Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Can that spray go over paint to seal it all in after I'm done, or should it go directly onto the spackle? I'm starting to think I should just prime/paint tonight and see how it holds for now, as I will probably only have 10 hours total to spray and dry many, many coats of paint. Adding another step beforehand might not let me finish in time.

Normally I'd feel bad about slightly derailing a thread but I'm not really interrupting any discussion about what's actually in the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Geoff Zahn posted:

Can that spray go over paint to seal it all in after I'm done, or should it go directly onto the spackle? I'm starting to think I should just prime/paint tonight and see how it holds for now, as I will probably only have 10 hours total to spray and dry many, many coats of paint. Adding another step beforehand might not let me finish in time.

Normally I'd feel bad about slightly derailing a thread but I'm not really interrupting any discussion about what's actually in the game :v:

When you're applying a different top coat, you always want to make sure the bottom coat has cured fully. If it's paint on paint, it's not as big of a deal because spray paint dries quickly and the worst that can happen is the bottom coat shows through the top coat a little, but most resins take a day or two to cure and the paint might react with the uncured portions of the bottom coat and get splotchy or not adhere fully.

Are you going to glue on wires & pipes and other bits & bobs afterwards? You might only need 1 coat of primer & 1 top coat, any lettering from the cardboard or whatever that shows through will be partly obscured by the bric-a-brac and might just look like faded markings it's supposed to have.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Yeah, going to add the cable and brackets the run along the top after I paint. Nothing else though, as I didn't really have a good way to add in small details using the materials I have on hand at the moment. I'm using the rustoleum hammered pewter spray paint so it should give it good cover and texture to hide anything under it. I was only going to do a lot of coats to seal in the spackle, but I guess I can do less, see how it holds up, and then do touch ups / resin it at a later date. Right now it just needs to look pretty for photos and survive one or two drunk idiots possibly picking it up, and even without paint on it nothing has crumbled despite setting it down a little two hard or smacking a tabletop when being careless.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 29, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Least it's not beer

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If it isn't glowing on its own then it's not real Nuka Cola Quantum :colbert:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I kinda wish they'd sell posters of the Nuka-Cola Thurst Zapper instead of just having it on a cheap watch or a t-shirt.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Geoff Zahn posted:

Luckily my office doesn't think that way so I get free laser rifle barrels!
Management ignoring IT is why we will end up in the apocalypse. "Why should we buy a new printer for 600 bucks when this one works just fine and its four toner cartridges only cost $250 each, and last for five thousand whole pages!?"

It's certainly why I got out of IT.

also I'm totally sure you took that toner drum and the pre-paid return shipping label and mailed it in to be properly disposed of after you turned its box into a halloween laser gun

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I'm at PAX Aus today, there are Fallout things around the place...I'll let you know if I see anything cool!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Flavor is Berry Lemonade and it's being produced by Jones Soda Company. http://www.target.com/p/nuka-cola/-/A-50148691#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=nuka+cola I'd expect the label to mention Fallout, but it doesn't. If you didn't know Nuka Cola was from Fallout you would have no idea what's up with the bottle.

Here's the release schedule for the game somebody over at Reddit made.

New Zealand will be a very popular VPN host on the 9th.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I thought they said it was a set release time of midnight PST and NOT a rolling release? Specifically to avoid people doing VPN poo poo.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
That chart is correct, It's on the official site, right below the system requirements:
https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/prepare-for-the-future-fallout-4-important-release-info/2015/10/08/35

Why even make a chart? It's not that hard to understand.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i will be buying nuka cola quantum

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Where can i order the collectors edition?

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, the fact that I ordered from GMG will prevent me from abusing VPN's too much, but it's nice to know that it's an option.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

coyo7e posted:

Management ignoring IT is why we will end up in the apocalypse. "Why should we buy a new printer for 600 bucks when this one works just fine and its four toner cartridges only cost $250 each, and last for five thousand whole pages!?"

It's certainly why I got out of IT.

also I'm totally sure you took that toner drum and the pre-paid return shipping label and mailed it in to be properly disposed of after you turned its box into a halloween laser gun

We had this happen with a wide-format printer. Wasted $5k trying to get it repaired and finally gave up when we caught the tech they sent us "field modifying" some of the parts because he was too lazy to send them back when they didn't fit right. The new wide-format printer we bought cost less than we wasted trying to repair the old one. I don't even know why management asks for IT's opinion before making these decisions when they know they aren't going to listen. You are 100% right about the cause of the coming apocalypse. It's going to be some dumb rear end project manager convincing management self improving AI would be the best thing ever to improve the <insert agile buzz words> of their scrum meetings. :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm at PAX Aus today, there are Fallout things around the place...I'll let you know if I see anything cool!

There is supposed to be some sort of Fallout trivia thing tomorrow but it appears to be the only thing related to Fallout or Bethesda, wouldn't surprise me to find out that they have something else in store. The event occurs at ~3AM local time for me so I guess I'll find out when I wake up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

sout posted:

@mods ban this guy

crew is credits, right?

It's actually something Monster Brew related.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

nevermind

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 30, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cernunnos posted:

I thought they said it was a set release time of midnight PST and NOT a rolling release? Specifically to avoid people doing VPN poo poo.

Somehow my computer was in Jakarta for a few minutes when Skyrim came out. :iiam:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Yaos posted:

Flavor is Berry Lemonade and it's being produced by Jones Soda Company. http://www.target.com/p/nuka-cola/-/A-50148691#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=nuka+cola I'd expect the label to mention Fallout, but it doesn't. If you didn't know Nuka Cola was from Fallout you would have no idea what's up with the bottle.

I love that flavor, second only to crushed melon which they recently brought back but you can only buy directly from them online for $25/12 bottles.

I miss when Jones was so ubiquitous around here that they sold it in cans as twelve packs like regular soda.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Yaos posted:

That's the proper way to do merch in my opinion. Too many times I'll see a shirt that I might theoretically want to buy, only to check the reverse side and have it consists of a giant ad for the company. Bethesda is one of the ones that does it right. If you buy a Red Rocket shirt from them there is no indication that it's not a regular station where you can fill up on gas, diesel or fusion cores.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's actually something Monster Brew related.

When is that gang tag going to happen?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its not hard to get a gangtag, you just gotta have it designed and then PM an admin about it

as long as its rougly the same size as this

you'll be good to go

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
There were Fallout 4 ads all over the subway turnstiles in NYC when I left work tonight. Must have been put up today because they weren't there this morning.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Sorry guys, nothing new or interesting at PAX Aus, just trailers we've seen 100 times on the Internet.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Can I be a cannibal raider in this game like i could in the earlier ones?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

FirstPersonShitter posted:

God I loving hope so.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

One of the perk mini-cartoons is somebody eating somebody, so presumably.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cloud the Cat posted:

Sorry guys, nothing new or interesting at PAX Aus, just trailers we've seen 100 times on the Internet.

My fingers were crossed and everything. Oh well. It's pretty surprising how tight lipped they've been about it. On one hand it could mean that there is a lot of cool poo poo and they're trying to keep it under wraps. On the other it's garbage and they're trying to keep it under wraps. I don't know how to feel about it.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Meridian posted:

My fingers were crossed and everything. Oh well. It's pretty surprising how tight lipped they've been about it. On one hand it could mean that there is a lot of cool poo poo and they're trying to keep it under wraps. On the other it's garbage and they're trying to keep it under wraps. I don't know how to feel about it.

Somehow I doubt this will be garbage but yeah I don't like this marketing strategy too much. It sure is at least effective in generating ~HYPE~ in most places but I would like more info about it

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
They've supposedly been finished with the game since E3 and used the time to bugfix and optimize.

I'm doubtful that they're hiding bad things. When companies want to hide bad things they generate hype with excessive marketing and highly tailored gameplay videos.

I think they're confident and are just waiting for the floodgates to unleash on launch day.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really don't see what further market penetration they can really achieve. Who would the marketing be directed to?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I really don't see what further market penetration they can really achieve. Who would the marketing be directed to?

Who are coke ads targeting? I don't really know but, much like coke itself, they are everywhere.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Inverness posted:

They've supposedly been finished with the game since E3 and used the time to bugfix and optimize.

I'm doubtful that they're hiding bad things. When companies want to hide bad things they generate hype with excessive marketing and highly tailored gameplay videos.

I think they're confident and are just waiting for the floodgates to unleash on launch day.

I'm hoping that's the case. Review embargo doesn't end until the day before launch. Not that there's really a right or wrong way to do that, I guess, but that doesn't inspire confidence. You maybe avoid major publications only putting ten hours into it before churning out their stuff, but I want more info.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Michaellaneous posted:

A Hideo Kojima Game.

A Spike Lee Joint.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inverness posted:

That's the feeling I've gotten as well. Any game that has a million banners and expertly edited trailers that don't really show anything means I'm going to be extremely wary.

Bethesda doesn't need to advertise and it's nice to see a company that rich show some restraint *cough*Rockstar*cough*

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Cannibal is the endurance 8 perk.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Seashell Salesman posted:

Who are coke ads targeting? I don't really know but, much like coke itself, they are everywhere.

The difference is that Coke has direct competition in the form of every other soda out there. Coke ads still serve a purpose -- they make you want to buy Coke over something else.

Fallout 4 doesn't really have any competition when it's releasing, and even if it did the people who are interested in FO4 are still going to buy it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm impressed how quick it's been between the E3 announcement and release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

The difference is that Coke has direct competition in the form of every other soda out there. Coke ads still serve a purpose -- they make you want to buy Coke over something else.

Fallout 4 doesn't really have any competition when it's releasing, and even if it did the people who are interested in FO4 are still going to buy it.

When you start looking around, you begin to notice that only a handful of titles get HUGE advertising budgets blown on them, many games release just as much information as Bethesda has before releasing their game. My guess is they've realized they don't need to break the bank constantly stoking the fires, people are going to buy this game regardless.

• Locked thread