Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Butt Savage posted:

I keep staring at this thing and am having a hard time coming up with the words to express my feelings about it. Thank god for smilies: :stare:

It's gonna be fun watching the crazy poo poo OEMs are gonna come up with to make Microsoft's Continuum experience and whatever Google is coming up with a reality on the laptop side of things. (though it totally depends on if MS even bothers bringing stuff like Continuum into the laptop realm and if Google is following in MS's footsteps in the first place)
I have to admit, the continuum poo poo looks impressive, and I'm seriously considering buying into win10 in a big way (or, bigger way, since I bought a surface book already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Butt Savage posted:

I keep staring at this thing and am having a hard time coming up with the words to express my feelings about it. Thank god for smilies: :stare:

It's gonna be fun watching the crazy poo poo OEMs are gonna come up with to make Microsoft's Continuum experience and whatever Google is coming up with a reality on the laptop side of things. (though it totally depends on if MS even bothers bringing stuff like Continuum into the laptop realm and if Google is following in MS's footsteps in the first place)

The Microsoft CONTINUUM dock is just a cable that has phone on one end, monitor/usb on the other, and it's $100 bucks. It's insane and priced out of range for any market traction.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I have to admit, the continuum poo poo looks impressive, and I'm seriously considering buying into win10 in a big way (or, bigger way, since I bought a surface book already).

I sincerely believe, and have believed since smartphones have gotten more powerful, that things like Continuum are the future of computing for the average person. The smartphone becomes the core that is docked to a desktop station or a laptop "shell" to provide the environment a user needs to do whatever task they need to do under those particular platforms. The phone transforms from the motorcycle into the car, or maybe even the truck if technology can get us that far. We'll see how it pans out, but I'm also excited about Microsoft's ideas on this stuff. The original Surface was just the first step, really.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The Microsoft CONTINUUM dock is just a cable that has phone on one end, monitor/usb on the other, and it's $100 bucks. It's insane and priced out of range for any market traction.

Yes, the pricing is retarded as gently caress, but the idea behind it isn't too stupid/insane. I'm not counting the theory behind it out just yet. It's too soon to do so and will surely improve in the future. (Just look at how far the Surface idea has come, even though the OS itself still needs work to fully materialize the hybrid idea)

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 30, 2015

Eremys
Oct 20, 2004
indigi bought me this account cause I'm a schlub with no credit :(
I hate the rattle of the nexus 6P volume rocker when you put it down. Otherwise good phone thus far.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eremys posted:

I hate the rattle of the nexus 6P volume rocker when you put it down. Otherwise good phone thus far.
No rattle on mine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Now that I think about it, I'm really starting to worry that dragging Chrome OS into Android will mean Chromebooks will turn into the asstown that OEM Android is and that Chrome for actual general-purpose computers will lose extensions and maybe even disappear.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Eremys posted:

No rattle on mine, either.

Still trying to figure out the best way to pick it up. Its huge and grabbing on each side results in hitting the power and/or volume buttons.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
From what I understand Continuuum is not supposed to require the Microsoft Display Dock (which is a thing that charges your phone and provides USB and display outputs). You would simply be able to wireless Miracast a display and use Bluetooth input devices if you so wished. (And so, therefore, 3rd parties would be able to provide their own docking solutions as well. Continuum is meant to be a general effect, not a DRMed thing.)

e: I mean, really, a USB->video adapter like Apple's lightning connector or off-brand poo poo usually runs $40-$50, and portable USB port replicators usually run $50 (though the Targus version apparently MSRPs for $150? really? and doesn't do video), so the Display Dock is not outrageously priced.

e2: fwiw that atrix lapdock iirc had its MSRP at $250 or something

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 30, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ilkhan posted:

No rattle on mine, either.

Still trying to figure out the best way to pick it up. Its huge and grabbing on each side results in hitting the power and/or volume buttons.

I agree with this. It's a big phone coming from a Nexus 5. Also I'm reaching for the power button in the wrong spot.

I'm almost thinking a case would be good for this guy to make it less slippy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

beerinator posted:

I'm almost thinking a case would be good for this guy to make it less slippy.

Definitely a good use case for some grip tape imo

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Definitely a good use case for some grip tape imo

I'm just going to duct tape the cardboard cutout I created to the back of the phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

beerinator posted:

I'm just going to duct tape the cardboard cutout I created to the back of the phone.

That should help protect it when you fastball it into the wall.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Okay so I just ran into a keyboard issue on my Moto X Style that has happened a few times now. (Stock keyboard)

Typing any letter will result in whatever word it was going to guess to be added. Trying to erase it by tapping on backspace resulted in the last letter of that word being repeated. Holding it down erased it just fine but I literally wasn't able to type a single word without a load of other words getting smushed inside it.

Anyone else have this?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

From what I understand Continuuum is not supposed to require the Microsoft Display Dock (which is a thing that charges your phone and provides USB and display outputs). You would simply be able to wireless Miracast a display and use Bluetooth input devices if you so wished. (And so, therefore, 3rd parties would be able to provide their own docking solutions as well. Continuum is meant to be a general effect, not a DRMed thing.)

e: I mean, really, a USB->video adapter like Apple's lightning connector or off-brand poo poo usually runs $40-$50, and portable USB port replicators usually run $50 (though the Targus version apparently MSRPs for $150? really? and doesn't do video), so the Display Dock is not outrageously priced.

Looks like you're right (trigger warning: Verge link):

I really hope Google is thinking the same thing, just to have another gigantic company trying to make this a reality in its own way.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Super Dude posted:

I've found monoprice is great for cables that aren't going to be plugged/unplugged constantly (HDMI, ethernet, etc.)

My microusb cables have been fine, I did order a thicker gauge though

GokieKS posted:

6P showed up today, and seems pretty awesome so far. Length of the included USB Type A to Type C cable is annoying, as is the fact that taking advantage of the rapid charging requires the use of the included Type C AC adapter*. Debating if I want to get another A to C cable, or maybe just some micro-B to Type C adapters and deal with the lower charging speed until Type C becomes more common and I can then buy some multi-port chargers with Type C built in (Anker has one coming soon, but it's only 3 Type A ports and 1 Type C port, which isn't very future proof... ideally I'd like one with 4 + 2 or 3 + 3).

I just bought some micro-to-Type C adapters off Ebay. There aren't any type-C chargers right now that look that appealing and literally every other device in my house is micro.

The few multi-port Type-C chargers available now don't even rapid charge. And they have the same 1 type-C, the rest type A configuration you're complaining about so it's not even better than getting an adapter

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Reverse Centaur posted:

My work just got new phones because we're big burly men and need big burly phones. This thing is ridiculous

Sonim XP7. It runs well enough with basically stock android but makes my Nexus 6 feel small and dainty. 21mm thick and 290 g (10.23 oz). Weight is explained by a 4800 mAh battery.

Gonna need a fanny pack to carry this thing in, holey moley

Full specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/sonim_xp7-6828.php

Update on this phone: I work 12.5 hour shifts and have never seen the battery drop below 98%.

Call quality apparently sucks though. And I can't stand the weight, even as a Note early adopter/zero lemon user.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Butt Savage posted:

I sincerely believe, and have believed since smartphones have gotten more powerful, that things like Continuum are the future of computing for the average person. The smartphone becomes the core that is docked to a desktop station or a laptop "shell" to provide the environment a user needs to do whatever task they need to do under those particular platforms. The phone transforms from the motorcycle into the car, or maybe even the truck if technology can get us that far. We'll see how it pans out, but I'm also excited about Microsoft's ideas on this stuff. The original Surface was just the first step, really.

What you be the advantage of doing that over having separate devices? I can't think of even one and there are plenty of downsides.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Butt Savage posted:

I sincerely believe, and have believed since smartphones have gotten more powerful, that things like Continuum are the future of computing for the average person. The smartphone becomes the core that is docked to a desktop station or a laptop "shell" to provide the environment a user needs to do whatever task they need to do under those particular platforms.

This is why I used to be excited about Ubuntu Phone until it just kind of...disappeared. Not enough Momentuum I guess, but as long as someone takes up the torch I'm in!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

:canada: carrier 6p release date is now November 4th. Why do they do this. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/29/n...campaign=buffer

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I just got a Note 5 today but I may have to exchange it for an S6. I don't think I'll ever be able to use this thing to send a text one handed, or really anything else. I keep pressing the return or the backspace button with the bottom right of my palm when I reach over to the left side of the keyboard. And the volume control is just out of reach. Maybe I overestimated (or underestimated, depending on how you look at it) the size of my hands.

The phone is pretty kick rear end though and the stylus rules. If I used the phone with two hands more often I'd keep it but I just don't think I'll be able to take full advantage of it otherwise.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Viper915 posted:

Docked you say?

This looks legitimately obscene.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Santheb posted:

I just got a Note 5 today but I may have to exchange it for an S6. I don't think I'll ever be able to use this thing to send a text one handed, or really anything else. I keep pressing the return or the backspace button with the bottom right of my palm when I reach over to the left side of the keyboard. And the volume control is just out of reach. Maybe I overestimated (or underestimated, depending on how you look at it) the size of my hands.

The phone is pretty kick rear end though and the stylus rules. If I used the phone with two hands more often I'd keep it but I just don't think I'll be able to take full advantage of it otherwise.

Just get used to it and adjust the way you hold it like everyone else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At launch it was $500 with a $100 rebate. For something that did literally nothing without the phone docked. Source.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Butt Savage posted:

In the modern age, the Atrix / Continuum way of doing things seems broken and pointless:

All my data is synced instantly to the cloud
    SoCs are cheap, and are the only components that are actually shared when connecting your phone to a screen etc.
    You can't use both at the same time (AKA I go out and my gf can't use my laptop).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

You can't use both at the same time (AKA I go out and my gf can't use my laptop).
The idea is that she would have her own phone-unit-thing to connect to it.

I'm not totally convinced by the concept, however, and it's one of those things were it doesn't work very well until everything works this way.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Obviously this will be one of the typical tech problems: if someone can figure out how to do it so that it's 1) easy, and 2) seamless, we'll all be talking about it. Even though I have a fast laptop with an SSD -- boots up in 7 or 8 seconds -- I reach for my phone for short emails, because it's on instantly. I'm imagining this: I set my phone down next to a monitor and keyboard, and I instantly see my email on the larger screen, and start typing on the full-size keyboard. I can easily imagine doing this *if* it woks easily and seamlessly.

Of course, given how tech goes, maybe somebody invents something better and we skip right over this part.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The thing about the "everything works this way" is that the groundwork is already laid. Miracast has been a standard for a few years now and to bring it back to the thread topic Android supports outputting to it since Jelly Bean. Going by the WiFi Alliance page on this topic thousands of devices are already certified for Wireless display via Miracast and that includes TVs, monitors, projectors, and dongles. Wireless peripherals over Bluetooth we don't even have to mention.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Asus had a device that was sort of like that, but it had a bluetooth stylus to write on that also worked as a phone handset so you could talk on the phone device while you were tableting or whatever with it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The thing about the "everything works this way" is that the groundwork is already laid. Miracast has been a standard for a few years now and to bring it back to the thread topic Android supports outputting to it since Jelly Bean. Going by the WiFi Alliance page on this topic thousands of devices are already certified for Wireless display via Miracast and that includes TVs, monitors, projectors, and dongles. Wireless peripherals over Bluetooth we don't even have to mention.
The problem is that this has ~0.5sec latency which makes it fine for simple video-out but garbage for anything interactive.

Has anyone seen a 6P case with a cutout for the buttons? Not a fan of covered buttons.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

Obviously this will be one of the typical tech problems: if someone can figure out how to do it so that it's 1) easy, and 2) seamless, we'll all be talking about it. Even though I have a fast laptop with an SSD -- boots up in 7 or 8 seconds -- I reach for my phone for short emails, because it's on instantly. I'm imagining this: I set my phone down next to a monitor and keyboard, and I instantly see my email on the larger screen, and start typing on the full-size keyboard. I can easily imagine doing this *if* it woks easily and seamlessly.

Of course, given how tech goes, maybe somebody invents something better and we skip right over this part.

First off, as far as I'm aware, iOS/OS X already does this (of course a Mac boots a hell of a lot faster than 7 seconds). Handoff is instant.

Secondly, so does everything else. I start typing an email on my phone and guess what? It's right there in my GMail tab in Chrome. If I'm browsing a website and want to view on the other device, it's already there in the recents list. Google searches I make in one location are at the top of the search bar in the other. Changes made in Google Docs and Sheets are reflected instantly. What things are you wanting to do that don't already do this because I can't think of anything I can't instantly resume on a secondary device.

As far as I can I tell there are more options for doing this than there use cases for wanting to.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

First off, as far as I'm aware, iOS/OS X already does this (of course a Mac boots a hell of a lot faster than 7 seconds). Handoff is instant.

Secondly, so does everything else. I start typing an email on my phone and guess what? It's right there in my GMail tab in Chrome. If I'm browsing a website and want to view on the other device, it's already there in the recents list. Google searches I make in one location are at the top of the search bar in the other. Changes made in Google Docs and Sheets are reflected instantly. What things are you wanting to do that don't already do this because I can't think of anything I can't instantly resume on a secondary device.

As far as I can I tell there are more options for doing this than there use cases for wanting to.

I think my point is: why isn't everyone doing it, then? My guess is that it's either not easy/fast enough, or there are hiccups. I'm a typical forums user, insofar as I don't know dick about computers but every grandma thinks I'm a tech wizard, and I don't find myself often starting something on my phone and finishing it on my laptop.

Not to mention, I think we're talking more about real-time instant mirroring on a separate device, rather than what amounts to instant saving of work. While something like Google Docs is awesome, I'm also saying I'd find it useful to have a wireless dock that instantly mirrors my phone so that I could use a keyboard. Maybe we could argue that this is not really a useful feature, but it would eliminate the need for laptops/desktops for a lot of people.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
My biggest complaint so far about the 6p is that the vibration is really weak. Compared to my Moto X, I can barely feel when it goes off in my pocket.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Tunga posted:

The problem is that this has ~0.5sec latency which makes it fine for simple video-out but garbage for anything interactive.

Has anyone seen a 6P case with a cutout for the buttons? Not a fan of covered buttons.

It actually differs from device to device. HDMI latency is typically 30ms. Good Miracast devices (note: still $50) run from 60-100ms. I submit that that's fine for everything except twitch shooters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

I think my point is: why isn't everyone doing it, then? My guess is that it's either not easy/fast enough, or there are hiccups. I'm a typical forums user, insofar as I don't know dick about computers but every grandma thinks I'm a tech wizard, and I don't find myself often starting something on my phone and finishing it on my laptop.

Not to mention, I think we're talking more about real-time instant mirroring on a separate device, rather than what amounts to instant saving of work. While something like Google Docs is awesome, I'm also saying I'd find it useful to have a wireless dock that instantly mirrors my phone so that I could use a keyboard. Maybe we could argue that this is not really a useful feature, but it would eliminate the need for laptops/desktops for a lot of people.

The reason most people aren't doing it is the same reason people aren't driving nails with a screwdriver. Some tools are better for some tasks than others. I don't start a spreadsheet on my computer and move to my phone because working on a phone sucks for making a spreadsheet. The point is that no matter instantaneous you make it, it won't be fast or seamless.

Let's use the spreadsheet example. Even if, by some magic, a phone placed near my computer would launch Sheets to the sheet I am working on, it still has to load the page and sync the changes. It just has to. This isn't any harder than just opening the sheet myself. Now could you convince me that proximity should populate a launch tool to the specific things you've got open on your phone so that they're preloaded? Sure. That's not a bad idea, per se, but you and I both know it won't get a hell of a lot of use (though it still might be worth pursuing). Even so that's the best you'll ever get: a preloaded set of preloaded web apps ready to switch to and that's more than enough.

There just isn't a use case for a wireless dock to mirror the phone when you could have a real, separate computer that does the exact same thing and isn't useless without the phone. Who wants to replace their computer every time they replace their phone? That's crazy. Why not make use of the computer you likely already have or, if a computer is too rich for your blood, get a Chromebook that does exactly the same thing for a much lower cost and isn't obsoleted by butterfingers in a parking lot twenty miles from your laptop?

The thing you're proposing is a pipe dream that only works in the minds of engineers and falls apart the second it interacts with the real world.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Super Dude posted:

My biggest complaint so far about the 6p is that the vibration is really weak. Compared to my Moto X, I can barely feel when it goes off in my pocket.

Both the speakers and the motor are beefy as hell in the 2015 X Pure. I snoozed my alarm instead of properly dismissing it this morning, set it on the table after drinking my coffee, then I heard it going off - while I was upstairs showering. drat thing is loud as hell when it wants to be.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

The reason most people aren't doing it is the same reason people aren't driving nails with a screwdriver. Some tools are better for some tasks than others. I don't start a spreadsheet on my computer and move to my phone because working on a phone sucks for making a spreadsheet. The point is that no matter instantaneous you make it, it won't be fast or seamless.

Let's use the spreadsheet example. Even if, by some magic, a phone placed near my computer would launch Sheets to the sheet I am working on, it still has to load the page and sync the changes. It just has to. This isn't any harder than just opening the sheet myself. Now could you convince me that proximity should populate a launch tool to the specific things you've got open on your phone so that they're preloaded? Sure. That's not a bad idea, per se, but you and I both know it won't get a hell of a lot of use (though it still might be worth pursuing). Even so that's the best you'll ever get: a preloaded set of preloaded web apps ready to switch to and that's more than enough.

There just isn't a use case for a wireless dock to mirror the phone when you could have a real, separate computer that does the exact same thing and isn't useless without the phone. Who wants to replace their computer every time they replace their phone? That's crazy. Why not make use of the computer you likely already have or, if a computer is too rich for your blood, get a Chromebook that does exactly the same thing for a much lower cost and isn't obsoleted by butterfingers in a parking lot twenty miles from your laptop?

The thing you're proposing is a pipe dream that only works in the minds of engineers and falls apart the second it interacts with the real world.

All things considered, with engineering time being the most valuable resource a company has, I'd wager it's better to dedicate that resource towards better/faster data sync between devices/cloud than designing a display dock.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

All things considered, with engineering time being the most valuable resource a company has, I'd wager it's better to dedicate that resource towards better/faster data sync between devices/cloud than designing a display dock.

True and it's hard to imagine it getting much better than it already is. Drafts of email are instantaneous as far as I can tell. If it's not, I can't start a draft and open the GMail app on my phone fast enough to catch it unsynced. Same with all of the Drive apps.

It also ignores that there aren't a hell of a lot of things I can imagine wanting to move from device to another. Reading place in a document? The same in a long webpage? By design most tasks on a phone are designed to be initiated and completed very quickly. I'm not drafting such a perfect tweet that I need to finish the last 70 characters on a keyboard and large screen and I wager not many people are.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

The point being that it is the exact same app running on the exact same device, just reflowing to a second display. It's not loading another copy of Sheets to a second device and opening that spreadsheet you were working on, it is already open to the sheet you are working on.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Peculiar bug. Just moved to the 5x and when composing an email in Nine the keyboard is not automatically capitalizing the first word in a sentence. My keyboard is doing so in any other app and I cannot identify any settings in Nine that would address this.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So I have a Moto X Style and its pretty awesome. But there's a weird bug where sometimes it just ignores the priority mode. I got it set to " do not disturb" after midnight through that moto app thing. But as I mostly go to bed before that I just set it to priority mode till the next alarm. Most of the times it works great but sometimes it just vibrates in the middle of the night for some random email. This usually wakes up my wife who is pissed at me for not silencing my phone properly. It doesn't make a sound though. It only vibrates. Anyone else with this problem?