Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The new thing seems to be circles for people, our favorite quadrilaterals for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I prefer the term quadrangles.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Having totally forgotten about it - I just got notification from MS that my Band 2 is on it's way. Shipping says it's in Shenzen CN. Can't wait!

Relatedly, I assume the 640 Bluetooth antenna lets you connect to more than one object at a time, right? Can I be on my handsfree on a call and have emails etc. pushed to the watch at the same time?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

Having totally forgotten about it - I just got notification from MS that my Band 2 is on it's way. Shipping says it's in Shenzen CN. Can't wait!

Yeah, I got my shipping notification as well this morning, hopefully it gets here a little quicker than they are guessing, but we shall see!

bushes
Nov 6, 2003

Kids running around naked fuckin' in the bushes

The Lord Bude posted:

Nope. If you're really lucky, next year or so when/if desktop edge starts supporting extensions, you might be able to get one for the phone version as well. Edge on phone 10 is a clusterfuck at the moment though, or at least it was before I left windows phone.

Really? I just updated to 10 this past week and it's a hell of a lot better on my 635 than IE was. Less crashing, faster response etc. My phone as a whole feels better with the latest build. Pretty pleased so far!

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, I got my shipping notification as well this morning, hopefully it gets here a little quicker than they are guessing, but we shall see!

2nd Oct to SF. Eurgh. I shall now end posting delivery updates, I don't want to be that guy.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Whats are good 8.1 podcast/music apps? Tried the basic Windows Phone for desktop app to transfer files from itunes because I was in a hurry and the podcasts transferred fine (but the default app for them sucks), but the mp3's don't even show up in the player. I downloaded a podcast app just called 'Casts' which seems nice for streaming them but I want to download them and transfer from my PC to save data since I'm on a 2gb plan.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Metro was generally well received by everyone who used it. The flipside of that indicates why metro is now dead.

MSFT: Innovate, make something great, gently caress it up completely in 18 months via redesigns that ruin the good bits and worsen the bad bits.

Every time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can anyone else on 10536 not update any apps whatsoever?

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

soapgish posted:

Podcast Lounge.

I prefer Pocket Cast but Podcast Lounge is probably my second favorite.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Podcast+ Pro is good. Podcasts! is bloody awful, it doesn't even have a Now Playing screen, you have to navigate through to the podcast and episode manually.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Indecisive posted:

Whats are good 8.1 podcast/music apps? Tried the basic Windows Phone for desktop app to transfer files from itunes because I was in a hurry and the podcasts transferred fine (but the default app for them sucks), but the mp3's don't even show up in the player. I downloaded a podcast app just called 'Casts' which seems nice for streaming them but I want to download them and transfer from my PC to save data since I'm on a 2gb plan.

That model sadly seems to have largely gone away, can you grab stuff via WiFi instead?

.Tim posted:

I prefer Pocket Cast but Podcast Lounge is probably my second favorite.

I'd second PocketCast, if for no other reason than the nice cross platform support.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

That model sadly seems to have largely gone away, can you grab stuff via WiFi instead?

I'd second PocketCast, if for no other reason than the nice cross platform support.

Yeah I was multitasking and forgot to mention that. Have it on my Note 4 and my 640 so I can go back and forth. Plus I prefer the UI.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Funkface posted:

2nd Oct to SF. Eurgh. I shall now end posting delivery updates, I don't want to be that guy.

Mine is in the US! Shenzhen to Tennessee!

Also holy poo poo I spelled Tennessee correctly on the first try. As a :canada: person, I am very proud of this! (I live in :911: now, but)

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Indecisive posted:

I just use the built-in Podcast app. I set it to only download over wifi or unlimited data plan. It syncs up automatically when I'm home overnight, and is good to go for the next day.

I tried EVERY other podcast app out there and disliked them all. None of them were as easy to use, or "just worked", anywhere near as well as the built-in podcast app. Some of them didn't even let me type in podcast RSS-feed URLs and only let me search. Others were badly integrated with background-play. Others failed to download podcasts when they should have, when I was at home on wifi. Others had garish UIs. Others failed to show images for the podcast feeds.

(I wrote an online service which looks at my OneDrive music folder, and synthesizes a podcast out of it with. Not all at once. It picks just several things out of my "Music\Talk" directory, about 3-5 episodes a day. Then my various devices can sync to this my personal podcast. I also wrote another service which every day downloads certain podcasts from the internet and sticks them into my OneDrive music folder. I love this stuff.)

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
I hope they're cooking up a new Windows 10 podcast app. It'd be really nice to continue a podcast on my pc from where I left off on my phone. Zune and WP7 used to do that, albeit with USB sync instead of the cloud.
The built-in one doesn't work well with Windows 10 Embedded Mobile. It doesn't download episodes automatically and it crashes all the time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The standard podcast app couldn't find any of the podcasts I wanted to subscribe to, iPodcast limits you to three podcasts before you have to pay and Podcasts! is total trash that doesn't even have a now playing tab, so you have to navigate to the podcast and episode manually. I can't find PocketCast on the store, so it may not be available for 10 yet?

The only one that I've liked so far is Podcast+ Pro, but at some point since moving to 10 it's stopped working, fails to update and won't let me uninstall it so I can't redownload it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 28, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The standard podcast app couldn't find any of the podcasts I wanted to subscribe to

Sadly the best results I've gotten out of the stock podcast app is finding the URL in iTunes and pasting it in, although that was 8.1. :(

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Maneki Neko posted:

Sadly the best results I've gotten out of the stock podcast app is finding the URL in iTunes and pasting it in, although that was 8.1. :(

that's how podcasts are supposed to work. copy rss url -> paste -> save. blame the idiot podcasters who don't have the url in a convenient place for copying for loving up the system, not microsoft.

/old-man-who-argued-rdf-wasn't-going-anywhere-in-university-then-some-rear end in a top hat-based-the-first-version-of-rss-podcasting-on-it-and-made-me-look-the-fool-until-everyone-switched-to-atom-feeds-and-rdf-sank-back-into-obscurity

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

PlaneGuy posted:

that's how podcasts are supposed to work. copy rss url -> paste -> save. blame the idiot podcasters who don't have the url in a convenient place for copying for loving up the system, not microsoft.

Exactly. The webpage should have icons like these...

The first icon (RSS) is a link like "https://website.com/podcast.xml" which you should be able to copy+paste into any podcast app. (FAIL! too many of the non-MS podcast apps don't work with https. And iTunes requires the url to identify a file with suffix .xml, which is pants. And some of the non-MS podcast apps don't even let you type in URLs. And two of them didn't work if the URL returned a 3xx "redirect" status code.)

The second icon (iTunes) is a link like "itpc://website.com/podcast.xml". (FAIL! None of the podcast apps I found on Windows Phone were able to hook themselves as the default handler for itpc:// protocol).

The third icon (Zune) is a link like "zune://subscribe/?Title=https://website.com/podcast.xml". (FAIL! On Windows Phone, clicking on this launches the Music app on its front page, rather than the Podcast app on its Subscribe page).

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

Mine is in the US! Shenzhen to Tennessee!

Also holy poo poo I spelled Tennessee correctly on the first try. As a :canada: person, I am very proud of this! (I live in :911: now, but)

I'm an idiot who doesn't understand how international shipping works. Apparently what was in Tennessee was the customs paperwork, the Band itself is still in Shenzhen :downs:

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

ljw1004 posted:

And two of them didn't work if the URL returned a 3xx "redirect" status code.

goddamn it's basic http it's only been around 20 years.

if (StatusCode!=200) throw new Error("Whoops! Eat poo poo! I'm a lousy programmer!")

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
New build of Windows 10 Mobile out. And lo and behold, my durable IAP purchases have been restored. Excellent!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Someone plz tell me if this one can successfully read local music files stored on an SD card, TIA

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I've got an Alcatel One Touch running Windows 10 from betabound.

It's big and plasticky.

Probably a bad thing, but I let it install the back up from my Lumia 925.

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Someone plz tell me if this one can successfully read local music files stored on an SD card, TIA

Seems to be working fine for me, but then again I didn't really have a problem doing that with the last build either.

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

I've got an Alcatel One Touch running Windows 10 from betabound.

It's big and plasticky.

Probably a bad thing, but I let it install the back up from my Lumia 925.

I put my 1520 backup on my 640 and had no issues.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
8.1 Are you seriously telling me that the alarm volume cannot be changed?

Sounds like a goddamn fire alarm going off, when all I need is a gentle beep.

Are they fcking kidding me?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Put an mp3 of a gentle beep in your ringtones folder.

Not that that excuses it, but at least it's easy enough to work around, I guess.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I figured I would try a windows phone since cricket had one for $29.99 that felt pretty solid. Is there a messenger compatible app that has a landscape keyboard? Using the mobile site to do messaging uses noticeably more data.

I'm really trying to give it a chance. The lack of a landscape keyboard in almost all third party apps is making it hard. The only bright spot so far compared to my cheap android 2 phone is that it has a better battery life while emulating the GBA.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

8.1 Are you seriously telling me that the alarm volume cannot be changed?

Sounds like a goddamn fire alarm going off, when all I need is a gentle beep.

Are they fcking kidding me?

It crescendos on mine.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I figured I would try a windows phone since cricket had one for $29.99 that felt pretty solid. Is there a messenger compatible app that has a landscape keyboard? Using the mobile site to do messaging uses noticeably more data.

I'm really trying to give it a chance. The lack of a landscape keyboard in almost all third party apps is making it hard. The only bright spot so far compared to my cheap android 2 phone is that it has a better battery life while emulating the GBA.

What kind of messaging are you talking about? They should support landscape.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think he means Facebook Messenger, but I've never been able to use landscape on any Facebook phone app on any OS, so I'm pretty sure that's just Facebook being monumentally poo poo.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I can use Facebook's Messenger app in landscape on my Android phone, though the text box takes up the entire screen, so that's annoying.

Doesn't look like I can use their Groups app in landscape, but can still type a message in landscape.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Yeah, facebook messenger. I was hoping there was a generic IM app I could use with a landscape keyboard. I had tried three different ones before I posted. None of them supported landscape. Just can't use both thumbs on a 5" portrait keyboard, so responding takes forever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Just can't use both thumbs on a 5" portrait keyboard, so responding takes forever.

It's funny, I learned QWERTY typing on a phone first with a Palm Centro and later on a 3.2" Android phone, so I still kind of think that the portrait keyboard on my 5.2" phone is too big. Why can't it scrunch into the middle a little more?!

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Is it just me, or is swiping to type broken on 10581? :doh:

EDIT: Only seems to affect Edge, but it definitely isn't working properly there. Instead of the usual list of suggestions, it pops that up for a split-second before auto-accepting the first entry, with backspacing just clearing out the individual letters rather than the whole word - and with the accuracy of swiping being worse on 10 than it was on 8, this makes it pretty much unusable.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Venusy posted:

Is it just me, or is swiping to type broken on 10581? :doh:

EDIT: Only seems to affect Edge, but it definitely isn't working properly there. Instead of the usual list of suggestions, it pops that up for a split-second before auto-accepting the first entry, with backspacing just clearing out the individual letters rather than the whole word - and with the accuracy of swiping being worse on 10 than it was on 8, this makes it pretty much unusable.

That's not happening to me at all. At first, swiping didn't work at all but it does now. And it seems to predict/correct just fine. Maybe give your phone the ol' power cycle?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't speak for battery life until I've used it for a few days, but the performance on 10581, on the 640 at least, is head and shoulders over what we had before. Everything from loading and switching apps to accessing the notifications area to loading web pages seems that much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

This build fixed the spazzing keyboard and has improved on performance a ton. Looking good !