Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
Here are some more discoveries from a newbie, me, playing EA Vanheim:

Storm demons are really cool and good. Perpetual Storm makes people really angry. Invading and destroying a weak neighbour with nothing more than 10 Vanjarls all playing anime dressup with glowing swords/shields and going all Dynasty Warriors on his mortal troops feels really cool and fosters poor relations with that neighbour (but great gem income). Blood hunting with B1 units, dousing rods or not, sucks. Lategame feels like a hilarious mess as nobody can decide who to gang up on and everyone gangs up on everyone as one threat rises and another falls.

I really want to play in another game after this one and after exam season ends, I feel like I've learned a lot about the game and the best way to keep doing that is to get clowned on by better players next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Absolutely. This game is weird for me, I have the most fun when I'm losing. Winning means getting big and micro managing like crazy and that sucks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Newbie game elf pickers v good.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Newbies being taught some hard lessons by "Mictlan, Pangaea, Tir Na Nog, Fomoria, Vanheim, Helheim, and Xibalba." - foolofsound

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I picked Fomoria in my last newbie game. It is me, I am hitler.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

In the shitshow that is EA, Fomoria is a minor hitler at best.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

How are u posted:

You will never be as hitler as Neruz, the MA Ermor "Newbie"

What's funny was, we managed to beat him because we were too new to betray each other once the gently caress Ermors League was formed.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Decrepus posted:

Newbie game elf pickers v good.

I started searching for more info on ea vanheim after i picked it and people on desura especially were sandbagging and whinging about how bad they are, so i began to feel apprehensive about having picked a dud to boot. i guess i can see some rough edges but they seem cool!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Luceid posted:

I started searching for more info on ea vanheim after i picked it and people on desura especially were sandbagging and whinging about how bad they are, so i began to feel apprehensive about having picked a dud to boot. i guess i can see some rough edges but they seem cool!

EA vanheim is one of the most powerful nations in the game, if not the most powerful.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

EA vanheim is one of the most powerful nations in the game, if not the most powerful.

I thought Helheim was better?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

that's embarrassing to find out given how much scarier berytos and xibalba look in the game we're in

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Enjoy posted:

They are different, but I would say vanheim is the stronger of the two.

Luceid posted:

that's embarrassing to find out given how much scarier berytos and xibalba look in the game we're in

EA xib is in the same tier. Berytos should have been rushed/killed/heavily contained in year 1.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
From what I understand helhiem is a bit weaker early game and a smart vanhiem player will murder helhiem during that period of (relative) weakness.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Your strong troops and ridiculous thugs along with competent mages make you pretty loving strong.

Once you get a few palisade up with labs/temples you can pump a few thugging parties out. I used them to pretty good effect in the first game I was in, lead a charge with thugs grabbing provinces quickly to reduce enemy income. Basically I used a blitzkrieg type strategy, by grabbing provinces that were not my border with thugs, so 2 away from my border, and used my main army to grab the border provinces, if the enemy wants to retake the forward provinces you can move in with your army while your thugs go off and thug around some more.

I totally bombed that game because it was my first game, but the strategy worked well, if I did it now I'd probably have a shitload more success.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Luceid posted:

Imagine if Jags were really brutally good in their first form, and stealthy, that's called Vanhere.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

Your strong troops and ridiculous thugs along with competent mages make you pretty loving strong.

Once you get a few palisade up with labs/temples you can pump a few thugging parties out. I used them to pretty good effect in the first game I was in, lead a charge with thugs grabbing provinces quickly to reduce enemy income. Basically I used a blitzkrieg type strategy, by grabbing provinces that were not my border with thugs, so 2 away from my border, and used my main army to grab the border provinces, if the enemy wants to retake the forward provinces you can move in with your army while your thugs go off and thug around some more.

I totally bombed that game because it was my first game, but the strategy worked well, if I did it now I'd probably have a shitload more success.

The hardest thing to manage is not falling too far behind on research and spending shitloads of gold to blood hunt with 285g mages for later. If you can keep some semblance of research parity so you can hit stuff like fog warriors, rain of stones and vampires later on then you can quite easily win the game.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Asphodel is poo poo and ruins games. One of their heroes is a bullshit berserking assassin that really ruins a lot of people's days. Such as Mictlan high priests. This is not a high priest. Also it helps if you script your assassins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LjQFKpx2W0

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Enjoy posted:

the team liquid dominions tier list is bad

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Samog posted:

the team liquid dominions tier list is bad

Never heard of that, I was just going by Helheim having Valkyries

e: do you mean this thing? What does S stand for? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/games/431812-dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension?page=75#1491

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 30, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astral.

Because air got A first and refuses to give it up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nuclearmonkee posted:

EA xib is in the same tier. Berytos should have been rushed/killed/heavily contained in year 1.

EA Xibalba is considerably funnier. Blot out the skies with tiny bats with tiny lances, then carry all the human virgins back to the caves so you can drown the world in jaguars.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Astral.

Because air got A first and refuses to give it up.

No they've used it as part of the ranking system (A, B and C), they seem to have placed it above A

The list is inside the spoilers tag in the post I linked to

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Enjoy posted:

No they've used it as part of the ranking system (A, B and C), they seem to have placed it above A

It's from japanese shooter & brawler games, where S is stands for "even better than A"

Edit: Also Helheim was better than Vanheim in Dom3, but having endgame D is a lot less important now.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Enjoy posted:

I didn't notice the spoiler tag, it looked like you linked to the magic diversity post. :mmmhmm:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GenericOverusedName posted:

Asphodel is poo poo and ruins games. One of their heroes is a bullshit berserking assassin that really ruins a lot of people's days. Such as Mictlan high priests. This is not a high priest. Also it helps if you script your assassins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LjQFKpx2W0

I've noticed you can sometimes have some success by filling cheap assassins up with that cheap magic item which turns people into bombs. It doesn't help much against prepared mages, but the few times the guy gets close enough to go ISIS on someones rear end are always hilarious.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

I basically agree on all points made re: EA Vanheim. If it wasn't my first game I'd probably have won already but my map movements weren't great, I've wasted a lot of time trying to blood hunt, committed too many mages to defensive movements when they should've researched because I was scared, and have been punching out invaders for what feels like 30 turns straight while Berytos and Xibalba NAPped everyone around them and got huge without a fight. It just feels kinda goofy to realize 'hey, you picked like one of the best nations and this is all you have to show for it lol'.

Also I could never play in more than one game at once concurrently while studying/working because turn lengths are really getting up there!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
EA Vanheim, EA Mictlan, EA Xibalba, and maybe EA TNN are probably the strongest nations in the age in practical terms. Helheim isn't quite on the same level due to lack of dead easy Thunder Strike access, but I wouldn't call a list with them on it wrong. Same for Fomoria for different reasons.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Enjoy posted:

Never heard of that, I was just going by Helheim having Valkyries

e: do you mean this thing? What does S stand for? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/games/431812-dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension?page=75#1491

hahah that loving link. Yes, well known powerhouse nation EA Absyia is definitely in the exact same tier as Pan and loving Vanheim... :wtc:

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Please enjoy my newbie comparison of vanheim and helheim:

Commanders:
One in four vanadrotts have A4 which makes it so you don't need to sabbath up to cast huge spells like storm (a4) and fog warriors(a5). Helheim must use vanjarls with 4 sabbath slaves for that. OTOH hangadrotts are pretty solid leaders for your demon army and can even cast curse of blood. Helheim dis can fly innately but they only have a1d1 paths so I'm not sure how useful they are in a real game.

Units:
Vanhere are pretty swole and glamorous dudes with two weapons and berserk +5. If you're fighting them you better kill them in one hit because if you don't they'll drop their weapons and pick up two light sabers and protection 18. That's some phenomenal poo poo on its own, but you also have to consider their cheap as heck 30 gold cost. Helheim's sacreds cost 50 and 70 gold, but have shields and innately high defense. If you pit them against each other high defense doesn't matter against two attacks at 17 skill each. Aside from sacreds both nations have some solid men in sword axe spear patrol chaff and mounted varieties. All with shields and glamour except the patrol chaff.

Summons:
Both nations can combat summon seven valkyries at conjuration six (a3d1) for one gem, but if you choose to go for that spell you're setting your fog warriors back 2750rp on a lovely researcher nation. Helheim has the distinction of being able to summon up some nfl scarewolves if you happen to luck into a n2 caster and some gems.

Overall I'd rate them as the top 3 nations in the era along with TNN. But then again I'm really bad at this game.

I can't comment on thugs because the only thugs I've been able to make are n9e9 Skratti with shrouds, flesh eaters and accursed shields casting quickness, liquid body and breath of winter. I recommend every person try that in an AI game at least once. It costs you 15 pearls and only level 4 in research you otherwise want to grab anyway.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

EA Xib is insanely good. I'm not super good either, but they seem at least as good as the heims to me.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I am playing my first game of EA Xibalba currently. I am really, really impressed with them so far, and it's still fairly early in the game and they seem to only be getting better. Just... ludicrously powerful. They are strong, versatile, and remarkably effective in the early and start of midgame (all I've seen so far - but I'm thinking the lategame will probably go pretty well, looking ahead at the future...)

I have played vanheim and helheim only against AI, and I never had such an easy time as I am having with Xibalba. Vanheim and Helheim might be stronger theoretically in sufficiently skilled hands, but in my personal hands Xibalba are way, way stronger.

That said, I am still relatively inexperienced in multiplayer, so I might be missing something.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Great Gray Shrike posted:

I am playing my first game of EA Xibalba currently. I am really, really impressed with them so far, and it's still fairly early in the game and they seem to only be getting better. Just... ludicrously powerful. They are strong, versatile, and remarkably effective in the early and start of midgame (all I've seen so far - but I'm thinking the lategame will probably go pretty well, looking ahead at the future...)

I have played vanheim and helheim only against AI, and I never had such an easy time as I am having with Xibalba. Vanheim and Helheim might be stronger theoretically in sufficiently skilled hands, but in my personal hands Xibalba are way, way stronger.

That said, I am still relatively inexperienced in multiplayer, so I might be missing something.

Yeah, Xib is weakest in midgame and their midgame is really strong. Early game you have approximately a quadrillion alpha strike tiny bats, late game you are a blood nation with blood sacrifice so good luck with that motherfuckers.

Midgame you just have a quadrillion alpha strike bats supported by piles of 2d-3d casters and other very adequate battlemages, and probably a sprinkling of jaguars to set the theme for the future.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I'm taking a look at this game again because I make poor decisions, and a lot has changed. Among other things they just threw Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu in as Caelian gods and added evil counterparts to the Spenta and other summons, which is kind of neat. Also there's Nazca, which is apparently Caelum + Mictlan + Ermor maybe? How are they? I'm taking a look at their units and holy crap the Royal Mallqui. Only 10% chance of extra paths and a ludicrous cost, but, wow. That's ridiculous.

I should really stop looking at all this stuff because it's making me want to play again.

Edit: And just discovered Ragha, another Caelum-influenced nation. Wow, Caelum got a lot of love while I wasn't playing. What's up with them? I'm taking a look and they have temperature-dependent recruitment? This seems like a gimmick that is cool in theory and annoying in practice.

Edit again: Several Caelian pretender chassis reference being able to project their "guardian spirit". Is that just flavor text or do they actually do something special?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 30, 2015

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

So I'm taking a look at this game again because I make poor decisions, and a lot has changed. Among other things they just threw Ahura Mazda and Angra Mainyu in as Caelian gods and added evil counterparts to the Spenta and other summons, which is kind of neat. Also there's Nazca, which is apparently Caelum + Mictlan + Ermor maybe? How are they? I'm taking a look at their units and holy crap the Royal Mallqui. Only 10% chance of extra paths and a ludicrous cost, but, wow. That's ridiculous.

I should really stop looking at all this stuff because it's making me want to play again.

Edit: And just discovered Ragha, another Caelum-influenced nation. Wow, Caelum got a lot of love while I wasn't playing. What's up with them? I'm taking a look and they have temperature-dependent recruitment? This seems like a gimmick that is cool in theory and annoying in practice.

Edit again: Several Caelian pretender chassis reference being able to project their "guardian spirit". Is that just flavor text or do they actually do something special?

Royal Mallqui are something you should never, ever be building as Nazca, as there's a way to get them for free(aside from the lol upkeep costs) with much better paths. See the flavor text regarding a Mallqui being a deceased Coya and Inca? It's not joking. Whenever one of them dies, the game will kill off one of the opposite ones too, and you'll get a Royal Mallqui that has the exact paths of both combined. If you don't have any of the opposite, you'll still get one, but with only the single unit's paths.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

I'm taking a look at their units and holy crap the Royal Mallqui.
A Coya is a better mage for most purposes than a Royal Mallqui, which have garbage slots for path boosting.

The "Guardian Spirit" is a Fravashi, which are like a weird elemental thing that sometimes randomly helps out, mainly by casting things at stuff.

If your cool Ragha or Caelan commander is in the Arena and it pops, you are going to have a good time.

If you're in a big battle it'll mostly be irrelevant.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Royal Mallqui are something you should never, ever be building as Nazca, as there's a way to get them for free(aside from the lol upkeep costs) with much better paths. See the flavor text regarding a Mallqui being a deceased Coya and Inca? It's not joking. Whenever one of them dies, the game will kill off one of the opposite ones too, and you'll get a Royal Mallqui that has the exact paths of both combined. If you don't have any of the opposite, you'll still get one, but with only the single unit's paths.

I usually build two for searching. Otherwise you are spending 4 cap turns to recruit the two mages to search vs 1. Later they can forge.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Royal mallqui can do some pretty funny poo poo if you can use them in a fight without magic duels

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

A Coya is a better mage for most purposes than a Royal Mallqui, which have garbage slots for path boosting.

Sadly, the Coya being better is also irrelevant since the game apparently sometimes strips her of her units and sends her off to die in another province

Which is why I have always the Inca waiting somewhere, just in case.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its really cool when you have thrown like 50 gems onto a inca so it can vaguely resemble a real cap only str mage and then his wife dies to an event and you lose all of your gems, because gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Koth posted:

Oh dang, I thought that's what it was hinting at but given my past Dominions experiences I didn't think it'd actually be capable of pulling that off. Neat; they've been working on this a lot. And yeah, that certainly seems like a better deal; those things are stupidly expensive, but they're sacred so their upkeep cost is... Probably still horrendous but not as bad.

Libluini posted:

Sadly, the Coya being better is also irrelevant since the game apparently sometimes strips her of her units and sends her off to die in another province

Which is why I have always the Inca waiting somewhere, just in case.

I saw the earlier post about this; is this a regular thing or was it a one-time anomaly? That seems really strange.

jBrereton posted:

The "Guardian Spirit" is a Fravashi, which are like a weird elemental thing that sometimes randomly helps out, mainly by casting things at stuff.

If your cool Ragha or Caelan commander is in the Arena and it pops, you are going to have a good time.

If you're in a big battle it'll mostly be irrelevant.

Alright, thanks for the tip there.

Anyone have any Ragha tips? I like the idea of an LA Caelum that can actually do Caelum things, and the Abysia stuff they get seems cool too, (also, the Zoroastrianism-based group finally gets fire temples) but they seem strange, and the temperature scales thing comes off as either giving up a lot of almost-free points, or going heavily into one temperature and making a choice between your somewhat-better mages and your cool-but-expensive sacreds. Also their elephants cost a million resources, as do much of their other things, so you can't go Sloth like I'd do normally; they seem to want nice scales, though if you go with their sacreds a bless is probably nice too.

Also, is the Ahura of Wisdom good for anything or is he just an "I want huge Astral" chassis? It seems like the game still has a major "lot of cool, flavorful pretender options, few you'll actually want" thing, though I could be mistaken on this front; they've apparently rebalanced this massively so I'm still figuring it out.

• Locked thread