Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Can we blame them for the obvious fact they really really wanted the patch out before their Christmas break so they rushed it out without doing any testing on it to make sure it didn't contain any extremely obvious game-breaking bugs?

I'm not fired up or anything, looking back it was pretty funny. Would've been better to just delay the patch and do some proper QA on it, but they probably learned their lesson.

To be fair it took the community like a week to be sure it was actually happening. That bug was a weird combo of gamebreaking and difficult to notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

This city's basically Jodhnagar 2: same bad loving traffic, same high density blob right off the highway, same loving map.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Baron Porkface posted:

How does bicycling work? What is the downside of encouraging bicycling? Why isn't this documented somewhere?

No downside to encouraging biking, no upside to banning it from sidewalks. Or at least none CO has explained. Sadly a lot of the systems in the game remain totally opaque, there's just no info out there, no one knows exactly how things work so just draw roads until your city is pretty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

A lot of the stuff would probably need a bottom-up overhaul of all the systems and might need to wait for CSL 2, whenever that happens, since I think all this extra stuff would work better implemented natively.

I really can't wait for CS2, now that they know how the game might sell and might have the chance to give it a befitting budget. And taking into account the experience that they've gotten from this game's development and what worked and didn't. I think it might be absolutely spectacular.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CJacobs posted:

Eric the Mauve your bitterness at game developers is pretty sad. I don't have much to contribute to the discussion otherwise but I just felt like saying. Not every game company is Big Dev out to cut every possible corner to save time so that they don't have to pay their employees or whatever.

I have no idea what you're on about. I loathe EA and everything they stand for like any right-thinking person should, and gently caress Bethesda forever for their monetizing mods bullshit, but I love Paradox. I think there's a difference in my posts between when I'm ripping up something I hate versus when I'm making fun of something I like. So... sorry if it doesn't come through my keyboard when I'm just poking fun I guess?

fakeedit: I've been critical of design choices (loving India) in the CK2 thread so I guess maybe that's where you're getting it. But I still :love: Paradox. Nobody gets every decision right but Paradox is very much doing the "making and selling games" thing right these days.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have no idea what you're on about. I loathe EA and everything they stand for like any right-thinking person should, and gently caress Bethesda forever for their monetizing mods bullshit, but I love Paradox. I think there's a difference in my posts between when I'm ripping up something I hate versus when I'm making fun of something I like. So... sorry if it doesn't come through my keyboard when I'm just poking fun I guess?

fakeedit: I've been critical of design choices (loving India) in the CK2 thread so I guess maybe that's where you're getting it. But I still :love: Paradox. Nobody gets every decision right but Paradox is very much doing the "making and selling games" thing right these days.

Sword of the Stars 2 never forget :argh:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Sword of the Stars 2 never forget :argh:

That wasn't their fault, and they apologized for it the best they could (offered immediate and full refunds to everyone). Not paradoxes fault some people didn't take them up on that offer.

I'm guessing it's still a steaming pile of trash? Has mecron finally managed to alienate the yes-men on his forums?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

senae posted:

That wasn't their fault, and they apologized for it the best they could (offered immediate and full refunds to everyone). Not paradoxes fault some people didn't take them up on that offer.

I'm guessing it's still a steaming pile of trash? Has mecron finally managed to alienate the yes-men on his forums?

NEVER FORGET.

I don't think they ever really fixed the AI and it hasn't been updated in a long time. It's a shame as it's still got a really cool combat and design system as well as lovely graphics and depth of gameplay, it just doesn't work good.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel like my mega-prague is built out and there's different things I want to try! Like a cute farming village.

I'm actually surprised the village can support office, but I guess I spent so much time drawing the farms that they got all educated.

Plan to make a whole region full of villages and towns like this, linked by cute little trains (almost like japanese countryside)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How the gently caress many crematoriums do I need for a 75k pop city?

I'm spending more on them than I am on nearly anything else, and they're nowhere near capacity, I just can't get enough hearses out to pick up the dead.

Can I not like, build one of those pneumatic post systems but for dead people?

Or a bit compost heap you chuck your dead relatives into and it gives you a voucher for 50% off at the cinema or something?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I'm spending more on them than I am on nearly anything else, and they're nowhere near capacity, I just can't get enough hearses out to pick up the dead.

Or a bit compost heap you chuck your dead relatives into and it gives you a voucher for 50% off at the cinema or something?

You just need to spread out your crematoriums. I've never seen one running at capacity, so I like to just build one for each neighborhood for rapid pickup and delivery.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I've never found I needed too many of them. You sometimes need a rush of them during a death wave, but if you build your city more consistently rather than in huge chunks at once you can avoid death waves.
The crematorium has fewer vehicles than the graveyard for some reason despite much higher capacity. If you're just hurting on hearses you could build some cemeteries just for their transport capacity during a death wave, and have them set to empty otherwise.

The other option is to get one of the aging mods. One of them just slows down aging but it also slows down education which can make things a bit of a slog. Another randomizes when people die a little which helps prevent death waves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I feel like my mega-prague is built out and there's different things I want to try! Like a cute farming village.

I'm actually surprised the village can support office, but I guess I spent so much time drawing the farms that they got all educated.

Plan to make a whole region full of villages and towns like this, linked by cute little trains (almost like japanese countryside)

What mod gave you farms that look like farms instead of the crazy generic farming industry that comes with the base game?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=452250051
They are tricky to place. I think we'd all kill for a brush tool so we could paint concrete or farmland or what ever on the ground.

In CiM1 we could paint the ground various pavements and such, and cims would actually walk on it. I liked how pedestrians worked in CiM1. They'd take the shortest route and could even walk through some buildings, but they'd prefer to walk on sidewalks, paths, and pavement. But when a very obvious short-cut existed they'd it take. If you had a huge block of industrial buildings they'd just walk through the parking lots. They'd just go off-road and walk through the grass if absolutely needed. I mean that's how pedestrians work, they aren't fixed to paths like trains or (non russian) cars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You just need to spread out your crematoriums. I've never seen one running at capacity, so I like to just build one for each neighborhood for rapid pickup and delivery.

I put a crematorium next to each elementary school.

I've still got dead people everywhere.

Besides, doing an industry-heavy city has kind of murdered my framerate because there is so much traffic so I'll retire this one. Looks kind of fun though:

I like best how the industrial area turned out, being on the peninsula and having the highway run over it, I couldn't fit it into the grid, so I just elevated the highway and rail lines and built a 2 lane grid under the to fill the peninsula, it came out looking more realistic than most of my cities.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I put a crematorium next to each elementary school.

I fear for those kids.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Badger of Basra posted:

I fear for those kids.

Serves them right for going to school rather than work on the poor understaffed farms. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

I fear for those kids.

In my defence it used to be a school, a fire station, and a police station but I centralised the police stations so I replaced them with crematoriums because that was becoming the bigger problem.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Haven't had to worry about problems with distributed mass die-offs, which is good—I do strongly recommend zoning residential in smaller chunks. Here's some more shots of the city.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The OP hasn't been updated in a while and I also haven't played in a while. Anyone having a good list of must-have mods for this game? I'm not talking buildings, I'm more referring to the gameplay/interface department.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

The OP hasn't been updated in a while and I also haven't played in a while. Anyone having a good list of must-have mods for this game? I'm not talking buildings, I'm more referring to the gameplay/interface department.

Honestly? The game's perfectly playable now without gameplay mods, so I've got nothing to recommend. I'm sure there's some enhancements out there but I haven't been hurting enough to look. Although...

Lighting control seems interesting, but it's currently missing the features you'd probably want out of it.
Dropouts also looks very interesting, since not everyone can make it all the way through school for one reason or another irl.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Been working on my largest city I've ever built, I'm up to 95,000 cims now, and I'm going to be mainly building small outlier villages from here on out:

A rural highway:

A major train terminal. Passengers from the airport, the northern most block of the city and the south residential areas come through this station. I need to get a picture of my circular rail ring around the northern most sectors of the city, as it's shifting ~2000 passengers a week.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dred_furst posted:

Been working on my largest city I've ever built, I'm up to 95,000 cims now, and I'm going to be mainly building small outlier villages from here on out:

A rural highway:

A major train terminal. Passengers from the airport, the northern most block of the city and the south residential areas come through this station. I need to get a picture of my circular rail ring around the northern most sectors of the city, as it's shifting ~2000 passengers a week.

Did you have any problems using that station? If it's the elevated one I'm thinking of, my tracks would try to go down to the ground before coming back up again. I thought it was weird since the other elevated stations work fine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Police Automaton posted:

I'll just list my collection, separate in “stuff that should probably be in the game”…

All 25 areas purchasable
Auto Line Color
Automatic Bulldoze
City Vitals Watch
Extended Building Information
Extended Public Transport UI
Extra Landscaping Tools (or at a minimum TreeBrush
Fine Road Heights
Info View Button Enabler
NoPillars
Pause on load
Precision Engineering
Traffic Manager + Improved AI or Traffic++ depending on preferred complexity/micro management level.
Traffic Report Tool

…and “stuff that's more fun or fixes small irritations.”

Cimtographer
Dropouts (less necessary now when the “School's out” policy exists).
Early Death + Skylines Overwatch
Enhanced Zoom
European Buildings Unlocker
Infinite Oil And Ore
Mod Achievement Enabler

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Tram station plowing through an older neighbourhood. Very popular station due to the metro stop.

Do you have a medical clinic to deal with the broken limbs from people falling down the walking path from the train station?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

reminds me of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_University_Bridge

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there any mods that grant slums? Medium to high density residential, super low income/education/services, chaotic looking.

Its not really in the feel of the game but its a huge part of many cities in the world. In a similar vein would be refugee camps.

The Kowloon Walled City would be loving awesome too, as a slum-tower.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Noyemi K posted:

Dropouts also looks very interesting, since not everyone can make it all the way through school for one reason or another irl.

What's up with that not being in the base game? It's like nobody ever crunched any numbers. Just the same with the death thing, so easy to implement when you're already writing the game, should've been in there from the get go.

Tippis posted:

I'll just list my collection, separate in “stuff that should probably be in the game”…

Man especially that mod for public transport adds a lot to the game that quite honestly should've been there from the beginning.

Advanced Vehicle Options (AVO) is a gem I found browsing for mods. This lets you disable vehicles already in the game so that only vehicles you modded in spawn. You can also tweak vehicle properties. Careful with the settings though, it's of course entirely possible to break the game this way.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Count Roland posted:

It'd be awesome with a cyberpunk mod too. Teeth. Thousands of teeth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Count Roland posted:

Are there any mods that grant slums? Medium to high density residential, super low income/education/services, chaotic looking.

Its not really in the feel of the game but its a huge part of many cities in the world. In a similar vein would be refugee camps.

Control building level up mod.
Set a district to not allow anything over level 1 or 2 and you'll get some fairly low-income looking buildings.
And/Or get the themes mod, download some slummy buildings, then put them all in a theme and set the district to only allow that theme.
Also get the building eyedropping tool mod. It lets you press "t" on a building then plop that building anywhere else. So if you're making a big apartment district you can plop the same building over and over to look like a big "project". Then use control building level up to lock them in place.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Been playing on a more restricted map with lots of crag and elevation fuckery. It's... very fun, actually.

General town:

Suburban hellscape of conformity:

What it looks like... After Dark :smug:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Okay. These rail trench assets looked really nice in the workshop, but bloody hell they're hard to use with stations.

gman14msu
Mar 10, 2009
Is there a mod that opens up all 25 tiles from the start of a game rather than having to reach the milestones?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

gman14msu posted:

Is there a mod that opens up all 25 tiles from the start of a game rather than having to reach the milestones?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=425057208

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Police Automaton posted:

Advanced Vehicle Options (AVO) is a gem I found browsing for mods. This lets you disable vehicles already in the game so that only vehicles you modded in spawn. You can also tweak vehicle properties. Careful with the settings though, it's of course entirely possible to break the game this way.
AVO is great because it lets me build little train layouts with precisely the trains I want to run :3:

Like the Finnish Tk3 (workshop)

and the DB Class 52, which was running backwards in this shot for some reason. (workshop)

It's a pity that vehicles aren't actually animated, because it'd be the tightest poo poo if the steam locomotives could have moving parts, the few horse-and-buggy vehicles that have been made could include moving horses, propeller airplanes could at least have props on and off for when they're stationary and moving, etc.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 1, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

More innovative roundabout interchanges.

The business district skyline from the old town.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 1, 2015

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I really should get around to taking more screenshots.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

More work on my other new town. Skills I learned from the restricted map helped me develop a more or less fairly efficient road hierarchy for getting citizens around:

Daytime view of Tanunjon's pride and joy, the Tanunjon Nuclear Energy Facility

Tanunjon from the TNEF at night

Munundon special ward, peering over to Roya on the horizon.

Downtown Roya, down its main artery. The Ring Road makes it much easier to get from one part of the city to another, particularly by bus.

I also employ a downtown ring-line for even faster transit, provided citizens can afford the train for their commute!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Ofaloaf posted:

It's a pity that vehicles aren't actually animated, because it'd be the tightest poo poo if the steam locomotives could have moving parts, the few horse-and-buggy vehicles that have been made could include moving horses, propeller airplanes could at least have props on and off for when they're stationary and moving, etc.

I love logistics stuff and it's really a pity it's all only very superficial in skylines. I mostly have thrown in lots of custom cars and trucks and disabled the defaults, it makes traffic a lot more interesting-looking. You really have to be careful that the models aren't too high-res though. With all these life-improvement mods I'm all in love again and I'll spring for the DLC, even though I highly doubt tourism itself is worth it.

How do you people make all the fancy highways without throwing your mouse in rage at the screen though? I tried to make a simple pass go over to the other side of a highway (I even have precision engineer installed) and ~40.000 bucks later I got nothin'. Felt very realistic, just like a real government project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Police Automaton posted:

I love logistics stuff and it's really a pity it's all only very superficial in skylines. I mostly have thrown in lots of custom cars and trucks and disabled the defaults, it makes traffic a lot more interesting-looking. You really have to be careful that the models aren't too high-res though. With all these life-improvement mods I'm all in love again and I'll spring for the DLC, even though I highly doubt tourism itself is worth it.

How do you people make all the fancy highways without throwing your mouse in rage at the screen though? I tried to make a simple pass go over to the other side of a highway (I even have precision engineer installed) and ~40.000 bucks later I got nothin'. Felt very realistic, just like a real government project.

If you pause the game when building roads, you can get a full refund if you bulldoze them. Between that fact, precision engineering, fine road heights, and no pillars, you have pretty much all the tools you need for highway building (except the patience to endure loving up over and over and over again).

Here's an intersection I'm mildly proud of, although it still needs some work: