Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A good few years back I actually asked for Pathologic for Christmas. I can't recall which year this was but there were a ton of other great games I got alongside it, but I wound up playing Pathologic for hours and hours in a darkened room with a couple bottles of beer and man was it one hell of a trip.

It's horror distilled into its purest form where despite all the surreal events that surround you, the most terrifying thing is seeing the plague that's overcome the village slowly take hold as each day goes by. There's plenty of bizzare sights to see and interesting myths to unravel, but watching people slowly die as they beg for anything to relieve them from their suffering, trading away their valuables just to survive (Which you can exploit for yourself as the economy changes to reflect the status of the village) and feeling utterly powerless to stop it is a feeling that no other game evokes so well.

If you've played DEFCON you'll know how unsettling the sounds are that play quietly in the background following the nuclear apocalypse that inevitably follows each session: People weeping, coughing, dying. Pathologic puts you right in the centre of an epidemic and shows you its effects firsthand without being cornball in its presentation. It's the mundanity of the setting that really brings the horror to life. Highly reccomended, and I was chewing through the incredibly broken English translation it was originally released with.

E: The blurb on the STEAM page has this to say:

quote:

The atmosphere of bleakness and despair without cartoonish evil or bad guys. Playtime is over—there will be no jump scares or simple solutions. You will have to do it the hard way.

It's absolutely true. There's no gurning Commander DeathSkull talking to you over the radio about how sweet the suffering is, there's no horrible screeching .jpg waiting around the next corner. Often times you'll be faced with a decision where there's no right solution, the only outcome being a different shade of misery inflicted on someone who most likely didn't deserve it. They really nail the "Bleakness and despair" advertised in that point.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My only fear is that a better English translation will dilute some of the horror from the game. Not knowing what the gently caress is going on or what anyone is saying kind of added to the weirdness of the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My only fear is that a better English translation will dilute some of the horror from the game. Not knowing what the gently caress is going on or what anyone is saying kind of added to the weirdness of the game.

Maybe partially, but it still has that Eastern European horror feeling of you being just a cog in a world that is slowly going to poo poo, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Or if there is, you are only going to get there through a lot of pain and misery inflicted on you and the people around you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Maybe partially, but it still has that Eastern European horror feeling of you being just a cog in a world that is slowly going to poo poo, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Or if there is, you are only going to get there through a lot of pain and misery inflicted on you and the people around you.

You also still need to combat the totally alien atmosphere of the village, like the conspiracies and conflicts between the powerful families that you just sort of blunder into.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bogart posted:

Patrick Klepek on Kotaku made a list of the 'best' horror games, but because gently caress Gawker, I'll list it here for you. Amnesia: TDD, Outlast, Five Nights at Freddy's, Fatal Frame 2, Siren Blood Curse, Alien Isolation, Condemned 1, Dead Space, ZombiU, and Until Dawn, with honorable mentions to PT and Dreadhalls. Not the worst list ever, even if Outlast is The Lamest poo poo.

I'd swap out FNAF and Outlast with any Silent Hills, Clock Tower, RE1/2, Pathologic. I'd put PT over FNAF any day of the week.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'd swap out FNAF and Outlast with any Silent Hills, Clock Tower, RE1/2, Pathologic. I'd put PT over FNAF any day of the week.

He does put PT over FNAF. The only reason it's not on the list proper is it's a list of "Games that are scary and also you can realistically get ahold of/play." and quite frankly after Konami's purge if you haven't played PT by this point it's highly doubtful you're going to be able to.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 29, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Now I'm wondering what a Fatal Frame game made by Kojima would play like.
Actually knowing him it'd probably require you to take snapshots of ghost titties and panties so perhaps not a good idea.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Now I'm wondering what a Fatal Frame game made by Kojima would play like.
Actually knowing him it'd probably require you to take snapshots of ghost titties and panties so perhaps not a good idea.

More líke you play as a ghost with a camera who has to take the pantyshots of the buff dudes living in the apartament you are haunting.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

papasyhotcakes posted:

More líke you play as a ghost with a camera who has to take the pantyshots of the buff dudes living in the apartament you are haunting.

On second thought, perhaps Kojima directing a Fatal Frame game is a good idea.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Outlast II teaser:

http://youtu.be/YhiP5FBcCXc

I didn't really like the first one, but hoo-boy am I a sucker for backwoods Satanic cult poo poo so if the game can keep the same tone as this brief little video I am extremely down.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

Brother, I'm with you on PT, Pathologic, Silent Hill 1-3, maybe REmake.

e: I caved and bought Pathologic. Translation's great. I love/hate this game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Lucius is a bad game? huh, it looked kinda cool, though.

Lucius isn't a "good" game but it's easy, straightforward, and incredibly entertaining.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zombie Samurai posted:

28. Lakeview Cabin Collection

At this time, LCC contains two episodes, III and IV. V and VI are promised for the future...

...and guess what just came out today.

Episode V feels like a take on Nightmare on Elm Street, with a masked killer stalking four teens through the suburbs. He can't be killed, so you have to hunt through the houses to find clues and solve strange occult puzzles.

There's also a really interesting new mechanic when one of your characters dies that helps reveal some of the backstory, and seems to work like a sort of hint system.

It's also really weird and creepy and 25% off so there's absolutely no reason not to get Lakeview Cabin Collection like right now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

It's not an issue, just a bad puzzle that involves following a tiny item that moves through the piping of several rooms and ends up in an area outside you probably never visited ever.

Yeah, that's where I got stuck. I figured it bugged out on me, I couldn't seem to do anything more and I couldn't look into the area I thought I needed to. Maybe I just missed one tiny thing that kept me from progressing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

WatermelonGun posted:

Outlast II teaser:

I didn't really like the first one, but hoo-boy am I a sucker for backwoods Satanic cult poo poo so if the game can keep the same tone as this brief little video I am extremely down.

Yeah the satanic cult angle looks really interesting, I hope they don't continue with the silly wall rider plot and create a whole new demon possession thing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I've made it to chapter 4 of Fatal Frame 2, does it actually get scary at any point? I'm a real wuss with horror games but nothing so far has been more than mildly unpleasant ...

Also they really should have called this game Invincibility Frame for all the bullshit ghosts pull

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is Layers of Fear worth playing in its current state, or should I hold off until it's actually finished? I remember people saying earlier in the thread that it just kind of ends abruptly at one point with a "hey thanks for playing", but I could deal with that if the rest of the experience is worth it in its current state.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Yeah the satanic cult angle looks really interesting, I hope they don't continue with the silly wall rider plot and create a whole new demon possession thing

Why is the Wall Rider silly but Satanic possession not? Not trying to go all Atheist here but "science ghosts" beat "demons" any day.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So I've made it to chapter 4 of Fatal Frame 2, does it actually get scary at any point? I'm a real wuss with horror games but nothing so far has been more than mildly unpleasant ...

Also they really should have called this game Invincibility Frame for all the bullshit ghosts pull

Just wait until the "insta-kill" ghost part.

It has been a long time since I played through that game so I can't really answer that question.
Adding on; Fatal Frame II had creepy moments for me but nothing compared to how FF1 felt for me the first time I played it. It was so much more...oppressive? Finally, FF3's house sequences really added a nice touch. I wish there were more games like that out there.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

MockingQuantum posted:

Is Layers of Fear worth playing in its current state, or should I hold off until it's actually finished? I remember people saying earlier in the thread that it just kind of ends abruptly at one point with a "hey thanks for playing", but I could deal with that if the rest of the experience is worth it in its current state.
I think it's worth the admission price for what's currently there; I think the set pieces work well and it can be pretty spooky. It's also apparently 75% done, so you should get a majority of the story (though yeah, it does end rather suddenly).

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It depends on what you find scary? I found the game reasonably scary though it does start a bit slowly. I mean did you find the first game scary at all?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Niggurath posted:

It depends on what you find scary? I found the game reasonably scary though it does start a bit slowly. I mean did you find the first game scary at all?

I didn't play the first one, on account of hearing the second was a much stronger title. The ghosts just aren't that scary and the arcadey mechanics feel too gamey to be scary, I think basing a horror game around having to kill every enemy just ruins the mystique

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I didn't play the first one, on account of hearing the second was a much stronger title. The ghosts just aren't that scary and the arcadey mechanics feel too gamey to be scary, I think basing a horror game around having to kill every enemy just ruins the mystique
Yeah, the first game felt more like a prototype in regards to game play and how things were setup story wise, but the atmosphere (as professor cats mentioned) was a lot more oppressive and bleak. Everything was dark and rotted away in the setting, and all the documents and stories you found just fully went into how everything was hosed. Fatal Frame 2 has this as well to some degree, but the village feels more locked in time rather than the ghostly shell that is the mansion in the first game.

Still not every enemy encounter is necessary, they just force you in the early game to get you used to combat. Later on there will be plenty of times when you can run away from combat if you want, unless it's story specific to get an item or something.

Really the worst thing about Fatal Frame 2, at least for me, was 80% of the game is a cycle of losing your sister and then finding your sister. That seriously happens like three or four times.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why is the Wall Rider silly but Satanic possession not? Not trying to go all Atheist here but "science ghosts" beat "demons" any day.

Wrong. Satan rules, nanobot ghost demons or whatever do not.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Uncanny Valley is 75% off right now for anyone still curious about it at $2.50.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Section Z posted:

...son of a bitch. I bought it for $10.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

chitoryu12 posted:

...son of a bitch. I bought it for $10.
Request a refund and rebuy it, as long as you haven't played it for more than 2 hours or owned it for longer than 2 weeks it should be easy. I keep forgetting that's a thing but Steam is perfectly OK with people doing that.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Well, Friday the 13th unveiled some of their stretch goals. I still think their being overly optimistic seeing as it's fairly likely they won't even raise $ 700,000.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
There is 75 pages of games on sale on steam. As someone that hasn't heard of almost all the games on there, any must haves in the list?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

tensai posted:

There is 75 pages of games on sale on steam. As someone that hasn't heard of almost all the games on there, any must haves in the list?

There's such a weird spread of games discounted that it's hard to recommend something without knowing what kind of spooks you like. I've been reviewing random spooky games all month and a bunch of them are on sale, so if any of them sound interesting that might be a place to start.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley
25. Black Mirror
26. Dementium II HD
27. Silence of the Sleep
28. Lakeview Cabin Collection

29. Sanitarium

Sanitarium always struck me as one of the unsung classics of the adventure genre. Releasing originally in 1998, it came right before a significant lull in point and click games. It's hard to say if it would have garnered more or less attention had it come out during one of the prime periods, since it does a lot of things right, but still suffers from many of the flaws that hampered its contemporaries.

The game opens with you as an amnesiac named Max, terribly scarred and confused, locked up in the least feasible insane asylum imaginable. Seriously, Arkham has nothing on this place; one of your first tasks is to engineer yourself across a Death Star Tractor Control-style chasm to a guard office suspended above the abyss, all while the oddly medieval tower crumbles around you. It only gets stranger from there as Max is whisked away to towns of zombie children, a circus on an island beset by man-eating squid, and a living hive of human-sized bugs that's even more bizarre than whatever you're imagining.

The real strength of Sanitarium is in its settings, the dark, impossible worlds that each of its thirteen chapters take place in. They are wholly unique and dreamlike, perfectly capturing that backdrop of madness in the same way that Planescape: Torment captured life in an utterly alien city. The graphics are actually quite similar, both employing those early 3D models transposed into animated sprites. The worlds of Sanitarium are not overly large, so the graphics benefit from some excellent detail and extra animations for almost any situation.

There are plenty of NPCs to interact with, each with a unique and adequately voiced personality. Puzzles tend to be pretty clear for the most part, and the game doesn't bog you down with a sprawling inventory like some of its peers. You may run into a few walkthrough situations in the more alien settings, but in general the game does a good job of communicating what you should be doing and how to go about it. Unfortunately, it make take you some time to get it done because your walk speed is on the very low end of tolerable and there's no sprinting or fast travel. The adequate voice work can also drone on for far longer than is welcome, though spoken dialog can be skipped through in favor of the ever-present text.

Story-wise, Sanitarium is almost as much of a fever dream as the presentation. Max clearly has mental issues that are revealed symbolically through the many worlds of the game, but there's a much grander plot at work that reaches farther than most adventure games dare. It's a bit brazen and corny at times, but also woven into the symbolism in some pretty interesting ways. The whole journey is worth seeing through, and as long as you have some patience for slow trudging, overdone VOs, and a few obnoxious pixel hunts, I have no doubt Sanitarium will prove why it deserves to stand among the adventure classics.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

WatermelonGun posted:

Outlast II teaser:

Oh poo poo I wanna play iiiit.

I love when fictional narratives use Christianity as this mythology instead of an organized religion

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Sanitarium is fantastic.

Pathologic is really, really interesting but I'd only play it with the cheats turned on because it's almost unplayable otherwise. It's brutal and you end up having to spend all your time dodging guards and scrounging instead of exploring the hosed up town. I'd also worry the fixed translation would mess up the atmosphere. Though the game is batshit insane from the start and manages to consistently get crazier and crazier as you play. Ice-pick's writer/director guy must be a bit nuts.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Section Z posted:

About how long is it?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have $5.62 in Steam cash, is there anything I should really be keeping an eye out for in this sale?

Also, I finished up Metro 2033 Redux and Afterfall: Insanity. Both pretty decent post-apocalyptic horror, Afterfall isn't on Steam right now because I guess there's some poo poo going on with the publisher and Epic. Afterfall also goes pretty nuts for the last couple chapters. If it ever pops back up, maybe give it a look if you catch it on sale.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

About how long is it?

There are multiple endings, all VERY different. Some you can get pretty easily, but if you want to solve the mystery it's probably going to take you around 2 hours, and a few more to get all of them.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I found Uncanny Valley Too long, imo, considering that you're almost required to replay it to get anything out of it.

I played through it once, got a REALLY lovely ending, like gently caress you player, for failing a timed inventory puzzle, in a fiddly inventory you haven't had to use since the very beginning, and only have a short time to complete, no retries - now enjoy this loving disturbing poo poo while we explain nothing!

I started another playthrough immediately, but then realized that I'd have to do aaalll the dream sequences, all the tedious work poo poo, all over again and just... couldn't be arsed. I mean, the game mainly consists of holding left or right while your character moves slowly from screen to empty screen. And what if I'd get the same ending again? With the exception of the abovementioned timed puzzle, I don't even know what I did wrong to deserve the bad end. Free exploration's discouraged, time runs out way fast, and there are no second chances if you fail something. I tried wandering off the plot path a lot, but it produced no results most of the time, just empty rooms or some flavour text.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

woodenchicken posted:

I found Uncanny Valley Too long, imo, considering that you're almost required to replay it to get anything out of it.

I played through it once, got a REALLY lovely ending, like gently caress you player, for failing a timed inventory puzzle, in a fiddly inventory you haven't had to use since the very beginning, and only have a short time to complete, no retries - now enjoy this loving disturbing poo poo while we explain nothing!

I started another playthrough immediately, but then realized that I'd have to do aaalll the dream sequences, all the tedious work poo poo, all over again and just... couldn't be arsed. I mean, the game mainly consists of holding left or right while your character moves slowly from screen to empty screen. And what if I'd get the same ending again? With the exception of the abovementioned timed puzzle, I don't even know what I did wrong to deserve the bad end. Free exploration's discouraged, time runs out way fast, and there are no second chances if you fail something. I tried wandering off the plot path a lot, but it produced no results most of the time, just empty rooms or some flavour text.

You can skip days by sleeping through them.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spite posted:

Pathologic is really, really interesting but I'd only play it with the cheats turned on because it's almost unplayable otherwise. It's brutal and you end up having to spend all your time dodging guards and scrounging instead of exploring the hosed up town. I'd also worry the fixed translation would mess up the atmosphere. Though the game is batshit insane from the start and manages to consistently get crazier and crazier as you play. Ice-pick's writer/director guy must be a bit nuts.

It is worth noting that Pathologic was originally a tabletop RPG campaign, then was made into a theater play and finally became a computer game, which makes perfect sense given the game we received.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ZearothK posted:

It is worth noting that Pathologic was originally a tabletop RPG campaign, then was made into a theater play and finally became a computer game, which makes perfect sense given the game we received.

A tabletop RPG? Man that would be some crazy stuff that I absolutely want to play

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How is The Cat Lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man, having environmental kills as stretch goals seems really loving dumb for a Friday the 13th game. Especially gating the sleeping bag kill. Come the gently caress on.
The last "many vs one" game Adam Sessler was attached to heavily with marketing was Evolve and we all know how that poo poo turned out so now I'm very cautious about virtually everything he hawks. (Also did stuff for Evil Within which I thought was loving awful but your opinion may vary on that one.)

Think I'm gonna get Lakeview Cabin, looks way too unique to ignore plus it's on discount.