium between being able to organise the lines yourself but not having to overly micromanage them like in CiM, so things like the bunching up got missed.

It was probably Paradox who thought, no, this could do really well in the wake of Simcity 2013 being hot garbage, and marketed it thusly. (Come to think of it, Simcity 2013 was probably over-tested and they just kept taking any poo poo out that took more than 5 seconds to understand)

A lot of the stuff would probably need a bottom-up overhaul of all the systems and might need to wait for CSL 2, whenever that happens, since I think all this extra stuff would work better implemented natively.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Friction posted:

Highways are awesome.

What map is this?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

I know CO only has so much time but I'm a bit surprised at the amount of very basic things you have to do with mods. Fine roads heights should just be how the game works, should be one of those updates in a patch they did instantly like with right clicking to reverse one way streets. 12m height increments is nuts and hogties what you can do.

Or how you have to get a mod to manually control the number of vehicles on a transit line. It's just a really good idea that most everyone wants, global funding via budget just doesn't give the per-line control you need so you end up with a flood of buses on an unused line and still too few on a heavy line. Also you need a mod to make your transit vehicles not bunch up?? That should be vanilla.

I'll keep buying expansions with poorly implemented "new" features if they keep putting out patches that implements the most popular simple mods.

Welcome to the future. Why pay programmers to do work that players are willing to do for free? The smart modern game studio just makes sure the basic engine is functional and robust and turns it loose, knowing modders will do the rest.

This is why Bethesda et. al.'s attempts to enslave modders for extra profit is incredibly, idiotically shortsighted and self-destructive. They're just going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Paradox understands that the smart play is the exact opposite: Release a game that's simplistic and vanilla but stable and robust, sell it cheap, embrace the modding community and welcome modders to improve the game and add value.

e: The actual content the After Dark DLC adds is pretty embarrassing for its $30 price tag, but people happily buy it because that's how much goodwill Paradox has built with its customers.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 30, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Welcome to the future. Why pay programmers to do work that players are willing to do for free? The smart modern game studio just makes sure the basic engine is functional and robust and turns it loose, knowing modders will do the rest.

This is why Bethesda et. al.'s attempts to enslave modders for extra profit is incredibly, idiotically shortsighted and self-destructive. They're just going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Paradox understands that the smart play is the exact opposite: Release a game that's simplistic and vanilla but stable and robust, sell it cheap, embrace the modding community and welcome modders to improve the game and add value.

e: The actual content the After Dark DLC adds is pretty embarrassing for its $30 price tag, but people happily buy it because that's how much goodwill Paradox has built with its customers.

1. CO are a really small team working on a niche-y title.
2. Paradox is a publisher known for releasing overly complicated, unstable, and not at all robust titles.
3. After Dark cost $15 at release.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Huh. You are correct of course. Could have sworn I saw it at $30 when I checked last week :downs:

And you may be right about Paradox too but they definitely got the model right on this game and have been pretty drat cooperative with modders and players, so far as I know, so I'll stand by my post about them being pretty much the anti-EA/Bethesda.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Koesj posted:

2. Paradox is a publisher known for releasing overly complicated, unstable, and not at all robust titles.

This was definitely true a few years ago, but I'm not sure it applies to CK2/EU4-era Paradox. Yeah, there are still bugs, but I feel like their games are pretty drat good compared to other big/medium game publishers.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Yeah, up to Crusader Kings 2 Paradox as developers had a well-deserved reputation for jank but with CK2 they really tightened up their QC. Still a bit buggy at release as VostokProgram said but no more than you'd expect in new releases and they're been pretty conscientious with patches as well keeping things fresh with expansions etc.

As publishing goes, it seems like they're a good fit with CO.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Devil's advocate, there was that one super hilarious time when a CK2 patch broke the AI such that AI rulers could not ever disband their armies, turning the entire game into easy mode, and it took Paradox like 3 weeks to fix it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Devil's advocate, there was that one super hilarious time when a CK2 patch broke the AI such that AI rulers could not ever disband their armies, turning the entire game into easy mode, and it took Paradox like 3 weeks to fix it.

Bbbut they were on vacation!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was released just before the Christmas holidays - which admittedly was bad timing to release a patch, but you can't blame Paradox for not fixing a bug when they did not in fact have any devs available.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Also since then paradox have made previous versions available through steam beta functionality, so you can roll back if something is broken

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
That's great, and I freaking love them, but if you've been playing their games longer than the last two PDS releases the sentiment lingers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

That's great, and I freaking love them, but if you've been playing their games longer than the last two PDS releases the sentiment lingers.

My first paradox game was Victoria on launch :) :)

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Jodhnagar broke when I added styles (RIP :( ) but here's some shots of it in After Dark before it got killed:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Freudian posted:

It was released just before the Christmas holidays - which admittedly was bad timing to release a patch, but you can't blame Paradox for not fixing a bug when they did not in fact have any devs available.

Can we blame them for the obvious fact they really really wanted the patch out before their Christmas break so they rushed it out without doing any testing on it to make sure it didn't contain any extremely obvious game-breaking bugs?

I'm not fired up or anything, looking back it was pretty funny. Would've been better to just delay the patch and do some proper QA on it, but they probably learned their lesson.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Eric the Mauve your bitterness at game developers is pretty sad. I don't have much to contribute to the discussion otherwise but I just felt like saying. Not every game company is Big Dev out to cut every possible corner to save time so that they don't have to pay their employees or whatever.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does bicycling work? What is the downside of encouraging bicycling? Why isn't this documented somewhere?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

HORMELCHILI posted:

What map is this?

It's a stock ingame map, Sandy Beach with some terraforming thrown in.