Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Gridlocked posted:

My friend suggested a White Lion as an extra class but I pointed it out would be the same as Kruber just basically a re-skin; though you could go for the "reach" melee character with only-two handed weapons with Spears and Halberds.

I figure if they added a high elf of any kind it'd be a wizard of some sort, since high magic is pretty much the high elf thing. Speaking of, the current elf is supposed to be a wood elf, isn't she? I'd imagine a high elf would sound less Irish and more posh.

poo poo, I wonder if they'll add a Halfling chef? The hats can be different cookware and he can wield a cleaver or a big gently caress-off sausage, and use a crossbow. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

John Dyne posted:

Speaking of, the current elf is supposed to be a wood elf, isn't she? I'd imagine a high elf would sound less Irish and more posh

She's definitely a wood elf, which partially explains why she's such an rear end in a top hat. Wood elves are generally pricks to outsiders, and while high elves might be arrogant they are rarely just straight up jerks to everybody they meet and have been known to get along with humans fairly well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

John Dyne posted:

I figure if they added a high elf of any kind it'd be a wizard of some sort, since high magic is pretty much the high elf thing. Speaking of, the current elf is supposed to be a wood elf, isn't she? I'd imagine a high elf would sound less Irish and more posh.

poo poo, I wonder if they'll add a Halfling chef? The hats can be different cookware and he can wield a cleaver or a big gently caress-off sausage, and use a crossbow. :v:

High Magic is way way too strong for Vermintide alas. If they're going to add a High Elf smart money is on Sea Guard Captain or somesuch, given their dedication to characters who are adept both in melee and at range. I mean that's why we got a Dwarven Ranger instead of the more iconic Slayer.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Chomp8645 posted:

She's definitely a wood elf, which partially explains why she's such an rear end in a top hat. Wood elves are generally pricks to outsiders, and while high elves might be arrogant they are rarely just straight up jerks to everybody they meet and have been known to get along with humans fairly well.

Yeah, I know all about the wood elves; I remember reading about how they'll gently caress with people and have them wander in their magic forest for years for poo poo and giggles. Then, when they finally let the poor bastard leave, he instantly ages and dies.

Really, Warhammer elves are the best elves in general.

Captain Oblivious posted:

High Magic is way way too strong for Vermintide alas. If they're going to add a High Elf smart money is on Sea Guard Captain or somesuch, given their dedication to characters who are adept both in melee and at range. I mean that's why we got a Dwarven Ranger instead of the more iconic Slayer.

Probably some kind of journeyman or apprentice high elf wizard, then; I know high mages need to master all the winds of magic to actually get to practice Saphery. I just know the high elves have the best magic so it'd make some sense to have some sort of magical elf, or a Swordmaster of Hoeth or something. Though I think since it's a videogame them making the High Mage a bit weaker than normal would make some sense, so long as you got to shoot fuckin' rainbow bolts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Spears/halberds could also be introduced. Make spears the two-hand version of the rapier and I'd be in love, even if it meant playing a Sea Guard. (which is why Kruber should get a halberd that's the same but with better slashing attacks)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I really really want a Bretonnian Knight to help out with quips in a heavy french accent

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

frajaq posted:

I really really want a Bretonnian Knight to help out with quips in a heavy french accent

Only if they go really, really over the top with it. "Sacre bleu, the Elf has been strangled mon amie! Avaunt!"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh, high elves can also be exceedingly assholish, especially to dwarves. Just look at how the war of the beard got started: The high elves, until then steadfast allies with the dwarves, had just fallen into the civil war with the faction that would eventually become the dark elves. Those proto-dark elves send out a few raiders to the mainland to attack some traders and generally start some poo poo. The dwarves then sent out a diplomatic mission the the high elves, basically asking "hey man what the gently caress why are there elves killing our traders?"

So, what does the high elven phoenix king do in response? Instead of just telling them there's a civil war on, or maybe making up a simple lie about rogue raiders who'll be prosecuted, he has the ambassador arrested, shaves his beard, and bans him from elf-island forever. Which is basically one of the most severe insults you can level at a dwarf. Unsurprisingly, this killed dwarf/high-elf relations pretty much forever.

Elves: not even once.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Slayer class would be better, game would be much improved by adding in some dwarf half naked goodness and also mohawks

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ravenfood posted:

Spears/halberds could also be introduced. Make spears the two-hand version of the rapier and I'd be in love, even if it meant playing a Sea Guard. (which is why Kruber should get a halberd that's the same but with better slashing attacks)

Polearm weapons are basically the last frontier of melee weapon types that aren't covered by existing classes, so a seaguard would be a cool addition. I guess dual heavy melee weapons such as dual axes and hammers aren't covered either yet, so that's a pretty natural slayer fit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wood elves are massive dicks.

High elves are snooty and imperious but actually mostly want to help humanity against chaos rather than gently caress with them.

They save all their loving with for the dwarves. I just want a high elf character for the inevitable war of the beard/grudge of drong references.

I agree a seaguard, shadow warrior or reaver knight would work well for the mix of ranged and melee weapons. Spear and Shield, Sword and Shield, double handed spear and single hand sword with bow selections.

I'd be equally happy with Bretonnian Knight, Dark Elf Corsair, Saurus Warrior (or Skink Blowgunner) or Halfling Cook.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Perestroika posted:

Oh, high elves can also be exceedingly assholish, especially to dwarves. Just look at how the war of the beard got started: The high elves, until then steadfast allies with the dwarves, had just fallen into the civil war with the faction that would eventually become the dark elves. Those proto-dark elves send out a few raiders to the mainland to attack some traders and generally start some poo poo. The dwarves then sent out a diplomatic mission the the high elves, basically asking "hey man what the gently caress why are there elves killing our traders?"

So, what does the high elven phoenix king do in response? Instead of just telling them there's a civil war on, or maybe making up a simple lie about rogue raiders who'll be prosecuted, he has the ambassador arrested, shaves his beard, and bans him from elf-island forever. Which is basically one of the most severe insults you can level at a dwarf. Unsurprisingly, this killed dwarf/high-elf relations pretty much forever.

Elves: not even once.

In the book series about the War of the Beard, the Phoenix King decapitates the entire party of envoys, shaves their beards, and sends the heads back to the dwarven king. Since a dwarf's beard is their currency for entering the afterlife, this was considered Very Rude.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, I just saved a near-wipe of a run. Horn of Magnus, group gets to the roofs just before the tower when things go a bit pear shaped. Suddenly I find myself alone against a bunch of rats, just in time for a patrol of 8 Storm Vermin to aggro on me before I can hide. What followed was a flurry of backpedaling while I fire my handgun into the chasing rats. Thanks to the fact my gun has a 90%+ penetration chance, the first shot killed 3 storm vermin. Next shot takes out 2 more. Unfortunately clanrats kept fouling successive shots, and I'm forced to back pedal all the way from that collapsed brick wall room to the room containing the last tome before I finally kill all the patrol and the rest of the clanrats.

The run back to revive one of my team mates in the brick wall room was constant :tinfoil: as I expected a pack-rat to pop out of the air and snatch me at any moment.

RE: War of the beard. The version I remember is that the Dwarves confront the King and ask for compensation/weregild for the Dwarves killed and trade good stolen. The Phoenix King, being one of the worst assholes among Phoenix Kings, tells them to gently caress off, he's busy. The Dwarves then get (rightfully) pissy and demand double the original amount they were asking for. Phoenix King gets even more pissy and proceeds to shave the envoy and send him back to the Mainland (alive). Queue devestating war that reduces both Elves and Dwarves to a shadow of their former power/majesty.

Also, the Book of Grudges is a :krad:, if rather tragic, artifact. Its a book possessed by the Dwarven High-King where they record all major/important wrongs done to the Dwarven Race. Only the High-Kings may write grudges in it, and they use their blood to do so. These grudges will never be forgotten and it is a rare and celebrated event when a grudge is settled and crossed out. As you can imagine, many more grudges are entered into the book than are settled.

Some say the use of the blood of the High Kings has turned the Book of Grudges into a magical artifact that influences the future and prosperity of the Dwarves. The more entries are made in it, the more Dwarven power/influence/fortune weakens in the world. Unless the Dwarves learn to let go of their stubbornness (and the Dwarven language supposedly has no word for "Forgive", but many subtle variations for words like Revenge) they are doomed to be buried by their grudges.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 30, 2015

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In the book series about the War of the Beard, the Phoenix King decapitates the entire party of envoys, shaves their beards, and sends the heads back to the dwarven king. Since a dwarf's beard is their currency for entering the afterlife, this was considered Very Rude.

Basically the Dark Elves impersonate High Elves and attack dwarf caravans.
The Dwarves send ambassadors to go "Oi, wtf mate?"
The High Elves say "gently caress off it wasn't us, but if you beg we'll send reparations anyway"
The Dwarves turn around and say "Well since you were rude you now owe us double"
Then the High Elves go "Fine, we'll show you loving double" and shaved their beards and heads.

The like two overly proud and overly grumpy old men they went the gently caress at it and ended up ruining themselves.

EDIT ^^^ All the fluff of the dwarves from the old world is amazing. Slayers having shamed their families and only being able to redeem themselves by going naked into death battles and the more successful the slayer is the more they are like "WELP BETTER GO FIND SOMETHING HARDER TO KILL SO I CAN DIE IN BATTLE AND RESTORE MY HONOR". Troll Slayer, Giant Slayer, Dragon Slayer, Daemon Slayer...

Now they're mercenaries with fire hair fighting for whoever will pay them the most ur-gold :suicide:

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 30, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Also, what the heck is this weapon supposed to be? A Rat Ogre club? I really don't think its meant to be a human weapon, but I can't imagine anything among the Skaven but a Rat Ogre being able to wield such a thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, what the heck is this weapon supposed to be? A Rat Ogre club? I really don't think its meant to be a human weapon, but I can't imagine anything among the Skaven but a Rat Ogre being able to wield such a thing.

Kerillian: *sharp hiss* *whimper*

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There are subtitles in this game????

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Mechafunkzilla posted:

THat probably got written into a few grudge books.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I managed to get Red Hats for all the five characters. It started duping afterward so I'm assuming they're the only 5 red hats in the game. The dwarf has the best one and the Elf has the most :effort: due to boring recolor.

http://imgur.com/a/try5m

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

hooman posted:

EDIT ^^^ All the fluff of the dwarves from the old world is amazing. Slayers having shamed their families and only being able to redeem themselves by going naked into death battles and the more successful the slayer is the more they are like "WELP BETTER GO FIND SOMETHING HARDER TO KILL SO I CAN DIE IN BATTLE AND RESTORE MY HONOR". Troll Slayer, Giant Slayer, Dragon Slayer, Daemon Slayer...

Daemon Slayer had another one of those great bits from the 2nd edition RPG, There is only one way to end this career :black101:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lunethex posted:

I managed to get Red Hats for all the five characters. It started duping afterward so I'm assuming they're the only 5 red hats in the game. The dwarf has the best one and the Elf has the most :effort: due to boring recolor.

hmmm ok my life won't be complete without getting that soldier hat

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The only "Hat" I really want right now is the Dwarf one where he's hatless with a top knot. Its pretty cool looking, in a weird way.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Rudeasaurs is the name of my Kroxx.

In terms of spell casters in the future: yeah maybe a Dark Elf Sorcerer. Hell considering it's the End Time we could see a Vampire Count rocking up to help the Humans. Vampires were on the side of Order!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Daemon Slayer had another one of those great bits from the 2nd edition RPG, There is only one way to end this career :black101:

Having never player Warhammer Fantasy RPG: Vermintide inspired campaign would be a great starting campaign for a party.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lunethex posted:

Victor's red hat is loving sweet looking.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
The Book of Grudges is not a single large tome, mind you. It is just the general name for a thousand volume collection of thousand page books. The dwarfs do not forget a slight.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Doin' some work!

That took like 20 mins. Including a final stand where I killed half a horde alone, revived the Dwarf then went with him to res the Elf (lol) and Other Human Guy; AND took out 2 Gutter Runners solo in doing so.

It was normal and we only ever had like 3 Stormvermin thank gently caress.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd love to see a slayer in this game, but their options would be pretty limited.
Melee: Great axe, dual axes, single axe(?)
Ranged: Throwing axes (and even that may be stretching it)
Hats/Hair: A series of increasingly tall and ridiculous mohawks (nothing wrong with this)

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

I'd love to see a slayer in this game, but their options would be pretty limited.
Hats/Hair: A series of increasingly tall and ridiculous mohawks (nothing wrong with this)

Well , dogs of war had long drong's slayer pirates with pistols and hooks and swords

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

His hats would be more scars/grizzling of his facial features and of course ever larger mohawks.

EDIT: and more crazy tattoos.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

frajaq posted:

hmmm ok my life won't be complete without getting that soldier hat

poo poo yeah, I want the Lu Bu hat too

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It looks like a really unwieldy poleaxe or something, maybe a ship shot it like a harpoon.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure it's the weapon the Stormvermin use. I don't have the patience to go in-game and try to get a good screenshot and a 15-second Google search didn't bring up any game images, but the figurines have a weapon that looks a lot like it:

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Ayn Randi posted:

Well , dogs of war had long drong's slayer pirates with pistols and hooks and swords

Yup, Long Drong and his gang were legit. Just get a Slayer Pirate with Hunter's pistols and bring on the axes!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Victor's red hat is loving sweet looking.

The Empire is known for their skills in haberdashery. Markus' helm is also pretty drat sweet.

Skill: Consume Alcohol

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Wooo BP exploit is dead!!

Heroes!

A new patch has been deployed, this time aimed primarily at fixing common exploits.

Patch 1.0.1.2
Changelog:
- Fixed a number of exploits
- Fixed several cases of bots getting stuck
- Tweaked enemy spawning on "Black Powder"
- Tweaked barrel spawning on "Black Powder"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

toasterwarrior posted:

Skill: Consume Alcohol

Roll to see how much beer you drink

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

BioTech posted:

I got a Grudgeraker with 80+% penetration and 30% chance for ammo on a kill. Does the penetration work per pellet or as a whole? Because it sounds like I'll never run out of ammo and hit a ton of Skaven per shot, which is cool.

Turned out very disappointing. I figured two shots with extra penetration would go through packs, but it doesn't even kill slaves. A volley does make it possible to wade in with the hammer + shield after and kill them with just one blow, which is pretty great, but not sure if I should give up sniping specials for that.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

BioTech posted:

Turned out very disappointing. I figured two shots with extra penetration would go through packs, but it doesn't even kill slaves. A volley does make it possible to wade in with the hammer + shield after and kill them with just one blow, which is pretty great, but not sure if I should give up sniping specials for that.

Being able to OHKO stormvermin, or any other jerk special is by far and above the better choice over being able to kill clan and slaverats faster.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Raged posted:

Wooo BP exploit is dead!!

But it kept the annoying people away from the fun missions.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

They're going to continue to stick a limited number of fingers into an endless number of leaky holes until they address the root cause of this behavior.

If their playerbase perceives running the quickest missions with the easiest exploits as the 'best' way to be rewarded, they will do so.

And yes, this type of behavior is loving retarded, but it's also unfortunately extremely widespread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

:qq: My e-honor :qq:

:qq: My Loot/hr :qq:

There was another exploit that worked on most of the levels, let me see if it's still working.

e: nope. Nice.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 30, 2015

• Locked thread