Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Necc0 posted:

I should really get around to watching this lol

it's loving amazing and is a pro watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Logikv9 posted:

If the Republicans want to start kicking out all forms of LIBERAL MAINSTREAM MEDIA for their debates, I'm all for it. The further into their echochamber they go the weaker they are for the general :getin:

I mean serious talk, those were not gotcha questions, it's not the moderators fault that all the candidates are full of poo poo and proposing insane tax plans. Are they planning on boycotting the general election debates too? Whoever wins is going to get shredded in the general if they keep this poo poo up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bob Ojeda posted:

Jeb is way stiffer... than Mitt, honestly.

Impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJKW7ea1oc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

As a reminder, the Democratic debate started with this softball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ler8JkIZJkA

And the republican one started out with "Are you a comic book character?"

The equivalent question for the democrats would have been "Are you a flip flops wearing flip flopper like John Kerry?"

Alternatively "will you continue to assassinate your opponents such as Vince Foster and ambassador Stevens while in office?"

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

So he "only" has piles of money, the biggest organization, and a bunch of endorsements, but is stiff and unliked by the media?

Jeb is just SO BAD at his campaign. If there was a single moment where he looked like a President instead of a buffoon, I'd agree with you. Romney at least had the 'look'.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

hobbesmaster posted:

And the republican one started out with "Are you a comic book character?"

Yes, but that was to Donald Trump, who is a comic book character.

The next question was about the details of a candidate's tax plan and whether a 10% tithe was a good basis for funding a government.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Stiff" isn't the right word to describe Jeb, though. Stiff implies a certain hardness and resistance which aren't qualities I'd ascribe to him. I'd rather call him soft of floppy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mrit posted:

Jeb is just SO BAD at his campaign. If there was a single moment where he looked like a President instead of a buffoon, I'd agree with you. Romney at least had the 'look'.

I don't know, Jeb! looks a lot like a President. Two of them, in fact.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Three Olives posted:

I mean serious talk, those were not gotcha questions, it's not the moderators fault that all the candidates are full of poo poo and proposing insane tax plans. Are they planning on boycotting the general election debates too? Whoever wins is going to get shredded in the general if they keep this poo poo up.

Of course not, but anything less than a "Tell us why you are much better than noted liar Hillary Clinton" or "Tell us about how your tax plan will save the middle class?" would have been called unfair or "gotcha". They just want a safe place where they can say their craziest poo poo and have the moderators politely nod and not fact-check.

Serious debates would help weed out the crazies from the sane, and the sane would move on to the general. Ridiculously biased debates (or just whining about them) leads to a higher chance that a loving awful candidate will move on, so they can be thoroughly eviscerated by moderators/Hillary.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Joementum posted:

So he "only" has piles of money, the biggest organization, and a bunch of endorsements, but is stiff and unliked by the media?

Romney never polled so low, he was always a strong second place. And his unfavorables were at least tied to his favorables in 2011. The endorsement and organization game is still up in the air at this point, and I dont think Jebs campaign looks like a winner to most people

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bob Ojeda posted:

Also, I would suspect he has fewer endorsements? But I don't have any factual basis for saying that

Luckily 538 does!

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-endorsement-primary/

538 only tracks currently- serving Congressmen, Senators, and Governors, and assigns them a point value (1 for Congressmen, 5 for Senators, and 10 for Governors).

Jeb's list isn't that impressive for an endorsement leader especially since if you take out the dozen Florida Congressmen on the list there's barely anyone relevant left. (Pete Sessions and Orrin Hatch are basically the only national players)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Mr. Andrew Lack
Chairman, NBC News
30 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, New York 10112

Dear Mr. Lack,

I write to inform you that pending further discussion between the Republican National Committee (RNC) and our presidential campaigns, we are suspending the partnership with NBC News for the Republican primary debate at the University of Houston on February 26, 2016. The RNC’s sole role in the primary debate process is to ensure that our candidates are given a full and fair opportunity to lay out their vision for America’s future. We simply cannot continue with NBC without full consultation with our campaigns.

The CNBC network is one of your media properties, and its handling of the debate was conducted in bad faith. We understand that NBC does not exercise full editorial control over CNBC’s journalistic approach. However, the network is an arm of your organization, and we need to ensure there is not a repeat performance.

CNBC billed the debate as one that would focus on “the key issues that matter to all voters—job growth, taxes, technology, retirement and the health of our national economy.” That was not the case. Before the debate, the candidates were promised an opening question on economic or financial matters. That was not the case. Candidates were promised that speaking time would be carefully monitored to ensure fairness. That was not the case. Questions were inaccurate or downright offensive. The first question directed to one of our candidates asked if he was running a comic book version of a presidential campaign, hardly in the spirit of how the debate was billed.

While debates are meant to include tough questions and contrast candidates’ visions and policies for the future of America, CNBC’s moderators engaged in a series of “gotcha” questions, petty and mean-spirited in tone, and designed to embarrass our candidates. What took place Wednesday night was not an attempt to give the American people a greater understanding of our candidates’ policies and ideas.

I have tremendous respect for the First Amendment and freedom of the press. However, I also expect the media to host a substantive debate on consequential issues important to Americans. CNBC did not.

While we are suspending our partnership with NBC News and its properties, we still fully intend to have a debate on that day, and will ensure that National Review remains part of it.

I will be working with our candidates to discuss how to move forward and will be in touch.

Sincerely,

Reince Priebus
Chairman, Republican National Committee

Literal. loving. Children.

"YOU ASKED US HARD QUESTIONS WAAAAAAHHHHHHH :cry:"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

babypolis posted:

Romney never polled so low, he was always a strong second place. And his unfavorables were at least tied to his favorables in 2011. The endorsement and organization game is still up in the air at this point, and I dont think Jebs campaign looks like a winner to most people

He polled this low in 2008. Remember: my argument is not that Jeb! will necessarily be the nominee.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

It helps raise money.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This was magical, Joe :allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
On the other hand it's supremely awesome to see the RNC chair have to defend the very real seriousness of Donald loving Trump

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Not just the media - nobody seems to like ol' Jeb!. He's polling at worse than Romney ever did.

And it's worth noting that most of Jeb!'s "piles of money" rests with the Right to Rise SuperPAC. Which means that if the big money donors funding that SuperPAC decide to cut their losses with Jeb!, and shift that money towards another candidate (or against Hillary) instead, well, there's not a whole lot ol' Jeb! can do about that. Just ask Rick Perry or Scott Walker.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Question: Who does the "Establishment" hate more... Ted Cruz or Donald Trump?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

He polled this low in 2008. Remember: my argument is not that Jeb! will necessarily be the nominee.

What the heck is your point in comparing him to Mitt Romney, then?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Jeb is not inevitable, possibly not even the most likely, for the same reasons that Romney was inevitable even at his lowest points in 2011.

Jeb has the most endorsements of any Republican, but his endorsements represent a very small number of Republican elected officials. Most have yet to make an endorsement. This contrasts with Romney, who at this point had overwhelming support from the party.

Aside from a brief period when Perry was in the lead in mid-2011, Romney had no serious opposition (even the threat Perry really could have posed is questionable), unlike Jeb, who has legitimate alternatives for the establishment GOP in Rubio and Kasich.

In addition, Romney had higher favorables and was consistently in the lead in polls of electability.

Finally, Romney was handsome and looked like a President: Jeb looks like a dweeb.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Joementum posted:

So you are arguing that he will be at least a strong contender and his campaign will mostly ride this out and survive while the field thins? I can see that happening but I think its gonna be more 3rd place at best instead of 2nd or 1st. And ive never seen the media narrative be so negative against a serious candidate, everyone on the political spectrum agrees on basically calling him a failure that should just hurry up and quit

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alter Ego posted:

There's a distinction between hard questions, which some people are complaining about, and outright stupid questions like "is this the comic-book version of a presidential campaign?" That doesn't serve to stimulate debate, discussion, or gather information in any way. It's not a good question, and I have no idea why it was asked when there are so, so many more things you can legitimately question Trump on.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

This election is breaking Joe. :(

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DaveWoo posted:

What the heck is your point in comparing him to Mitt Romney, then?

Despite poor polling, unlikeability, and unfavorable coverage Mitt Romney used his resources to stay in the race and win a bunch of delegates.

Based on the available information, I don't see any reason to think Jeb! is doomed or will drop out imminently. This could be wrong. We don't have all the information, as Scott Walker showed, but from the leaked slides showing $8m in advanced ad spending by the campaign, I'm willing to bet they've got the cash to stick it out through January.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

babypolis posted:

So you are arguing that he will be at least a strong contender and his campaign will mostly ride this out and survive while the field thins?

Yes, I think that's likely.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think people fail to understand Jeb! is equally angry at Trump, and is the only one who can survive with hubris to see the day he crushes Trump beneath his shoe, or bombs spectacularly trying. The Bush family is powerful. Rubio's isn't.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Joementum posted:

Yes, I think that's likely.

I can see it happening but I sure as hell wouldnt bet on it

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

Luckily 538 does!

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-endorsement-primary/

538 only tracks currently- serving Congressmen, Senators, and Governors, and assigns them a point value (1 for Congressmen, 5 for Senators, and 10 for Governors).

Jeb's list isn't that impressive for an endorsement leader especially since if you take out the dozen Florida Congressmen on the list there's barely anyone relevant left. (Pete Sessions and Orrin Hatch are basically the only national players)

The Florida congressmen are important in a way, though, since his main establishment rival is also from Florida

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Despite poor polling, unlikeability, and unfavorable coverage Mitt Romney used his resources to stay in the race and win a bunch of delegates.

Based on the available information, I don't see any reason to think Jeb! is doomed or will drop out imminently. This could be wrong. We don't have all the information, as Scott Walker showed, but from the leaked slides showing $8m in advanced ad spending by the campaign, I'm willing to bet they've got the cash to stick it out through January.

I can agree that Jeb will be around for awhile. And he might even pull out a respectable 3rd-4th place performance once the anti-Hillary ads go out and the base goes into 'Most Electable Republican' mode.
But he's just so *bad* at running for president. I don't see him doing much more than that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Reince Priebus with Donald Trump hair.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Drop out probabilities according to Forbes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

NBC's troll game is strong.

Dunked on by NBC. Just kill yourself now, Prince.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nonsense posted:

I think people fail to understand Jeb! is equally angry at Trump, and is the only one who can survive beyond hubris, the Bush family is powerful. Rubio's isn't.

Rubio has charisma and has shown that he can handle direct attacks on his record and other major weaknesses. Apparently his organizational game is weak but he should be attracting better players at this point.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 22, 2016

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Ah, I see your argument now, Joementum. I agree. Jeb is like Romney in 2008.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Montasque posted:

Question: Who does the "Establishment" hate more... Ted Cruz or Donald Trump?

Trump. Cruz has weaknesses; they can put him down easily just by starving him of money and support.

Trump, on the other hand, is self-financing and running completely scorched-earth--and the idiots love it. They can't touch him, because that makes the idiots love him more. Withdrawing their support won't hurt his bottom line because it won't sway the idiots. They are quite literally WITHOUT recourse when it comes to Trump. He is an amalgam for every negative virtue they have fostered and nurtured for the last eight years--arrogance, racism, sexism, and general unlikability--and because the base thinks that his unfiltered nature is "refreshing" they have nothing.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 30, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I don't know. I can kind of now see Jeb just limping through the whole thing. When the dust settles and everyone's dead there is Jeb Bush with four knives sticking out of him and a self inflicted broken leg.
He'd really need everyone else to really gently caress up though. His only strength is to take all this punishment.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump should be the first president in history to disavow formal procedures. No VP until after he is elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Plus his PAC has spent ~$40m on ads that have yet to air.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Drop out probabilities according to Forbes.

Any site that uses PredictIt as an indicator is stupid. You can only bet $850 maximum per bet and a total of $4,500. The real gamblers don't touch PredictIt.

• Locked thread