Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Eimi posted:

Something that always bugged me is how the Sith Empire has like the same drat uniforms as the Galactic Empire thousands of years later. Palpy must have been a REALLY dedicated historical reenactor. And it doesn't make sense for the Empire to have them, because they were former Republic officials and just :psyduck: Like I know just from seeing the armor sets or looking up pictures from the comics, the Sith(race) had this really badass space Egyptian aesthetic. It'd have been awesome if they kept with that instead of dovetailing into "That's from a movie! I've seen it before!"

The Empire's just a bunch of LARPers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

How do you get a strategic resource matrix?

You need to hit your personal Conquest goal for the week.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah I'm F2P, not going to sub for a little while yet - although I'll probably do sooner than planned at this rate. :v:

It's just a bit of a shock really, coming from The Secret World and it's five abilities set-up. I have about six different missiles that all do marginally different things and wargh. Haven't played since release which doesn't help!

I think you can see a world of benefit by just buying like $5 of cartel coins to get you preferred status.

-

I imagine the Eternal Fleet has something to do with the Star Cabal since it's all controlled by the same type of AI that SCORPIO is.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eimi posted:

Something that always bugged me is how the Sith Empire has like the same drat uniforms as the Galactic Empire thousands of years later. Palpy must have been a REALLY dedicated historical reenactor. And it doesn't make sense for the Empire to have them, because they were former Republic officials and just :psyduck: Like I know just from seeing the armor sets or looking up pictures from the comics, the Sith(race) had this really badass space Egyptian aesthetic. It'd have been awesome if they kept with that instead of dovetailing into "That's from a movie! I've seen it before!"

(I really love ancient Egypt and Arabia in general and I want to see more stuff based on them. :colbert:)

All this weird dedication to call backs and wink-nudge reference really just paints a hellscape of a Galaxy, constantly locked in some sort of struggle but never actually advancing or falling apart completely. Eternal Stagnation.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

How do you get a strategic resource matrix?

Completing your personal conquest objective.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is there some sort of goon guild on EU servers?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Eimi posted:

(I really love ancient Egypt and Arabia in general and I want to see more stuff based on them. :colbert:)

Republic officers (Clone Wars era and, presumably, before) also wore the same manner of uniform, right down to the rank insignia. Makes me rather confident that we're headed towards a "what's left of the Empire unifies with the Republic to fight the Zakuulians and then, afterwards, assimilate into galactic society thus explaining why Coruscanti have British accents by the time the movies roll around" ending for whenever EA decides to wrap up this thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Reveilled posted:

Question of my own though, I have a level 55 Agent I'm considering taking through SoR and KotFE, but I'm curious to know, in either expansion does the fact that I'm a double agent get even so much as alluded to, even once? I mean, I'd expect Theron to know since he's SIS, and you meet another double agent on Ziost so I wondered if it comes up.

It comes up once, at the end of Yavin.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I apologize if this has been asked recently but I'm at work on my phone and can't read the last few pages. Someone in chat last night said deception is currently better than hatred for assassins. I've leveled exclusively as hatred and I'm pushing level 60 today. Why is deception better than hatred and should I make the switch when I get home?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Zotix posted:

I apologize if this has been asked recently but I'm at work on my phone and can't read the last few pages. Someone in chat last night said deception is currently better than hatred for assassins. I've leveled exclusively as hatred and I'm pushing level 60 today. Why is deception better than hatred and should I make the switch when I get home?

Only if you really care about slightly better numbers and/or are interested in progression raiding (which TNG doesn't really do).

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Sekenr posted:

Is there some sort of goon guild on EU servers?

I'd love to know this as well. As a filthy Euro I too want to play with you terrible people.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I just completed Red Reaper with a group that spoke some kind of moon language - looked like Swedish, maybe? Anyway, that's not the issue, the issue is that before I could ask "has anyone done this before" on the last boss (they had not), they all bum-rushed him and then died within a minute. So I ended up soloing him from 95% health.

Turns out it's tedious but doable, even with level scaling.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Hulk Smash! posted:

Only if you really care about slightly better numbers and/or are interested in progression raiding (which TNG doesn't really do).

Is bit possible to get top gear in swtor without doing raiding?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Zotix posted:

Not BIS but you can get pretty close if you're filthy rich and buy the stuff people Reverse Engineered from the GTN.

TNG does raid, we just don't do a whole lot of HM/NiM mode Ops. I'm sure there'd be people interested to get that kind of consistent group going though, if there was enough interest.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They just throw money at you at level 65 huh.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Does anyone know if I can just continuously buy the 14.99 SWTOR game on the Origin store to renew my sub every 30 days? Origin for some reason will charge you in Canadian but SWTOR only renews subs in USD and with the lovely exchange rate these days it makes a 14.99 sub closer to 17 or 18 bucks.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Commissar Kip posted:

I'd love to know this as well. As a filthy Euro I too want to play with you terrible people.

Waldorf, myself and a couple of others are in a pubbie guild on the Red Eclipse. There's a Rep and an Empire guild, I think it should be no problem to join us there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hulk Smash! posted:

Zotix posted:

Actually even just in standard story mode raiding and Hard Mode flashpoints Deception is better than Hatred. More DPS output, but also significant damage taken reduction due to built in utilities in Deception.

And as far as getting top gear without raiding, you can craft or buy non moddable 216 pieces that have the exact same stats as story mode operation gear with a purple mat you get for personal conquest. Reverse Engineering that will get you a schematic equivalent to hard mode operation gear that requires a mat purchased from the GTN or won in a roll at the end of an operation. The difference is that raid gear is moddable and carries a set bonus.

However there really isn't any NEED for top gear unless you're raiding.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

That raidbgear is worthless in PvP right?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Zotix posted:

That raidbgear is worthless in PvP right?

Right. You need pvp gear for that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Right. You need pvp gear for that.

Though ironically PvP gear is actually pretty solid for endgame. The 208 main hand barrel at least is identical to the PvE barrel except it has expertise added - mastery and endurance are identical. The relics are good too - better than the 186 crafted purples.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How does unlocking a species for all classes work? Some of the unlock requirements seem to conflict in game. The legacy screen says you need a level 50 character of that species, but the actual unlock screen seems to indicate you need lvl50 & 1.5M credits? I created a chiss & twilek character when I still had a sub, but am I just wasting my time leveling them to unlock for all the other classes?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Orgophlax posted:

How does unlocking a species for all classes work? Some of the unlock requirements seem to conflict in game. The legacy screen says you need a level 50 character of that species, but the actual unlock screen seems to indicate you need lvl50 & 1.5M credits? I created a chiss & twilek character when I still had a sub, but am I just wasting my time leveling them to unlock for all the other classes?

All of the races except Cathar and Togruta are unlocked globally if you get a class to 50. The other two require a cartel unlock, or buy unlock on GTN.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Trip report: Story mode EC

So it's not completely hilariously faceroll easy despite the mechanic nerfs. It didn't help that we went in a little overconfident and did some really sloppy trash pulls, or that we were running 16-man which gives everything stupid amounts of HP. Still, both Zorn/Toth and Kephess were a cakewalk. Both have had their tank swap mechanics removed, so the fights are entirely based around attacking the right thing at the appropriate time and staying out of red circles.

Tanks and minefield caused us problems for various reasons, even with the removal of most of their mechanics. It took us a few tries on tanks mostly to work out positioning. We had several folks doing it for the first time, and most of us vets were half-remembering the fight. Since Double Destruction and Incinerate Armor don't happen, there's no need for a tank swap. During the shield phase, shields will spawn in all 6 possible locations, so you don't have to locate the active one. Minefield surprised us by having the probe droid throw out an Explosive Probe that was one-shotting people, which I didn't expect to see in a story mode. It hit me for about 170k. Once we figured that out and started cleansing it, we did OK.

All in all, a fun time. It was neat to run something as a full 16-man goon group for a change, and we even had to leave out a couple interested people. EC is the op I was most concerned about, mechanics-wise, but it's perfectly doable so long as you're being a little careful. It's necessary to get back into the mentality of "Oh yeah, this is a raid. I might wanna CC a thing." instead of Leeroying it up. I hope to see more new faces coming along with us in the future. Story mode ops seem to be at a good place right now, where they're easy enough to clear reliably but not so much that there's no challenge. They will also shower you with XP and crystals for gear upgrades.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cross-Section posted:

Republic officers (Clone Wars era and, presumably, before) also wore the same manner of uniform, right down to the rank insignia. Makes me rather confident that we're headed towards a "what's left of the Empire unifies with the Republic to fight the Zakuulians and then, afterwards, assimilate into galactic society thus explaining why Coruscanti have British accents by the time the movies roll around" ending for whenever EA decides to wrap up this thing.

Haha, that'd actually be a pretty fantastic explanation for the accent thing. It'd also explain a few other things, like the Sith empire symbol resembling the later emblem of the Republic, the Republic having Star Destroyers and proto-TIE fighter things, etc. And it's not like they'd need to bother trying to reconcile it with the existing EU, either...

The one hole is what happens to all of the actual Sith themselves, since they've been wiped out and driven into secrecy by the time of the movies, but I guess like thousands of years is time for a lot of history to happen...

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Orgophlax posted:

You don't have to manually unlock them, the species will light up as soon as you hit 50 with them. If you click to unlock them the game thinks you're trying to do it right now so it'll always prompt for CC or credits.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Trip report: Story mode EC

So it's not completely hilariously faceroll easy despite the mechanic nerfs. It didn't help that we went in a little overconfident and did some really sloppy trash pulls, or that we were running 16-man which gives everything stupid amounts of HP. Still, both Zorn/Toth and Kephess were a cakewalk. Both have had their tank swap mechanics removed, so the fights are entirely based around attacking the right thing at the appropriate time and staying out of red circles.

Tanks and minefield caused us problems for various reasons, even with the removal of most of their mechanics. It took us a few tries on tanks mostly to work out positioning. We had several folks doing it for the first time, and most of us vets were half-remembering the fight. Since Double Destruction and Incinerate Armor don't happen, there's no need for a tank swap. During the shield phase, shields will spawn in all 6 possible locations, so you don't have to locate the active one. Minefield surprised us by having the probe droid throw out an Explosive Probe that was one-shotting people, which I didn't expect to see in a story mode. It hit me for about 170k. Once we figured that out and started cleansing it, we did OK.

All in all, a fun time. It was neat to run something as a full 16-man goon group for a change, and we even had to leave out a couple interested people. EC is the op I was most concerned about, mechanics-wise, but it's perfectly doable so long as you're being a little careful. It's necessary to get back into the mentality of "Oh yeah, this is a raid. I might wanna CC a thing." instead of Leeroying it up. I hope to see more new faces coming along with us in the future. Story mode ops seem to be at a good place right now, where they're easy enough to clear reliably but not so much that there's no challenge. They will also shower you with XP and crystals for gear upgrades.

For me, the tank boss finally came together when Pyrilia started calling out "run back to the tanks in 3, 2, 1" because I had healer tunnel vision on the health bars and had no idea what was happening mechanics-wise at any time. Raid healing is chaotic and I'm not sure I actually like it but at least I know I'm capable of it now if you ever need one for a raid night! I don't think any of the wipes were specifically my fault (except arguably the explosive probes on the minefield boss but apparently nobody was cleansing those so that's only 25% my fault).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

For me, the tank boss finally came together when Pyrilia started calling out "run back to the tanks in 3, 2, 1" because I had healer tunnel vision on the health bars and had no idea what was happening mechanics-wise at any time. Raid healing is chaotic and I'm not sure I actually like it but at least I know I'm capable of it now if you ever need one for a raid night! I don't think any of the wipes were specifically my fault (except arguably the explosive probes on the minefield boss but apparently nobody was cleansing those so that's only 25% my fault).

Yeah, there were definitely a few "oh yeah I forgot about that mechanic" moments for me (first two tank wipes were on me for retarded tank placement).

It was also interesting to see on the mine field that you can defuse two bombs with one kit.

I'd really like to do 16m weeklies, maybe aim for one specific day first come first serve.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm still pre-KOTFE. Is there a point to grinding up my current companions' influence?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm still pre-KOTFE. Is there a point to grinding up my current companions' influence?

Ship droid, Treek and HK 51.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rasmussen posted:

I really enjoyed kotfe, but I finally realized why was bugging me about it and that is the fact that it's just not star wars anymore. It feels like some kind of bizzarro EU story. I mean it's still good and I enjoyed it, and I understand why they went in this direction but the story and setting is now just future space knights grand adventure.

That's weird, because I frequently have the same kind of visceral "this isn't Star Wars" reaction to EU stuff (KOTOR 2 was a major offender) but this expansion felt way more like "real" Star Wars than most stuff in the game, to me. Largely because it was more like a pulpy space opera adventure with scrappy underdog heroes, and didn't lean too hard on high-concept sci-fi/fantasy ideas. They also didn't try to change anything about what the Force is/does, which is the #1 pet peeve for me. They just had some characters that didn't buy into the Jedi/Sith dogma, which I think makes sense. In the movies, Luke had the Jedi telling him to do one thing and the Sith telling him to do another, and he defied them all, followed his heart, and just tried to do the right thing. I think learning about the Force as a personal spiritual/philosophical journey makes for a better story than trying to follow a written list of rules, and with both the Voss and the Zakuul Empire I think the writers have done a good job of showing different cultural interpretations of the same ideas, without trying to gently caress with the "mechanics" of the Force. I feel like this sort of approach is better at expanding the scope of the Star Wars narrative than trying to (as previously mentioned) give Hoth a complicated back-story.

Without trying to spoil too much, some of the stuff regarding the Emperor is pretty "out there," but it's at least internally consistent with other stories in the same game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yes! Non Entity, one of your greatest creations is back on the Cartel Market!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-93J508iIo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Ship droid, Treek and HK 51.

You can give the ship droid gifts now?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

You can give the ship droid gifts now?

Since Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

Edit - Actually since 1.2, April 2012. :D

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 30, 2015

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yes! Non Entity, one of your greatest creations is back on the Cartel Market!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-93J508iIo

Hahaha

Now I want a halloween outfit for Treek called Treek or Treat

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Why those companions?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zotix posted:

Why those companions?

KOTFE beginning spoilers you lose all of your companions except Treek and HK-51 in the beginning.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zotix posted:

Why those companions?

KotFE changes your available companions, but you can't lose HK-51 or Treek because those are things you can pay actual real money for, and everyone gets their ship's droid back.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm kind of in the same boat - I was Siliyr - but I enjoyed the chaotic raid healing, helped a lot by operatives being good at dropping hots and quick heals on everyone. The tanks really confused me and I felt kind of bad about dying early the first couple of times, but then things clicked for everyone.

That being said, no I was not cleansing probes. That never occurred to me at all. :( My first time in a remotely challenging raid since very early Wrath of the Lich King in WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Zakuul is basically just a really high tech society that has Jedi serving like they do in Legacy from the EU.

Like, from what we've seen they're literally way ahead of everyone else prior to the game starting. According to what certain characters imply Valkorian even helped them figure out that maybe you shouldn't turn Jedi into a celebrity caste of generals or politicians outside of those qualified to actually go into law enforcement or battle. From what we've seen so far their knights are basically just really dark side leaning gray jedi cops that occasionally act as space marines special forces for situations that your average soldier can't handle. Which is pretty awesome and is basically a nod to every writer and character that ever said that the light v dark thing being the only way to go was stupid given how the Force worked.

Heck, the story itself so far has basically showed what happens when that entire concept breaks down due to the two rear end in a top hat children of the resident immortal God-Emperor of Mankind taking over and changing things.

Star Fortress story stuff: Did anyone else notice that Alderaan is essentially being used to create a LARP version of Game of Thrones for a (probably increasingly horrified) Zakuulian populace? When I was told about what was going on I couldn't help but bust out laughing at the implications behind it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 30, 2015

• Locked thread