Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yoda throwing down is pretty much the best loving thing and if you can't enjoy that you have no joy left in your life.

It was embarrassing and the worst thing in the prequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

greatn posted:

It was embarrassing and the worst thing in the prequels

You have no joy left in your life.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Raskolnikov38 posted:

IIRC from wookiepedia it was to protest a tax.

But that's what doesn't make sense. No one in the Senate actually knows about the blockade, largely because the Trade Federation was preventing anyone from entering or leaving Naboo, but also because Naboo is a small, out of the way planet that doesn't trade a whole lot to begin with. When Amidala finally gets before the Senate and pleads her case, no one responds because this is the first they're hearing about such a blockade. The Neimoidians swear up and down that the allegations of a blockade are untrue, and call for an investigation into the matter. If they were trying to protest the taxes and get them removed, they wouldn't try and prevent everyone from knowing about their protest.

Literally the only reason they blockade Naboo is because Palpatine told them to. This is even addressed in the dialogue of the movie: Qui-Gon explicitly tells Padme, "There is something else behind all this, Your Highness. There is no logic in the Federation's move here."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

You have no joy left in your life.

That's what happens if you watch the prequels, yes

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yoda fighting Dooku was relatively fun to watch compared to the rest of that scene

https://youtu.be/BvnwLLXHabg

In fact the brief spinny, twirling overwrought green man fight was the only part of that sequence that didn't have me going :chloe:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yoda throwing down is pretty much the best loving thing and if you can't enjoy that you have no joy left in your life.

The concept of Yoda throwing down is a pretty good one. Especially because it just makes sense that he's gonna go full force and fly around, using the fact that even among force users he's considered a bit of a heavyweight, to make up for his diminutive size and lack of reach.

The execution in a prequel trilogy that's all glitz and glam and had very little of the interpersonal substance and tension that the original trilogy is what kinda falls flat. It's just more glitz and shiny stuff to look at. Dooku goes "Hi I'm the evil guy behind this army." and Yoda goes "Lightsabres at dawn, I challenge you to!" Yes it looked pretty, and visually it was well executed, narratively it was only well executed to the rest of the prequel stuff.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

And so the emperor gave the order

"Institute order 67..."

And suddenly the goons killed all the pol posts all over the galaxy.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wish everyone would stop talking about children's movies

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You forgot your :smug:.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I think at this point the only reason to discuss American politics is as part of a Jonestown suicide pact.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
USPol derails are the best derails.

For content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw7KHz5jUp8

I still can't get over how dumb and bad this Carson political ad is. It's pretty much :downs:: the Campaign Ad.

"Did you know Washington is built... on a swamp???" ENHANCE.

"Special interest... politics???" :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 30, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Marco Rubio seems like the kind of candidate who thinks Attack of the Clones was the best Star Wars movie.

But really though, if the idea of Yoda, the crazy old Jedi Master you loved from Episode 5 and 6 finally using a lightsaber and being really good at it doesn't make you smile, then you really don't have any joy left. That movie was an abortion, and those 2 minutes were the only part that you cheered for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

stinkles1112 posted:

Yoda fighting Dooku was relatively fun to watch compared to the rest of that scene

In fact the brief spinny, twirling overwrought green man fight was the only part of that sequence that didn't have me going :chloe:

It looked awful then and it looks even worse now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1Y7HXivCQ

For reference

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq51w34Hg9I

Vader stamping down on the clothe left behind as if he may think Obi Wan has made himself tiny or there is a trap door will never not be funny.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 30, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

seiferguy posted:

Marco Rubio seems like the kind of candidate who thinks Attack of the Clones was the best Star Wars movie.

drat, way to crack on his age. Sure he's young but he's not that young.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there a scene in Ep 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin are literally just waving their lightsabers around in circles not even hitting each other at all?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Marco Rubio: the Minecraft candidate

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Hollismason posted:

It looked awful then and it looks even worse now.

It's almost impressive.

Clunky, stupid dialogue, bad direction, unnecessary obvious CG, stiff, unnatural blocking, bad choreography. He hits all the beats.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Duke Igthorn posted:

What children's movie would most be like each Republican Candidate?

Trump - Dunston Checks In

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I came across loads of unisex coed bathrooms while I was in Europe where it was basically just stalls and everyone used them. The obsession over gender is attached to our fun American hang-ups about boys 'n girls sexin' just by being close to each other.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExGBlXKRrYs

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pretty sure Huckabee watches Madoku.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't there a scene in Ep 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin are literally just waving their lightsabers around in circles not even hitting each other at all?

Yes and then they (I guess) tried to push each other at the same time, but it just ended up looking like a sad not-quite high five. The scene continued for another 20 minutes after that.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

happyhippy posted:

What children's movie would most like each Republican Candidate?

Trump - Dunston Checks In

Fiorina - Foodfight!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

seiferguy posted:

But really though, if the idea of Yoda, the crazy old Jedi Master you loved from Episode 5 and 6 finally using a lightsaber and being really good at it doesn't make you smile, then you really don't have any joy left. That movie was an abortion, and those 2 minutes were the only part that you cheered for.

That's exactly it- the idea. Yoda being an awesome badass warrior is something that works best inside a child's imagination. Actually putting it up onscreen can only cheapen it.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

McAlister posted:

Fictional depictions of ambitious women are overwhelmingly negative...

This whole post is fabulous, thanks for this

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

TheRamblingSoul posted:

For content:

I still can't get over how dumb and bad this Carson political ad is. It's pretty much :downs:: the Campaign Ad.

Even with practically unlimited re-do's available to him, he still comes off as Prince Valium.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fix posted:

Because they're the despecialized editions. The whole point is purity to the original.

I get this, but they take it too far. Like lucas fixed some actual legit mistakes in the remasters, stupid little things like imperial guy wearing his rank indicator on the wrong side, and despecialized switches it back. Wrong-side-rank-indicator-guy wasn't a key part of the enjoyment of the original movies for me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yoda in a lightsaber fight should be effortlessly deflecting attacks and wearing an enemy down and advancing while hardly doing anything, while the enemy gets more frustrated and of balance. Not flipping around like a ninja on crack.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I guess to make the circle you can buy Star Wars themed Election 2016

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/clothing-company-sells-star-wars-themed-election-2016-wear-article-1.2193640

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

greatn posted:

Yoda in a lightsaber fight should be effortlessly deflecting attacks and wearing an enemy down and advancing while hardly doing anything, while the enemy gets more frustrated and of balance. Not flipping around like a ninja on crack.
This. If you're going to rip off samurai movies, do it this way. Then you can have an "oh poo poo!" moment in the third when Yoda has to do something desperate and ungainly to defend himself, like bouncing around.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

I get this, but they take it too far. Like lucas fixed some actual legit mistakes in the remasters, stupid little things like imperial guy wearing his rank indicator on the wrong side, and despecialized switches it back. Wrong-side-rank-indicator-guy wasn't a key part of the enjoyment of the original movies for me.

The point is to have a version that merely improves graphical fidelity without having to make a judgement about what's a mistake or a limitation of the time and what's an important part of the original films, in part because one of the goals is the preservation of a culturally-significant film.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Never gets old.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

i haven't watched this in years and it's incredible how bad this all is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

i haven't watched this in years and it's incredible how bad this all is.

The only thing about that entire clip that made me happy was yoda flying around. God everything else is so loving horrible.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "I want to continue to be a Republican because it annoys them." ~ Colin Powell

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just remember being disappointed because people who had seen the movie really built up the Yoda fight.

Remember when you saw Return of the Jedi and it started to lead up to a fight against the Emperor? You knew the guy was old and weak, and that he was a force master. He's unarmed, and then he unloads with something we've never seen before. He's shooting force lightning bolts from his hands! This fits perfectly with the overarching theme that the Force is the most powerful thing in the universe. The Emperor doesn't need weak tools like a lightsaber, he has the force.

So, in the prequels we have Yoda, the #1 top dog at the force, against Dooku. We all know what it looks like when a master of the Dark side fights, so now we finally get to see the most powerful Jedi Master in a fight. And he spins around really quick with a lightsaber. Oh.
This was the chance to do something really creative!
Just a few ideas:
Yoda creates illusory copies of himself. One or two at first, then several. Dooku is able to keep up at first, but soon finds he can't keep up with all the illusory attacks and is forced to retreat, knocking a pillar down upon the helpless Jedi.
Yoda, when moving objects around with the force, is using so much power that the Force physically manifests in the form of a ghostly Yoda hand holding the rocks and stuff. Yoda basically fights with Bigby's crushing fist, using his lightsaber only defensively. Dooku realizes he's outmatched and is forced to retreat, knocking a pillar down upon the helpless Jedi.
Yoda, draws his lightsaber with one hand, and with the other, uses the force to make his saber bend and twist. They fight, and while Dooku is physically more adept, he struggles because Yoda's saber behaves so unpredictably. Towards the middle of the fight, Yoda turns off his own saber, concentrates and Dooku's own saber begins to twist towards Dooku. From this point Dooku is unable to fight, Yoda has effectively disarmed Dooku. Yoda starts to lecture on the power of the light side of the force but Dooku retreats, knocking a pillar down upon the helpless Jedi.

Any of these would be loving amazing. A new Jedi thing that only Yoda can do. Some of them would even adapt well to video game stuff.
But no, we get fast spinny yoda.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only thing about that entire clip that made me happy was yoda flying around. God everything else is so loving horrible.

lol who the gently caress writes this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IcUIFj__Ak

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just remember being disappointed because people who had seen the movie really built up the Yoda fight.

Remember when you saw Return of the Jedi and it started to lead up to a fight against the Emperor? You knew the guy was old and weak, and that he was a force master. He's unarmed, and then he unloads with something we've never seen before. He's shooting force lightning bolts from his hands! This fits perfectly with the overarching theme that the Force is the most powerful thing in the universe. The Emperor doesn't need weak tools like a lightsaber, he has the force.

So, in the prequels we have Yoda, the #1 top dog at the force, against Dooku. We all know what it looks like when a master of the Dark side fights, so now we finally get to see the most powerful Jedi Master in a fight. And he spins around really quick with a lightsaber. Oh.
This was the chance to do something really creative!
Just a few ideas:
Yoda creates illusory copies of himself. One or two at first, then several. Dooku is able to keep up at first, but soon finds he can't keep up with all the illusory attacks and is forced to retreat, knocking a pillar down upon the helpless Jedi.
Yoda, when moving objects around with the force, is using so much power that the Force physically manifests in the form of a ghostly Yoda hand holding the rocks and stuff. Yoda basically fights with Bigby's crushing fist, using his lightsaber only defensively. Dooku realizes he's outmatched and is forced to retreat, knocking a pillar down upon the helpless Jedi.
Yoda, draws his lightsaber with one hand, and with the other, uses the force to make his saber bend and twist. They fight, and while Dooku is physically more adept, he struggles because Yoda's saber behaves so unpredictably. Towards the middle of the fight, Yoda turns off his own saber, concentrates and Dooku's own saber begins to twist towards Dooku. From this point Dooku is unable to fight, Yoda has effectively disarmed Dooku. Yoda starts to lecture on the power of the light side of the force but Dooku retreats, knocking a pillar down upon the helpless Jedi.

Any of these would be loving amazing. A new Jedi thing that only Yoda can do. Some of them would even adapt well to video game stuff.
But no, we get fast spinny yoda.

Exactly right. It's true that Yoda fighting may be best left to the imagination -- so why didn't they try to imagine some new awesome stuff he could do?

Disney should have had this property from the very beginning of prequel production. This is why I have much more faith in the sequels (aside from the fact they'll have original cast members for maximum nostalgia points).

Edit: oh god why is this happening in USPol? I'm so sorry...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

TheRamblingSoul posted:

For content:

Some goon did this after I noticed he basically cribbed this ad from The Simpsons, but I can't find the original post, only my YouTube History (Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JblVU8GyK0

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Phone posted:

_______________/

Really hoping someone will photoshop Rage's nude PMRC protest to say "PAUL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

I wish there had been more. When I saw the crawl in The Phantom Menace and it mentioned a trade dispute, I did a fist pump. I was still disappointed. Why was the Trade Federation blockading Naboo?

Also, not surprising that Republicans hate Bail Organa, considering he was once elected President of the United States as a Democrat.

Man what even are you.

• Locked thread