Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Onyx Path's fall schedule has 21 more products coming out this year!

Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I bought the God Machine, Stryx and Overly Specific Condition cards.
They were so cheap and I cannot wait to bring a little more physical media to the game.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
*gets down on hands and knees and prays that Paradox Entertainment will rightfully reinstate Brutal Casting, so cruelly taken before its rime*

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mendrian posted:

I still maintain covenants are cooler than clan-bloques ever were in terms of units of conflict and flavor - but then, one could easily funnel covenants into a sourcebook based on a core system and that'd be cool.

In fact I'd go so far as to say covenants are the single most important thing to preserve from Requiem if I was forced to choose.

I'm a huge fan of the Clan/ Covenent/ Sect set up from mashing V:tM and V:tR together. Sects are world wide organizations, the Camarilla, The Sabbat, The Anarachs. Clans are the V:tR five plus things like Lasombra and Tzimisce, less racist Ravanos. Covenants are the V:tR five plus the Setites, Giovanni, and Tremere (although the Ordo pretty much makes the tremere irrelevant)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Tremere would work well as an obscure Ordo Dracul blodline, saved from destruction by a dread deal with the Son of the Dragon.

Althoguh we already have the Architects of the Monolith for weird magical freemason bloodline.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Tremere should not exist in anything resembling their oWoD form for any reason.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Clan/ Covenent/ Sect set up from mashing V:tM and V:tR together. Sects are world wide organizations, the Camarilla, The Sabbat, The Anarachs. Clans are the V:tR five plus things like Lasombra and Tzimisce, less racist Ravanos. Covenants are the V:tR five plus the Setites, Giovanni, and Tremere (although the Ordo pretty much makes the tremere irrelevant)

Why are you a fan of this? How do the Sanctified mix with the Antediluvians, etc.? Why is blood flowing from my eyes instead of tears?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

The Tremere should not exist in anything resembling their oWoD form for any reason.

Well, if we change the settings, obviously stuff would change. The Tremere would pretty much have to be a much smaller Bloodline, probably of Mekhet ancestry. And a lot of their backstory would be scrubbed/modified to be less... over-the-top.

Effectronica posted:

Why are you a fan of this? How do the Sanctified mix with the Antediluvians, etc.? Why is blood flowing from my eyes instead of tears?

That's easy: Longinus brought the message of how vampires can redeem themselves from Cain's crimes. Or something like that. Most vampires don't actually believe Longinus was the first vampire, because the Camarilla already existed.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, if we change the settings, obviously stuff would change. The Tremere would pretty much have to be a much smaller Bloodline, probably of Mekhet ancestry. And a lot of their backstory would be scrubbed/modified to be less... over-the-top.

That's easy: Longinus brought the message of how vampires can redeem themselves from Cain's crimes. Or something like that. Most vampires don't actually believe Longinus was the first vampire, because the Camarilla already existed.

Both of those ideas are dumb and worsen both groups involved.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Both of those ideas are dumb and worsen both groups involved.

Well yeah. I'm not actually pro-merging of the two Worlds, I'm just thinking out loud about what if it did happen. My own choice would be to keep both Worlds separate (and slowly slow down on the oWoD until it stops).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly I'm 100% fine with their backstory, organization, and even aesthetic, but I hate hate hate Thaumaturgy. It's just "All of magic, but you pay for it with red mana instead of blue mana". Fracturing blood magic into a bunch of tightly-themed disciplines is one of the things Requiem got really right.

So like, I'd be fine with the Tremere as a gnostic cult who think the power of Yahweh is trapped in vampire blood and use kabbalistic rituals to draw that power out and inflict biblical curses or something.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
To whoever said that the keui-jin are the worst part of bloodlines, you sir are objectively wrong. The sewer level is by far the worst bit and that had nothing to do with them and everything to do with the Sabbat and the Nosferatu, who are both pretty great. As for the metaplot, the Gehenna part of it was pretty vital to the atmosphere of the game and the whole thing with the sarcophagus that built up to the ending, as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

NewMars posted:

To whoever said that the keui-jin are the worst part of bloodlines, you sir are objectively wrong. The sewer level is by far the worst bit and that had nothing to do with them and everything to do with the Sabbat and the Nosferatu, who are both pretty great. As for the metaplot, the Gehenna part of it was pretty vital to the atmosphere of the game and the whole thing with the sarcophagus that built up to the ending, as well.

Gary was great though: too bad you had to go through the loving sewers to get to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfT7Bj0Zk7w

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

NewMars posted:

Chinatown is the worst hub, Ming Xiao is the worst bossfight.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Effectronica posted:

Chinatown is the worst hub, Ming Xiao is the worst bossfight.

Ming Xiao was the worst of the bosses despite some fierce competition in the realm of garbage boss fights.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wanna play a game of Hunter as Fat Larry.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

I wanna play a game of Hunter as Fat Larry.

Which is funnier though, oWoD Hunter Larry, or nWoD Hunter Larry?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

NewMars posted:

Gehenna isn't really metaplot. People will cite as being so, but it's a setting conceit. Is the Ordo Dracul's quest to emulate Dracula metaplot? No, it's just setting material. Nor is a story appearing in a single book metaplot or Bloodlines story, which is very self-contained.

The metaplot is where everything intersects and often changes setting material from books you already own to advance a broader storyline for the setting. E.g., the material dealing with the Kuei-jin invasion of America, or the great Sabbat crusade on the East Coast in 2000 or even the stuff with King Albrecht. 'Gehenna is coming' =/= metaplot. 'Gehenna is coming, and by the way, an NPC killed Baba Yaga and that's now the new canon going forward' = metaplot.

Incidentally, this is one area where Demon breaks off entirely from the rest of the oWoD: the huge earthquake in LA doesn't get much mention in the rest of the gamelines. I can't recall any at the moment, but I also haven't gotten out of 2002 in the reading so I'm sure I'll find the handful of exceptions in the next year. As DN is a major component of Demon, and everything that takes place in LA or the surrounds in the later books makes little to no mention of it, that's that. I mentioned earlier about Demon and Orpheus being the strongest independent oWoD games because they look at their own poo poo first, foremost, and pretty much only and go 'gently caress ya' to the other lines, and the quake is a great example: it works great for Demon, it's solid material, and it would completely gently caress a couple of other metaplot segments. Earlier, and with other games, that would have prevented it being done or lead to a big hubbub about its impact on the camarilla-anarch-kuei-jin standoff say. With Demon, they just went ahead and did it anyway without giving a gently caress.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Loomer posted:

Gehenna isn't really metaplot. People will cite as being so, but it's a setting conceit. Is the Ordo Dracul's quest to emulate Dracula metaplot? No, it's just setting material. Nor is a story appearing in a single book metaplot or Bloodlines story, which is very self-contained.

The metaplot is where everything intersects and often changes setting material from books you already own to advance a broader storyline for the setting. E.g., the material dealing with the Kuei-jin invasion of America, or the great Sabbat crusade on the East Coast in 2000 or even the stuff with King Albrecht. 'Gehenna is coming' =/= metaplot. 'Gehenna is coming, and by the way, an NPC killed Baba Yaga and that's now the new canon going forward' = metaplot.

Incidentally, this is one area where Demon breaks off entirely from the rest of the oWoD: the huge earthquake in LA doesn't get much mention in the rest of the gamelines. I can't recall any at the moment, but I also haven't gotten out of 2002 in the reading so I'm sure I'll find the handful of exceptions in the next year. As DN is a major component of Demon, and everything that takes place in LA or the surrounds in the later books makes little to no mention of it, that's that. I mentioned earlier about Demon and Orpheus being the strongest independent oWoD games because they look at their own poo poo first, foremost, and pretty much only and go 'gently caress ya' to the other lines, and the quake is a great example: it works great for Demon, it's solid material, and it would completely gently caress a couple of other metaplot segments. Earlier, and with other games, that would have prevented it being done or lead to a big hubbub about its impact on the camarilla-anarch-kuei-jin standoff say. With Demon, they just went ahead and did it anyway without giving a gently caress.

I admit I feel like Gehenna can be a bit of grey area when it comes to metaplot stuff versus a central conceit of the setting. I mean, it's something that pretty much inevitably has to be dealt with with anything that goes on vampire-wise, after all and it's difficult to do so without advancing it, holding it off, or denying it's existence.

That aside, while Orpheus is independent from pretty much everything else WoD-wise at the time, it is still built on the literal ruins of Wraith, which is really very fitting, all things considered. I do think it still works well even if you're not aware of Wraith though, which is your point.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ferrinus posted:

Honestly I'm 100% fine with their backstory, organization, and even aesthetic, but I hate hate hate Thaumaturgy. It's just "All of magic, but you pay for it with red mana instead of blue mana". Fracturing blood magic into a bunch of tightly-themed disciplines is one of the things Requiem got really right.
Then you must loving loathe the whole Blood Sorcery book because it literally makes Cruac & Theban Sorcery into not-arcana that grants you not-rotes but you can also improvise into literally any magic.

Honestly I would prefer the Tremere as a bloodline that loses most/all of their clan's disciplines in favor of Thaumaturgy paths. It would really serve to play up their obsession with magic and regaining what was lost (or "lost") so long ago.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Tremere uber alles. Camarilla victor.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yawgmoth posted:

Then you must loving loathe the whole Blood Sorcery book because it literally makes Cruac & Theban Sorcery into not-arcana that grants you not-rotes but you can also improvise into literally any magic.

Honestly I would prefer the Tremere as a bloodline that loses most/all of their clan's disciplines in favor of Thaumaturgy paths. It would really serve to play up their obsession with magic and regaining what was lost (or "lost") so long ago.

I've cooled off on Blood Sorcery over time (I think the biggest disappointment there is the almost total equivalence created between Cruac and Theban Sorcery) but I fundamentally appreciate its pinning down vampire magic ad being all about externalizing the curse. You can transform things... because vampires can transform. You can animate inanimate things... because vampires are animate even though they shouldn't be. And so on. It could've stood to be tighter in lots of ways, and I think five themes was far too many, and making millions of extended rolls until every factor attached to your spell is in the twenties is horrible, but the philosophy was there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Most of my issue with Thaum is the rituals. Some of them make it a serious pain to have hidden or secret things, and when I'm running a game I kind of hate having to structure things around "Oh BTW the Tremere can unerringly track any dude who doesn't know to get on a plane or cross a river" and "I saw a dude once, so I cast a ritual and see where he is".

At least with the latter it's fun to remind people that Scry isn't a GPS. "I cast Scry. Where's the target?" "Unless you can tell one generic copse of trees from another, you can probably narrow it down to the parts of the world that have deciduous forests." Although a Technomancer Tremere with a copy of Google Earth can probably do something impressive with that. You'd have to constantly remodel your domain to keep ahead of the satellite photography and Street View cars.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The new White Wolf "Lead Storyteller" supposedly wrote this on facebook:

quote:

Hia! I favour using the term Lead Storyteller instead of the more corporate / impersonal Creative Director or whatever. I'll be stewarding the WoD storyline across all media formats and guard it's themes and moods across multiple game lines working with multiple teams and products. My personal WoD collection includes a HUGE amount of NWoD material next to my beloved OWoD and Promethean is one of my all time favourite games. That being said, it's too early for me to even hint at our plans. The deal got done a few days ago, so thank you for your patience. The dark has a purpose.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I was seriously disappointed with the Sorcery suppliment. The whole thing was too cursory. Somehow in trying to make blood magic more thematic they made it incredibly bland. I think they could have just described Theban/Cruac as very specific influences and filled the rest of the space with rotes.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Paradox has some talented folks and several relationships with other talented folks.

Looking forward to Bloodlines 2 as developed by Obsidian. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

fspades posted:

The new White Wolf "Lead Storyteller" supposedly wrote this on facebook:

Well, he likes Promethean. That proves, if nothing else, he has a heartbeat and two working eyes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hipster Occultist posted:

Paradox has some talented folks and several relationships with other talented folks.

Looking forward to Bloodlines 2 as developed by Obsidian. :v:

Be still my heart.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Promethean would make a killer CRPG.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Peztopiary posted:

Promethean would make a killer CRPG.

I believe it was called planescape torment.

I mean, if nothing else the Nameless One certainly looks like a promethean.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Crion posted:

100% of their current existing customer base is a dying cottage industry. As their announcements so far have shown, they're thinking about the White Wolf IP for a much larger, more lucrative audience -- videogame players. The best possible outcome is that they see what OPP is doing as so inconsequential to the brand that they continue to ignore it.

My brother speedruns Vampire: Bloodlines for fairly large audience online. The game is 11 years old, and requires a fair amount of modification to get it to run on a modern machine and yet stay within the exacting parameters that speedrunning people demand for their trials.

My brother had never taken an interest in the tabletop rpg aside from offhandedly flipping through my old copies of The Book of Nod and The Erciyes Fragments.

The money they would make from selling video games to him, his audience, and people like them is far, far more than they would ever get from selling RPG books to folks like us.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
And then they can use that money to make more RPG books!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hey, GimpInBlack, did you ever post the rules for your homebrew Filthy Rich merit?

E: Never mind, found it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How do you guys handle lying NPCs? It seems to me that a simple roll will lead to incredibly dumb suspension of disbelief, and blindly trusting everything an NPC put forward.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

DJ Dizzy posted:

How do you guys handle lying NPCs? It seems to me that a simple roll will lead to incredibly dumb suspension of disbelief, and blindly trusting everything an NPC put forward.

You should probably be giving people a bonus or penalty depending on how believable/obviously bullshit a given lie is, to start.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It is equally bullshit for a pc to make a roll and magically know a statement is false. The bonus or penalty thing is a good idea. On a basic success I usually give my players a hint about why the character is saying what they're saying. "They're hiding something" as opposed to "THIS STATEMENT IS FALSE."

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The problem is also that asking the players to roll will tip them off.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

And having them roll every time someone makes a statement would get tedious.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Promethean 2E posted an update about Athanors yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Man, the amount of negativity floating around about Paradox buying WW is absurd. As we all know, Paradox aren't one of those companies that know anything about managing obscure nerd properties with insane, devoted fanbases full of toxic factionalism and downright absurd beliefs about history and their product... oh, wait a minute. That poo poo is their bread and butter. You couldn't ask for a better owning company when it comes to that poo poo.

But, instead, we get poo poo like this.

quote:

Given Crusader Kings friendliness with the modding community, I'd suggest "purity" of IP is not one of Paradox's greatest concerns.
Because as we all know, giving people the ability to mod your games = I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY IP AT ALL. Now, nevermind that a highly moddable RPG set in the WoDs would be incredible in terms of letting us tell our own stories, change it to 'fix' clan balance, make a hardcore grognard mode, etc - mods are baaad, mkay?