Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Having your ship effectively disappear from the game when you're in the SRV just makes sense form a game design perspective.

Who are the people opposed to this? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Having the ship vulnerable at all doesn't make a whole ton of sense to me. I mean, assuming your ship blows up, what happens?

1. Your ship is dead, your player character keels over from overwhelming grief and respawns in a space station.

2. The space station says "whoops, your ship got blown up" and ships a new one out to you instantly for the cost of insurance.

3. Your person runs around in a scooty puff jr on the planet surface until the end of time, because other ships can't have passengers and can't give you a ride to the nearest station regardless.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I just bought this game, I'm getting nervous I'm in over my head already and it's not even done installing.

I'm already researching joysticks.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Disappointing Pie posted:

I just bought this game, I'm getting nervous I'm in over my head already and it's not even done installing.

X52. It matches the joystick your character has in the ship.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Hmm odd, got the launcher downloaded, got the game downloaded, went to Elite Dangerous and hit play and nothing happens, I get a blue loading bar for a few seconds but it just sits there. Tried validating data and stuff, still nothing, redownloading now through steam.

Hopefully me playing the Xbox One demo a few weeks ago didnt gently caress stuff up.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

sincx posted:

X52. It matches the joystick your character has in the ship.

Also get a time machine and go back to 2007 and buy it before Mad Catz got their greasy fingers on Saitek.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Thrustmaster HOTAS X is like 40-50 bucks and a very solid product. I recommend that.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Having your ship effectively disappear from the game when you're in the SRV just makes sense form a game design perspective.

Who are the people opposed to this? :psyduck:
I think it's a good idea, but they also make a big show of it blasting off into space.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Or does the ship just kinda vanish from existence when it launches until you call it back?

This. It's the instancing again, your ship only exists in your instance and when you send it off it disappears from the game. Even if someone jumps into your instance they can not find your ship as it doesn't exist. You call your ship back and after an amount of time it spawns back in, looking like it's dropping back to the surface.

I want to know how they are going to justify docking computers when every ship post Horizons comes with an auto pilot that can navigate around any planet and land on any planet automatically. Seems like a 1 ton docking computer doesn't make any sense if your ship already has an auto pilot.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Thrustmaster HOTAS X is like 40-50 bucks and a very solid product. I recommend that.

Seconded, works really well and is a robust and very serviceable beginners HOTAS, there are also control schemes flying around (on Amazon.de this is the best selling HOTAS)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That ton is actually taken up by a physical recording of Blue Danube engraved into a 6 foot steel disc.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KakerMix posted:

This. It's the instancing again, your ship only exists in your instance and when you send it off it disappears from the game. Even if someone jumps into your instance they can not find your ship as it doesn't exist. You call your ship back and after an amount of time it spawns back in, looking like it's dropping back to the surface.

I want to know how they are going to justify docking computers when every ship post Horizons comes with an auto pilot that can navigate around any planet and land on any planet automatically. Seems like a 1 ton docking computer doesn't make any sense if your ship already has an auto pilot.

Obviously planet landing is much easier, it just homes in on you personally and lands somewhere nearby. Docking requires interfacing with external computers, which means you have to have another computer that can interface with the station's computer.

The extra 1,990 lbs of weight comes from a backlog of 1,000 years worth of Windows/Macintosh/Linux installation CDs, since obviously every station might be running a different version, and it'd be just dumb to think that your computer can interface with everyone else's computer out of the box :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It'd be cool if docking computers could auto-land you at the nearest viable landing zone though. It's a chance to add more utility to a module that isn't that useful.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

tooterfish posted:

That ton is actually taken up by a physical recording of Blue Danube engraved into a 6 foot steel disc.

Pffff, my ton is taken up by an actual full, live orchestra to play it for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Strategic Tea posted:

It'd be cool if docking computers could auto-land you at the nearest viable landing zone though. It's a chance to add more utility to a module that isn't that useful.

obviously you've never gone on 8-hour-long mission drop-off runs because you underestimated how long it'd take you :suicide:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Strategic Tea posted:

Counterpoint: if you're running trade loops in a boat with a huge rear end, a docking computer is arguably the most useful thing in the world (in reducing tedious busywork).

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

I recommend getting a Thrustmaster T1600m. It's a very cheap stick but has the precision of a 300 dollar stick. It has a little throttle knob in a garbage position but it's more than workable especially since you don't necessarily need to adjust throttle often. If you decide you are really into the game you can pick up a standalone CH products throttle or something for 90 bucks or so later and use it with your T1600.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The extra 1,990 lbs of weight comes from a backlog of 1,000 years worth of Windows/Macintosh/Linux installation CDs, since obviously every station might be running a different version, and it'd be just dumb to think that your computer can interface with everyone else's computer out of the box :v:

I like to imagine the 1ton-computers are actually just the stupid and inevitable result of modular engineering after a thousand years of progress: If you want a computer, it has to fit in at least a CLASS 1 slot, because of regulations and poo poo. So if you go and actually take a look at the computer sitting in your module slot, you see it's just a giant, 0.9999 ton cage holding the computer like a craddle. The cage is the perfect size to fit in a class 1 slot and because of it's perfect rectangular form can easily fit into every other modular slot, too.

If you try to take the computer out of the module, you are fined for breaking the law. If you interface a non-compliant computer with a station, the station will shoot you dead.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Libluini posted:

If you try to take the computer out of the module, you are fined for breaking the law. If you interface a non-compliant computer with a station, the station will shoot you dead.

So just under a ton of DRM?

Edit: and mounting hardware

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

That means the average is 2253.95 tonnes/person. I'm quite surprised at the number of contributors, it seems a bit small. How many people play this game per day, I wonder?

edit: image size

kalel fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 30, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I should be doing that poo poo, shouldn't I?

Which system is it again?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
It's over now. There is two new CGS there one is for mining the other is bounties.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still poopsocking Rodgis (as far as my poor pilot's concerned, anyways :v:), is that Palladium CG another hauling one or does it require actually mining it for turn-ins?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Fuuuck spacemom dropped to Galactic 4 so her bonus is only at 20%

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

In hostile territories, specifically enemy control territories, interdict and kill any non-imperial power play ships for 30 merits each. Then turn them in and hate yourself.

Again, though, you will most likely have more fun doing anything else. Avril made many goons rich, but many of these fell to either the tedium of the grind, or the vast sea of nothingness that money unlocks.

OK so I tried this and

a) holy poo poo interdiction is really annoying and unfun
2) all I got were fines for the system

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I've had both the Thrustmaster HOTAS X and the X52 Pro and I like them both. The X52 is the same as the one in the ship so once I get a Vive or Oculus it'll really help MY IMMERSION. However, the THX is also amazing because despite the low price it's really durable and the throttle clicks in the middle just perfectly (obviously great for Elite). Isinona also uses the THX which sells it for me- watch a video here to see how much a pro this guy is -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXzEQyacMw

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

I've had both the Thrustmaster HOTAS X and the X52 Pro and I like them both. The X52 is the same as the one in the ship so once I get a Vive or Oculus it'll really help MY IMMERSION. However, the THX is also amazing because despite the low price it's really durable and the throttle clicks in the middle just perfectly (obviously great for Elite). Isinona also uses the THX which sells it for me- watch a video here to see how much a pro this guy is -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXzEQyacMw

So fill me in why I should be impressed

* slams into asteroids
* Says SR should break scan locks (I don't think it does?)
* Not even clear on the entire point of the video.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
hmmm

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Adult Sword Owner posted:

* slams into asteroids

Oh, it's cool because he does it all with Flight Assist off, which is hard to do. I don't think anyone here could fly as well as him with FA off, but maybe you can. It's assumed that it would take a lot of skill, so it's cool to know what tool he uses to get the results, that are to me, impressive.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

* slams into asteroids

isinona is a space wizard

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

* slams into asteroids

He is a loving ace pilot who flies constantly in FA off mode. He has an intimate knowledge of how to handle his ship, heat management, and his ship's subsystems. And he displays almost zero arrogance in his videos. He treats the Vulture pilot in this vid with a huge deal of respect and plays every card in his deck just to get the fight to a stalemate. His videos are always just him doing a particular thing in space, but myself and I believe others here can attest to learning a little something new about how to pilot just watching him. The way he manages heat, subsystem disabling, flight assist, and silent running while strafing around asteroids is like watching a ballet in space. He knows his poo poo. Said before but he's a loving space wizard.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I killed my first player today. A Vulture, he was tailing me for a minute in a HiRES and then shot me a couple times and immediately fled from the belt as the local Anacondas opened fire. I joined in and, because I've converted to fixed weapons, sniped him as he was spooling up the FSD. I felt a little bad and then he came back and said he fired on accident, which I figured but the :unsmigghh: overrode it, and then I felt worse and silently went back to the home station and switched to solo. His e-blood is on my space hands.

e: content: So I have my Federal Assault Ship now. It's pretty sweet. I'll probably be able to afford an Fer-de-Lance soon, though, which is a ship I've had eyes on since starting after seeing one picture of it. I really enjoyed the Federal Dropship with four fixed burst lasers and one gimballed cannon, and the FDL seems like the same approach to combat but better in every way except internal space. However, I read about how people are dissatisfied with it all the time, why is that? I get that the Python is a beast and barely more expensive, but the FDL has speed and maneuverability on it.

Sard fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 30, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPYH8gB2uTc

Here's concrete info on how SR works, with testing.

Small ships:
Target lock not affected at <250m
Target lock lost after 7s if >250m

Large ships:
Target lock not affected <550m
Target lock lost after 7s if >550m

Simple as that, internal heat doesn't matter, what modules you're running doesn't matter, it's either it works or doesn't. I would guess you would not be able to lock a target outside those ranges if it already had Silent Running going too.

So if a Stealth DBS is outside 250m and has silent running on, it is unlockable unless you had locked it prior to it triggering silent running, and even then you lose lock if you don't close within 250m in those 7s.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 30, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPYH8gB2uTc

Here's concrete info on how SR works, with testing.

Small ships:
Target lock not affected at <250m
Target lock lost after 7s if >250m

Large ships:
Target lock not affected <550m
Target lock lost after 7s if >550m

Simple as that, internal heat doesn't matter, what modules you're running doesn't matter, it's either it works or doesn't. I would guess you would not be able to lock a target outside those ranges if it already had Silent Running going too.

So if a Stealth DBS is outside 250m and has silent running on, it is unlockable unless you had locked it prior to it triggering silent running, and even then you lose lock if you don't close within 250m in those 7s.

Dang well I did not know that. It should def be a smuggling tactic.

Look I'm not saying he's a solid dude at FAO

I am FAO probably 50% of the time and still slam my idiot face into dark asteroids sometimes. I'll need to watch more of his poo poo to get better at it. Right now though my loving X55 rolls very slightly and it's just too annoying.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

LCL-Dead posted:

gently caress that. The ability of solo or PG players to have just as much influence as players playing in open, the mode designed to take full advantage of everything the game has to offer, is bullshit.

Being able to gently caress off on your own and flip the bird to anyone who even in the slightest amount may work against you is the carebear dream and needs to die.

I was doing Rare runs solo, i then thought this is not right and switched to open,

Undocked, Flew through the letterbox,
"Critical Eject eject eject" Kaboom.......

"you were killed by Cmdr XXXXX" (I can't remember his name)

WTF!!!! Back to Solo..

(the annoying thing is there was no "you are under attack" or anything like that, he literally one shotted me about 10 seconds after leaving the station. This is why you can never have nice things.. So now out of my hauler and back in a sidewinder as he took a full cargo of rares with him worth about 3 mill

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheresaJayne posted:

I was doing Rare runs solo, i then thought this is not right and switched to open,

"you were killed by Cmdr XXXXX" (I can't remember his name)

WTF!!!! Back to Solo..

(the annoying thing is there was no "you are under attack" or anything like that, he literally one shotted me about 10 seconds after leaving the station. This is why you can never have nice things.. So now out of my hauler and back in a sidewinder as he took a full cargo of rares with him worth about 3 mill

Loot doesn't blow up when you nuke a player?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

TheresaJayne posted:

When you started flying out, did you fly out on the side of the letterbox with the green lights or the red lights?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sard posted:

When you started flying out, did you fly out on the side of the letterbox with the green lights or the red lights?

I am english so I always use the green side.
There were laser beams going past me but I was still in the no fire zone so I assumed that the station would have blown him up before he could kill me,
The station had just destroyed someone inside the station as well so i assumed that the lasers were to do with that. (also it was Lave)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

3 posted:

hmmm

Might i impose upon you to request the satisfaction of knowing your HUD settings, goon sir?

• Locked thread