Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
A howl of agony beyond anything I've heard in my life as the head chef realizes whoever did the sweeping last night knocked out the plug to the fridge and did not notice, followed by my overwhelming relief that I was off last night, followed by the dread of whatever else the day has left to reveal. a three act play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Whee, food manager certification classes! What a motley crew is here assembled.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Did a tasting for next year's menu rewrite. Feels good.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

Like, can't you steal that poo poo from your own dining halls?

Speaking as someone who works in a dining hall, those little shits do. Badly enough that twice a year we put up flyers for a "no questions asked" dish return day.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, right, I know they do. Which is why I'm perplexed that they had to steal ours *too*. You'd think college students at someplace that expensive wouldn't need to steal poo poo like silverware.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh, right, I know they do. Which is why I'm perplexed that they had to steal ours *too*. You'd think college students at someplace that expensive wouldn't need to steal poo poo like silverware.

College students are assholes. It's the best explanation I have!

Which reminds me, I keep forgetting to tell my Grossest Yet Customer Interaction story for the thread.

I run the expo/international station at our dining hall. As such, I run the only station with individual platings (rather than buffet-style). I usually finish a batch of 4-6 portions of my dish, plate them all, garnish, then start piling them up for the students to grab. The area where they wait, and where the plates go (I call it the window, but it's a sneeze guard) is directly above an open cubby where my rice warmer goes. So, one day, the rush arrives as usual at 12:10 and I've got a line running all the way the salad bar; about 15 deep. The student at the front of the line is fiddling with something in her mouth, with her mouth open, and as I am reaching into my rice warmer, that something comes tumbling out and misses the open warmer by a fraction of an inch. She was embarassed enough though to leave immediately without even grabbing a plate.

Turned out it was a piece of candy. So, so gross.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's not the topping that are expensive, it's the caddy itself. If you're buying halfway decent stuff like American Metalcraft, which you should be, a single stainless steel condiment caddy is any where from $8 for a cheap looking thing, to $60 for a hammered metal look.

I bought 2 dozen 11in serving bowls for large banquet functions, a hammered stainless steel bow is 40 drat dollars, that was half of the CGS budget for the month!

e: and you'd be surprised how many people steal poo poo like that, even in a high end place. People constantly try to take home our small and medium Boos Blocks.

Jesus loving christ how do you even steal a big wood thing?

Or a fry basket

Feeling really naive here :( people are horrible

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My tiny metal fry baskets I served wings in got stolen as did the metal cone holders I served fries in. Never could figure out what the fucke people are going to do with a tiny fry basket, but whatever. lovely part is they were 12 bucks each. American metalcraft.

I don't understand how people wouldn't conceive of shoplifting from a department store, but have no issue trying to steal from a restaurant because they don't consider it stealing some how. Boggles the mind.

Just add it onto the bill, see how long it takes the fry basket to magically rise out of their backpack.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

All the fancy Sazerac bourbons went out today (Buffalo Trace antique, pappy van winkle etc) -- only like 25 restaurants in Manhattan got the coveted 23yr -- 1 bottle each. Ugh.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Is the coveted Pappy the same stuff that used to be sold everywhere, or like a more fancy version?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

There's a lot of different ages-- 10, 12, 13 (rye), 15, 20, and 23. Twenty-three is the one that there is the least of, and therefore the most hyped? Actually there are others in their collection that are more hard to find, but Pappy's got the name as well.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Come to Austin and bring a bottle. You can crash at my place, and much bourbon will be drank.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

All the fancy Sazerac bourbons went out today (Buffalo Trace antique, pappy van winkle etc) -- only like 25 restaurants in Manhattan got the coveted 23yr -- 1 bottle each. Ugh.

I woke up at 945 and when I called the Order Board everything I wanted was sold out.

Thanks, closing last night, but at least I don't have to hold an extra grand of liquor on my P/L for the next 6mo as we hand sell George T Stagg (rip Staggeracs)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Have photos of my 4 dishes

http://imgur.com/a/9jzz5

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Oh my god I want that octopus and Vhino Verde. Or the Lamb and a Patagonia Pinot.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

:pray:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

These look great, but don't you think they'd look even greater if you tightened them up? Maybe that's just my style.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
How much more tight do you want them, its already stuff stacked on stuff

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Ok, maybe if the sauces weren't jizzed about I guess if I had to be specific. I know that's a style but not necessarily my preference (just my opinion obvi).

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

That Reuben looks great, also I spy Costco carrots + mini potatoes

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I want to eat all that poo poo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I want to eat all that poo poo.

It's only an hour away!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

It's only an hour away!

When does it go live? The wife and I may come up and visit.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

When does it go live? The wife and I may come up and visit.

Probably be Dec or Jan, gotta wait for corporate to approve it, and menus to be printed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Turkeybone posted:

There's a lot of different ages-- 10, 12, 13 (rye), 15, 20, and 23. Twenty-three is the one that there is the least of, and therefore the most hyped? Actually there are others in their collection that are more hard to find, but Pappy's got the name as well.

Ah, ok. I remember buying a few bottles of Pappy back in the day and was kinda shocked the first time I saw a joint ask $50 for a glass of the stuff. I have stopped keeping up with spirit news and wasn't sure what the deal was.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

A good article on cook's exploited pay hit a Toronto's mainstream paper Tuesday (along with day rates published, etc):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...rticle26999168/

With a followup article yesterday:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/the-pay-crisis-in-canadas-kitchens-a-revamped-tipping-model-is-in-order/article27021924/

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Honestly those look a lot better than other plates I've seen from you the only thing I super hate is the swoosh of French's mustard w the octo

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It's a saffrom aioli tho. Tastes loving great with the marble taters, which are SV'd in butter and thyme.

I'm also literally in love with the plates it and the lamb are on, and while we did the tasting servers cried about how big they were. But they're not steelite, so they're dirt cheap, and I can justify paying $8/ea when steelite are $20+

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Probably be Dec or Jan, gotta wait for corporate to approve it, and menus to be printed.

I did a tasting of my new menu on tuesday.

And launched wednesday. Sometimes I love my little place.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
We hired a smiling abuelita about as wide as she is tall for line pantry, and seeing the look of emerging horror on her face as I showed her how to make caesar dressing was one of the better laughs I've wrung out of this week.

Yeah, dump the anchovies on in there, now cover 'em in mustard. No, I'm not kidding, pour it on. Alright now add your egg yolk. No, we are not going to cook this, its just to help the emulsion hold. Now hand me the salsa inglesa, porfa

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Naelyan posted:

I did a tasting of my new menu on tuesday.

And launched wednesday. Sometimes I love my little place.

Same. We must be in sync somehow!

Also, thiefchat: once someone stole a whole wall sconce from a restaurant where I worked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
We have a breakfast burrito, hashbrowns, eggs, cheese, peppers in a flour tortilla, with black beans, pico and sour cream on the side; and an a la carte breakfast burrito which is you now, the burrito without all the stuff on the side. I had two tables that thought "a la carte" meant "without the tortilla." Neither of them asked any questions, they just ordered the a la carte burrito then got pissed off when they got a burrito.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Hey guys Anova has a code for their immersion circulator for 40 bucks off for their site. The code is FALL40 if anyone feels like grabbing one.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Manager meeting today:
Owner: "mezzanon, how come you promo and discount so many meals?"
Me: "Every time the kitchen fucks up a meal I comp it for the guest. If I gently caress it up I'll pay for it out of pocket"
Owner: "I guess that's fair."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So are you just a server who can do your own comps? That sounds like terrible policy. Also, I really don't like the idea of servers paying for their mistakes. If you want to run a clean house the house should pay for errors, but the server should be retrained/disciplined as necessary to avoid them. Letting people pay for their errors allows things to get way too loose and problems can get out of control that way.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

So are you just a server who can do your own comps? That sounds like terrible policy. Also, I really don't like the idea of servers paying for their mistakes. If you want to run a clean house the house should pay for errors, but the server should be retrained/disciplined as necessary to avoid them. Letting people pay for their errors allows things to get way too loose and problems can get out of control that way.

I'm a manager who serves. And I haven't had to pay for anything yet.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Why wouldn't you fix it rather than earn no money for the restaurant?
Is it because your tip will be higher if you comp them food?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If the customer wants I'll have the kitchen remake poo poo, but often they'll just not want anything else. Like the time my kitchen put mayo on a vegan sandwich and my vegan customer didn't realize until they were about half done.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Why wouldn't you fix it rather than earn no money for the restaurant?
Is it because your tip will be higher if you comp them food?

What do you mean by fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Are they eating food with something on there they didn't like/want/are allergic to? Or is it over or under cooked meat? Are they complaining to you after they have barely touched it?
Or are they just complaining when the bill comes after eating most of it?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 30, 2015

• Locked thread