Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Care to explain then?

Quiet wasn't going to "individually stalk DD soldiers and cut out their tongues." She recognized that that one soldier had the parasite and proceed to cut out his tongue to prevent him from infecting others.

Quiet refused to communicate in any form whatsoever because even writing something down would lead to further interrogation. It was best for her to not communicate at all. Her mission was to spread the English strain, and she was conflicted between her mission and her love for Big Boss.

Again, the game stresses the importance of spoken language. Restrict the ability to speak a language, and that language, along with the culture, will die. Cipher's original plan with the parasites was to kill off every language but English. When they scrapped that plan, Skull Face resurrected the plan in order to eliminate English. Written language and sign language do exist, but they can not sustain that language.

Quiet getting hit by the mortar is just a result of any character in action movies/games/shows recovering super fast from mortal injuries for the sake of storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Care to explain then?

I think the point was to destroy English as a primary language. Get the world to emphasize other languages, allow other cultures to breathe easier.

It's not a good plan.

e: f,b

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

bman in 2288 posted:

It's not a good plan.

Yeah this. If I was supposed to be terrified of the idea that my native language would be wiped out, then maybe something is wrong with me because I don't care. I'd learn another language if I wasn't already dead.

And I don't agree that language and culture are that tightly bound. I agree that if English was destroyed our culture would change but it wouldn't get rid of things like racism and capitalism and oppression. It wouldn't necessarily make us "better". It's a stupid spiteful plan.

And I don't give the tank shell/dehydration thing a pass because "action movie trope". It's really frustrating how the MGS games go out of their way to not insult the player's intelligence in some ways and then seem to go out of their way to do it in other ways.

I mean like during Quiet's cyborg ninja cutscene at the end, she pulls the pin on a grenade, shoves a dude into a trailer full of people, it explodes, and NOBODY DIES. The place goes up in flames but all the soldiers are unharmed and still standing around shooting. It's dumb little insulting poo poo like that that gets under my skin.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you're really underestimating how language shapes people and ideas tbh

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Skull Face's plan is crazy because he's a lunatic skeleton mummy man who lives for drama. That's why he's so loveable.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah this. If I was supposed to be terrified of the idea that my native language would be wiped out, then maybe something is wrong with me because I don't care. I'd learn another language if I wasn't already dead.

You're straying into "I'd kill all the zombies with my trusty hanzo steel" territory.

But yes, Skull Face is an insane man with teenage angst and that's part of his charm.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Learning another language is pretty hard. It'd be even harder if you knew you couldn't ever speak or hear another word of your native tongue.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I know they said they can't remove the pieces of metal stuck in Venom's forehead, but can't they uhhh file it down or something? That horn is bound to get snagged on stuff, clink against things and make noise, set off metal detectors like crazy, etc.

How okay is Venom with being Snake's body double? In a lot of plots that have this kind of twist, they reveal how the original person volunteered for the whole thing (Total Recall). But Venom doesn't seem to have much say; he wakes up from a Coma, everyone tells him he's Big Boss and at some point he remembers what really happened.

Would Miller be able to control the gasmask kid? When you fight Sehalanthropus, Miller is not too far away; and the whole shooting off Skullface's arm and leg in a rage would have triggered something I imagine.

I bet Huey killing Skullface in revenge was more an act than anything, to cover Huey and make it look like he suffered as much as everybody else and was 'helping'. Sure Skullface was a bully that pushed Huey down the stairs and probably gave him lots of swirlies and wet willies to get him to do his drat job, but aside from that if for whatever reason Miller, Venom and co. might have whatever reasons to keep Skullface alive and interrogate him, which would definitely implicate Huey. I'm sure XOF and Skullface knew a ton of dirt on Huey and if Skullface ever squealed Huey would get turned to flotsam.

How exactly did Huey manage to re-engineer the parasites? I thought he was robot guy. How would he even have clearance/access to the quarantine platform?

Code Talker explains how the parasites are able to make armor and mist around the skulls. I'm assuming invisibility was some kind of light bending business. What about making guns materialize out of nowhere?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I gave it some more thought and yeah it's probably because I'm privileged as gently caress and already speak 2 other languages semi-conversationally and would probably be shielded in more than one way against the effects of English going away. :shobon:

Ok so next question: why did Quiet let herself get captured and tortured in the first place?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I gave it some more thought and yeah it's probably because I'm privileged as gently caress and already speak 2 other languages semi-conversationally and would probably be shielded in more than one way against the effects of English going away. :shobon:

Ok so next question: why did Quiet let herself get captured and tortured in the first place?

Maybe because Miller was never going to trust her and she didn't want to risk getting vivisected if they ever eventually found out she carried the English strain and could also speak?

Wouldn't her talking over the radio kill Pequod? That's what I wanna know.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I know they said they can't remove the pieces of metal stuck in Venom's forehead, but can't they uhhh file it down or something? That horn is bound to get snagged on stuff, clink against things and make noise, set off metal detectors like crazy, etc.

How okay is Venom with being Snake's body double? In a lot of plots that have this kind of twist, they reveal how the original person volunteered for the whole thing (Total Recall). But Venom doesn't seem to have much say; he wakes up from a Coma, everyone tells him he's Big Boss and at some point he remembers what really happened.

Would Miller be able to control the gasmask kid? When you fight Sehalanthropus, Miller is not too far away; and the whole shooting off Skullface's arm and leg in a rage would have triggered something I imagine.

I bet Huey killing Skullface in revenge was more an act than anything, to cover Huey and make it look like he suffered as much as everybody else and was 'helping'. Sure Skullface was a bully that pushed Huey down the stairs and probably gave him lots of swirlies and wet willies to get him to do his drat job, but aside from that if for whatever reason Miller, Venom and co. might have whatever reasons to keep Skullface alive and interrogate him, which would definitely implicate Huey. I'm sure XOF and Skullface knew a ton of dirt on Huey and if Skullface ever squealed Huey would get turned to flotsam.

How exactly did Huey manage to re-engineer the parasites? I thought he was robot guy. How would he even have clearance/access to the quarantine platform?

Code Talker explains how the parasites are able to make armor and mist around the skulls. I'm assuming invisibility was some kind of light bending business. What about making guns materialize out of nowhere?

In order:

It's symbolic

Make your own decisions about your own character motivations

Theoretically, but he never does during the game

Yeah that's pretty much why Huey kills him

It was accidental, a mutation caused by exposure to radiation

Metallic archaea

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Panfilo posted:

Venom's horn is actually a fragment of one of Paz's bones from the explosion that killed her. I assume touching it or trying to mess with it would really gently caress up Venom's brain even more.

It's up to interpretation how much Venom is ok with being a fake Big Boss. Nothing is ever directly stated, so it's whatever you believe.

Huey didn't re-engineer the parasites, he installed something over in the quarantine unit that was radioactive, which mutated the parasites. I don't remember how he had the thing installed, I think he had someone install it and he said it'd be useful for the quarantine unit or something.

Panfilo posted:

Maybe because Miller was never going to trust her and she didn't want to risk getting vivisected if they ever eventually found out she carried the English strain and could also speak?

Why would it kill Pequod? She activated her parasites, sure, but it's not like they can jump into the radio and transmit themselves over radio waves to the pilot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

ChaosArgate posted:

Why would it kill Pequod? She activated her parasites, sure, but it's not like they can jump into the radio and transmit themselves over radio waves to the pilot.

They said the parasite eggs spread easily through coughing, like catching a cold. Lots, if not everybody, could have parasites in their vocal chords just waiting to be activated and spread.

Code Talker implied that there was no way for sure whether people had parasites, only if they were symptomatic. I assumed if Quiet talked, even over the radio, to Pequod, it would activate parasites he might have had in his body and potentially kill him/spread them.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Panfilo posted:

They said the parasite eggs spread easily through coughing, like catching a cold. Lots, if not everybody, could have parasites in their vocal chords just waiting to be activated and spread.

Code Talker implied that there was no way for sure whether people had parasites, only if they were symptomatic. I assumed if Quiet talked, even over the radio, to Pequod, it would activate parasites he might have had in his body and potentially kill him/spread them.

You see major characters in quarantine zones without proper protection all the time. You only get affected if the plot requires it, whether or not the character is careful. It doesn't really matter, ya know.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Panfilo posted:

The only way for an outside force to activate the parasites is if you cut a hole in their throat and put a speaker next to their vocal cords, and besides Quiet is the only one with the English strain which hasn't produced eggs until possibly that moment she started talking so there's no way for anyone to be infected with it

AsteriskAsterisk
Sep 18, 2010
Edit: whoops quoted the wrong person. Meant to replay to Panfilo's question about Pequod being killed

Everyone on Mother Base was potentially infected, so everyone underwent the Wolbachia treatment, so even if Pequod's pilot was infected, he'd be okay for the time being. But as someone else pointed out, Quiet probably wasn't infectious yet, since that was the first times since being infected she'd spoken English.

AsteriskAsterisk fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 30, 2015

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Only Quiet had the English strain, so Pequod ought to be fine. That Venom doesn't contract the English strain is what gets me, but maybe there's an incubation time

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The second outbreak only happened because Huey intentionally exposed the Kikongo parasites to gamma rays in a halfassed attempt to create a cure for the parasites, so that he could sell them both to the patriots.

setafd posted:

Only Quiet had the English strain, so Pequod ought to be fine. That Venom doesn't contract the English strain is what gets me, but maybe there's an incubation time

yeah it probably takes a few minutes for the parasites to hatch and then start spreading.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Panfilo posted:

You have it backwards. HEARING the language doesn't do anything, SPEAKING it when you have matching parasites already in your neck does. So Quiet was only dooming herself (and arguably Venom if he already had English parasites, which he could have)

AsteriskAsterisk
Sep 18, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

The second outbreak only happened because Huey intentionally exposed the Kikongo parasites to gamma rays in a halfassed attempt to create a cure for the parasites, so that he could sell them both to the patriots.

Yeah, but the fact that the parasites are living things that can mutate aside from their selective genetic manipulation made everyone very wary about the potential for the parasites to do something they didn't plan or expect. The radiation caused the parasites to begin breeding without language even being spoken, which was very troubling to everyone because that means there's a possibility that could happen anyway, however remote.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

setafd posted:

he vapes too much to be infected, Code Talker explains it when you get him

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

JoshTheStampede posted:

You have it backwards. HEARING the language doesn't do anything, SPEAKING it when you have matching parasites already in your neck does. So Quiet was only dooming herself (and arguably Venom if he already had English parasites, which he could have)
Oh. But I assume Quiet wouldve been inoculated with Wolbachia like everyone else?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Panfilo posted:

Oh. But I assume Quiet wouldve been inoculated with Wolbachia like everyone else?

I assume that wouldn't affect the parasites already in her?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Panfilo posted:

No, because it would've killed the parasites keeping her alive... I think?

Venom would've been Wolbachia treated too. The whole reason the quarantine platform got infected after Wolbachia was because Huey screwed with their X-ray machine.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did the wolbachia work on a strain by strain basis? At the time of the characters learning of the parasites, they knew that Cipher was working on strains for every major language except for English, so they weren't even considering that an English strain was engineered.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
When Snake vapes on the phantom cigars, what is happening in real time? Do people see him puffing on the cigars in super slow motion? Is he just :okpos: the whole time while everyone goes on their business?

What was the significance of butterflies in the game? Butterfly emblem was connected to Quiet, her guns were nicknamed sinful/guilty/etc butterfly, the last photo you give to Paz is a Blue Morpho butterfly.

I didn't like that you don't really get to interact much with any of the characters on Mother Base. You only get to mess with Ocelot near the beginning. Miller gets rescued at the beginning then only shows up during cutscenes. Huey is conveniently placed out of strangling range. Code Talker magically spawns as you are flying away from the command platform in the helicopter. Really it's just perving on Quiet while she takes showers and sunbathes. I guess I'm spoiled on games that let you directly interact with characters more to advance the story. Here it seems to be done in tapes; I assume this was chosen because it was faster/cheaper for the developers?

AsteriskAsterisk
Sep 18, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did the wolbachia work on a strain by strain basis? At the time of the characters learning of the parasites, they knew that Cipher was working on strains for every major language except for English, so they weren't even considering that an English strain was engineered.

They were strain agnostic, but being infected with a second strain would mean that it could be active, because you couldn't treat with more Wolbachia, if I'm remembering correctly. The Wolbachia just causes one of the pair of the target strain to become female, stopping them from breeding, but I think adding another Wolbachia would mean that the Wolbachia strain would breed? There was so much info I'm not sure I've got this right.

Edit: actually thinking about it, I don't think I'm right. One of the reasons the second outbreak was so alarming and confusing for everyone is that both the doctors and inspection team should have all been fine if it were the parasites acting normally, because they'd already undergone the Wolbachia treatment. I'm also still not sure about whether the Wolbachia target specific strains, since the only one to affect Mother Base was the Kikongo one, even in the second outbreak with mutated parasites.

AsteriskAsterisk fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 30, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Quiet refused the wolbachia treatment at first because she hadn't discounted the idea of setting off the English strain on Mother Base. By the time she decided not to, she had already seen that the wolbachia treatment wasn't perfect because of wildcards like radiation and attempted death by cop soviets.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

zedprime posted:

Quiet refused the wolbachia treatment at first because she hadn't discounted the idea of setting off the English strain on Mother Base. By the time she decided not to, she had already seen that the wolbachia treatment wasn't perfect because of wildcards like radiation and attempted death by cop soviets.

no, she couldn't have the wolbachia because the parasites are the only thing that keeps her alive. They don't really explain much about Quiet or the skulls, but I'm pretty certain the parasites that let her breath through her skin require the ability to reproduce to function the way they do.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Panfilo posted:

Here it seems to be done in tapes; I assume this was chosen because it was faster/cheaper for the developers?

That, and the hours of hands-off cutscenes prior MGS games were known for didn't really mesh well with an open world game where you can do stuff out of order.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Yeah it's symbolic.

However you feel about it since V and the player are supposed to be one and the same.

Only through his LUST FOR REVENGE. Otherwise no. Young Psycho Mantis can do whatever the heck he wants apparently. What I want to know is how Skull Face managed to get him under some semblance of control.

It was probably partly an act but Skull Face treated him like poo poo and basically enslaved him. There was definitely some revenge to it but yeah it was also probably partly to shut him up in case he lived somehow and had dirt to share. I still have no idea what's true and what isn't with Huey. He was a decent guy in Peace Walker but I guess he turned into an abusive dad and killed Strangelove with no motive ever mentioned. I still believe that he thought agreeing to the inspection in GZ was a good idea and didn't know the inspectors were Skull Face's Cipher.

He's a scientist and apparently knows stuff about biology too. Maybe he had a conversation with Code Talker to find out that mutations happen via radiation. What Huey did was modify the parasite scanners to emit beta rays in addition to x-rays. The beta rays are unnecessary for detecting parasites but can mutate them. Huey likely did this intentionally so that he could trade this information to Cipher in exchange for getting Hal back.

I assumed that the guns appearing out of thin air was V hallucinating.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the number one clue that Venom isn't Big Boss is that he smokes an e-cigar

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Guns out of nowhere was wormhole technology.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Regarding Kaz and the whole "played like a drat fiddle" thing, could there be a connection with the only other character that used a similar phrase? Drebin says something like "Played like a drat violin" at the end of MGS4. Drebin profits off of war and conflict and so does Kaz. Could Kaz and Drebin be related or maybe even be the same person? And what about Drebin's monkey, Little Gray?

Also the name Drebin? There must be a connection to Frank Drebin of Police Squad and Naked Gun fame. Consider the change in attitude of "Movie" Frank Drebin and "TV" Frank Drebin and what it could say about Kaz and how he behaves so differently in this game compared to PW. What if Kaz left Diamond Dogs and took D-Dog with him but turned him into Little Gray and also he had surgery to become a black man and yelled so much that his voice changed permanently?

Then there's Drebin's number - 893. What happened in the year 893?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/893
Council of Preslav: The Byzantine clergy is expelled from Bulgaria, and the Greek language is replaced with Old Bulgarian (also known as Old Church Slavonic) as an official language.

LANGUAGE!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

Guns out of nowhere was wormhole technology.

Good point! I hadn't thought of that. I still want to know what's up with that. I'm normally ok with crazy advanced tech in MGS games but how the hell did this get lost and un-recovered between MGS5 and MG1?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Famitsu stream about MGS V today supposedly revealed there's a new guide coming out which lists 65 missions.

Do with that info what you will.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Famitsu stream about MGS V today supposedly revealed there's a new guide coming out which lists 65 missions.

Do with that info what you will.

I guarantee it includes side ops and rare animals.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The original guide does that, albeit poorly for the animals.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I assume the original guide also covers all the missions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah it's symbolic.

However you feel about it since V and the player are supposed to be one and the same.

Only through his LUST FOR REVENGE. Otherwise no. Young Psycho Mantis can do whatever the heck he wants apparently. What I want to know is how Skull Face managed to get him under some semblance of control.

It was probably partly an act but Skull Face treated him like poo poo and basically enslaved him. There was definitely some revenge to it but yeah it was also probably partly to shut him up in case he lived somehow and had dirt to share. I still have no idea what's true and what isn't with Huey. He was a decent guy in Peace Walker but I guess he turned into an abusive dad and killed Strangelove with no motive ever mentioned. I still believe that he thought agreeing to the inspection in GZ was a good idea and didn't know the inspectors were Skull Face's Cipher.

He's a scientist and apparently knows stuff about biology too. Maybe he had a conversation with Code Talker to find out that mutations happen via radiation. What Huey did was modify the parasite scanners to emit beta rays in addition to x-rays. The beta rays are unnecessary for detecting parasites but can mutate them. Huey likely did this intentionally so that he could trade this information to Cipher in exchange for getting Hal back.

I assumed that the guns appearing out of thin air was V hallucinating.

In Truth there's a bit where Venom is looking at his reflection and punches it. I was wondering if he was having some kind of identity crisis. Guess it's up to the player to decide.

I thought Baby Mantis didn't have a will of his own, he just attached to whoever had the strongest lust for vengeance. I guess Eli had it more than Miller; perhaps Millers revenge boner had softened once Skullface was dead.

• Locked thread