Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

BCRock posted:

Something else we did back in the Forza 4 days that might be fun to bring back while we've got so many people playing would be the weekly time trial thing where every week we pick a specific car and track and everyone puts up their fastest hot lap time.

It's something people can do on their own time without having to worry about coordinating anything and it'd give us a reason to try driving some bone stock cars. I figure most of us do enough upgrading/tuning for our other races that this would be a nice break from worrying about that.

If people are interested in doing this, I can set up a Google doc to keep track of all the times.

I'd be down for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?
Time trials are my fav thing. Let's do it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I will actually play time trial with yall.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Lets do this poo poo then...

:siren:Goon Time Attack - Week 1:siren:

Car: 1991 BMW M3 (PI: 374)
Track: Road Atlanta Club

Rules & Such
  • Vehicle must have no upgrades. To revert any car to stock upgrades, get in the car and go into the Upgrade Shop from the Tune menu. Hit the Select button and pick "Reset default upgrades."
  • Anything that is adjustable by default on the car can be adjusted. For most cars, the only thing you'll be able to change is tire pressure. Go nuts.
  • Lap times must be clean laps. Probably goes without saying, but you never know.
  • Use whatever assists you want.
:siren:Here's a Google form where you can enter your time: http://goo.gl/forms/WXZq6fAyTp:siren:
After you enter your time you can click through to the spreadsheet to see everyone's times.

The confirmation link is there to post a screen grab of your times. It's optional. There are no prizes for setting the best lap time, so there's no reason for anyone to lie about their times, but since there's a good chance these times won't be our actual leaderboard times for any given class, it's there if we want to use it. Easiest way to get a screenshot: Any time during your lapping, pause the game. Your best lap should be there. Double-tap the glowing Xbox button and then press Y. About a minute later, your screenshot will be on xboxdvr.com/gamer/<yourgamertag>. Just paste the link to that page.

Each Saturday, I'll have a randomly selected participant pick the car and track for the next week. This first "week" will be a couple extra days and end on 11/7.

I did a few laps already and posted a 1:12.567. There's definitely another second or so to be had and I'm sure one of you jerks will post a 1:10 somehow.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Sounds fun, I am excited.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ok, i propose this saturday at 3pm. Weekend time trial series.

D class cars, nurburgring GP, No aero. 20 minutes to set the best time (Or we could make it a half hour or longer and just make it a chillout chat room, you can park for a rest)

What's he saying is that someone puts up a track and spec. Then we try to set the best time for that week. He's suggesting a hotlap contest where you have the whole week to play at your own pace and poo poo. Most of us that race GTCC only have enough gas to do one lobby event per week.

I'm down for some super casual hotlap contests.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Exactly. Getting 20 people together for organized races is laborious enough as it is and it's amazing that we even pull it off at all.

Everyone can participate in the weekly time attack, so all of the Euro goons and others who can't make the GTCC races can get in on this. And there's never any post race drama about people causing accidents!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Clues for the november DLC:

quote:

Clue One

Dominant, pioneering, and in Forza it's in a class by itself

Clue Two

I'm willing to bet it's silhouette alone will capture your heart.

Clue Three

So fast he could pull to the side, reset his systems and still win the race.

Clue Four

No worries mate! Pretty sure this will be a hit.

Clue Five

A millennial moonshot.

Clue Six

I'm not dumb, but I can't understand why more American cars don't take advantage of this technology.

Clue Seven

Shazbot, Nanu Nanu

Any ideas? Clue 6 is either a 1978 CJ or an Egg car. I hope two is a 90s oldsmobile minivan :allears:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Clues for the november DLC:

Any ideas? Clue 6 is either a 1978 CJ or an Egg car. I hope two is a 90s oldsmobile minivan :allears:

Egg car would be hilarious

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I'm betting on 6 being the old Opel GT with the hand lever that flips the headlights over. And if there is a God in heaven, #2 is the Skyline Silhouette Formula, widely known as being the greatest car in Gran Turismo 2.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Finally have gotten around to playing this again when real life got in the way. This game needs an MGB, specifically so I can do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5xTxMYWvXI

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
C'mon Oldsmobile Silhouette!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v13jWdlKSFs

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

I'm the dad.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Man this is the hardest crossword puzzle I've ever had try to figure out.

I'm thinking 6 is some sort of hybrid or electric car. Maybe a Tesla.

I think 7 is the Prowler cause when I plugged it in to google, it came up with album songs from Highway to Hell and whatever, it makes sense.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If we're doing "Guess a random car that has nothing to do with the clue",

clearly all of them are Porsches.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Endbuster posted:

I think 7 is the Prowler cause when I plugged it in to google, it came up with album songs from Highway to Hell and whatever, it makes sense.

Huh? Those phrases are both references to Mork and Mindy. So it's probably a Jeep.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I've been working on weaning my habit of TCS and STM over the last few days and have another Differential question - right now with the Merc 190:

With RWD, coming out of the turn if the rear inside tire is burning out while the outside one isn't, is that too little Acceleration %? If I'm correct, I think I'm getting a better understanding of how the differential is better tuned without TCS/STM.

I'm also getting a lot of oversteer until I get to 40-50% deceleration % and it starts to corner rather well.

I still have the default springs, but race ARB and I haven't touched them yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the inside wheel is spinning and you don't want it to, the diff is locking early so raise the percentage.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If the inside wheel is spinning and you don't want it to, the diff is locking early so raise the percentage.

Nice, thanks! The last adjustment or so by ~5% started making the wheel spin so yeah I think I know where I want it. Now I can focus on the rest.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

geeves posted:

I've been working on weaning my habit of TCS and STM over the last few days and have another Differential question - right now with the Merc 190:

With RWD, coming out of the turn if the rear inside tire is burning out while the outside one isn't, is that too little Acceleration %? If I'm correct, I think I'm getting a better understanding of how the differential is better tuned without TCS/STM.

I'm also getting a lot of oversteer until I get to 40-50% deceleration % and it starts to corner rather well.

I still have the default springs, but race ARB and I haven't touched them yet.

Hey man. When you're adjust the accelaration, its easier to start high and work your way down. The tooltip has some awkward wording. If you're trying to get the diff to lock up sooner, you have to raise the percentage... but its easier to start with a high percent and work down to the point at which one wheel starts spinning, then raise it a little again.

For example: I would start with 85% percent then work down by 10 percent increments. Lets say it the wheel starts spinning at 65%. I'll raise it by 1% until it stops. Boom, now your diff will lock when it supposed too when you give the car full throttle out of apex.

Deceleration is always a low % to keep the diff locked since it'll give you that nice controlled feel if you're on the brakes while turning into a corner. You can do the reverse process I described for acceleration. Start low, then start going higher. You should be able to see/feel the car's rear end locking the diff. Tire temps will give it away too. Most of my RWD poo poo is sub 25% I usually start at 5%.

To tune the oversteer out, though its all about playing with the rear suspension if the rear end is sliding and getting the weight planted through your whole corner maneuver.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Endbuster posted:

Hey man. When you're adjust the accelaration, its easier to start high and work your way down. The tooltip has some awkward wording. If you're trying to get the diff to lock up sooner, you have to raise the percentage... but its easier to start with a high percent and work down to the point at which one wheel starts spinning, then raise it a little again.

For example: I would start with 85% percent then work down by 10 percent increments. Lets say it the wheel starts spinning at 65%. I'll raise it by 1% until it stops. Boom, now your diff will lock when it supposed too when you give the car full throttle out of apex.

Deceleration is always a low % to keep the diff locked since it'll give you that nice controlled feel if you're on the brakes while turning into a corner. You can do the reverse process I described for acceleration. Start low, then start going higher. You should be able to see/feel the car's rear end locking the diff. Tire temps will give it away too. Most of my RWD poo poo is sub 25% I usually start at 5%.

To tune the oversteer out, though its all about playing with the rear suspension if the rear end is sliding and getting the weight planted through your whole corner maneuver.

Yeah I started at 75 and worked down to about 20 about 5 at a time. Not sure if that's normal or not. Deceleration was a lot easier and right now is around 45 I think. It mostly feels good so far except for below:

I think it's more throttle control but The last turn (and sometimes the hairpin in the middle) at hockenheim, I tend to either get loose and lose control and spin out - even when not on the accelerator at all -especially if I hit the rumble strips on the inside corner I just get spun around even at low speeds.

I'm going to drop an engine upgrade and get the suspension to see what I can improve. I'll start with dat rear end

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

geeves posted:

Yeah I started at 75 and worked down to about 20 about 5 at a time. Not sure if that's normal or not. Deceleration was a lot easier and right now is around 45 I think. It mostly feels good so far except for below:

I think it's more throttle control but The last turn (and sometimes the hairpin in the middle) at hockenheim, I tend to either get loose and lose control and spin out - even when not on the accelerator at all -especially if I hit the rumble strips on the inside corner I just get spun around even at low speeds.

I'm going to drop an engine upgrade and get the suspension to see what I can improve. I'll start with dat rear end

When I'm feeling more ambitious (not lazy) I'll put out the entire tune I've been messing with and you can play with it. I'll have it out number by number part by part so you can dick around with it and see what it looks like on paper. I mean, I totally tune stuff for the way I drive (I sometimes get lazy and shore up deficiencies with controller inputs) instead of tuning it out, but hey you can take a stab at a car set up for no ABS STM TCS.

The Forza Forums Tuner's lounge has a bunch of "open source" tunes and poo poo you can look at to see what works and what doesn't and you'll start noticing trends for the suspension settings. Its like the Matrix man, its all gibberish and then you just start seeing the patterns in the code. You'll get to the point where you can just look at a car's weight, body type, and weight distribution and BS the little tuney sliders without even driving it and get the car set up decently.

---
20 is fine if it isn't burning the inside tire out. I mean, that car does have boatloads of grip and not a ton of power to break em loose. When a car is tight and you don't have TCS or have that instict to go ahead and countersteer if you lose traction mid corner, its normal to spin out. No biggie. The rumble strip stuff is just an issue with ride height. Put it up to get more shock/suspension travel for the rumble strip height. Very rarely will you ever adjust stiffness to be able to navigate a rumble strip. For reference my Volvo last week was bottomed out with squishy suspension (cause I gotta be hella flush baby) and the rumbles on the back 180 degree sweeper would punt me off the road if I went over it. Sockington's civic however, with its super tight suspension had the ride height to be able to get a tire on the rumble and be fine.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 31, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Holy wow the Chaparral 2E is immensely fun to drive stock. They need to add more Chaparrals.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I wonder if clue 4 is a Subaru Outback. Didn't Paul Hogan say that in the ads?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

BCRock posted:

Lets do this poo poo then...

:siren:Goon Time Attack - Week 1:siren:

Car: 1991 BMW M3 (PI: 374)
Track: Road Atlanta Club

Rules & Such
  • Vehicle must have no upgrades. To revert any car to stock upgrades, get in the car and go into the Upgrade Shop from the Tune menu. Hit the Select button and pick "Reset default upgrades."
  • Anything that is adjustable by default on the car can be adjusted. For most cars, the only thing you'll be able to change is tire pressure. Go nuts.
  • Lap times must be clean laps. Probably goes without saying, but you never know.
  • Use whatever assists you want.
:siren:Here's a Google form where you can enter your time: http://goo.gl/forms/WXZq6fAyTp:siren:
After you enter your time you can click through to the spreadsheet to see everyone's times.

The confirmation link is there to post a screen grab of your times. It's optional. There are no prizes for setting the best lap time, so there's no reason for anyone to lie about their times, but since there's a good chance these times won't be our actual leaderboard times for any given class, it's there if we want to use it. Easiest way to get a screenshot: Any time during your lapping, pause the game. Your best lap should be there. Double-tap the glowing Xbox button and then press Y. About a minute later, your screenshot will be on xboxdvr.com/gamer/<yourgamertag>. Just paste the link to that page.

Each Saturday, I'll have a randomly selected participant pick the car and track for the next week. This first "week" will be a couple extra days and end on 11/7.

I did a few laps already and posted a 1:12.567. There's definitely another second or so to be had and I'm sure one of you jerks will post a 1:10 somehow.
First, thanks for putting this together.

Just set a lap time and submitted. The form is nice, but the display of information is kinda...a mess, no offence. Seems like it just makes a list of Gamertags, a list of Times, and a list of Links, but you can't tell which one goes with which. My GT is 2nd in the list, my time is 5th, and my link is 1st. I've never used googleForms before so I don't really know what it's capable of, but maybe a GoogleDocs Sheet that's open to edit would work better if Forms can't sort.

I set a 1:10.722 btw :rice:

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah, the first results page you see after you submit is a useless piece of garbage. But from that page you can click View All Responses up at the top and it takes you to the actual spreadsheet. Then you can just go straight to the spreadsheet to see the posted times.

Nice work on the 1:10. That's pretty drat quick in that car.

Edit: Direct link to the results spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/CpHIeL

BCRock fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 31, 2015

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
1:12.674

my son is being a butt head and wont let me race anymore :(

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
did a 1:10.763. Its on rivals in you need confirmation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Watch Panda and/or Harrison run a 1:09

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Cubey posted:

Watch Panda and/or Harrison run a 1:09

Hah! I'm at 1:09.999 right now.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Welp,

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If we're doing "Guess a random car that has nothing to do with the clue",

clearly all of them are Porsches.

Porsche is coming next Spring.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Zinjnok posted:

Hah! I'm at 1:09.999 right now.

drat dude.

I just raced Dizzle's 1:10.763 ghost for about 25 laps. I can get at least 2 or 3 tenths of a second ahead by the bottom of the first hill after the little S curves, but I cannot for the life of me get the entry into the sweeping right-hander down. I give up all of my lead on that stupid turn every time.

I know I can do the S section after the downhill a bit quicker too, but that part is 50/50 because you have to get on the brakes at exactly the right spot and then ease on the throttle going back up the hill perfectly to not ruin your time and then gently caress up your speed going into the next lap.

If I could put all of my best sections together in the same lap I'd be around 1:10.3xx. Getting another 3 tenths on top of that is probably beyond my abilities.:argh:

Oh, and even if you can't beat whatever the top time is, you guys can still put your best times on the sheet, since that's what I'll use to determine who gets to pick next week's car and track. Dizzle, I put your time on the sheet for you. You're welcome.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 1, 2015

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Endbuster posted:

When I'm feeling more ambitious (not lazy) I'll put out the entire tune I've been messing with and you can play with it. I'll have it out number by number part by part so you can dick around with it and see what it looks like on paper. I mean, I totally tune stuff for the way I drive (I sometimes get lazy and shore up deficiencies with controller inputs) instead of tuning it out, but hey you can take a stab at a car set up for no ABS STM TCS.

The Forza Forums Tuner's lounge has a bunch of "open source" tunes and poo poo you can look at to see what works and what doesn't and you'll start noticing trends for the suspension settings. Its like the Matrix man, its all gibberish and then you just start seeing the patterns in the code. You'll get to the point where you can just look at a car's weight, body type, and weight distribution and BS the little tuney sliders without even driving it and get the car set up decently.

---
20 is fine if it isn't burning the inside tire out. I mean, that car does have boatloads of grip and not a ton of power to break em loose. When a car is tight and you don't have TCS or have that instict to go ahead and countersteer if you lose traction mid corner, its normal to spin out. No biggie. The rumble strip stuff is just an issue with ride height. Put it up to get more shock/suspension travel for the rumble strip height. Very rarely will you ever adjust stiffness to be able to navigate a rumble strip. For reference my Volvo last week was bottomed out with squishy suspension (cause I gotta be hella flush baby) and the rumbles on the back 180 degree sweeper would punt me off the road if I went over it. Sockington's civic however, with its super tight suspension had the ride height to be able to get a tire on the rumble and be fine.

Many thanks!

I keep track of all my tunes and track the times in google sheets as I make adjustments (at least the ones I am really interested in working on). That one is just the 1900 Merc.

Just from messing with the rear springs, I nearly immediately dropped 3 seconds on average at Hockenheim. It's finally starting to click in my mind what you, and Dashoe (and others) have said about being aware of the weight. Softening the springs in the rear added weight to the rear much like having the wing would when accelerating and stopped nearly all of the wheel spin and lowering the Bump helped when rolling over the rumble strips from sending my car on two wheels. I now can better understand how you guys can power through turns and not lose control as I feel more stable accelerating through certain turns instead of just "coasting" after I brake.

I did try one of your tunes the summer before last with the DTM GRC series for the 93 Cobra. It didn't fit my style then, but I'd be interested in seeing how it lines up now, or if it just gave some base ideas to try that's always helpful. I've tried the open source tunes on the Forza forums, none of them really fit either. I don't know if it's because I use the TX wheel or what. But there have been a few tunes I've used (not open tunes) that work really well.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Ten lap impression so far - 01:08:562

Hell on roller skates, the E30 M3 is an sad combination of 80's bodyroll and 80's bike tires. It has a new phenomena of grip loss that I have nicknamed 'weirdsteer', when you understeer and oversteer at the same time.

I'm still only a few hours into Forza 6, but I noticed one aspect has been vastly improved over 4 - On-brake weight shifting and trail braking at far less understeer heavy now and you can left foot brake to balance the car into the corners a bit. Hoping to shape up my driving with you guys soon - I noticed I've got severe problems with brake lockup with this new controller.

Spades fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 2, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Its called "BMWs are heavy and all drive like poo poo."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Turn 10 is hinting at something big coming out shortly after this month's car pack. Rumor is that it might be a free track. Maybe Maple Valley.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Track has a 1:07 in it, but outside of a dirty 1:08:1 I didn't get any closer over 30 laps. Gonna call it a day on this one - the E30 is just a bit too tiresome to drive on the longterm.

ED: Taking some time to add some of you butts to my friend list so I can lock up brakes and run into the back of you all on turn1.

Spades fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Turn 10 is hinting at something big coming out shortly after this month's car pack. Rumor is that it might be a free track. Maybe Maple Valley.

Car clubs!!

• Locked thread