Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MisterBibs posted:

Exactly; I'm speaking more towards the shrunken element thing I'm looking for. There are a bunch of times where a post has a bunch of larger images timg'd, and on the forum proper they are rightfully shrunk down to a thumbnail. In Awful, they appear full size.

This is also part of the issue. As the images load from whatever placeholder Awful uses to their full size, the OP expands and the post that I was reading is now two posts lower. Scroll down to get to the post, another image loads/expands, repeat.

Do you have disable TIMG turned on in the settings? And are you using a custom theme?

From what I can see timg size is set in the theme css (20% of page width in all the ones I've looked at), and that's only stripped if the disable setting is turned on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

When will the new thread tags show up in the app?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Which ones? Does Awful.app have them because we steal theirs :frogbon:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

baka kaba posted:

Which ones? Does Awful.app have them because we steal theirs :frogbon:

The new pet island and adtrw ones

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Huh, turns out that the app on my tablet has "disable tmig" on by default. Never noticed it.

In other news, I seem to have the shittiest luck with the app recently :smith: All day I've had intermittent "Error - Not Logged In" errors pop up that aren't fixed with a reload. Manually closing the app and reloading it has a 50% fix rate; the other half of the time I have to resubmit my login.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lately, in the last week or so, I have not had that happen at all to my recollection, and it was happening pretty frequently up until then. I didn't uninstall the app or do anything I can think of that would've made the difference.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well personally I've been running with embedded gifv/webm turned off since I found that issue, and I haven't run into the problem once, so that's definitely a trigger for it at least.

They only cause a problem if you actually load a page with a video to embed, so if you don't run across any you won't get the error (well not this one). And it also means that if you have embeds on, and you hit a video and get the issue, if you close the app and go right back to a thread with videos (say, the thread you were trying to look at when it broke) you'll get it again straight away

Fluo
May 25, 2007

For some reason I cant view any threads on my phone this morning apart from ones i had bookmarked. I haven't changed anything etc and its been fine for many months :s

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Fluo posted:

For some reason I cant view any threads on my phone this morning apart from ones i had bookmarked. I haven't changed anything etc and its been fine for many months :s

This has just happened to me too. I tried clearing the cache and reinstalling but that didn't help

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's working for me, but it looks like there's an update to the Android System WebView waiting for me in the Play Store from 10/27, and I'm on 45.0.2454.95. Did you guys update to 46.0.2490.76? You can check via System -> Apps -> Downloaded -> Android System WebView, the version number should be at the top.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got the webview update and I can read non-bookmarked threads just fine.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Yep, it's working. Somehow it had even started working before the update this morning

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

edit: nvm, I'm an idiot.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 29, 2015

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

As of this morning, Awful keeps kicking me out and asking for my login credentials again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just had my client bomb courtesy of a GIF posted by lsp in the Marvel Heroes 2015 thread over in Games. Could someone else using Awful take a second to look and see if it's just me?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Works for me (on a Nexus 5) but it's an 89MB gif and it looks like fuckery to me

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Hi this might sound stupid but I just updated the app because I thought it wasn't working and it changed the whole look of it. I'm having real trouble reading it now and it's really stressing me out.

If anyone can help me get an old version or find a way to undo the update that would really help.
If it helps I think the version I had was from start of 2014. Or maybe mid 2013.

Laverna fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 1, 2015

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Laverna posted:

Hi this might sound stupid but I just updated the app because I thought it wasn't working and it changed the whole look of it. I'm having real trouble reading it now and it's really stressing me out.

Is there anywhere I can get a copy of the old version of the app again? I looked up how to undo an update and apparently its impossible so I'm really kicking myself over this because there really was no need to update it at all.

If anyone can help me get an old version or find a way to undo the update that would really help. I feel like such an idiot. It's 2am, I should be sleeping but instead I'm having a panic attack over such a silly thing.
If it helps I think the version I had was from start of 2014. Or maybe mid 2013.

Have you looked at adjusting the font/theme settings via the settings button in the navigation drawer?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Post a screenshot if you're still having trouble, if you can - it shouldn't look any less readable, but the default font size might have changed. Have a look under Settings (swipe from the left side of the screen) and try upping the font size in Posts. You might need to tweak Highlighting in the same menu (it colours some posts) and maybe change your theme in the main settings page

I think there's an old version so don't worry about that, but you're better off on the new one if possible. Also if there are any readability issues, let us know! It's an important part of the app (since it's basically reading stuff) but it might get overlooked, so definitely point anything like that out

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Post a screenshot if you're still having trouble, if you can - it shouldn't look any less readable, but the default font size might have changed. Have a look under Settings (swipe from the left side of the screen) and try upping the font size in Posts. You might need to tweak Highlighting in the same menu (it colours some posts) and maybe change your theme in the main settings page

I think there's an old version so don't worry about that, but you're better off on the new one if possible. Also if there are any readability issues, let us know! It's an important part of the app (since it's basically reading stuff) but it might get overlooked, so definitely point anything like that out

Ah, don't worry it's not actual readability issues, just preference issues. I'm finding the font and icons large and distracting, but I found a way to turn some of the things off, at least.
Once I'm actually in a thread the interface is a bit better, but the bar at the top isn't even like the one in the OP example. It's bright blue instead of the frog, and none of the themes seem to change it back?
Also the swipe to go back to a thread I was reading doesn't seem to work, it just takes me to bookmarks. Is there a way to turn that back on?

It would be nice to have both the icons and the titles, but having it without them is okay for now.
Sorry if I seem a bit stupid with all this, hopefully I can get it back to the way I find comfortable just by fiddling with settings.

The only kind of actual problem I can find (that isn't cosmetic or convenience, sorry about that) is that it seems to be going a lot slower scrolling through threads. It could just be another interface option that I haven't found yet though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The screens go [Main Forum List] > [Thread List / Bookmarks] > [Thread], and you should always be able to get to the thread you were reading if you swipe all the way over, unless this is a landscape split view thing?

Yeah the OP pic is outdated, the app updated a while back to match the Lollipop Material Design look. The dark theme sets the toolbar to black, but yeah there's a few changes that people were pretty mad about! I'd say try and stick with it though, it feels cleaner and more consistent (I miss the frog though). Also the font size in the thread lists is dependent on your device's display settings, not sure if it was before, but if the text in the thread list view is bigger than in the OP, your system text size might be cranked up. I have mine on the smallest setting and it fits way more of the title in, for what it's worth

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's probably good for you to learn to deal with the new version because honestly if you get panic attacks over something so minor as an app update you've got problems

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

I miss the frog though

Same.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

spankmeister posted:

It's probably good for you to learn to deal with the new version because honestly if you get panic attacks over something so minor as an app update you've got problems

Dude, I have other poo poo going on and this was just the cherry on top rather than an actual problem. Have you never had a family member die and not reacted, but then burst into tears when you accidentally drop a glass?
Maybe it only happens to people with problems but it's definitely a thing that happens.

baka kaba posted:

The screens go [Main Forum List] > [Thread List / Bookmarks] > [Thread], and you should always be able to get to the thread you were reading if you swipe all the way over, unless this is a landscape split view thing?

Yeah the OP pic is outdated, the app updated a while back to match the Lollipop Material Design look. The dark theme sets the toolbar to black, but yeah there's a few changes that people were pretty mad about! I'd say try and stick with it though, it feels cleaner and more consistent (I miss the frog though). Also the font size in the thread lists is dependent on your device's display settings, not sure if it was before, but if the text in the thread list view is bigger than in the OP, your system text size might be cranked up. I have mine on the smallest setting and it fits way more of the title in, for what it's worth

Thanks, I don't have lollipop so it doesn't really make much sense for me, and the new actions aren't quite as intuitive. Probably also because of the lollipop thing. I don't really intend to update it either since the only thing I really used that phone for these days was to read the forums.
You mentioned that there was a way to get the old version again, how can I do that? I'd rather stick with that until I get a new phone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And if that was the case your comment about the changes in the app giving you a panic attack are completely unnecessary. But couple that with the fact that you never update the app and it's so bad you're asking for an old version... Take your meds? Or get better meds? It's a crazy world out there and the Awful app UI should be the least of your concerns.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Wait what

I still have getoutfrog as my app icon?

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

And if that was the case your comment about the changes in the app giving you a panic attack are completely unnecessary. But couple that with the fact that you never update the app and it's so bad you're asking for an old version... Take your meds? Or get better meds? It's a crazy world out there and the Awful app UI should be the least of your concerns.

I edited it out, is that better? Sorry to bring it up in the first place, it had nothing to do with what I was asking.
Even at the time I knew it was a silly thing to get upset over, but I still wanted to fix it if I could.

Now I'm going to stop responding to these kind of comments, okay? I don't want to clog up this poor thread with this, thanks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Laverna posted:

You mentioned that there was a way to get the old version again, how can I do that? I'd rather stick with that until I get a new phone.

I don't know what version you were on, this is the one before the Material Design update though

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jrl46bahhdleu2/Awful.apk-release.apk?dl=0

I think that'll work??

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

baka kaba posted:

I don't know what version you were on, this is the one before the Material Design update though

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jrl46bahhdleu2/Awful.apk-release.apk?dl=0

I think that'll work??

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Wait what

I still have getoutfrog as my app icon?

The refresh icon animation used to be a spinning frog. I miss those days too.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Huh, turns out that the app on my tablet has "disable tmig" on by default. Never noticed it.

In other news, I seem to have the shittiest luck with the app recently :smith: All day I've had intermittent "Error - Not Logged In" errors pop up that aren't fixed with a reload. Manually closing the app and reloading it has a 50% fix rate; the other half of the time I have to resubmit my login.

This has been happening to me for the past week or so- browsing as normal, go to the next page of a thread or something and it's "error-not logged in". I go to the menu and my username still shows and all, just won't show any posts.

I've been hitting "all your dreams" and then logging back in, sometimes I'm good to go for the next few days, sometimes I get the error message again in 15 minutes and repeat the log out/log in thing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The forums have been having database problems, it has nothing to do with the app.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whatever it is you're doing to "fix" it is purely coincidental.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

om nom nom posted:

This has been happening to me for the past week or so- browsing as normal, go to the next page of a thread or something and it's "error-not logged in". I go to the menu and my username still shows and all, just won't show any posts.

I've been hitting "all your dreams" and then logging back in, sometimes I'm good to go for the next few days, sometimes I get the error message again in 15 minutes and repeat the log out/log in thing.

Try disabling embedded webm/gifv

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I hear that if you spin around in a circle clucking like a chicken (clockwise only) it'll work.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Mine was more of a turkey gobble but it's been stable since. Any goons able to experiment with other poultry noises?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think it's more like a "Fweeeeeeeeeeeee...." noise that trails off into the darkness. Kind of like that random tinnitus you get sometimes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Try disabling embedded webm/gifv

If that's the fix, why not take it out and put out a beta version to see if it resolves things?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Every time I see the Awful Frog icon on my phone I remember how much of a disappointment I am. Thank! 5/5