Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The show's creator has explicitly stated that there are no "twists", that everything is heavily telegraphed on purpose, and that the entire point is the characters' reactions to the events, not the events themselves. But cool to see you preemptively dropping the show so you can fill your need to feel smarter than the media you consume. You sure showed them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

RandomBlue posted:

Everyone expects twists. EVERY ONE. It's been that way since shortly after The Sixth Sense came out. Try and keep up.

Do I hate BDSM? No. Do I want sex in shows at random that aren't about sex? Not really. Real Sex, no problem. Hacker show obviously cribbing from popular movies, no thanks.

I didn't see the sister twist because a) why spend effort on figuring out twists that could or could not be telegraphed to some degree and b) we're all (except you apparently) used to and tired of the twists.
Oookay, I'll just go ahead and file these under "pointlessly subjective anecdotes."

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

HorseRenoir posted:

The show's creator has explicitly stated that there are no "twists", that everything is heavily telegraphed on purpose, and that the entire point is the characters' reactions to the events, not the events themselves. But cool to see you preemptively dropping the show so you can fill your need to feel smarter than the media you consume. You sure showed them!

Show's creator says his poo poo doesn't stink, news at 11.

BrianWilly posted:

Oookay, I'll just go ahead and file these under "pointlessly subjective anecdotes."

I already pointed out that this was all subjective, several posts ago. Thanks for finally understanding.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"Everyone likes different things" is subjective.

"Everyone is tired of this thing" is also subjective, except it's also clearly wrong because we can easily see that this thread is full of people who are not tired of what this show does. It's like going to a packed Jay-Z concert and claiming that everyone is tired of Jay-Z. I have no idea why you're saying it other than to somehow convince us into thinking that your complaints about a thing you didn't watch has any merit whatsoever.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BrianWilly posted:

"Everyone likes different things" is subjective.

"Everyone is tired of this thing" is also subjective, except it's also clearly wrong because we can easily see that this thread is full of people who are not tired of what this show does. It's like going to a packed Jay-Z concert and claiming that everyone is tired of Jay-Z. I have no idea why you're saying it other than to somehow convince us into thinking that your complaints about a thing you didn't watch has any merit whatsoever.

Yes, obviously "Everyone thinks xyz" is not correct, it was an exaggeration. Apparently someone likes anchovies. Also, Jay-Z sucks and has for a long time. Kanye is way better, though he seems like a dick.

You're right, I didn't watch it. But oh wait, I watched half of it and the half I watched was masturbatory wannabe copying bullshit with almost no original ideas.

Go ahead and love the show, I'm not telling you not to. The heart wants what the heart wants :barf:.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BrianWilly posted:

you didn't even know about the sister twist

HorseRenoir posted:

The show's creator has explicitly stated that there are no "twists"

Coordinate the defense guys.

e: Also, I really like Christian Slater, I wish I still liked this show.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 30, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomBlue posted:

Everyone expects twists. EVERY ONE. It's been that way since shortly after The Sixth Sense came out. Try and keep up.
Do you mean, like, as a concept? Like, things movies have: Scenes, characters, dialogue, twists...

RandomBlue posted:

Coordinate the defense guys.
What do you think is happening here? And in case that comes across wrong, I'm genuinely asking. Do you think that there's a group of people here working together to try to debate you for some reason?

A "twist" is just a plot development that undermines the audience's prior understanding. Believe it or not, they predate The Sixth Sense, and what counts as a twist to one person might not for someone else. Very few people expected Darlene would turn out to be Eliot's sister, but whether you count it as a twist is a matter of opinion. It was unexpected, but it didn't necessarily undermine our understanding of what had been going on thus far. Mr Robot turned out to be Eliot, but for most people that wasn't a twist because it seemed likely that that was where the story was going.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Here's a twist: it turns out later that BrianWilly and RandomBlue are sock puppets of the same person, arguing with himself because he just likes to argue

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Everyone I know who watched season 1 was surprised about ghost dad.

I think most TV watchers are kind of dumb.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm not sure why everyone seems all invested in changing the opinions of a guy who watched not even half the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ehud posted:

I wasn't surprised by Ghost Dad. But "figuring that out" lured me into a false sense of smugness, causing the sister twist to hit me like a ton of bricks.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So Alan Sepinwall posted this on twitter and now I need to find one too:

https://t.co/JPNmmVFcIf

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Darlene being his sister is so rewarding on rewatch, because the first time you relate to Elliot and think she's loco, but the second time she acts exactly how a sister would. it's really well done.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Darlene being his sister is so rewarding on rewatch, because the first time you relate to Elliot and think she's loco, but the second time she acts exactly how a sister would. it's really well done.

Halfway through my second watching and this is exactly right. I've gone from "gently caress this manic pixie dream girl" to thinking of her as being one of the better characters on the show, and all because I know that reveal.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RandomBlue posted:

I didn't really expect any twists, I just watched the show and tried to take in the story. I did spoil the fight club part of the story before even watching it, so that changed how I watched it. Still thought everything up to the finale was great, hope they make more of the show.

If you notice near the ending of the last episodes they played a piano version of "Where is my mind" the ending song of Fight Club.

BrianWilly posted:

"Everyone is tired of this thing" is also subjective

Hasty generalization, is the word you are looking for.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 30, 2015

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Ehud posted:

I didn't see the ghost dad coming because I find that turning my brain off while watching TV shows is usually a better idea. Also I've never seen Fight Club.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Do you mean, like, as a concept? Like, things movies have: Scenes, characters, dialogue, twists...

What do you think is happening here? And in case that comes across wrong, I'm genuinely asking. Do you think that there's a group of people here working together to try to debate you for some reason?

A "twist" is just a plot development that undermines the audience's prior understanding. Believe it or not, they predate The Sixth Sense, and what counts as a twist to one person might not for someone else. Very few people expected Darlene would turn out to be Eliot's sister, but whether you count it as a twist is a matter of opinion. It was unexpected, but it didn't necessarily undermine our understanding of what had been going on thus far. Mr Robot turned out to be Eliot, but for most people that wasn't a twist because it seemed likely that that was where the story was going.

As far as twists go, look up "Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge". There's a lovely twist in it and it was published in 1890. (Too lazy after work to do more research).

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Just finished watching the first season after a friend recommended it to me. Love it. The cinematography is fantastically confident and bold, and I'm loving the eclectic soundtrack and homages to the show's inspirations - ie. Pulp Fiction, Fight Club, etc.

This might sound weird but my favourite scene + music is probably when Tyrell strangled the wife. Jesus, what a scene. FKA twigs - Two Weeks was an inspired choice, I think. The combination showed really well how and why strangulation (with hands!) can be so often a crime of passion and the passions it is driven by are so close to loving. I mean, sex = killing with passion as the driving force is not new, but the way it was shown in Mr. Robot was just, really well done. And FKA twigs, i don't even know how to describe how great her music is or how well I think that song fits in not just with the murder scene but also within the show itself, like, I'm not a good enough writer for that, but it was... ecstatically filthy, as one reviewer put it.

One little thing that stood out me as I was watching Mr. Robot is how good the blocking or positioning of the characters is during dialogue. It's in line with Elliot's state of mind, his feelings toward other characters, and consistent with where his attention lies.

For example:

Shayla has a short conversation with Vera. Elliot walks up as Vera is driven away.

Shayla's talking to him but he's still focused on Vera. Notice how she slides into frame as her words register with Elliot.

They're very close together here, to the point where Elliot is almost obscured.

Probably because she's important to him.

What's weird in the closeups of Elliot's conversations though, is that he and the other person are usually placed on the same side of the frame. Usually, shows and films I've watched has one character on the left (or on top, bottom, whatever) and the other, the opposite (right, bottom, etc) when they're in dialogue. Because even though they're not in the same "shot", they are talking to each other, and usually people face each other when they do. When this rule is broken, pay attention to the context of the scene because the director is probably trying to tell you something.

Elliot on the right.

Shayla on the left.

This happens all the time with Elliot. His mind is almost continuously thinking about something else - he can't focus on one thing, and so he's just not there when you try to talk to him. Elliot in this conversation just wants his drugs. He might still be thinking of Vera, or of fsociety. He's just always thinking.

He talks past her. In his mind, the conversation is a foregone conclusion - he will get his morphine.

When someone does grab Elliot's attention, the shift in positioning is immediate and obvious.

He's not even looking at Gideon here. Actually most of the characters don't pay attention to Gideon, haha.

But wait.

Wut.

fsociety. Now that's important to Elliot.

edit: My work experience includes a lot with people with disabilities, and it's refreshing to have a show this focused on a guy with mental disabilities and drug problems - not to mention a trans person and at least a couple of people who are gay/bisexual, and to have it not be a big deal.

Skizzzer fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 8, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Skizzzer posted:

some screenshots etc

that's a pretty awesome catch, i'll have to rewatch it with that in mind

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That's great and all guys, but im not sure they'll end season 5 exactly the way I want, so I think I'm out.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm glad you posted about that because I definitely picked up on the framing during conversations. There's one scene in I think the wh1ter0se episode where both sides of a conversation are on the right edge of the screen, and another early on where (I think) Angela and Elliot are talking on the street and they're face to face but the framing shows them facing different directions in wide shots. I think it's meant to be deliberately disorienting. Deliberate axis-breaking is the kind of thing Kubrick was into, so I'm wondering how much hidden meaning is behind all the rest of the shows in this show.

It's funny to see arguments about twists here. The show itself knows that the audience has guessed the twist, and directly comments on it more than once. From what I read, Sam Esmail's take on it is that he wears his influences on his sleeve, and asks "What if the reveal in Fight Club comes in the first act? Then what?" This season is the first act of that story, and the rest of the show is going to answer that question.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Skizzzer posted:

Cool framing stuff

Another really good example of this is the conversation between Tyrell and the CTO after the dinner party. They're in a conference room with the CTO sitting down yet commanding his entire shot while Tyrell is in the distance for his shot, barely in frame. It does a great job of conveying the relative power between the two of them, that the CTO knows what Tyrell is up to, and pretty clearly indicates the beginning of Tyrell's fall. I need to track down some screen shots of this one.

e: vvvvv That's the one! I love how intentional yet subtle these shots are. Everything is shot so well.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 9, 2015

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Is this what you were talking about?

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, I am constantly noticing the amazing camera work on this show. Just check out the Tyrell v Scott scene. Scott's sitting down most of the time while BatemanTyrell tries to talk down to him but the entire time, Scott has a command over the area of the frame.

And although Tyrell starts off with about a quarter of the frame, as soon as Scott admits he knows that Tyrell wanted CTO, Tyrell shrinks to the left of the frame.

Tyrell begins to walk away but Scott pulls out the coup de grāce that he knows about Tyrell sneaking into the bathroom.

He's immediately shrunk down into a tiny, fearful man. His plans failed, he's an embarrassment, and Scott will keep him in the shitter for his stupid stunts. Tyrell's the bad guy of the show yet this frame still makes you feel sorry for him.

Also note the changes in depth of field, I can't get enough of how well done this cinematography is! I look forward to the Every Frame a Painting video that will inevitably go over the first season of this show.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Shoren posted:

Another really good example of this is the conversation between Tyrell and the CTO after the dinner party. They're in a conference room with the CTO sitting down yet commanding his entire shot while Tyrell is in the distance for his shot, barely in frame. It does a great job of conveying the relative power between the two of them, that the CTO knows what Tyrell is up to, and pretty clearly indicates the beginning of Tyrell's fall. I need to track down some screen shots of this one.

e: vvvvv That's the one! I love how intentional yet subtle these shots are. Everything is shot so well.

Yeah! I like how the show hints how the under-estimated people or people we assume to be incompetent got to their positions. Scott and Colby both demonstrate qualities justifying their positions, imo, surprising both us and the characters they're talking to.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm glad you posted about that because I definitely picked up on the framing during conversations. There's one scene in I think the wh1ter0se episode where both sides of a conversation are on the right edge of the screen, and another early on where (I think) Angela and Elliot are talking on the street and they're face to face but the framing shows them facing different directions in wide shots. I think it's meant to be deliberately disorienting. Deliberate axis-breaking is the kind of thing Kubrick was into, so I'm wondering how much hidden meaning is behind all the rest of the shows in this show.

Cool. I haven't a Kubrick film before, besides 2001 a long time ago. It is noticeably disorienting I agree, and something I noticed more and more as I kept watching. Other scenes I had in mind was Tyrell and Scott's power struggle, Angela and Colby in Colby's house, and Elliot and Karen when he finally opens up to her. I'm loving the wide framing of the show just in general - it's a pleasure to watch.

There's also a funny scene I couldn't find involving Elliot and someone else. Camera's on Elliot, he's distracted but trying to pay attention. He's in focus and everything else is blurry, but you can just make out a large woman (possibly man) in a BRIGHT PINK shirt crossing back and forth behind him, mirroring his own attempts to focus despite distraction. Every time the camera cuts to Elliot though there's that bright pink man running around in the background. It's funny, but it's also important. We're supposed to be distracted too.

I'm with you on the twists thing. The show's not about the twists. The show's about Elliot. We could see that something was off about Mr. Robot (and so could Elliot, really) but we were more aware of it because hey, we're not schizophrenic and we're not always high. I think someone said in this thread that the "audience" or us is a character in the show. I agree with that too. Elliot created us, just like how he created Mr. Robot. Why? Because he's lonely.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Skizzzer posted:

I'm with you on the twists thing. The show's not about the twists. The show's about Elliot. We could see that something was off about Mr. Robot (and so could Elliot, really) but we were more aware of it because hey, we're not schizophrenic and we're not always high. I think someone said in this thread that the "audience" or us is a character in the show. I agree with that too. Elliot created us, just like how he created Mr. Robot. Why? Because he's lonely.

That's why I always disagreed with the Dexter comparison. Dexter has an inner monologue. Elliot has an inner dialogue.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

That's why I always disagreed with the Dexter comparison. Dexter has an inner monologue. Elliot has an inner dialogue.

Elliot has an internal lecture series.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I just chain watched the entire series on a 10 hour plane ride (Delta has it on CHC -> HNL) and it was quite wonderful! I think the "Our Democracy Has Been Hacked" tag line coupled with Occupy imagery probably drives a lot of people away since it's pretty tacky and seems juvenile, and the major interesting point in the show is Elliot's mental state, relationships, and the growth in both. I know it gave me pause on whether to watch it.

I liked the recent comments in this thread about the framing as well, I was trying to place why I felt the cinematography really captured the disjointed nature of the narrator, and now I understand!

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

I just finished a re-watch of this with my best friend and she had NO IDEA the Mr. Robot reveal was coming until they were already in the graveyard having the conversation. It was very satisfying watching her freak out at that twist.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

iraqniphobia posted:

I just finished a re-watch of this with my best friend and she had NO IDEA the Mr. Robot reveal was coming until they were already in the graveyard having the conversation. It was very satisfying watching her freak out at that twist.

Your friend is dumb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Your friend is dumb is not an autistic goon who nitpicks and over-analyzes every little detail about an episode moments after watching it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It's cool how you think calling people autistic makes you right.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Benson Cunningham posted:

It's cool how you think calling people autistic makes you right.

It's enraged_camel. His posts are pretty awful. Any non idiot who has seen fight club would have know the mr robot reveal before it happened. Now Elliot being his sister was not so clear.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Geez guys why don't you cut this guys friend who isn't even in the thread some slack. Not knowing Mr. Robot isn't real doesn't make her a dumb idiot. Not everyone watches TV the same way.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

That's pretty rich coming from the guy who completely misunderstood the point of the Elliot=ROBOT twist/reveal and got into multiple arguments with people in this thread over whether that twist was intentionally telegraphed all season long or not. Glad to see you've totally gotten over that and don't still have a chip on your shoulder over it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VDay posted:

That's pretty rich coming from the guy who completely misunderstood the point of the Elliot=ROBOT twist/reveal and got into multiple arguments with people in this thread over whether that twist was intentionally telegraphed all season long or not. Glad to see you've totally gotten over that and don't still have a chip on your shoulder over it.

Chip on my shoulder? Lol dude, I think you greatly overestimate the amount of poo poo I give. I simply argued that the show was much better when it was simply about hacking, spying, espionage and an underground culture trying to overthrow corporations. The twist/reveal was just dumb and boring, and completely derailed what was otherwise a really solid geek-flick. It's OK if you disagree.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That reveal happened at the tail end of the 2nd to last episode, and the hacker/espionage/conspiracy stuff still happened in the finale. That's nowhere near enough time to qualify that "the show was much better" before the reveal.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

enraged_camel posted:

It's OK if you disagree.

Cool, 'cause I do. I don't think that a show primarily about hacking would be very interesting. Stories live and die by their characters, not their plots. The show is much more compelling as a when it is about people thrust into extraordinary situations than the situations themselves. And when you give the people who are the primary focus of the narrative mental illnesses that make the fringes of the narrative itself questionable, you are playing with the format in a novel and compelling way.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Cool, 'cause I do. I don't think that a show primarily about hacking would be very interesting. Stories live and die by their characters, not their plots. The show is much more compelling as a when it is about people thrust into extraordinary situations than the situations themselves. And when you give the people who are the primary focus of the narrative mental illnesses that make the fringes of the narrative itself questionable, you are playing with the format in a novel and compelling way.

Sure, but the characters were already fantastic. It's not like Elliott was uninteresting or one-dimensional before he discovered that he had gone off the deep end. And then of course you had Tyrell and his wife scheming, Elliott's boss completely in over his head trying to save a sinking company, Elliott's sister who was interfacing with the Dark Army, Angela trying to bring down Evil Corp via legal means while the group was trying to sabotage its datacenters... People were already thrust into extraordinary situations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The show has, since episode two*, simply used hacking / exploiting as heavy-set metaphors for the human element of the same, ergo blending social engineering out of the two.
This is like the whole point of the show.

* - episode 1 / the pilot is a little bit fan-servicey for a percieved audience, and it does shift away from endlessly name-dropping things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There are plenty of people who have not actually seen Fight Club, believe it or not. Until very recently, I was one of them. I knew about the twist through pop cultural osmosis, but it's easy for me to believe that someone who doesn't consume a lot of media could be insulated from it.

• Locked thread