Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

catlord posted:

I have $5.62 in Steam cash, is there anything I should really be keeping an eye out for in this sale?

Also, I finished up Metro 2033 Redux and Afterfall: Insanity. Both pretty decent post-apocalyptic horror, Afterfall isn't on Steam right now because I guess there's some poo poo going on with the publisher and Epic. Afterfall also goes pretty nuts for the last couple chapters. If it ever pops back up, maybe give it a look if you catch it on sale.

Have you played Metro Last Light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Last page there was some Fatal Frame chat

Fatal Frame 2 is by FAR the easiest of the PS2 FF games. It's piss easy compared to 1 and a fair bit more forgiving than 3, since you take next to no damage on normal difficulty. Only insta-death kills you and those sections are thrilling, FF2 relies entirely on crafting a really bleak and dreary atmosphere, and the slow, methodical reveal of all of the grisly rituals that took place.

It's a game where a lot of the horror is in the background rather than the foreground. This is often the case in FF games and J-horror in general, but the other games DID try and throw a few more jump scares at you or other sort of things to shock you up. FF2 does this as well, but you actually have to find the scares. One of the best little "AH!" moments in the game is totally unremarkable--if you point your camera out a seemingly random window, a ghost pops up briefly, giving you a chance to make points but most likely just scaring the crap outta you.

Fatal Frame 3 is the scariest of the bunch, and it has the best gameplay. Consider FF2 a kind of tutorial/warm-up for the series as a whole. It's fantastic at establishing the basic camera gameplay, but is much easier and more forgiving than the first game, making it ideal for beginners.

FF1 had some bullshit rear end in a top hat ghosts.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How is The Cat Lady?

Pretty good in terms of art and story if you don't think about it too much, it deals with ideas of depression, suicide, and all that fun stuff. Mechanically speaking it is can be a pain in the rear end, and there are some pretty dumb/annoying parts to balance out the cool surreal ones.

I did an LP of it on the Archive if you are interested in just the story but I would still recommend it if you want to play it yourself

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is the newest WiiU Fatal Frame worth it? I don't give a single gently caress about bikinis and never used those kinds of costumes in the other games either. Just want to know if the gameplay is fun or not and how the atmosphere is.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MinibarMatchman posted:

Think I'm gonna get Lakeview Cabin, looks way too unique to ignore plus it's on discount.

I like Lakeview Cabin's "beat it or don't" approach to the levels. Like in a really bleak horror movie, all the main characters can just die in gory and stupid ways either by the killers or their own hands. In the end it doesn't matter and you can just restart. Then once you've gotten a feel for how a level "works" you can puzzle out the proper way to get the good ending where at least most of your victims get away and maybe a few killers are killed.

And no levels are gated behind beating previous levels, you can just stop playing one and move on to the next "movie". I haven't really played it too much but I like all the little details and the game's a lot deeper than it appears on the surface. It kind of reminds me of a nice mix of River City Ransom (picking up objects and swinging them, the art style), Maniac Mansion (multiple teens, solving puzzles with objects and avoiding antagonists) and the Friday the 13th game (keeping everyone alive and fending off the killer).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Okay, I thought the costume censorship controversy in Fatal Frame 5 was just dumb nerds complaining they can't fap to girls in bikinis, but I just find out one of those bikinis is meant to be worn in a flashback in the story, where a girl does modelling and feels so disgusted and ashamed by it that she commits suicide. In the localized version, she's just wearing normal clothes but still feels ashamed and skeevy for... not showing any skin?

Kind of ruins the immersion. I still think the whining is caused by nerds wanting fapbait, but I don't think they needed to alter that scene where you're pretty clearly meant to be uncomfortable either.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fatal Frame 2 is by FAR the easiest of the PS2 FF games. It's piss easy compared to 1 and a fair bit more forgiving than 3, since you take next to no damage on normal difficulty. Only insta-death kills you and those sections are thrilling, FF2 relies entirely on crafting a really bleak and dreary atmosphere, and the slow, methodical reveal of all of the grisly rituals that took place.

It's a game where a lot of the horror is in the background rather than the foreground. This is often the case in FF games and J-horror in general, but the other games DID try and throw a few more jump scares at you or other sort of things to shock you up. FF2 does this as well, but you actually have to find the scares. One of the best little "AH!" moments in the game is totally unremarkable--if you point your camera out a seemingly random window, a ghost pops up briefly, giving you a chance to make points but most likely just scaring the crap outta you.

Fatal Frame 3 is the scariest of the bunch, and it has the best gameplay. Consider FF2 a kind of tutorial/warm-up for the series as a whole. It's fantastic at establishing the basic camera gameplay, but is much easier and more forgiving than the first game, making it ideal for beginners.

I like to think of Fatal Frame 2 as the Resident Evil 2 of the series. It has much more combat, the ghosts were prone to attacking you at once when that only happened like twice in the first game, the camera mechanics are simplified, you now have unlimited amounts of the weakest film and you had a fairly open village environment to explore instead of an oppressive mansion which changes subtly every so often that the first game had, like doors that were locked are now unlocked, stairs now being repaired etc. Also you had a character follow you for a lot of 2 who could distract ghosts, kind of like how Claire could use Sherry to distract zombies if you were an rear end in a top hat.

2's probably the more playable game but I think 1 is the better experience.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

ZearothK posted:

It is worth noting that Pathologic was originally a tabletop RPG campaign, then was made into a theater play and finally became a computer game, which makes perfect sense given the game we received.

Is the sourcebook for that in English?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im gonna play SOMA on Halloween night. Better be good

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Skyscraper posted:

Is the sourcebook for that in English?

I think it was just the developers private, homebrewed tabletop RPG campaign but during the Kickstarter for the remake, they did offer a fully published tabletop game as one of the backer rewards.

http://tabletop.pathologic-game.com/en/

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think it was just the developers private, homebrewed tabletop RPG campaign but during the Kickstarter for the remake, they did offer a fully published tabletop game as one of the backer rewards.

http://tabletop.pathologic-game.com/en/

Cool, thanks!

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I wanted to get SOMA this weekend but I can't afford it, so I'm stuck with replaying the first two Twilight Syndromes, Moonlight Syndrome, and Yuuyami Doori. I love those games to death but drat I could use a decent computer or just money for SOMA/RE1.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

NeilPerry posted:

I wanted to get SOMA this weekend but I can't afford it, so I'm stuck with replaying the first two Twilight Syndromes, Moonlight Syndrome, and Yuuyami Doori. I love those games to death but drat I could use a decent computer or just money for SOMA/RE1.

Do you have a current Gen console of any sort? Because you really can finish SOMA in a single night if you rent it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Have you played Metro Last Light?

I have not. I considered picking up both when they were on sale, but decided to just go with 2033.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

catlord posted:

I have not. I considered picking up both when they were on sale, but decided to just go with 2033.

They're similar but different. Last Light is slightly more hopeful, slightly, and has fewer ambiguities like the weird ghost stuff. (Though there's at least one area that I think still has ghost stuff).

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

ZearothK posted:

It is worth noting that Pathologic was originally a tabletop RPG campaign, then was made into a theater play and finally became a computer game, which makes perfect sense given the game we received.

Wait what? Is there a script for this? Youtube videos of russian high school students putting it on?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Do you have a current Gen console of any sort? Because you really can finish SOMA in a single night if you rent it

SOMA didn't physically come out here. It's only on PSN. Not to mention stores don't rent out games here.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ZearothK posted:

Ah that makes sense. MAJOR SPOILERS HOLY poo poo It explains a whole lot. Especially with the ending, which was really loving crazy and meta (even for that game).

Does knock-knock ever explain what's going on in some like hidden bits I never found?

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm playing SOMA now, and I'm just having a hell of a time, to my own surprise. Always found Frictional's writing kind of.. amateurish, fanfiction-feeling. But I'm hooked on this weird story about robots in a big way and can't wait to see what happens next. The characters, ironically, seem very human, compared to Penumbra and Amnesia. And they're working towards a real positive goal, not just wandering up Satan's rear end in a top hat because there's nowhere else to go. There's a neat theme going on, and it informs the visual aesthetic and ties into the choices you make in-game, limited as they might be. It's a shame the game isn't higher-budget; how cool would it be if they made it into more of an immersive sim rather than their usual walking simulator deal. But I'm so intrigued with the story right now I don't even care.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of wish SOMA had more sophisticated hide-and-seek mechanics, you can't even hide under desks or lockers or anything. That's one way it has been eclipsed by other games aping Amnesia (Alien Isolation, Outlast). But I love its characters, even the posthumous ones.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Thinking about The Evil Within bundle (game, season pass). Any feedback on it? Worth the 25 bucks?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Thinking about The Evil Within bundle (game, season pass). Any feedback on it? Worth the 25 bucks?
The story DLC is a great addition to the overall game, and fleshes out the story in a good way.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Can anyone recommend some cool PS1 or PS2 era horror games I may have missed? I already have played the Fatal Frames, Siren 1 & 2 and have seen Niggurath's LP of Kuon and Rule of Rose. I just feel like playing some older horror games because newer ones aren't really the same in my opinion, for the most part. Too reliant on jump scares or are closer to action games.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Silent hill? Resident evils? How much did you miss of the ps1/2 era is what I'm asking here

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Silent hill? Resident evils? How much did you miss of the ps1/2 era is what I'm asking here

I mostly kept up with the at the time mainstream games like Silent Hill and Resident Evil. I'm kind of looking more for neat but obscure horror games that I overlooked.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I REALLY like clock tower and still emulate it from time to time, but is definitely graphically rough. Parasite eve KINDA works as horror, especially the first one (and if you don't mind rpgs).. ill think some more here and get back to you :)

Edit: the first Dino Crisis as well

My friend chimed in and said: Haunting Ground (haven't played it myself) and Clock Tower 3 (have played and enjoyed but some people don't like)

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 30, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pyrolocutus posted:

For $25, yeah. It's very similar to Resident Evil 4, but with a different dynamic to how some of it goes (like more emphasis on stealth and stealth kills and less "Do really well or die" balance to the battles than RE4).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think Evil Within has some of the best lighting ever of any video game, the look of the old mansion and the village in the beginning is nuts. I love that game.

Some things to keep in mind due to how the game works and is balanced:

When you get the chance to upgrade your character, I'd worry first about increasing stamina so you can run longer and ammunition capacity for whatever you prefer using. The default amount of time you can sprint is very low, and you'll want to increase this ASAP since it make take a bit for you to get used to the game's pacing and how far you can push sneaking up on enemies. You can lose the trail and hide at times like in Clock Tower so running isn't a bad idea if it gets intense.

The game couldn't care less if you live or die and will very quickly switch from atmospheric and slow paced exploration to oh hey ten enemies all just started running at you at once have fun with that. There are traps, flammable things, etc. all over the game that you need to quickly make use of when this happens, which brings us to...

Matches. Matches are amazing. Basically, the game's regular enemies die from you shooting them enough or killing them stealthily. However, you can kill a stunned enemy instantly by dropping a match on it. This is important because if an enemy touches one that's already burning to death, they also catch on fire instantly and burn to death too!

This makes for a lot of moments where you feel like the ultimate badass because you kick over a flammable object or stand in front of a pool of oil as folks charge at you and take out several by dropping a lit match on the ground. Doing this and getting enemies to set off the traps around you is the coolest thing in the game.

However, early in the game you get the wonderfully named Agony Crossbow. This thing is real powerful, and it fires various specialized ammunition too that can stun, incinerate, etc. enemies. Basically this and the shotgun were the only firearms I ever used. Throwing other stuff and setting things on fire rounds it out. I like the electric crossbow bolts because they can stun a few enemies simultaneously. Like in RE4 if you upgrade a crossbow ammo to max it gets some super rad extra effect.

It's possible to ignore this and just play the game like RE4 where you go for head shots with your guns and generally just walk around shooting folks, but ammo is scarce enough that I wouldn't suggest this unless your aim is very precise. Like I couldn't do this at all on console.

There are bottles around that you can throw to distract enemies as needed. The cool thing though is that if you hit an enemy in the head with one, it will stun them for a bit so that you can actually walk right up to their face and do a "stealth" kill from the front. This is a good way to save time and ammo in the less populated parts of the game. Also a good way to set up burning one to death if you're in a narrow area and more enemies are coming your way.

Watch out for traps! These will do some heavy damage to you, but they can be disarmed without too much trouble. If you can keep track of were they are, NOT disarming them can be beneficial as they'll mess up enemies just as effectively as they do you.

Invisible enemies. Have fun! :D

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I saw that Darkest Dungeon is on sale for Halloween, ($15 down from $20,) and I thought I might pick it up and wait until "official release" to play it. Anyone up-to-date on how the development is coming, and whether or not it's enjoyable enough to buy into? I heard they added instant-death heart attacks and a bunch of people were kind of up in arms about it.

Captain Yossarian posted:

My friend chimed in and said: Haunting Ground (haven't played it myself) and Clock Tower 3 (have played and enjoyed but some people don't like)
Haunting Ground does stalker horror very very well, much better than Clock Tower 3, but the plot is pretty heavy on the "women are objects!" Which I guess is kind of part of the horror? If you're feeling generous?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also for The Evil Within, look for little white statues and shatter them. The keys inside will unlock lockers in your "safe space" with supplies, which are persistent if you don't collect all of them. So if you open a locker with 10 revolver rounds and only have room in your inventory to take 4, the rest of the box remains in the locker for you to come back and take them when you start running low again.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Im replaying moonlight syndrome and holy gently caress I forgot that it was pretty much all dialogue. Some pretty good atmospheric dialogue (I love the techno scene at the start) but it takes ages to get into any scary bits, and even then none of it is dynamic in any way.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can anyone recommend some cool PS1 or PS2 era horror games I may have missed? I already have played the Fatal Frames, Siren 1 & 2 and have seen Niggurath's LP of Kuon and Rule of Rose. I just feel like playing some older horror games because newer ones aren't really the same in my opinion, for the most part. Too reliant on jump scares or are closer to action games.
I always wanted to play Echo Night Beyond, but it doesn't emulate well. Also it's probably only considered borderline horror, in that there are ghosts and supernatural poo poo but it might not be entirely what you'd call scary. Or maybe Hungry Ghosts, though it was never translated.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Niggurath posted:

I always wanted to play Echo Night Beyond, but it doesn't emulate well. Also it's probably only considered borderline horror, in that there are ghosts and supernatural poo poo but it might not be entirely what you'd call scary. Or maybe Hungry Ghosts, though it was never translated.

I totally forgot about Hungry Ghosts and I've got a moderate grasp of Japanese. Thanks!

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I totally forgot about Hungry Ghosts and I've got a moderate grasp of Japanese. Thanks!

Been on my list for ages but I'm not in Japan right now, nor do I have a computer that can emulate it. I'm stuck with PS1 games if you've got any to recommend. Anything except Twilight/Moonlight Syndrome and Yuuyami Doori Tankentai. I might try Gakkou no Kaidan but it looks a bit boring.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Thanks for the response. I'll finish this and then I'd going to try and get through REmake without cracking and turning the game off like a baby, but I will keep The Condemned in mind for the future

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

Been on my list for ages but I'm not in Japan right now, nor do I have a computer that can emulate it. I'm stuck with PS1 games if you've got any to recommend. Anything except Twilight/Moonlight Syndrome and Yuuyami Doori Tankentai. I might try Gakkou no Kaidan but it looks a bit boring.

Hmm. Off the top of my head, there is Hellnight, otherwise known as Dark Messiah. I wouldn't say it's an amazing game but it's a pretty unique one, you have an unkillable monster always stalking you and if it catches you it's a one hit kill. You can get partners who have special abilities like letting you know where the monster is on the map and there's multiple endings.

If you have a PC that isn't literally from the 90s, you could check out White Day too. I've actually not played this one, but the premise sounds interesting; you're a high schooler sneaking into school to plant chocolates on the desk of some girl you like for White Day but as you get to the school, supernatural forces overtake it and possess the janitors patrolling the grounds. So you have to turn lights off and hide in the dark to evade the janitors, but the dark is also where the ghosts reside. Only problem is that it was only released in Korea but there is a fan translation patch.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Thanks for the response. I'll finish this and then I'd going to try and get through REmake without cracking and turning the game off like a baby, but I will keep The Condemned in mind for the future

Heh. I know horror can be subjective but it's kind of funny how you think Fatal Frame isn't scary but REmake is, I'm the total opposite. Playing the first Fatal Frame for the first time wore on my nerves while I only really got tense around Lisa Trevor in REmake.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I just picked up Curse: The Eye of Isis on Steam. It came out on PC, PS2 and Xbox Classic. I've mostly heard it's middling, but it's an option. It's early in the PS2 lifetime, plays very classic RE-like.

Not related but I also grabbed The Darkness Within and The Haunted: Hell's Reach. I've mostly heard good things about The Darkness Within, and The haunted started out as a UT3 mod and the full release isn't much different, but it looks like it'll be fun to mess around in for a couple hours.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Poulpe posted:

I saw that Darkest Dungeon is on sale for Halloween, ($15 down from $20,) and I thought I might pick it up and wait until "official release" to play it. Anyone up-to-date on how the development is coming, and whether or not it's enjoyable enough to buy into? I heard they added instant-death heart attacks and a bunch of people were kind of up in arms about it.

Haunting Ground does stalker horror very very well, much better than Clock Tower 3, but the plot is pretty heavy on the "women are objects!" Which I guess is kind of part of the horror? If you're feeling generous?
Darkest Dungeon is incredible already, it's the most fully featured Early Access I've played. Most of the work being done now is adding the remaining dungeons, the core game is being balanced constantly but is really solid.

The heart attacks were a good change, but they can be switched off in the options.

It's on the slower side of the tactical turn based genre but that's very much my thing. The style is awesome, the game has style oozing out its eldritch pores.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Darkest Dungeon is incredible already, it's the most fully featured Early Access I've played. Most of the work being done now is adding the remaining dungeons, the core game is being balanced constantly but is really solid.

The heart attacks were a good change, but they can be switched off in the options.

It's on the slower side of the tactical turn based genre but that's very much my thing. The style is awesome, the game has style oozing out its eldritch pores.

The thing that really makes me hesitant is more the "town management" element of maintaining this roster of mooks- if I'm going to have level 15 guys keeling over (or becoming otherwise useless) in the final dungeon I really dislike the idea of being made to grind up a fresh batch of friends from level 1 through all previous areas over and over.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Poulpe posted:

The thing that really makes me hesitant is more the "town management" element of maintaining this roster of mooks- if I'm going to have level 15 guys keeling over (or becoming otherwise useless) in the final dungeon I really dislike the idea of being made to grind up a fresh batch of friends from level 1 through all previous areas over and over.

Your town upgrades persist and make it a lot easier and cheaper to bring new guys up to speed. At least that's my impression, I haven't gotten all that far in DD in the intermittent time I've messed with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Agnostalgia posted:

Your town upgrades persist and make it a lot easier and cheaper to bring new guys up to speed. At least that's my impression, I haven't gotten all that far in DD in the intermittent time I've messed with it.
Town upgrades do help a lot up to a certain point, but you still need to get characters to actually survive dungeons and get the XP to level up for the harder dungeons.

This is where the finer parts of the gameplay come in, you have to decide how much risk you're willing to take on in pushing through to the next difficulty. The game stresses pretty hard right up front that you will lose people, sometimes you'll just get a string of bad luck. It never feels unfair though, a lot of it is on the player to balance the desire to clear that last room when everyone is bottoming out on health vs. play it safe and abandon the treasure and XP.