Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are your steak knives serrated? If so, that sharpener won't work on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mu Zeta posted:

Are your steak knives serrated? If so, that sharpener won't work on them.

no they are not

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I switched from one of those to a honing steel and I love it to pieces. It gets my lovely knives fantastically sharp and only cost 8 clams.

I bought a bag of apples, 16 cinnamon sticks, a gallon of honey crisp apple cider, a gallon of unfiltered apple juice, white sugar, brown sugar and a half gallon of Everclear.

Gonna boil that poo poo for a little bit and slap in the booze. It tastes so loving right.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Was border yesterday evening, so I ordered this:

An Asus Chromebook Flip, because I realized that I don't use my MacBook Air for anything else than surfing the net and browsing this forum.

If I need to do anything else, I'll use my wifes laptop.

So now the MacBook will be sold.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a lovely Chinese wireless MP3 doorbell.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I got some new bike parts

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

no they are not

Magnificent! Finally someone who understands that serration is only good for bread.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I like it for tomatoes, too.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

neongrey posted:

I like it for tomatoes, too.

They shred tomatoes instead of cutting them. But I agree tomatoes are a good test to check if your knives are sharp enough;

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

They shred tomatoes instead of cutting them. But I agree tomatoes are a good test to check if your knives are sharp enough;

I don't know about you, but I test my knives on shoes, cans, and pipes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think he just wanted to quote Phantom Limb from Venture Bros.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I discard any knife that cannot split a human body in half lengthwise

unfortunately it means all my kitchen knives are the finest japanese katanas and does anyone have good kitchen setups for this? i'm tired of stabbing holes in the walls whenever i want to chop some onions

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I discard any knife that cannot split a human body in half lengthwise

unfortunately it means all my kitchen knives are the finest japanese katanas and does anyone have good kitchen setups for this? i'm tired of stabbing holes in the walls whenever i want to chop some onions

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1451/

For content, I just bought some casting material:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

^^^ Love the Venture Brothers quote.

I'm a weirdo who wants a good headset to work correctly with multiple devices, so I bought a bunch of TRRS leads and jacks and little bits from DigiKey. I'm making a box so a smart phone headset can be either the CTIA or OMTP version, with a breakout so a set of stereo headphones can be used alongside a simple clip-on microphone, and possibly a polarity switcher and mono/stereo switch.

The end goal is a small adapter that will allow me to use just any TRRS headset with my cell phone as well as with a PS4 controller for chat audio, with the bonus of being able to instead switch to using the headset or other mic for chat audio but some other stereo headphones to send game audio to the controller as well.

Also, I didn't buy this but someone did, I was gifted a Medford Praetorian stone washed knife. It's big and thick, like the kind of folding knife Marcus Fenix or Turok would carry:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Magnificent! Finally someone who understands that serration is only good for bread.

Need to look at some pickle forks now

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a serrated (Fiskars) knife and it doesn't tear tomatoes. Maybe your serrated knives are absolute poo poo if they tear tomatoes?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oddhair posted:

I'm a weirdo who wants a good headset to work correctly with multiple devices, so I bought a bunch of TRRS leads and jacks and little bits from DigiKey. I'm making a box so a smart phone headset can be either the CTIA or OMTP version, with a breakout so a set of stereo headphones can be used alongside a simple clip-on microphone, and possibly a polarity switcher and mono/stereo switch.

The end goal is a small adapter that will allow me to use just any TRRS headset with my cell phone as well as with a PS4 controller for chat audio, with the bonus of being able to instead switch to using the headset or other mic for chat audio but some other stereo headphones to send game audio to the controller as well.

Also, I didn't buy this but someone did, I was gifted a Medford Praetorian stone washed knife. It's big and thick, like the kind of folding knife Marcus Fenix or Turok would carry:

The only phones that are OMTP are old junk that you shouldn't support.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Oddhair posted:

I googled that knife cause I want a new one

Feel free to send me your friends contact info, if they're gifting you $1,200 pocket knives

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

Sappo569 posted:

Feel free to send me your friends contact info, if they're gifting you $1,200 pocket knives

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Medf...2306624235.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High...1724344180.html

Mr_Angry
May 15, 2003
A severe disappointment
College Slice
It's been a tough year for my wife and this Christmas will be hard for her due to the recent loss of a loved one so I decided to just get us away for a bit as it's getting cold where we are and she's been talking about a beach vacation. Found the perfect (I hope) spot and will be flying us in style to Kenya where we'll be off the coast of Mombasa on a private resort. Only four cottages, no more than 10 people allowed at any time and our own private beach with snorkeling and at times dolphins just a few feet away.

I'm not sure which of the four cottages we'll get but they are all similar to the two photos I show below. I don't look forward to the mosquito nets and malaria pills but I do look forward to the slow mornings, strong Kenyan coffee and sitting around doing a whole bunch of nothing.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

You can buy the clones like that one for like $20-50 online at tons of places, but they are pretty garbage knives. You can get a real one for much less than $1,200 though if you don't go full Ti or get all the bells and whistles. Think they get down to like $6-800 on the low end.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

you can get a titanium bike frameset for less than 1200.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
One of each:

Got here yesterday after waiting all month. Wife not a fan of phones even as large as the 5X but loves it. 6P for me & the "P" might as well stand for "Perfect"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That photo is incredibly large. put an L before .jpg.

My wife and I both got 6Ps because she's so small that she's used to two handed use anyway, and got used to stealing my Nexus 6 when her S4 died. But we have to wait until at least the 4th because Rogers can't get their poo poo together.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

ArmZ posted:

you can get a titanium bike frameset for less than 1200.

You can also buy $2,000 a piece titanium surgical screws. Things cost money.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

100% Dundee posted:

You can also buy $2,000 a piece titanium surgical screws. Things cost money.

when you use a dumb pocket knife for surgery let me know

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

ArmZ posted:

This man's appendix is about to explode!

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

ArmZ posted:

When you use a dumb bike frame for cutting things, let me know.

100% Dundee has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Oct 31, 2015

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

100% Dundee posted:

fyi you cut things in surgery

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ArmZ posted:

fyi you cut things in surgery

fyi you mentioned a bike frame when people were talking about knives.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

100% Dundee posted:

colas
Feb 14, 2007

That's not the frame :crossarms:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Don't bring a bike frame to a knife thread.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

fyi you mentioned a bike frame when people were talking about knives.

fyi pocket knifes and bikes are toys. sometimes these toys are made out of titanium. it's dumb to buy a $1200 pocket knife. or even a $600 one.

My recent purchase is a used plasma cutter that can cut titanium and is less than $1200.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And it fits in your pocket?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

ArmZ posted:

My recent purchase is a used plasma cutter that can cut titanium and is less than $1200.

So make me a bike frame, 58cm.

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.
A $1200 knife is officially the stupidest loving thing I've ever seen in this thread.

(Also it looks like a lovely prop from a cheesy 80s sci-fi movie)

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
I'm going to look fabulous.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Keket posted:

I'm going to look fabulous.

Liberace called, he said you're trying too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU