Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Even with the disc, I don't think anything works before the 10th. I remember some people with slower isp's being annoyed because there was a bunch of launch content that had to be downloaded first. I could be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao if ridiculous bugs aren't your most fond memories of Bethesda games.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, we already know that the console versions have all the content already on the disks so unless there's a requirement that the software phone home first to check on the status of the game before launching then there's nothing stopping them from just booting it up. Unless, of course, that's just promotional materials and the disks are blank. Do Sony and Microsoft allow for "always online" requirements? Some consumers may not have that option.

About 96% of the game is missing from the PC disks so you are actually required to download most of the game from the source (likely Steam or Bethesda.net itself) so you can't really access it before hand.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 30, 2015

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

You have to admit that compared to most companies the marketing machine for fallout 4 started only months before release; and I found this refreshing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

graynull posted:

Even with the disc, I don't think anything works before the 10th. I remember some people with slower isp's being annoyed because there was a bunch of launch content that had to be downloaded first. I could be wrong though.

XBone and PS4 are fully capable of playing any disc game completely offline. The "most of the stuff isn't on the disc" is only for PC.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well, we already know that the console versions have all the content already on the disks so unless there's a requirement that the software phone home first to check on the status of the game before launching then there's nothing stopping them from just booting it up. Unless, of course, that's just promotional materials and the disks are blank. Do Sony and Microsoft allow for "always online" requirements? Some consumers may not have that option.

About 96% of the game is missing from the PC disks so you are actually reacquired to download most of the game from the source (likely Steam or Bethesda.net itself) so you can't really access it before hand.

PS4: Games with online components will refuse to start those functions unless you update; however, you can forego updates if you wish. Single player components are held to be fully playable with only a fresh-out-of-box console and disc.

I did some quick searches, and it looks like some games have firmware on them to update the PS4. For example, the launch titles would automatically update the system to v1.06. Good idea, really; I guess you might as well use the extra space for something useful.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SunAndSpring posted:

What kind of retard buys a season pass or a collector's edition

A significant amount of Star Wars fans judging by the Battlefront thread

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
What's the best deal I can get for this in the UK? Are there any cool preorder bonuses or codes I can use?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

SunAndSpring posted:

What kind of retard buys a season pass or a collector's edition
Me. :shepspends:

I buy season passes, not collector editions.

One of them gives me more game, the other does not.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

henpod posted:

What's the best deal I can get for this in the UK? Are there any cool preorder bonuses or codes I can use?

You can always check istheranydeal.com for price comparisons, but I used Greenmangaming's general site-wide voucher for a 22% discount.

Edit: no good pre-order bonuses AFAIK, just the chance (maybe) to get your keys early enough to pre-load.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Nycticeius posted:

You can always check istheranydeal.com for price comparisons, but I used Greenmangaming's general site-wide voucher for a 22% discount.

Edit: no good pre-order bonuses AFAIK, just the chance (maybe) to get your keys early enough to pre-load.

Does that apply for the PS4 as well? Thanks :)

I just moved and don't get Internet for another 2 weeks. If I can't play it, even in a broken state until I get broadband that's gonna suck poo poo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wonder why they even bother having scaling enemies if each area is clamped by like five levels. If an area is level 30-35, why even bother instead of just setting everything to a fixed 32 and calling it a day?

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

henpod posted:

Does that apply for the PS4 as well? Thanks :)

I just moved and don't get Internet for another 2 weeks. If I can't play it, even in a broken state until I get broadband that's gonna suck poo poo.

Oh, no, PC only I believe.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wanted a pip boy edition so my daughter could play with it. She loves the fallout 3 bobble head and likes making the head bounce.

think of the children

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

ymgve posted:

I wonder why they even bother having scaling enemies if each area is clamped by like five levels. If an area is level 30-35, why even bother instead of just setting everything to a fixed 32 and calling it a day?

I imagine its because while they can't guarantee exactly what level the player will be when they get to certain areas, they can have a rough idea and they balance accordingly. It gives the system a bit more wiggle room to try and match the player's level, while still enforcing some areas as being more or less dangerous than others to encourage the player to come back when they're a higher level or something.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The scripted Deathclaw leaps out of the burrow, snarling and swinging its razor-sharp claws at John Fallout.

It then runs backwards, faster and faster, until it clips up the side of a building and flies off into space.

The scripted Deathclaw leaps out of the burrow, snarling and swinging its arms outstretched in a classic T-pose at John Fallout.

It drifts towards him and destroys him in one hit. John Fallout's ragdoll launches sixty miles into the air, limbs stretching into infinity.

Before the screen fades to black, QUEST FAILED: MOLERAT TIT HARVEST shows up on screen. His ragdoll lands next to an NPC. They comment about the weather.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I played a grand total of like 10 minutes of Fallout 3 due to having played way too much Oblivion before and developed an extreme allergy to potato faces and the 4 whole voice actors.

Will I be able to play Fallout 4? Y/N?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

N.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

henpod posted:

Best deal I can find is Funstockdigital.co.uk using this coupon: OCT-COUPMAIL-PRE25, comes to £29.24 or ~$44.

I imagine since that's an October newsletter coupon it'll only be valid for the next day or so.

e: Crap didn't realise you said PS4

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 30, 2015

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Gildiss posted:

So I played a grand total of like 10 minutes of Fallout 3 due to having played way too much Oblivion before and developed an extreme allergy to potato faces and the 4 whole voice actors.

Will I be able to play Fallout 4? Y/N?

HATE THIS QUESTION

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I play Bethesda games because they are fun but broken just enough to be hilarious.

In Skyrim there is a Paralyze spell that just freezes the enemy at that exact point of animation and makes them fall over like a statue. Very fun all around.
Enemies can do power attacks like the player and the 1H sword side attack makes them spin around. If you cast Paralyze at just the right moment, their feel clip into the ground while spinning and are launched into the hair like some magical bandit helicopter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Seashell Salesman posted:

Who are coke ads targeting? I don't really know but, much like coke itself, they are everywhere.

That's what the current Fallout 4 ads are for. Thursday Night Football last night had a few Fallout 4 ads and it's basically just saying "hey this series you like has a new game on the 10th, buy it!"

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I saw a mirelurk the other day. Horrible little creatures. I avoid them whenever I can.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seen any elves lately?

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
You like to dance close to the fire don't you friend?

On-topic I wonder if there will be any geckos or if they're just not indigenous to Massachusetts or really the east coast in general. Ah well, it'll be cool to see what became of Cambridge in Fallout Land.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Inverness posted:

They've supposedly been finished with the game since E3 and used the time to bugfix and optimize.

I'm doubtful that they're hiding bad things. When companies want to hide bad things they generate hype with excessive marketing and highly tailored gameplay videos.

I think they're confident and are just waiting for the floodgates to unleash on launch day.

This is why it's gonna be hilarious when half the quests break because of bad triggers or the npc took a nap in the witch house.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NT Plus posted:

You like to dance close to the fire don't you friend?

On-topic I wonder if there will be any geckos or if they're just not indigenous to Massachusetts or really the east coast in general. Ah well, it'll be cool to see what became of Cambridge in Fallout Land.

Bethesda has never let logic or world building get in the way of making sure "that thing I recognize from the other game!" is featured.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So then how many Diamond City guards do you think have taken an arrow to the knee?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I used to be a deathclaw but then I took a bobblehead to the knee

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
HATE KNEES

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
It's going to be a long time before this gets old.

Also, it should be HATE MARRIAGE.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'll be disappointed if there's not a proper race of underground mole people this time around. I'll be further disappointed if they're not called "The Moletariat".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

HATE GEOMETRY *sinks into ground, never to return*

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
...So people are getting the game now, does that mean we might start seeing streams pop up soon? I remember there were a bunch when Fallout 3 was nearing launch.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

greatBigJerk posted:

...So people are getting the game now, does that mean we might start seeing streams pop up soon? I remember there were a bunch when Fallout 3 was nearing launch.

Probably not on Twitch but maybe other places.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I watched a Fallout 3 stream when the game was coming out and ended up regretting it

time to not repeat my mistake

The only thing I really want to know in advance is if a high charisma playthrough with 2 companions is fun or if the companions are just boring extra guns on your side that just gently caress everything up (like they usually are)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Minorkos posted:

I watched a Fallout 3 stream when the game was coming out and ended up regretting it

time to not repeat my mistake.
Yeah I'm not really interested in watching streams either, I'd rather be playing and discovering things for myself. Plus watching some clueless airhead try and show off the game is usually akin to trying to watch an idiot shove a square peg through a round hole.

I don't mind some additional details or info being leaked or released, maybe some screenshots of additional locations, but I don't want the whole ge shown off.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

With the new SPECIAL system, it looks like you might as well dump agility, perception and endurance if you don't care about having health or using VATS. I'm planning on playing the game as a pseudo-realistic shooter with minimal health and no VATS, so I might as well put all my points into charisma or something. It could be a fun experience to be just as frail as the enemy, but have 2 companions helping you out at all times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My understanding is Action Points also play into sprinting (how many points you have is Agility and how fast they run out is Endurance). Also Perception is important for avoiding explosive and breaking locks, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always used to put the combat difficulty down to Very Easy but as a balancer take my endurance down to 2.

• Locked thread